Has Princess Changed Buffet Procedure (as reported) Or Not?

ManhattanCruiser

There is another thread going about "trays" -- so I'll avoid that topic here...

...but it's been posted by a few people on that thread that on the Diamond recently one of the access points (the furthest aft) had been closed off with a "bread and roll" display case.

It has also been reported that people are waiting "in a line" pretty much all the time, it sounds... which really concerns me.

I used to love the way Princess buffet food "stations" were set up. I always notice lines on sailaway day... but usually people would get the hang of the (old?) Princess buffet concept.

I'm hoping that this was just a failed experiment on the Diamond during these posters cruise.

Have others experienced this new "get in line" procedure on any Princess ships?

All access to the buffet is supposed to be at one place. Going 'back' the way you exited has never supposed to have happened. There have always been signs that said something to that effect on every ship we have sailed on with Princess. Although they have never enforced it.

One thing I have noticed is that the lines are always for the large platters. Smaller plates and bowls have been stacked throughout the buffet stations for those that came back from something else.

So, if you enter where you are supposed to, but dont' need a large platter since you have already had your main meal but just wanted something extra, the smaller plates and bowls would accomodate without having to stand in line for the platter again.

PLUS, when you go back through the buffet, even if you have already been there, you are actually supposed to use the hand sanitizer again, after all, you have been eating and they are just trying to keep the buffet area sanitary.

All access to the buffet is supposed to be at one place. Going 'back' the way you exited has never supposed to have happened. There have always been signs that said something to that effect on every ship we have sailed on with Princess. Although they have never enforced it.

One thing I have noticed is that the lines are always for the large platters. Smaller plates and bowls have been stacked throughout the buffet stations for those that came back from something else.

So, if you enter where you are supposed to, but dont' need a large platter since you have already had your main meal but just wanted something extra, the smaller plates and bowls would accomodate without having to stand in line for the platter again.

PLUS, when you go back through the buffet, even if you have already been there, you are actually supposed to use the hand sanitizer again, after all, you have been eating and they are just trying to keep the buffet area sanitary.

This is how it was on the SUN, they did have a sign at the buffet exit but also had a small table with hand sanitizer there and never saw them stop anyone from going back in from there.

...but it's been posted by a few people on that thread that on the Diamond recently one of the access points (the furthest aft) had been closed off with a "bread and roll" display case.

It has been two years since we sailed on the Diamond.

The Aft acces was closed off in the Buffet.

The Diamond, when we were aboard, only had one Buffet access.

The Buffet exit was in the center.

Problem was that people were entering the Buffet through the Exit.

Thus, a jamup.

One minor inconvience on a great Cruise.

We did notice some changes on the Golden Princess during several B2Bs over the past few weeks. They were no longer having staff handout out the plates and flatware in the Horizon Court. You now pickup these items yourself. Also, no staff was dispensing the hand sanitizer either. The automatic machines were in place at the entrances, but most people were not stopping to use them.

We did notice some changes on the Golden Princess during several B2Bs over the past few weeks. They were no longer having staff handout out the plates and flatware in the Horizon Court. You now pickup these items yourself. Also, no staff was dispensing the hand sanitizer either. The automatic machines were in place at the entrances, but most people were not stopping to use them.

Ours were already on all the tables. :)

There is a change, being implemented currently, where cloth place mats and cutlery are going to be at the tables in the buffet (and not just during dinner hours), and there will be drink service at the tables in the buffet. This is one of the "dining changes" for 2008 that Princess is currently touting.

There is a change, being implemented currently, where cloth place mats and cutlery are going to be at the tables in the buffet (and not just during dinner hours), and there will be drink service at the tables in the buffet. This is one of the "dining changes" for 2008 that Princess is currently touting.

Hmmm... haven't heard about THAT particular touting -- although I know Princess usually touts via press release. Does anyone have a link to this "dining changes" press release?

I'm a bit confused though Toto... I have a memory of approaching the buffet from BOTH sides (say from the Calypso Pool area forward, or from the Aft elevators) and seeing an attendant there (at BOTH entrances) with plates and hand sanitizer -- and yes, there always was one exit (which I used) in the center.

But the ONE entrance concept feels new to me -- especially if one of the walkways is blocked with a bread and roll display, as reported in another thread.

I'm not doubting you're correct, Toto... just trying to see if things have changed since I've last sailed. The lack of a buffet line on Princess ships was always such a bonus for me, and I hope it's not a thing of the past.

I'm a bit confused though Toto... I have a memory of approaching the buffet from BOTH sides (say from the Calypso Pool area forward, or from the Aft elevators) and seeing an attendant there (at BOTH entrances) with plates and hand sanitizer -- and yes, there always was one exit (which I used) in the center.

But the ONE entrance concept feels new to me -- especially if one of the walkways is blocked with a bread and roll display, as reported in another thread.

I'm not doubting you're correct, Toto... just trying to see if things have changed since I've last sailed. The lack of a buffet line on Princess ships was always such a bonus for me, and I hope it's not a thing of the past.

There has always been the main entrance, from the elevator area to the buffet, on both sides of the ship for each buffet line. As you walk through the buffet and out the other side after you get your meal, that has always been a one way exit from the buffet. Although many use it to go back into the buffet for other items. This is one thing that really congests the buffet, as some are trying to leave while others are back tracking to go back in. Princess has drinks available at the end of each buffet line, but lately on all the ships I have noticed they also have the coffee, tea and water areas outside the buffet line too. I think this is to stop so many from re-entering from the dining side of the buffet line that is supposed to be used as an exit.

