Private Island?

M.S JAZO

In May 2003 I was on the Pride and it went to Half Moon Cay which I believe was Carnival's private island. We had a great time there. In May 2004 we went to Nassau instead. I don't know why they stopped going to Half Moon Cay. It's much nicer than Nassau.

Private islands are a great way for the cruise lines to continue to make money off of their passengers on 'port days' so it's easy to see the motivation for them including these stops in their itineraries.

For me personally, I don't really see the attraction of a "private" island. I'd much rather spend my port days having the opportunity to experience another country and its culture -- at least part of the day that I'm there. Sure, there are port days that I spend at a beach, or snorkeling or diving, but at least that's my choice. On private island or resort stop I really don't have that choice.

I LOVE Holland America's Half Moon Cay! I've been on NCL's Great Stirrup Cay, RCI's Coco Cay, and Princess' Princess Cays. There is NO comparison! I book Holland America specifically because of HMC. I stay on the ship in Nassau...don't even get off.

CanTex got it right. It is a revenue stream for the ship, under the illusion of a "port." There is precious little privacy on a "private island."

Labadee is/was a joke. You *really* get the illusion of being "away from it all" when guards are patrolling the barbed wire fence perimeter with automatic weapons in hand.

Great Stirrup Cay was nice, twenty years ago when the NCL ships passenger capacity was 700 max (other than the Norway). I cannot imagine the place with everyone from the Dawn there.

Half Moon Cay has been my favorite "port of call" so far, on the 3 cruises I've been on. It is just peaceful & beautiful. There's no pressure to run around any shops & do activities. It's just sun, sea, sand, & the beautiful blue ocean. The beach was pretty crowded where the water sports hut was, but if you walked down farther along the beach then it was nice & quiet.

I wish Carnival had a private island, then I would be more likely to book again with them in the future. But HAL has a slight edge (for me) with HMC. Now I hope HMC is still in good condition after Frances. :(

~Sharon~

Years ago, on a Disney cruise we spent the day where they shot the lagoon scenes for Gilligan's Island( forget the name). While everyone else paid to snorkel in the ocean, I snorkeled in the lagoon... got to see an octopus among other fish.

Archived