Insurance

kas37

Insurance question that im not finding on any threads....

We booked a crusie two years ago (while on a cruise) we are set to go in Feburary and now am thinking maybe we should be looking at insurance as both DH parents and mine are getting up there in years. Weve never purchased before and have always flown to port a day early to insure we would arrive to the ship on time due to any weather problems.

What im reading is you have to get insurance within 15 days of your downpament (boy we hosed that one up) so prexiting conditions are covered. My FIL has had heart problems for 25 years, will that qualify for a pre-existing condition? As if something does happen to him im sure it will be contibutated to his heart. Is there any company that doesnt have the 15 day purchase clause??? Everyone is fine at the moment but when we are talking about 70 and 80 year olds things could change in a heartbeat...

any info is greatly appreciated!!!

Yes, the heart condition is pre-existing.

Here is a link to a company many people recommend for travel insurance. I advise you to contact them directly with your questions. I would never consider traveling out of the country, or with older members of the group without travel insurance.

http://www.travelguard.com/travelinsurance/cruise.asp

Some additional information for you:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=87

Insurance question that im not finding on any threads....

We booked a crusie two years ago (while on a cruise) we are set to go in Feburary and now am thinking maybe we should be looking at insurance as both DH parents and mine are getting up there in years. Weve never purchased before and have always flown to port a day early to insure we would arrive to the ship on time due to any weather problems.

What im reading is you have to get insurance within 15 days of your downpament (boy we hosed that one up) so prexiting conditions are covered. My FIL has had heart problems for 25 years, will that qualify for a pre-existing condition? As if something does happen to him im sure it will be contibutated to his heart. Is there any company that doesnt have the 15 day purchase clause??? Everyone is fine at the moment but when we are talking about 70 and 80 year olds things could change in a heartbeat...

any info is greatly appreciated!!!

The heart problem may or may no fall under the plan's definition of a pre-existing condition. You'd have to compare his situation with the actual definition.

You have several choices:

1) Find a plan that does not apply the pre-existing condition exclusion to NON-traveling family members (Global Alert is one); or

2) Find a plan that covers pre-existing conditions as long as the policy is purchased no later than the FINAL payment date (CSA and HTH are two that do this) assuming that you have not yet made the final payment.

Any kind of blood pressure or heart diagnosis can be blamed for a lot of different ailments or falls while you are gone. Yes, it would have been easier if you had ordered your insur. at booking.

However, Travel Guard DOES have a policy that can be "personalized" for what customers need. I noticed there was an add on for "any reason" cancellation. I would definitely call them and maybe a couple other companies and see if that is actually available for you. Make sure that after you speak to a rep by phone, that you ask for a complete copy of the policy..not just the "highlights" like listed on insuremytrip.com. The details are always in the policy itself. Good luck.

My understanding is that as long as he's had no changes in his heart condition or med changes between the time you booked the cruise and the time you purchase the insurance, it would not be considered a pre-existing condition. In other words, if he's had this condition for years but it's stable, then it wouldn't be considered pre-existing.

• Administrators
My understanding is that as long as he's had no changes in his heart condition or med changes between the time you booked the cruise and the time you purchase the insurance, it would not be considered a pre-existing condition. In other words, if he's had this condition for years but it's stable, then it wouldn't be considered pre-existing.

That is entirely dependent on the wording of the insurance policy and its exclusions. People can, and have, been denied benefits under a policy if someone on, say, cholesterol medication suffers a heart attack prior to the cruise (with a policy that excludes pre-existing conditions).

I'd contact thetripinsurance store or insuremytrip and speak with one of their expert agents re: best policy to deal with your situation. I had that experience for our next cruise. Note: I ALWAYS buy trip insurance, but somehow had overlooked it this time. They were able to recommend 2 policies to me that covered my needs, whew...and I thought I wasn't going to be able to get any. Good luck!

This is not correct...at least not for all policies. The OP needs to speak to the rep of the insurance company AND read the fine print himself. Don't take anything the rep says as "bible" until you see it in print. A misunderstanding can really turn ugly. Don't be afraid to ask a million questions to clarify your policy. But get a complete policy print out to document what you have been told.

In a plan's definition of what is or is not a pre-existing condition there will be a specific time period that they use -- this is commonly called the look-back period. For example here's from Travelex:

"Any sickness of You or Your Traveling Companion, Your Business Partner or Your Family Member occurring during the 90 days prior to and including the Effective Date . . ."

And their "effective date" definition is:

"If Trip Cancellation/Interruption protection is purchased - 12:01 a.m. following:

a) the Postmark of Your enrollment form;

b) the date You phone in the enrollment;

c)the date Your enrollment form is received by facsimile; or

d) the date You submit the enrollment via the internet, provided that in all cases the proper plan cost has been paid."

So, if you buy a policy online today the policy will become effective at one minute after midnight tonight.

So, if you book a cruise today (11/1) and purchase a Travelex policy 10 days from now (11/11) it becomes effective 11/12. The insurer is going to count back 90 days from 11/12 to determine if any medical condition is pre-existing oe not. That includes about the ten week period BEFORE you booked the cruise. Not just that 10 day period between booking the cruise and buying the policy.

Plus, every plan is different. Some count back 180 days from the effective date, others have no limit on how far back they can look. So when reading a plan description to determine what is and is not a pre-existing condition you need to do the following:

#1 find the "look-back" period somewhere in the plans definitions.

#2 figure out what date they're looking back from (in this example it's the effective date which will also be defined somewhere in the fine print)

Thank you everyone!!! I went thru insuremytrip dot com and just like you said, HTH and CSA both waive any pre existing conditions as long as plan is purchased prior to final payment. Whew.... now I can breath easier!:)

Archived