teen questions

winemistress45

We leave for our cruise on 11/17 on the Zuiderdam.

Tonight at dinner my girls had some teenager questions -- maybe some of you can answer them, as I surely could not.

1. Are older teenagers allowed in the regular nightclub after the nightly theatre show?

2. How late does the nightclub stay open?

3. What is the dress code for the nightclub? Can they wear nice jeans and evening tops?

4. Is there a movie theatre and if so, when do the movies play? Everyday? During the day, night, etc.?

5. They want to job each morning -- will this be allowed? Or is it only on a certain deck at a certain time of day?

6. Is there an age restriction at the spa? They are very used to having spa appts. at home and want to go a couple of times during the cruise.

7. Is there anywhere on the ship that they can have lunch without getting dressed and out of their bathing suits?

8. What type of organized games, etc. are available? I told them that there is shuffle board and probably some other activities -- but I wasn't sure.

I've heard of kids playing bingo and actually winning money -- lots of money -- is this true?

9. Are there organized teen activities on HMC?

10. Will they need to bring their own blowdryers? There will be three of us getting ready -- all of us have longer hair -- not sure if the one in the cabin will have enough power for us to dry our hair in a timely fashion.

I'm sure there are more questions, just can't recall them at the moment.

I'll take on these two:

7. Is there anywhere on the ship that they can have lunch without getting dressed and out of their bathing suits?

Yes, there is a Burger/hotdog/taco/pizza bar right on the LIDO Deck adjacent to the pool.

10. Will they need to bring their own blowdryers? There will be three of us getting ready -- all of us have longer hair -- not sure if the one in the cabin will have enough power for us to dry our hair in a timely fashion.

I would suggest that in order not to be rushed or waiting too long for each other to get done, that you bring one additional blowdryer.

Hopefully I can answer a few of your questions, we were on one of the Vista class ships last summer, there is a teen loft area where the older kids, up to age 18 can go and it's off limits to adults. They have stuff going on all the time, various activities and the loft area itself has some fun stuff. The grill area out by the pool allows bathing suit wear. The kids played basketball, tennis, volleyball but mostly hung out together in the loft, they have their own sundeck area too there. There was a (super) short jogging track on the upper deck, plus treadmills in the rec center but we usually took off when we were docked to jog in port. You'd have to check the age restrictions with your ship regarding the nightclub and spa, I think the loft group actually had a night where they all went dancing, but I think that too was set up at the loft. The blowdryers were underwhelming, the balcony works better!

I'll take some of these that haven't been covered yet:

1. Teens are "invited out" at midnight.

2. It varies, depending on the crowd. I think normal is around 2:00a, but they will close earlier if no one is still there at, say, 1:30a. I can't say for sure, because we've never "closed" one!

3. Yes, although they might consider some nice slacks on Formal nights.

4. On Vista ships movies are shown every day in the Queen's lounge. The schedule varies depending on whether it's a port or sea day, and what other activities are scheduled for that lounge etc, but they may begin as early as 11:00a and run repeatedly until as late as midnight. Free popcorn is provided! The movies aren't "first run", but they're not very old. In general they're more recent than what you'll find on airplanes. There's also movies on TV.

8. To play Bingo they must be 18 or be accompanied by someone who is. Technically, it's the adult that's playing for money.

There are organized teen activities on HMC. My son has played volleyball there many times. There are also fun things they can do on their own, like parasailing or the banana boat rides if they want. Outside of the organized activities most of the teens get together and hang out on their own.

I'm not sure on the spa age question. I'm just off the Noordam and remember seeing a sign about ages 14 and up, but I dont know if that applied to the thermal suite or treatments.

Winemistress, did you read my review of the Noordam (posted here yesterday)? We attended a Sommelier dinner I thought you might be interested in.

