Mercury - Refurbishing Due?

cruisecrasy

Anyone know when the Mercury is due to have new verandah furniture, flat screen TVs & perhaps DVD players or even new couch and chairs hmmm?

Really wld appreciate hearing from anyone who knows..

I don't have exact details, but my Celebrity Rep (I'm a 20 year T/A) advised me that the Mercury should be going through a complete refurbishment (similar to what the Century recently had) sometime in late 2008/early 2009. Hope this helps. :)

Mercury recently completed a drydock where balconies were added to aft FOV cabins and many other small changes were made. I had heard they were NOT doing a major makeover a la Century, but I don't know that to be true.

I was on the ship a few weeks ago, and overall, I would say she was in great shape.

Mercury recently completed a drydock where balconies were added to aft FOV cabins and many other small changes were made. I had heard they were NOT doing a major makeover a la Century, but I don't know that to be true.

I was on the ship a few weeks ago, and overall, I would say she was in great shape.

To add to what Drew stated, they did not have to do the major makeover a la Century since Mercury had so many more veranda's to start with. Also, they are not putting a Specialty restaurant on Galaxy next year when it is in for work so therefore I would think there are no plans at this time for the same on the Mercury.

As stated Mercury was just in drydock in April and below is a link to what was done at that time....

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=00007AHmelJjW6JHvRT2Th2HGzw:12h3rnd1c?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2007-04-04&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

We sailed on the Mercury in April of this year and at the CC party we were told that they will be adding a specialty restaurant on the Mercury in 2009.We were on the refurbishing cruise .Aft balconies were actually being constructed on our cruise.The current state of the Mercury is great.It's only going to get better!:)

I hate to say this but just a warning. Don't believe anything you hear on board from stewards on up to Captains. They have been almost universally wrong in the past. Believe it when you see an offical press release.
Absolutey, for years we were hearing how Century would be cut in half and stretched. Well it happened to the Enchantment not the Century. There are a lot of rumors that fly around and until we see the press release, we should take everything with a grain of salt.

That being said, Mercury was in drydock earlier this year. At this time no other drydock has been announced for an X ship. However, there is a hole in Galaxy's schedule which will allow for dry dock Spring of 2008. Mercury has a full schedule until April of 2009, so unless something devestating happens, I wouldn't expect anything

and information regarding the Mercury.

On the Celebrity website it states that balconies were being added to the 210 sq ft aft cabins..

OK - what 210 sq ft cabins? All I can find are the Penthse suite, 172 sq ft ones or Sky suites at 246 sq ft..

Perhaps someone can enlighten me..and if possible also tell me what is the difference between CC class accomodation and suites - if anything?

Thanks so much in advance.

On the Celebrity website it states that balconies were being added to the 210 sq ft aft cabins..

OK - what 210 sq ft cabins? Thanks so much in advance.

It is the former Family Ocean View cabins on Penthouse and Panorama Decks, below the waffles. :)

OK - what 210 sq ft cabins? All I can find are the Penthse suite, 172 sq ft ones or Sky suites at 246 sq ft..

The website has the information totally wrong about these cabins. The aft cabins on decks 8 and 10 bear little resemblance to what the site says. They are 210 sq. ft. rather than 172, and they are set up like the FOV's on Galaxy with a balcony tacked on.

The website has the information totally wrong about these cabins. The aft cabins on decks 8 and 10 bear little resemblance to what the site says. They are 210 sq. ft. rather than 172, and they are set up like the FOV's on Galaxy with a balcony tacked on.

Looked at several sites displaying the Mercury setup and u are so right....all are incorrect including Celebritys own.

Appreciate u taking the time to post - many thanks..Glad I am not the only one to notice.

Happy cruisin'! :0)

Looked at several sites displaying the Mercury setup and u are so right....all are incorrect including Celebritys own.

Appreciate u taking the time to post - many thanks..Glad I am not the only one to notice.

Happy cruisin'! :0)

When they added the balcony, they lumped them into an existing cabin class. The online description is for that class of cabin in general without recognizing the differences in these particular cabins.

