Just got off the Connie TA this past Thursday

momofmeg

Karyn, no mention of the tiramisu on our Spring '06 TA?????:D

The assistant maitre d' (now on Century..yea!) brought our table of 8 a tiramisu that was a good two feet across. HUGE. We didn't ask for it, and had ordered other desserts, but he casually asked if we liked it, and we said yes...then this THING arrived, took up the whole center of the table, and we all started digging in....could have used shovels! We ended up sending some to all the surrounding tables. It looked like the kind of thing made up for a specialty buffet, with an elaborate cocoa dusting spelling out the name of the dessert.

My theory(ies): we got LEFT OVERS from some buffet!!!!:p That, and we were drinking so much wine, they wanted to sober us up with coffee! I paid the price, though...kept me up all night(sensitivity to caffiene). Third thought is they did this so they could take pictures of us, like pigs at the trough, to amuse themselves....they brought the big thing to the table...and spoons....and nothing else.... No plates, no nothing!

Love that ship, love the TA's....glad you all had such a nice time.

Andrew

Andrew, I'll NEVER forget the size of that Tiramisu! And I doubt any tables around us will also...I remember using a large soup spoon. And you're probably right about plying us with coffee. The sommeliers should remember our group for a long time.

Karyn

I was on Princess and they brought Espressos and Cappuccinos to our table, at no charge, anytime we asked. I have even had espresso for breakfast in the dining room, gratis. This was about a year or less ago.

Hal is the only one who I know of that has a Cova type café where the coffees are free. It sure is nice. Wish others would join that trend but I don't think they will.

You know me, somewhere around here I have the little table folder complete with gold cord. I, too, am sure those are drinks and coffee drinks but I will make an effort to dig it up tomorrow and let you all know.

Glad everyone made it home safe and reasonably sound!

Well they sure punched my coffee card on the Caribbean Princess. First the waiter ASKED for my other card and I said I had a coffee card so they took that and punched it. Twice I had them at dinner and both times my card was punched.

Maybe your waiter was hoping you would tip him extra.

Meg, we're not on the Century TA, but a Med cruise...but we are spending some time afterwards.....truly, to spend time on land in Europe, and then float casually home is the best! Next year, it's round trip TA's! (as my signature says, sort of an expensive way to spend 12 hours in Southampton, but really looking forward to those TA's.

However, we did the Hawaii cruise on Infinity last year, and it was AWESOME...almost like the TA's as you get four days over and four days back....not a bad compromise if you get to pick the following year! (UPDATE: just read about the housing remodel...we're looking at property...which will put a crimp in the travel budget beyond '08, so I feel your pain!)

Andrew

Andrew that is the one I want to do-cruise over and cruise back. I still have a 4 hour flight both ways from Ga to CA but that beats the 10 hour flight to Hawaii! (further to fly there then London for us) Tony was afraid he would be bored sea days but he loved the lectures and now he says he is fine with lots of sea days!

This thread is a great example of how rumors start and spread...

The 'book' is not new, it has always been there, and it contains a list of after dinner cocktails with confusing names like Tiramisu and Creme Brulee.

The desert versions of both are on of the regular menu, free of charge, and if you ask your assistant Maitre'd one day in advance, you can even enjoy them on days they are not on the menu.

Celebrity does not charge for deserts.

Best Regards,

Floris

This thread is a great example of how rumors start and spread...

The 'book' is not new, it has always been there, and it contains a list of after dinner cocktails with confusing names like Tiramisu and Creme Brulee.

The desert versions of both are on of the regular menu, free of charge, and if you ask your assistant Maitre'd one day in advance, you can even enjoy them on days they are not on the menu.

Celebrity does not charge for deserts.

Best Regards,

Floris

Floris if you read the whole thread-we are not even talking about that anymore and I for one, was not upset anyway-only Brad was. -and I am not sure why he was upset-since his cruise is on RCI.

I am glad it was explained to me though-next time I will try the drink.

Perhaps I am less sensitive to cool temperatures than others, but I never felt that the public rooms were especially chilly and never felt the need for a sweater or jacket except when we were out on deck during some of the sea days or in the evening. In all of the ports the temperatures were quite comfortable and a bit warmer than we had expected. It was very windy in St. John's, however, so a jacket or windbreaker was advisable.

Loved it! but one thing I wanted to ask-do you always pay extra for tirimasu? I loved that and the chocolate mousse and was disapointed the tirmasui was pay extra-one good thing though-I had TONS of chocolate mousse-I had it every day!

Welcome back!

Did the Constellation have the new beds and beddings?

Thanks,

Kel

On the Connie, there were a few desserts and coffees (cappacinos, expressos, lattes etc.) listed in this little book on our table. None of the desserts listed I would have been interested in anyway except the tiramsui. I saw it nowhere on ship, not even in the Oceanliners (Connie's specialty restuarant), there I had chocolate mousse in a crepe, instead of chocolate mousse layered in cake or chocolate mousse alone.

I am not outraged, there was lots of good stuff, just a little dispointed.

Did that little menu have specialty coffees on one side a listing of things that sounded like dessrts on the other?

Those so called "desserts" in the little book were really alcoholic drinks - not desserts. That is why there is a charge. My husband ordered one on one of our cruises- it might have been the tiramisu- and it was postively yummy (he only let me have a sip).

Check this out... http://www.gemac.gr/tiramisu.gif ...it's delish and if you like the dessert, tiramisu, you'll LOVE the liqueur it's made with. And, yes, it's most definitely something you could sip!