Re: #5 - I'd like to point out that there's a difference between "jogging" and full-out "running" on the Promenade deck. A poster training for a marathon wanted to know if running was allowed on the Prom, and that triggered a long discussion. IIRC the consensus was that full-speed running was dangerous to both the runner and others, and should done on the Sports deck or the treadmills in the Fitness Center.

There are organized teen activities on HMC. My son has played volleyball there many times. There are also fun things they can do on their own, like parasailing or the banana boat rides if they want. Outside of the organized activities most of the teens get together and hang out on their own.

I'm not sure on the spa age question. I'm just off the Noordam and remember seeing a sign about ages 14 and up, but I dont know if that applied to the thermal suite or treatments.

Winemistress, did you read my review of the Noordam (posted here yesterday)? We attended a Sommelier dinner I thought you might be interested in.

Wow, these responses are great --- on HMC I know for sure that they will not allow them to parasail unless they are 18 or with me -- I'm a bit disappointed in this as they have parasailed a lot in the past and I'm not really thinking I want to go again, but they will probably talk me into it.

I never saw on the excursion list that there is banana boat, that is one of our favorite activities!

I did not read you post on the sommelier dinner -- thank you for pointing it out, I'll read that now.

I had some of the same questions answered recently because I will be with teens, ages 16, 17, and 18 in February.

My TA called the HAL about the nightclub and was told that there is no age restriction or wristbands preventing them from entering, they will just not be able to order alcholic drinks. I was happy to hear this because older teens do not always want to spend evenings with teens 13+.

I think that recent postings regarding the spa and gym indicate that the minimum age is 16 but some kids younger are allowed in with approval from the ship when you board.

I will look forward to your comments when you return. Have a great cruise.

I had some of the same questions answered recently because I will be with teens, ages 16, 17, and 18 in February.

My TA called the HAL about the nightclub and was told that there is no age restriction or wristbands preventing them from entering, they will just not be able to order alcholic drinks. I was happy to hear this because older teens do not always want to spend evenings with teens 13+.

I think that recent postings regarding the spa and gym indicate that the minimum age is 16 but some kids younger are allowed in with approval from the ship when you board.

I will look forward to your comments when you return. Have a great cruise.

Glad to hear they can access the night club -- and ofcourse, no drinking -- what do you know about another poster saying that they are "invited out" at midnight?

I hope that isn't the case on our cruise.

I know exactly what you mean, I don't see my girls (16 and 17) wanting to hang with the younger teen set. At the same time, I'm hopeful they'll meet some nice kids their age and hang out with them.

I hadn't seen the recent postings about age limits for the spa -- if its 16 then I'm okay for spa and gym.

They are actually very mature for their age with experience at spas so I don't think they youth in age will be an issue for more mature guests, in that, I mean they are respectful of the spa experience.

Hi,

Just off the Noordam with 2 teens and was told that you must be a minimum of 18 years old to use the spa facilities. This includes the hydro pool and thermal suite area. We love the hydro pool and use it daily. We had hoped to bring our 2 teen grandchildren with us on a sea day, but was told the age restrictions.

We sailed with our teens and there was not a lot of activities for them. Had we known , we would have sailed when schools were on holiday, and there would have been more young people on board.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi,

Just off the Noordam with 2 teens and was told that you must be a minimum of 18 years old to use the spa facilities. This includes the hydro pool and thermal suite area. We love the hydro pool and use it daily. We had hoped to bring our 2 teen grandchildren with us on a sea day, but was told the age restrictions.

We sailed with our teens and there was not a lot of activities for them. Had we known , we would have sailed when schools were on holiday, and there would have been more young people on board.

Enjoy your cruise.

Oh no....my girls really want to do the spa - and I already purchased a package for them and no one said anything on the phone about them not being of appropriate age.

Glad to hear they can access the night club -- and ofcourse, no drinking -- what do you know about another poster saying that they are "invited out" at midnight?

