Wine Enforcement of 1 bottle????

LisaFlyer

We are slated to go on the Valor in two weeks and need to know- are they REALLY enforcing the 1 bottle/person or can I get away with 2 or 3 in each of our carry ons? We like decent wine on the balcony and don't really want to put it into our checed bags, especially since we are fond of reds. Our group really wants to do a wine tasting one evening,,,

Lisa

We boarded on 10/9 on the Elation. We had the "allowed" amount of wine and once it went through the scanner it was flagged and we had to go to go over to the bag police. She dug through the bag and seemed to be upset she only found the wine. She kept asking "do you have hard liquor"?. We said no and she kept digging. Finally she gave us a look and we went on. I'm convinced she was looking for a stash to take home:rolleyes:

On the Elation this summer had three bottles of wine, two people, they took the third bottle:( I did make them take the cheapest bottle though:)

I have found some small boxes of wine, apprx three glasses that I can bubble wrap and ziplock to put in the suitcase and it has worked well. DH however will not let me pack any red:D

We're sailing on the Celebration in a few weeks and wanted to bring a few bottles of bubbly, so will just pack the other wine.

If it breaks, you're going to be enjoying everything you own in a shade of crimson, along with everybody else's luggage around yours.

d'oh :o I was thinking the "color" was a red-flag; guess it could be.

was tossing around the idea of re-packaging a bottle of absolut and just carrying on a large bottle of wine & champagne in carryon.

A poster on another thread said that they had brought 5 bottles of wine on board with no problems. They took one bottle to the dinning room each night of their cruise and their server never charged them the $10.00 corkage fee.

I think it just depends on the ship, the people checking your luggage, if the got enough sleep the night before, are they in a pissy mood or are the happy and love their job and hope you have a fabulous cruise with whatever you bring on board. So, just a luck of the draw I guess.

There won't be any problem bringing wine in tetrapack. In Ontario we can buy lots of different wine, good wine, in tetrapack. The LCBO has been promoting this for years here. It's easier/lighter to carry and better for the environment.

Tetrapack? :confused: Whazzat?

We usually take 4 bottles with us every cruise--one in each of our carryons. Me, hubby, 10 & 11 year old sons. Nobody's ever noticed or made a comment! Hey, the rules say one per passenger, not one per adult passenger!

From Carnival FAQ

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests (21 years and older only) may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room or a $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages.

Looks like you got lucky. It is 21 and over.

Interesting interpretation of the rules. I like it! ;)

As a matter of fact, it says

... guests (21 years and older only) may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room or a $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages.

One bottle for each person on board? Sweet!

:D

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the tetrapack that the poster is referring to is the boxed wines so readily available. Please correct me if I am wrong.

NCL is a lot stricter about alcohol smugglers, you may want to check out thier forum to get ideas and tips on how to smuggle.

Last time, I poured my hooch in one of those juice cartons with the pour spouts. I believe they are looking for the glass bottles in your luggage when they xray. My sister tried using a shampoo bottle but her hooch tasted like soap! The screeners are on to the large mouthwash bottles, too!

A few weeks ago in the Liberty we each carried on a bottle and packed a bottle in our checked bags (4 bottles total). No problem.

We also brought vodka in a water bottle and 12 cans of Red Bull (in our checked luggage). It all made it through.

It was all bubble wrapped and in zip lock bags.

Archived