What do you think of my Ebay win?

leavitt1

Hello everyone. Prompted by the success I've noticed on this board of late with winning great dresses on Ebay, I decided to browse online last night. I found an evening gown that I think will be great for the cruise, and I made a "best offer" of $39.99, a little less than half of what she was asking ($89. List price $119.99). She just accepted :D , and now I'm experiencing a bit of buyer's remorse :eek: . Please reassure me that this is an acceptable formal night dress. Or tell me that it isn't so I can resign myself to turning it around and reselling it. I know it's not a "$4.99 dress" but I think it was a good deal. :confused:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200107837611#ebayphotohosting

(Scroll down the page for closer pictures of the detailing)

Thanks,

Michelle

I think you got a bargin... I am the $4.99 dress owner but my formal night dress was more... BUT I got it on ebay also... I love ebay... won a sweater tonight too LOL...

I think that dress is beautiful and will look fabulous on formal night...

I think that is a lovely dress and will look beautiful for formal night. My formal dress on the other thread is from Marina (I got it at the local SteinMart) and is one of my two favorites.

The making an offer thing is relatively new on eBay and I have never tried it. It sounds like you got a great deal. Enjoy!!

It looks like the kind of dress that you can dress up or down! It actually looks a lot like a dress that I have only mine is longer.....gown length.

Mine is very comfortable and I love the dress! Enjoy yours!

Thank you all for your replies. I'm feeling better about it. Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed that it fits!:rolleyes:

nlb1050: It's tricky finding those plus sized formals, isn't it? I spent the afternoon shopping for a bridesmaid dress with a good friend of mine that's getting married in April. It was me and her size 6 sister. At least there were a few that weren't bad. Sadly I think she's leaning toward one of the ones that I wasn't so sure of...Oh well. It's one day of my life, right? :o

Michelle

I think you got a good deal on a beautiful dress! It'll be great for formal night.

PS- You got me wanting to shop again and I was browsing around the seller's store. I almost bought something until I saw that they charge $25 for shipping! :eek: Did they cut you a better deal on shipping by any chance?

leavitt1, I see that a lot on eBay. The seller recoups the loss of selling at a low price by charging a high ship cost, saying that they don't charge 'handling' fees.

Your dress is lovely. You will shine on formal night.

nursemindy - your dress is so cute and tropical!

GOOD JOB LADIES !!

Congrats on your great purchase of a dress! That is gorgeous! It will look fabulous for formal night!

I am in the shopping mood as well and can't stop! My last cruise I bought 5 formals and wore them each night after the first night of the 7 day cruise! I guess that's why I spent so much money on pictures - I can't do that again cause hubby will kill me!

Thanks everyone! Hmm shoes and jewelry. Well, I guess I need to wait until the dress comes in (It shipped today) in order to decide on the shoes. I have a pair of dressy sandels that might work with it. Otherwise I'll just have to go shopping! :D As for jewelry, does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking I could wear my diamond heart, and a pair of simple studs or hoops in my ears. But does a dress of this kind need bolder jewelry? Help!

Michelle

Shipping was $11 on the dress I won. $25 is REALLY high! :eek: Are you sure you read it correctly?

Michelle

Yep, I read it correctly. I also checked a few other listings to see if maybe I didn't read it right. :) It was for Express mail and there were no other shipping options listed. I might drop the seller a line and ask. I could stomach $11 but not $25! :eek:

Hello all,

So the dress came in today, and it is as pretty as it looked online, AND it fits! :D But (why is there always a "but"?) some of the beading is loose/coming off or is even already off in a few spots leaving visible threads. :eek: The dress came with a bag of replacement beads, but I feel that the seller should have listed this as a problem with the dress. So... do i try to return the dress, or do I find a seamstress that is willing to touch it up and reenforce the loose parts? I sent a message to the sellar stating the problem and saying that I thought she was remiss for having left this part out of the description.

Michelle

I agree that the seller should have mentioned the loose beading. But with that said, I shop at good stores including Saks 5th Ave and Macy's, and usually have to make a few repairs to the beading. It's not that difficult once you get the hang of it, but it is a little tedious. I wouldn't worry about making it perfect, because no one will notice because it is black on black. Just repair it to the point that nothing will fall off. Your dress is a great value for the money, and is a classic style that you can wear for years. Enjoy...

Hello all,

So the dress came in today, and it is as pretty as it looked online, AND it fits! :D But (why is there always a "but"?) some of the beading is loose/coming off or is even already off in a few spots leaving visible threads. :eek: The dress came with a bag of replacement beads, but I feel that the seller should have listed this as a problem with the dress. So... do i try to return the dress, or do I find a seamstress that is willing to touch it up and reenforce the loose parts? I sent a message to the sellar stating the problem and saying that I thought she was remiss for having left this part out of the description.

Michelle

I think you paid an excellent price for the dress and it's worth sewing the missing beads back on, IMO. Have your seamstress look for other possible loose threads too.

I agree that you should tell the seller that she should have told you about the missing beads. And as for feedback, I'd still give her a positive feedback.

It's a pretty dress and I'm glad it fits. Enjoy!

Archived