Please, no need to respond!;) From the Ryndam's daily program:

After midnight, the minimum age in the Crow's Nest Nightclub is 18 years. Guests aged 18 and under are allowed until midnight if accompanied by a parent

On NOORDAM, teens were not allowed in Northern Lights. The security officer told them to leave.

Probably a good thing for them. Older guys were trying to pick them up and offering to buy them drinks.

I am a bit concerned about this sort of thing as well -- I don't however intend for them to be in the nightclub without me.

All it takes is one glance from Momma Beat towards an older guy with not so good intentions towards my girl and believe me, they back off.

It would be nice to just be able to have everyone, young and old, and somewhere inbetween, all be together, but I realize that sometimes this just isn't realisitc.

So port-intensive any way, good luck staying awake.

My normal bedtime is usually between 1:30 -2 am --

Recently in Puerto Vallarta for 5 days on a holiday and watched the sun come up twice without teens in tow....I think I just might be able to manage to stay awake to keep an eye on them.

Just hope they have the time of their lives'!

On NOORDAM, teens were not allowed in Northern Lights. The security officer told them to leave.

Probably a good thing for them. Older guys were trying to pick them up and offering to buy them drinks.

Teens are allowed in the Northern Lights.

After tucking wifys in for the evening, some men hit the Crows Nest and/or the Disco. Most are quite happy to buy a girl a drink or two or three.

There is always a risk that someone can go to the Crows Nest or Disco bar and order drinks and carry them into the crowd, if there is a crowd. This can result in someone underage being in a position to obtain alcohol. I introduced myself to one such man who had brought drinks for a small group of college girls, one of whom included my then 18year old daughter. Let's just say, you do not want to meet me, under these circumstances.

HAL does a good job of weeding out those under 18, in the disco, at midnight.

Teens and young adults, sailing with their parents, often have their own cabins. These cabins are often inside cabins, several decks removed from their parents.

Some of these cabins can become popular late night gathering spots for teens. This issue is far more common on other cruise lines that attract more families with teens, than HAL does.

That they will.

But at sea, sleep comes easy.

It's a vacation, not boot camp. Linger at dinner. Savor the food and talk. That's where you'll have the best times.

Enjoy the ports and save time for a nap. You can 24/7 at home.

I appreciate your sentiments ---

I think we actually have very good balance when on holiday -- and at home too.

I'm a foodie and a people person, so I completely get what you are saying about lingering over a nice meal.

I also make it a practice to have quiet time, meditation and tea daily.

Having said that, sometimes its fantastic to watch the sun come up in a foreign location -- especially on an all adult trip. Not what I would consider boot camp and certainly not an activity I would regularly particpate in at home but definitely a memory making experience!;)

Hi winemistress, I was happy to see the post that they are allowed in Northern Lights which is what my TA was told by HAL. And.....I have searched and searched for the posting about age 16 for the gym and spa. If I find it I will post it for you. I know when I saw it I was thrilled because it covers all three of my teens. You are going to have sooooo much fun!

Cherie

From the "Holland America Line Youth Program Guidelines" on the Noordam this summer:

"Guests under the age of 16 are not permitted into the gym, jacuzzi, or steam rooms."

These rules may or may not be applicable on your cruise. I would consult with the Greenhouse Spa staff upon boarding and find out from them directly what the restrictions may or may not be regarding your teens, what the age limits are, and what areas may or may not be off-limits to them.

From the "Holland America Line Youth Program Guidelines" on the Noordam this summer:

"Guests under the age of 16 are not permitted into the gym, jacuzzi, or steam rooms."

These rules may or may not be applicable on your cruise. I would consult with the Greenhouse Spa staff upon boarding and find out from them directly what the restrictions may or may not be regarding your teens, what the age limits are, and what areas may or may not be off-limits to them.

Luckily my girls just turned 16 and 17 this week, so they are not "under" 16 -- whew!

And yes Cherie -- I think we are going to have "sooo" much fun!

:D

Archived