Gels and Liquids allowed in European airports?

Hi there!

I am from Canada but I know flying out of the USA we have to make sure that all our gels and liquids are in containers of a certain size and that everything fits in a ziploc bag. We don't have the same restrictions flying out of Canada, I've noticed. Will I face the same restrictions flying out of London, Lisbon, Ponta Delgada or Barcelona? Just want to know ahead of time as I am wanting to carry on all my luggage to avoid lost baggage.

Another question! The first leg of my flight is from Vancouver to London. The second leg of my flight is from London to Lisbon but on a different carrier. And the THIRD leg of my flight is from Lisbon to Ponta Delgada on yet another carrier. Will I have to leave the terminal in order to check in for my other flights when I am in London or Lisbon? Or can I do all of that at the gate?

Thanks!! :p

If anything, Heathrow was more restrictive than any US airport we've flown through. Can't help you with the others, but I would go to each airlines website and see what they say. It's better to be really prepared than to lose something.

Can't help you with the other question, what airlines are you flying? And to what airports?

Charlie

You don't mention your route home--if you're flying back from ANY European airport through the US, they're going to enforce the US restrictions on you.

And the previous poster's comment about London restrictions is absolutely right--I thought NY and DC were rough places to fly in and out of (as far as security restrictions are concerned), but London has become at least as bad, if not worse. FYI!

Since you are changing flights within the European Community, I would also check baggage weight limits for each of your flights. Seem to recall EU flights have smaller baggage allowances than International. All apply the one bag carry on rule.

Hi there!

I am from Canada but I know flying out of the USA we have to make sure that all our gels and liquids are in containers of a certain size and that everything fits in a ziploc bag. We don't have the same restrictions flying out of Canada,

Another question! The first leg of my flight is from Vancouver to London. The second leg of my flight is from London to Lisbon but on a different carrier. And the THIRD leg of my flight is from Lisbon to Ponta Delgada on yet another carrier. Will I have to leave the terminal in order to check in for my other flights when I am in London or Lisbon? Or can I do all of that at the gate?

Thanks!! :p

Canada has the same restrictions regarding liquids

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english/index.shtml

If your trip is all on the same ticket (code share flights)then your checked luggage will be sent to the final destination when in LHR just follow the signs for "flight connections" http://www.heathrowairport.com/

If you are staying over or have a separate ticket for any leg of your trip then you will have to claim the bag & re check in

Thank you for your replies! :) I will defininitely check the various airlines' websites for their restrictions. I love reading fine print. :D

Maybe it's because the security agents seem more relaxed (?) when it comes to the liquids and gels at my home airport, that I thought we didn't have the same restrictions in Canada. They never ask us to take our ziploc baggies out of our luggage, like they *stress* at all the US airports I've been to.

Just to clarify all my flights (I think there are too many of them!):

1. I am travelling on Northwest from Vancouver via Minneapolis to London Gatwick. Then on TAP Airlines from London Gatwick to Lisbon. Then on Sata Airlines from Lisbon to Ponta Delgada.

2. About a week later I'll fly back to Lisbon from Ponta Delgada on Sata. Then the next day fly from Lisbon to Barcelona on Veuling Airlines. This is where I begin my cruise.

3. After the cruise I'll fly home on Northwest/KLM from Barcelona via Amsterdam to Vancouver.

I thought by carrying one small suitcase with wheels and one backpack that I'd be ok??? If I checked my bags then I'd have to exit the terminal to claim my bags and then recheck in again at each airport on the way to my destination. I have a long layover in Lisbon but not so long in London. Plus it's such a hassle.

But I guess if I am not able to check-in at the gate for my TAP and Sata flights then I'll have no choice but to exit the terminal and re-enter again, and possibly without my bags. Bummer. :(

Just to clarify all my flights (I think there are too many of them!):

1. I am travelling on Northwest from Vancouver via Minneapolis to London Gatwick. Then on TAP Airlines from London Gatwick to Lisbon. Then on Sata Airlines from Lisbon to Ponta Delgada.

2. About a week later I'll fly back to Lisbon from Ponta Delgada on Sata. Then the next day fly from Lisbon to Barcelona on Veuling Airlines. This is where I begin my cruise.

3. After the cruise I'll fly home on Northwest/KLM from Barcelona via Amsterdam to Vancouver.

1)Getting to Gatwick will probably be Ok not sure how you are ticketed I think that SATA does not "code share" but could be wrong.....I would check with your TA

2) you are stopping in Lisbon so will have to collect bags

3) no problems your baggage should be through checked from BCN to YVR

I am surprised that you are connecting in Gatwick ...NW/KLM usually connects in Amsterdam...unless you booked separate tickets that may explain it

You can fly YVR-SEA-AMS-LIS on NW/KLM

All Uk Airports have very strict security measures in place. No liquids other than in 100ml containers carried in a small sealed polythene bag that must be shown and put through scanner seperately. Anything more than that will be confiscated. You can buy liquids freely AFTER security and carry them onboard your flight.

This is supposed to be an EU directive though I have personally found the security to be less tight in other EU countries when flying. Even in Spain which I fly out of frequently, considering they have high terrorist alert status.

Generally flights between EU countries have a hold baggage allowance of 20kg - 30kg per person, quite a number do only allow the lower 20k and charge highly for excess luggage so you do need to check with your airline.

• 4 weeks later...
Noticed that nobody has yet mentioned this: At Gatwick, you must clear security before your onward flight, irrespective of whether you are connecting airside or landside (ie even if you don't clear immigration and customs and then come back in again). And the current rule is that you are only allowed one item of cabin baggage per person. One = one.

The rule is likely to be relaxed in January 2008, so this may not affect you. But you should be aware that this is the current position and might not change if things don't go well.

I flew out of Ottawa Nov. 5....they certainly did enforce the 3.5 oz limit, and sandwich bag size carrier for it. People were having to empty their water bottles before getting through security.

I can't imagine that the Vancouver airport is any different in this regard.

Its kinda funny a little bit, but we just flew out of Rome this weekend. We remembered we still had a can of coke, unopened, in our carryon. We tried to find it but couldnt. The security machine never picked it up or they just let it go. We flew to CDG and went through yet another screening and nothing. By this time, we figured it came out of the luggage at some point before we got to the airport and it was no longer in the bag. We get to Atlanta and get our luggage and go through yet another screening just before we left the airport and low and behold, ATL screeners find a can of coke. They of course pulled it out and threw it away. Made it through 2 European checks without finding it. Funny part was, we were headed to leave the airport when they found it.

Archived