• 2 weeks later...

the Mercurys drydock in April was to add to Celebritys bottom-line not their pax comforts, if some cabins sofas, chairs, carpets, etc are 'shabby' & 'dirty' or 'worn' as some posters have stated.

I mean, isn't Celebrity trying to hold themselves out to being a tad more upscale??

I travelled this year on HAL, RCCL & Carnival ships & cld not say there were any shabby or dirty areas anywhere and especially in the cabins.

Adding verandahs means prices can be raised for those cabins and also used to entice more cruisers & improved & possibly enlarged shopping arcades are not for pax comforts but to generate more revenue.

I suggest Celebrity should be doing a dry dock now to improve the condition of the ships cabins, not stalling till late 2008 or sometime in 2009.

In my opinion anyway!!

the Mercurys drydock in April was to add to Celebritys bottom-line not their pax comforts, if some cabins sofas, chairs, carpets, etc are 'shabby' & 'dirty' or 'worn' as some posters have stated.

I mean, isn't Celebrity trying to hold themselves out to being a tad more upscale??

I travelled this year on HAL, RCCL & Carnival ships & cld not say there were any shabby or dirty areas anywhere and especially in the cabins.

Adding verandahs means prices can be raised for those cabins and also used to entice more cruisers & improved & possibly enlarged shopping arcades are not for pax comforts but to generate more revenue.

I suggest Celebrity should be doing a dry dock now to improve the condition of the ships cabins, not stalling till late 2008 or sometime in 2009.

In my opinion anyway!!

The cabins with the added balconies were re-designated from FOV to 2A. If I'm not mistaken, they charge LESS for 2A's than for FOV's. I found nothing uncomfortable about the furniture in my cabin...

In my opinion anyway!!

I was just on board from Oct 12-19th...I didn't notice shabby, dirty,

and worn items and my cabin was in wonderful shape with a truely

comfy bed!!!

In my opinion she is a beautiful ship:)

The cabins with the added balconies were re-designated from FOV to 2A. If I'm not mistaken, they charge LESS for 2A's than for FOV's. I found nothing uncomfortable about the furniture in my cabin...

'can be raised' not were and there is still time..and they are, as I stated, enticing more pax to cruise are they not - seems to be a lot of interest now in those aft cabins.

Glad to hear u found nothing 'uncomfortable' about the furniture in your cabin, other posters have said nothing about comfort - just that furniture & carpets seemed a bit dirty & worn...

I was just on board from Oct 12-19th...I didn't notice shabby, dirty,

and worn items and my cabin was in wonderful shape with a truely

comfy bed!!!

In my opinion she is a beautiful ship:)

I am glad to hear u had a comfy bed & your cabin was in wonderful shape. As I said to 'Drew B', other posters didn't comment on the comfort - just that it was a bit dirty & worn.

Hopefully I shall have the cabin u travelled in and not theirs.

I take the fact that Mercury and Galaxy have not received the Century make-over as a signal they will be spun off to the Pullmantur brand as soon as the Solstice ships have been launched. I expect Century to end up with Azamara.

Floris

I take the fact that Mercury and Galaxy have not received the Century make-over as a signal they will be spun off to the Pullmantur brand as soon as the Solstice ships have been launched. I expect Century to end up with Azamara.

Floris

Hi Floris...no...please say it ain't so:( ....

I am glad to hear u had a comfy bed & your cabin was in wonderful shape. As I said to 'Drew B', other posters didn't comment on the comfort - just that it was a bit dirty & worn.

Hopefully I shall have the cabin u travelled in and not theirs.

I guess what is worn and dirty to one person is not that

way to another.

As we everything in life, we all have different views.

Hi Floris...no...please say it ain't so:( ....

Hi Lois! Honestly... my statement is not based on any facts, it is simply my personal gut feeling... In any case, it will be at least 2010 or 2011 before anything happens. No extensive drydock has been scheduled for either Mercury or Galaxy through April 2009.

Cheers -

Floris

Texed, can you smell the waffles from those aft cabins?? ;)

I wonder if new X cruiser, crusecrasy, knows about them yet?? Shall we tell? NAH! :eek:

There's already too much competition, lol.

I think you're right, too many know now. :cool:

Archived