I have never seen more than one actual legal entrance to each buffet line before on all of the ships we have sailed on. As I posted previously, there is usually a sign that tells passengers not to re-enter at the end of the buffet but they always do it anyway. It really stops the flow of passengers with some trying to go out while others are fighting to go back in.

I think I see the problem here... I found a video on YouTube (sort of a silly video made by an employee onboard) that shows the photographer entering the buffet from what I think is the "wrong" side -- there's no buffet employee greeting guests and handing out plates... but there are plates sitting just to his left as he enters (at 1 minute 40 seconds into the video). Here's the link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g3cNj6kixx4

So I guess I just THOUGHT this was an entrance... which I suppose makes me part of the problem, huh?

I'll try to use the entrance only from now on. :)

I just watched the video, and I am soooooo mistaken here. It has been awhile since I sailed on the Grand class ship and have been on the Sun Class ships the last few years which are layed out do differently. So, my little pea brain is stuck on the layout of the Sun Class right now. My error.

There are two entrances on the Grand Class ships for the buffet, either end. So please accept my apology on this one. Last couple of Grand Class ships we sailed were both the Caribbean Princess and we always dine at the Cafe Caribe and stay away from the Horizon Court at all costs. lol

I can see why some find it confusing, as if not mistaken, the original plan for the Grand Class was one entrance was supposed to go to the cold food, the entrance on the other end to the hot food, or you could just go to one, and not exit but continue on to the next area. But since nobody understands the workings of it, it can be a total mess when it's crowded.

Again, my sincere apology. I am sailing in less than two weeks on another Grand Class ship, I have to get the old brain in the Grand Mode again. ;)

I just watched the video, and I am soooooo mistaken here. It has been awhile since I sailed on the Grand class ship and have been on the Sun Class ships the last few years which are layed out do differently. So, my little pea brain is stuck on the layout of the Sun Class right now. My error.

There are two entrances on the Grand Class ships for the buffet, either end. So please accept my apology on this one. Last couple of Grand Class ships we sailed were both the Caribbean Princess and we always dine at the Cafe Caribe and stay away from the Horizon Court at all costs. lol

I can see why some find it confusing, as if not mistaken, the original plan for the Grand Class was one entrance was supposed to go to the cold food, the entrance on the other end to the hot food, or you could just go to one, and not exit but continue on to the next area.

Again, my sincere apology. I am sailing in less than two weeks on another Grand Class ship, I have to get the old brain in the Grand Mode again. ;)

No apology necessary Toto...as a matter of fact you've boosted my ego, to have stumped the legendary Toto2Kansas is an honor I will carry with me always. :)

No apology necessary Toto...as a matter of fact you've boosted my ego, to have stumped the legendary Toto2Kansas is an honor I will carry with me always. :)

ROFL-Oh trust me, that is far from the first time I have screwed up. LOL

So I am repeating to myself 100 times, Grand Class ship, NOT Sun Class, Grand Class ship, NOT Sun Class! ;)

There is another thread going about "trays" -- so I'll avoid that topic here...

It has also been reported that people are waiting "in a line" pretty much all the time, it sounds... which really concerns me.

I used to love the way Princess buffet food "stations" were set up. I always notice lines on sailaway day... but usually people would get the hang of the (old?) Princess buffet concept.

I'm hoping that this was just a failed experiment on the Diamond during these posters cruise.

Have others experienced this new "get in line" procedure on any Princess ships?

Oh, I hope they haven't changed it and created lines. I have always enjoyed the set up on the Princess Buffets which eliminated waiting in line. On other cruiselines I have found the long buffet lines to be frustrating to the point of causing me to avoid the buffet.

Oh, I hope they haven't changed it and created lines. I have always enjoyed the set up on the Princess Buffets which eliminated waiting in line. On other cruiselines I have found the long buffet lines to be frustrating to the point of causing me to avoid the buffet.

I agree... Princess' concept is far superior, imho.

There are usually 2 buffets, one on each side. For both buffets there is now only one entrance on each side.

For us, it made for less waiting and chaos. Never had a line. I loved it. Some people still chose to enter the wrong way, but for the most part it was very organized.

Jill

There are usually 2 buffets, one on each side. For both buffets there is now only one entrance on each side.

For us, it made for less waiting and chaos. Never had a line. I loved it. Some people still chose to enter the wrong way, but for the most part it was very organized.

Jill

What ship were you on and how recently Jill?

These changes for 2008 were announced to TAs a few days ago - about the beverage service in the Horizon Court, the placemats & dinnerware being at the tables, etc.

There's some other cool sounding stuff coming too...fresh baked cookies and milk being served throughout the ship, pizza delivery to the cabin (that might be an extra charge, not sure). I tried to copy from a PDF file but I can't access it right now.

There's some other cool sounding stuff coming too...fresh baked cookies and milk being served throughout the ship, pizza delivery to the cabin (that might be an extra charge, not sure). I tried to copy from a PDF file but I can't access it right now.

Last I read, pizza delivery was going to be $3.

I was on the Diamond to Hawaii with Jill and can verify, there is now only one entrance and the middle is the exit.

We never found any huge line to get in. That may depend on individual eating times. After about day three we gave up on breakfast and did a more early lunch. There is just so much one can eat.

Table side drink service was available at all meals, we tended to pick up our tea or water before going to the table. Left a spot on the platter for the glass.

This Diamond Princess cruise had a special by the pool set up every day. Our downfall was German Sausage day.

Archived