Mercury - Refurbishing Due?

cruisecrasy

If the itinerary is perfect, you could always consider choosing a less-expensive cabin (an inside, perhaps?) as an intro-to-Celebrity cruise. That way, you can see for yourself if the condition of the ship/cabins is acceptable or unacceptable without spending nearly as much money. On the other hand, if you would rather choose another ship/line, I wish you good luck with that and I hope you have a great cruise.

I concur...it is a lot of $$$ to have negative vibes about..Good to do ones homework before one cruises & knowing your own requirements....

I am really disappointed in those suites on the Mercury, having talked to others and been on my favorite cruising site - CC of course - and, as I said, perusing all the photos I can find.

Celebrity has been a 'want to try' for awhile now and this particular itinerary was perfect. Unfortunately this ships Sky Suites aren't for me, but perhaps in the future (especially if/when it has had an upgrade)...I never say never :0)

May u also have great cruisin'!!

The sky suites are absolutely wonderful, great location and huge veranda's. I really don't know who you are talking to but over the years, those suites have always received rave reviews. Each to his own, I'd take one again in a heartbeat.

You are too nice Lois. Why aren't you selfish like me? :cool:

Hi Texed...thanks:) but you are nice as well.

And I have been called way worse than selfish before...so don't

feel alone:eek:

I concur...it is a lot of $$$ to have negative vibes about..Good to do ones homework before one cruises & knowing your own requirements....

I am really disappointed in those suites on the Mercury, having talked to others and been on my favorite cruising site - CC of course - and, as I said, perusing all the photos I can find.

Celebrity has been a 'want to try' for awhile now and this particular itinerary was perfect. Unfortunately this ships Sky Suites aren't for me, but perhaps in the future (especially if/when it has had an upgrade)...I never say never :0)

May u also have great cruisin'!!

I agree that there is just no excuse for allowing any cabin become as worn as many of the cabins have become. One poster said that "worn & dirty to one person is not that way to another". Worn & dirty should be worn & dirty to everyone; now if you are willing to accept this as just part of cruising that is another issue altogether. I have also seen many pictures of the suites and was shocked that they were not in the best of condition for the amount of extra money that a suite costs.

I am sailing on the Galaxy next March and most reports say that the ship is very tired and needs a lot of TLC that it apparently has not been receiving. I think the new Solstice class will return some Celebrity ships to the status that they had enjoyed for so many years.

Wavemaster, I said it.....and I just returned from Mercury

and she did not look worn and old to me. If that makes my opinion

wrong...oh wait, opinions are just that...opinions! She looked beautiful

to me!:)

I am also sailing Galaxy in March and looking forward to it very

much.:) Celebrating my 50th birthday and I plan to have

a fantastic time.

Wavemaster, I said it.....and I just returned from Mercury

and she did not look worn and old to me. If that makes my opinion

wrong...oh wait, opinions are just that...opinions! She looked beautiful

to me!:)

I am also sailing Galaxy in March and looking forward to it very

much.:) Celebrating my 50th birthday and I plan to have

a fantastic time.

I apologize if you took my comment the wrong way. I just meant that how food tastes is an opinion but comparing worn & dirty to new & clean are, in my opinion, a little more than an opinion and deal closer to facts.

I am also on the Galaxy in March and I am planning on having a much need relaxing vacation!

I agree that there is just no excuse for allowing any cabin become as worn as many of the cabins have become. One poster said that "worn & dirty to one person is not that way to another". Worn & dirty should be worn & dirty to everyone; now if you are willing to accept this as just part of cruising that is another issue altogether. I have also seen many pictures of the suites and was shocked that they were not in the best of condition for the amount of extra money that a suite costs.

I am sailing on the Galaxy next March and most reports say that the ship is very tired and needs a lot of TLC that it apparently has not been receiving. I think the new Solstice class will return some Celebrity ships to the status that they had enjoyed for so many years.

How do you KNOW how worn and dirty "many of the cabins" have become? How many cabins on Mercury have you personally set foot in? How many (different) cabins have you seen pictures of? Were the pictures really of such quality that you could detect the degree to which things were "worn and dirty"? You are presenting yourself as an expert, here, on the overall condition of "many of the cabins" on a ship, and I'd like to hear what qualifies you.

For the record, I have stayed in ONE cabin on Mercury and peeked into several others. I didn't find any wear and tear that was worse than other ships I've been on or hotels I've stayed in. I didn't find the wear unacceptable at all. Now I concede that there may be other cabins with huge issues, but I didn't see them. Neither did Lois. Did you?

I apologize if you took my comment the wrong way. I just meant that how food tastes is an opinion but comparing worn & dirty to new & clean are, in my opinion, a little more than an opinion and deal closer to facts.

I am also on the Galaxy in March and I am planning on having a much need relaxing vacation!