We never knew that there is a tiramisu liqueur in addition to the beautifully delicious tiramisu layered cake. If I can find it I will certainly try some. We lived in northern Italy for a few months in 1991, in the city of Pordenone, about 60 miles north of Venice. We ate tiramisu there, but the best we ever had was in Munich, Germany. Before you say "no way", the chef was from Naples.

Some places here in the U. S. will have tiramisu which is made with "lady fingers" on the menu. There should be a law against that.

Our Italian experience made us kind of Italian Americans. We also experienced Prosecco while there and are still drinking it here. What a great wine! Regardless of the price, I have found each and every bottle to be delicious.

Bob :p

Hi Bob:)

"Some places here in the U. S. will have tiramisu which is made with "lady fingers" on the menu. There should be a law against that."

Hmmm......some places? Every place I have ever eaten Taramisu

has been made with Lady Fingers.:eek: :confused:

What is wrong with it? Not the correct recipie???

I am always up for learning new things....:D

In planning my clothing for an upcoming cruise on the Connie, I'm taking several extra large scarves and wraps. On two Connie cruises last fall I joked I was the only passenger on a Carribean cruise wearing a muffler in the dining room at breakast. The public rooms were freezing for me, particularly. I wondered if the Connie even had heat. This didn't deter me from the upcoming cruise but I will be prepared again.

Jan

Thanks for the update!

2 of group of 3 are always cold (I am one of them!) so I agree it is good to come prepared for cooler temperatures in the public rooms. If there is a cold spot anywhere, we will find it!

I will go with my original plan to make sure every evening outfit has either a jacket or sweater to go with it just in case it proves to be cold on the ship.

MARAPRINCE

Hi Bob:)

"Some places here in the U. S. will have tiramisu which is made with "lady fingers" on the menu. There should be a law against that."

Hmmm......some places? Every place I have ever eaten Taramisu

has been made with Lady Fingers.:eek: :confused:

What is wrong with it? Not the correct recipie???I am always up for learning new things....:D

In our opinion the "lady finger" base is just not as good as the "made from scratch" sponge cake which is cut into several layers with the custard placed between layers. Italians just know how to do some things better than other people.

The Italians are in the process of developing the modern Roman Empire. Have you noticed how many Italian restaurants are opening in cities all across the world? This is how they are conquering all important countries.:D

Bob :rolleyes:

In our opinion the "lady finger" base is just not as good as the "made from scratch" sponge cake which is cut into several layers with the custard placed between layers. Italians just know how to do some things better than other people.

The Italians are in the process of developing the modern Roman Empire. Have you noticed how many Italian restaurants are opening in cities all across the world? This is how they are conquering all important countries.:D

Bob :rolleyes:

Oh...well, ok...I agree many homemade desserts are better than

not homemade.

Baking is a specialty that is for sure. Guess I have been

lucky, the times I have had Taramisu (even with lady fingers)

it has been very good:)

When you mentioned there should be a law against lady fingers

it just threw me for a loop a bit;)

My Mom didn't make Italian desserts....but she did do

homemade rugulach:D

Oh...well, ok...I agree many homemade desserts are better than

not homemade.

Baking is a specialty that is for sure. Guess I have been

lucky, the times I have had Taramisu (even with lady fingers)

it has been very good:)

When you mentioned there should be a law against lady fingers

it just threw me for a loop a bit;)

My Mom didn't make Italian desserts....but she did do

homemade rugulach:D

When you check out http://www.heavenlytiramisu.com/basic.htm you will find many recipes for tiramisu. Most of them use ladyfingers. To see at least two which do not, click on Walter Carlini and Emeril Lagasse.

My wife says that she recalls that the tiramisu in Italy, and the extraordinary one we had in Munich, were only two layers of cake, with custard between. We have been arguing this matter for hours, but perhaps she is correct. We both agree that the cake was not ladyfingers. In any case, we had a great time during our four month stay in Italy.

I see you are in Jacksonville. A high school classmate, and friend, from Missouri is a retired orthopedic surgeon there. Both of us have gone back to Jeff City for all high school reunions of our class. Your Jaguars also have Matt Jones from Arkansas on the team. He ought to be playing a whole lot more.

Let's all toast to tiramisu and all the great Italian foods. :p

Bob :cool:

Hi Bob.....:)

If Matt Jones would catch the ball he would play more:rolleyes: :eek:

He was our #1 draft pick:confused: ......he might have been your QB

but if he doesn't start doing what he is paid millions to do he

he will continue to see more of the bench than the field.

Oh this is waaayyyy off topic of food and cruising.

I love Taramisu and I think I might try the drink from the

adult beverage drink menu next time too:)

My wife says that she recalls that the tiramisu in Italy, and the extraordinary one we had in Munich, were only two layers of cake, with custard between. We have been arguing this matter for hours, but perhaps she is correct. We both agree that the cake was not ladyfingers. In any case, we had a great time during our four month stay in Italy.

:cool:

I think the difference is the kind of ladyfingers used by most restaurants in Italy as well as the quality of the ingredients.

My experience with the foods there overall is that everything tastes soooo much better. The chickens and cattle are raised without hormones and look and taste very different than we get here. And the veggies are simply wonderful!

I am not a big dessert eater but will indulge in a bite or two of tiramisu when someone else orders it:). The ones I have had in Italy (mostly Tuscany) are prepared differently than some of the more elaborate interpretations here and on cruise ships.

JME.

The tiramisu in Italy are also made with ladyfingers. Actually a type of cookie called saviardi which are more dense and not as soft as our ladyfingers. All the better to soak up that strong sweet coffee. Most tiramisu in Italy are very very sweet. Much sweeter than the ones we have here or on any ship. As are most desserts in Italy, much sweeter than we would be used to. You will also find that every different region in Italy will make the same dessert a little different.

Archived