SA catagory-nned info and tips

oaky

Hi all:

We are schedule to leave on 11/10 cruise on the "Z" in an SA catagory suite.

We have never traveled in this catagory before and was wondering if there are any special things we should avail ourselves of that is not posted on HAL's web site. We know about the Neptune services, free laundry etc. I did see a post were you get slippers and one of the past cruisers didn't know they were there. So, I would like to get as much info as possible before I leave.

P.S. I will be leaving Tuesday for some pre-vacation in Fla. so my last chance to look at replies will be tomorrow (Monday at 5:00PM) Any and all information from past SA catagory cruisers on "Z" will be much appreciated.

We have gotten slippers on Maasdam, Noordam and maybe Veendam. If your steward doesn't leave them in your cabin and you would like them, ask him. He may or may not have them available.

Have a great cruise.

Congratulations on booking your first SA! The Zuiderdam is a fantastic ship for the Suites! The last time I was on Zuiderdam, we were booked into an SA, and my favorite amenity was the large balcony - perfect for morning coffee and enjoying the time on the sea. Secondly, the no host mini-bar. We entertain our cruising friends quite often and this was a nice feature.

DW's favorite amenity was the afternoon tea offered for suite guests. An absolutely massive affair, DW skipped lunch on three occasions in favor of the afternoon tea.

I hope you have an excellent time on board, the Suites are huge and make life onboard a ship that much nicer!

Congratulations on booking your first SA! The Zuiderdam is a fantastic ship for the Suites! The last time I was on Zuiderdam, we were booked into an SA, and my favorite amenity was the large balcony - perfect for morning coffee and enjoying the time on the sea. Secondly, the no host mini-bar. We entertain our cruising friends quite often and this was a nice feature.

DW's favorite amenity was the afternoon tea offered for suite guests. An absolutely massive affair, DW skipped lunch on three occasions in favor of the afternoon tea.

I hope you have an excellent time on board, the Suites are huge and make life onboard a ship that much nicer!

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term "no host mini-bar" Could you please let me know what that means.

Thanks for past comments and future info. All is very much appreciated.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term "no host mini-bar" Could you please let me know what that means.

It means if you open it, you pay for it. There's "no host" at the party to pay for the drinks.

I apologize - don't take this as "no host = free drinks," but rather is just means you get a mini bar as an amenity. Think of it like a wedding. At a hosted bar, you don't pay for the drinks. A no-host bar is like a cash bar - you pay for everything you consume, and let me caution you, the price is ridiculous. It is somewhere on par for $5 for a half liter of water and $3 for a can of coke. Airline-size alcohol bars are typical, and they are more expensive than on a plane.

The reason I like the no-host style is that on the first day we remove all the alcohol and foodstuffs from the bar, and stock it with our alcohol that we bring on board. It's nice to have all the hardware provided by the cruiseline, but we prefer to use the alcohol we bought a few hours earlier in Port.

Hope this clears it up,

Cheers!

For us, the best suite amenities were breakfasts at the Pinnancle Grill, and the fact that the concierge ladies would do almost anything you needed done. The Neptune Lounge was great, but it would have been just another place for food without the concierges.

Hi all:

We have never traveled in this catagory before and was wondering if there are any special things we should avail ourselves of that is not posted on HAL's web site. We know about the Neptune services, free laundry etc. I did see a post were you get slippers and one of the past cruisers didn't know they were there. So, I would like to get as much info as possible before I leave.

P.S. I will be leaving Tuesday for some pre-vacation in Fla. so my last chance to look at replies will be tomorrow (Monday at 5:00PM) Any and all information from past SA catagory cruisers on "Z" will be much appreciated.

Oaky -- Here is a portion of my Noordam review with the pertinent portion relating to the SA suite (identical in the N & Z). Much has been said on these boards about the suite perks: "Cabin: Large suite with a 19 foot balcony. Well appointed with plenty of storage. Separate shower and bath/shower with Jacuzzi. His and her sinks and medicine chests. Nice dressing area with good lighting. Plenty of closet space. Comfy bed with enough pillows for a whole family. Champagne and fruit. All of the pre-purchased gifts were there except for the most important. The gin and vodka for the 5:00 p.m. cocktail hour were nowhere to be found. First trip to the Neptune Lounge for the concierge’s assistance. Showed her my receipt, and although it took 24 hours, the bottles did arrive – together with a plate of chocolate strawberries and a note of apology. Within minutes of settling into our cabin, our steward, Suba, knocked on our door to introduce himself. Again, he knew our name. Throughout the cruise, Suba was wonderful. The room was visited throughout the day and “touched up”. I gave him my tuxedo and asked for it to be pressed for following night’s formal evening. I had it back the next morning, as well as the few shirts I wanted laundered due to packing-wrinkling. Room service tip: Ask them to call you when the dining tray is on its way. They do it and it’s nice to know when they will be there. Neptune Lounge tip #1. We like our cappuccino with a double shot. They use an automatic machine with buttons for coffee, latte, espresso and tea. If you like your cappuccino a little stronger, hit the espresso first. Then hit the cappuccino. Much better. Neptune Lounge tip #2: After the first full breakfast, I found that we preferred just the sweet rolls, orange juice, fresh fruit and cappuccino available at the Lounge. I took the silver water tray from beneath the water pitcher in the room and found it worked perfectly for a single trip to the Lounge. It was quick and I selected only what we wanted. Neptune Lounge tip #3: Tell the concierge you want a standing order for hot hors d'oeuvres every day at 5:00. They bring‘em. It’s nice." Bottom line, in my view, is that the suite is wonderful and, if you can afford the extra expense, well worth the cost. Use the concierge, for every little thing. They are quite competent. Enjoy...enjoy...enjoy.

Hi all:

We always book the Delux Verandah Suites. Sometimes we get the slippers and sometimes we don't. When we do get them, there is always a man's pair that does fit DH's feet. But the second pair for ladies is very small - doesn't fit my size 7 foot.

• 2 months later...
Oaky -- Use the concierge, for every little thing. They are quite competent. Enjoy...enjoy...enjoy.

Speaking of using the concierge for every little thing, we are waitlisted for a Champagne Sail & Snorkel in St. John's. As we are booked in an SA cabin, I am wondering whether the concierge can pull any strings to get us on that shore excursion. Alternatively, is this something that we should attempt to contact Ship Services prior to the cruise? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Speaking of using the concierge for every little thing, we are waitlisted for a Champagne Sail & Snorkel in St. John's. As we are booked in an SA cabin, I am wondering whether the concierge can pull any strings to get us on that shore excursion. Alternatively, is this something that we should attempt to contact Ship Services prior to the cruise? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Neither the concierge or Ships' Services can do anything for you, but do go to the Excursion desk right after boarding...

dakrewser--thank you for your prompt and courteous response. I will get to the Shore Excursion desk as soon as it opens.

jtl513--I'm so sorry you're having a bad day. Or maybe every day is like this in your world, which would be sad. Instead of assuming that I desired to bump somebody off the tour, please consider the possibility that the tour operator and/or cruise line may hold back a space or two on a tour under certain circumstances.:)

Shangri-La - Thank you for bringing this thread back to life. We leave on the Zuiderdam in about 2 weeks in a SA and some of my questions are now answered. I think your question about the concierge helping with waitlisted shore excursions also applies to dining room tables and times. If you don't get what you want maybe the concierge can put you at the top of the list when someone cancels or changes.

I called Holland America directly to make sure that our dining room request had been noted.......and our requests were already taken care of.

We are really looking forward to our SA suite and appreciate all of the recommendations from those who have enjoyed them previously.

Have a great cruise!!!!!

Archived