Thanks for the apology. Accepted. But I will respectfully disagree

with your post. Opinions are just that...when you said food is more

of an opinion? We have differing points of view on all of this it seems.

I did not find the ship worn and dirty...again, I just sailed her

on Oct 12th. As I stated earlier, in my opinion she looked wonderful.

As for the cabins, mine looked great. The carpets looked new,

the bathroom shined, the curtain clean.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

How do you KNOW how worn and dirty "many of the cabins" have become? How many cabins on Mercury have you personally set foot in? How many (different) cabins have you seen pictures of? Were the pictures really of such quality that you could detect the degree to which things were "worn and dirty"? You are presenting yourself as an expert, here, on the overall condition of "many of the cabins" on a ship, and I'd like to hear what qualifies you.

For the record, I have stayed in ONE cabin on Mercury and peeked into several others. I didn't find any wear and tear that was worse than other ships I've been on or hotels I've stayed in. I didn't find the wear unacceptable at all. Now I concede that there may be other cabins with huge issues, but I didn't see them. Neither did Lois. Did you?

How generous of u admitting that there may be other cabins with huge issues but just because YOU didn't see them u are rude enough to ask this poster to qualify themselves???????

Yes, we did see them, in the pictures I mentioned and indirectly in this thread in posts by people who have actually recently stayed in a Sky Suite..

Did u & Lois R stay in or view all the Sky Suites - lets compare apples to apples please not apples to oranges.. Plse take a look at some pictures yourself..

U don't have to be even a little skeptical to see that they are at the very least 'old' looking (the TVs alone are dinosaurs) & with rather 'tacky, rumpled' decor - I mean look at the bedspreads! They should be embarrassed that the pictures on the web show the Sky Suites in such a manner..

In my 'opinion', for whatever it is worth after 25+ cruises mostly in suites, they are certainly NOT up to any mid-range cruiselines standard - in fact 'substandard' is more like it - which I believe is what we were talking about - no matter how nice other cabins are on the Mercury!

Shame that it has to be 'new' ships to do that - not maintaining the old ones also...

Obviously do not care about reputation then..

Happy cruisin'!

Drew:

I find this whole thing rather curious. Since the bedding was just done on the Mercury as well as the whole fleet, to make these judgements based upon some old pictures seems a little odd. I mean the ship was just redone in April with major work being accomplished and there have been more positive reviews than negative. Again, give me a sky suite in a heartbeat, I;ll live in a suite that was just worked on in April and has brand new bedding.

Just for the record here is the press release re: the recent drydock.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=0000QgZVMr7c7Hj0PbmltXPjv-p:12hdebcnj?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2007-04-04&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

One poster in the whole thread said they thought the furniture was dated, several said they found nothing wrong with the sky suites.

U don't have to be even a little skeptical to see that they are at the very least 'old' looking (the TVs alone are dinosaurs) & with rather 'tacky, rumpled' decor - I mean look at the bedspreads! They should be embarrassed that the pictures on the web show the Sky Suites in such a manner..

Just for the heck of it, I checked the 360 degree photos of Mercury Sky Suites on Celebrity's site. Granted, the TV is not a flat screen, but "tacky, rumpled decor"?? The bedspread looks new to me. What picture did you see on their site? Maybe the photos you saw were taken prior to last April's drydock.

The bedspread comment threw me off too:confused: Before I booked our April/08 Mercury cruise I called Celebrity and asked if the inside cabins had the new bedding. The rep said "all the cabins on the ship had been replaced with the new bedding".

Also on page 5 of my Alaska brochure it has the following statement...

"Sweet Dreams New Bedding on all ships

All the bedding in every suite and stateroom has been given a complete makeover, with new 100% cotton duvet covers, quilted bedding, European shams and custom-made Italian pillow top mattresses. Now you can easily drift off into a deep sleep in total comfort, free to dream of the wonders that await you tommorrow":)

The pictures of the old bedding must of been just that...old pictures. Probably taken before the April/07 refurbishment.

CaribbeanCrazy

The bedspread comment threw me off too:confused: Before I booked our April/08 Mercury cruise I called Celebrity and asked if the inside cabins had the new bedding. The rep said "all the cabins on the ship had been replaced with the new bedding".

Also on page 5 of my Alaska brochure it has the following statement...

"Sweet Dreams New Bedding on all ships

All the bedding in every suite and stateroom has been given a complete makeover, with new 100% cotton duvet covers, quilted bedding, European shams and custom-made Italian pillow top mattresses. Now you can easily drift off into a deep sleep in total comfort, free to dream of the wonders that await you tommorrow":)

The pictures of the old bedding must of been just that...old pictures. Probably taken before the April/07 refurbishment.

CaribbeanCrazy

Hello Drew:

I have not been on the Mercury for about two years but I can assure you that the ship at that time was in bad condition.

Thank you. If you had said that in the first place, I wouldn't have had the response I did. I feel that your earlier post suggested that you had more recent and complete knowledge. I'm sure that you were not trying to mislead, but that's how it seemed to come across. To me, at least.

FYI, I have sailed on about thirty cruise ships and on many cruise lines. I don't know if you have a lot of experience or are just showing off what little experience that you have cruising. Do you have a lot of experience on Celebrity as well as all the other cruise lines?

I have cruised five times. Twice with Celebrity and three times with Carnival. I never try to hide that, nor suggest that I am more experienced nor knowledgable than I am. I just want ACCURACY here, whether the report is good or bad. Somebody talking about the condition of a ship from two years ago without making it very clear that the information is two years old is misleading. Moreover, generalizing based on limited experience (being in one stateroom or perhaps several rather than most or all of the staterooms) to paint a picture of the entire ship is also misleading. The information is useful only if it is given in its proper context. Tell us what you saw and when, and we can all draw our own conclusions from that.

I don't disagree with you that some of the decor is outdated. I said that about my FV cabin on Summit last year. However, there is a big difference between outdated and "worn and dirty". I'm not sure how old TV's, for example, supports the idea that the cabins are disgustingly filthy! If your point is that the cabins are not freshly redesigned and state-of-the-art, I will agree with you wholeheartedly.

Thank you. If you had said that in the first place, I wouldn't have had the response I did. I feel that your earlier post suggested that you had more recent and complete knowledge. I'm sure that you were not trying to mislead, but that's how it seemed to come across. To me, at least.

I have cruised five times. Twice with Celebrity and three times with Carnival. I never try to hide that, nor suggest that I am more experienced nor knowledgable than I am. I just want ACCURACY here, whether the report is good or bad. Somebody talking about the condition of a ship from two years ago without making it very clear that the information is two years old is misleading. Moreover, generalizing based on limited experience (being in one stateroom or perhaps several rather than most or all of the staterooms) to paint a picture of the entire ship is also misleading. The information is useful only if it is given in its proper context. Tell us what you saw and when, and we can all draw our own conclusions from that.

I don't disagree with you that some of the decor is outdated. I said that about my FV cabin on Summit last year. However, there is a big difference between outdated and "worn and dirty". I'm not sure how old TV's, for example, supports the idea that the cabins are disgustingly filthy! If your point is that the cabins are not freshly redesigned and state-of-the-art, I will agree with you wholeheartedly.

When exactly did I EVER say the cabins are 'disgustingly filthy'. Please do not exaggerate - it is not necessary..

Your last sentence is what I was attempting on convey all along.

As for the 360 degree pictures on the Mercury - sorry - I still say that bedspread looks 'tacky & rumpled' and shld have been replaced a long time ago!

That said, if these photos are 'old' ones then why does Celebrity not update them if they are trying to maintain a reputation and encourage new cruisers? It is having the opposite effect - at least for me.

I mean, how long does it take to have new photos released of these 'redone' suites IF they have been given new bedding?

Why wait 6 months after being completed?

Whatever, I agree with Lois R - we need to agree to disagree.

Happy cruisin' in the future!

As for the 360 degree pictures on the Mercury - sorry - I still say that bedspread looks 'tacky & rumpled' and shld have been replaced a long time ago!

That said, if these photos are 'old' ones then why does Celebrity not update them if they are trying to maintain a reputation and encourage new cruisers? It is having the opposite effect - at least for me.

I mean, how long does it take to have new photos released of these 'redone' suites IF they have been given new bedding?

Why wait 6 months after being completed?

I just returned from the Mercury on Monday of this week (October 29, 2007). Our Sky Suite was in terrific shape. The bedding is NEW (and very comfortable) in all of the staterooms...I saw many, many staterooms as I walked up and down the halls (I traverse the ship on the "residential" corridors as it is faster than going through the public spaces) and all had the new bedding, plus our stateroom attendant confirmed that all rooms had the new bedding. The bedding is in the currently fashionable "hotel style".

The carpeting looked almost new, and the upholstery was in very good shape. The room had lots of honey wood panelling and case goods, the carpeting was ultramarine, the bedding, sofa, chairs and draperies were in tones of saffron and tangerine. The large modern prints on the walls pulled the complementary colour scheme together very nicely. The room was bright and cheerful and the flexible "zone" lighting was very effective.

The bathroom was in great condition. The furniture on the balcony was in "as new" condition. Yes, the TV is older. It is in the corner, and we barely noticed it.

We loved the Sky Suite and I would be oh-so-happy if I were lucky enough to travel in it again.

The vast preponderance of recent returnees from the Mercury on this thread have reported that the ship is in great shape. If you prefer to believe otherwise, I might question whether the Mercury would be a good fit for you. IMHO, a great part of the enjoyment of a ship depends on how good the "fit" is between your needs and preferences, and what the ship delivers.

By the way, the service was great throughout the ship, and the food was some of the best I have had at sea.

You are right about the pictures on the Celebrity website....they could be updated more quickly. That would cause less consternation for folks, I'm sure.

Happy cruising to you too.

As there is no hole in Mercury's schedule, your "facts" imply that Celebrity is going to cancel at least 6 weeks of Mercury cruises that are now open for bookings. I find that very hard to believe.

Floris

Ummm, Actually, I never stated anything about the ship being offline for 6 weeks. All I said was that at some point in late 2008 or early 2009 I was advised that Mercury would be undergoing a similar drydock upgrade to what was done to Century this year. I can only rely on the information that my Celebrity rep provided me and am quite sure that even she does not have 100% exact details. If people are going to jump all over me for trying to post helpful information, then perhaps I would be better off keeping it to myself. :confused:

Ummm, Actually, I never stated anything about the ship being offline for 6 weeks. All I said was that at some point in late 2008 or early 2009 I was advised that Mercury would be undergoing a similar drydock upgrade to what was done to Century this year. I can only rely on the information that my Celebrity rep provided me and am quite sure that even she does not have 100% exact details. If people are going to jump all over me for trying to post helpful information, then perhaps I would be better off keeping it to myself. :confused:

Thank you for posting, I don't think anyone is going to jump all over you.

The major flaw in that theory is the major work done to the Century was to add a large number of veranda's. Mercury had some added earlier this year and does not need any more since it already had many time those originally on the Century. Again, don't believe anything until a press release is issued.

Thank you for posting, I don't think anyone is going to jump all over you.

The major flaw in that theory is the major work done to the Century was to add a large number of veranda's. Mercury had some added earlier this year and does not need any more since it already had many time those originally on the Century. Again, don't believe anything until a press release is issued.

Wasn't a lot more than just that done to Century? I know the T-Pool was removed and an Aqua Spa Cafe was added. A specialty restaurant was added as well. I think I also heard that the martini bar was changed drastically. Was it moved as well?

I've never sailed Century - pre or post renovation - but from what I understand, many big changes occurred.

Wasn't a lot more than just that done to Century? I know the T-Pool was removed and an Aqua Spa Cafe was added. A specialty restaurant was added as well. I think I also heard that the martini bar was changed drastically. Was it moved as well?

I've never sailed Century - pre or post renovation - but from what I understand, many big changes occurred.

Yes, major changes took place. The Martini Bar used to

be in teeney corner of another lounge.

It is now located where the Sportsbar used to be, next to Michael's

Club.

I have not sailed her since her overhaul though I will be on

a short cruise in December. I have talked to quite a few folks

who have been on her before and after the upgrade. I sailed her 3 times prior

to the upgrade.

There a quite a few different views...some folks love the new

Martini Bar...others not so much.

Most are disappointed they took away the T pool.

And most have given a big:D to Murano's.

And yes, 314 balconies were added.

So I consider that major changes;)

I just returned from the Mercury on Monday of this week (October 29, 2007). Our Sky Suite was in terrific shape. The bedding is NEW (and very comfortable) in all of the staterooms...I saw many, many staterooms as I walked up and down the halls (I traverse the ship on the "residential" corridors as it is faster than going through the public spaces) and all had the new bedding, plus our stateroom attendant confirmed that all rooms had the new bedding. The bedding is in the currently fashionable "hotel style".

The carpeting looked almost new, and the upholstery was in very good shape. The room had lots of honey wood panelling and case goods, the carpeting was ultramarine, the bedding, sofa, chairs and draperies were in tones of saffron and tangerine. The large modern prints on the walls pulled the complementary colour scheme together very nicely. The room was bright and cheerful and the flexible "zone" lighting was very effective.

The bathroom was in great condition. The furniture on the balcony was in "as new" condition. Yes, the TV is older. It is in the corner, and we barely noticed it.

We loved the Sky Suite and I would be oh-so-happy if I were lucky enough to travel in it again.

The vast preponderance of recent returnees from the Mercury on this thread have reported that the ship is in great shape. If you prefer to believe otherwise, I might question whether the Mercury would be a good fit for you. IMHO, a great part of the enjoyment of a ship depends on how good the "fit" is between your needs and preferences, and what the ship delivers.

By the way, the service was great throughout the ship, and the food was some of the best I have had at sea.

You are right about the pictures on the Celebrity website....they could be updated more quickly. That would cause less consternation for folks, I'm sure.

Happy cruising to you too.

Glad u posted - it is exactly what is needed.

Happy to hear u had a great cruise..I wish u many more!!

Hi, I agree Elena wrote a good review.

But I believe I had also stated my bathroom was shining and it

great shape and my bed was outstanding too and my cabin

was in great condition as well.

Oh, you were looking for a description and condition of the suites

only?

Archived