UK Seasickness Tablets?

cullinp

After reading many threads and knowing myself that I can be prone to the odd bit off seasickness, I've decided to take preventative measures and following advice on CC I'm going with Bonine.......That is if I could find it in the UK!?

Do we sell it over here? If not is there a similar alternative I can get from Boots (UK national chemist chain)?

Failing that I arrive in Orlando next Friday and drive down to Miami? Is there a Chemist at the port I can stock up at?

Many thanks.

Paul

Manchester, UK.

Bonine is a brand name for "Meclizine". You may be able to find that in the UK. You may also want to look for "scopolomine" ~ which is the active ingredient in the patch. I have heard that you can buy the pills in Canada, and perhaps in the UK. If you go the scopolomine route you may want to speak to your physician to ensure that it is appropriate for you.

You can find meclizine at every drugstore and most large grocery stores in the States. They will probably have "Meclizine", "Bonine", and "Less Drowsy Dramamine". They are all the same thing, but the meclizine will probably be cheapest as it is the generic form. You may have to ask for meclizine from the chemist/pharmacist.

There is also "Dramamine", but that is a different medication and many people find that it makes them very sleepy.

Good luck, and smooth sailing!

You may also go to guest services on the ship and ask for some seasickness tablets, Meclizine,they will provide them for free, also you can get them in the medical center. Also Bonnine is available in the General Store, but not for free.

You do need to start taking them before the ship sails, although Bonnine will also help even if you have already left port.

The Liberty is a huge ship and we hardly felt any movement especially just leaving Miami, you should be fine even if you have to wait till the shops open.

Bev

We usually make a trip to Walgreen or Wal-Mart when we get to the US to stock up on meds, most are much cheaper over there.

There are some travel sickness remedies over here, but they are more expensive and some can make you very drowsey.

we have used stugeron which is sold in the uk but not here in australia.I Usually get my brother to bring me some when he comes over.

we have given it to the kids (teens) and no one has had any side effects. It does not make you drowsy and is chewable.

I normally use Dramamine which I buy when visiting the US. For our recent Med cruise I only had a couple of tablets left so I went into Boots and asked what they recommended. They gave me Traveleeze(chewy strawberry and ginger pastilles), the active ingredient is listed as meclozine hydrochloride. My son took one when we had some rough seas and they worked great.

Julie

Thanks everyone who replied!! As always this forum proves again to be the fountain of all knowledge!

I feel really prepared for our cruise, and I think I have the inside info I need to enable us to have a even better time than had we just turned up!

I'll take a drive over to Boots later and see if I can find the very Britishly named "SeaLegs!"

If not, I'll have a go at Wal Mart once we arrive on Thurs!

Thanks everyone again!

Paul & Becca........Liberty bound!!!!!!

Manchester, UK.:D

After reading many threads and knowing myself that I can be prone to the odd bit off seasickness, I've decided to take preventative measures and following advice on CC I'm going with Bonine.......That is if I could find it in the UK!?

Do we sell it over here? If not is there a similar alternative I can get from Boots (UK national chemist chain)?

Failing that I arrive in Orlando next Friday and drive down to Miami? Is there a Chemist at the port I can stock up at?

Many thanks.

Paul

Manchester, UK.

Culinp,

I buy my seasickness medicine at Walmart. The one I buy has "Motion Sickness Medicine" written on it and costs about $2.00 for the box. (It has probably gone up some in price because the last time I bought it was a year ago.) It works great!! I've only had to use it one time, and it worked within minutes. I don't know if you have Walmarts in England, but we definitely have them here in the states.

Have a great time on your cruise!!

browneyes7:) :rolleyes:

You might also try regular Ginger Tablets found in Health Food Stores, plus eating green apples will also settle your stomach (one reason they are always on the buffet) if you didn't want to have that sleepy feeling.:)

Many thanks.

Paul

Manchester, UK.

Paul - definitive answer from a retired pharmacist -

Bonine (US) and Sealegs (UK) contain meclizine, an antihistamine and can make you drowsy, so not ideal for driving.

Stugeron (UK) is cinnarizine, also an antihistamine, but not as sedative although it may make you drowsy. It is slow-acting.

Kwells (UK) contain hyoscine (known in the US as scopolamine) which is quick-acting and non-sedative. Also they are chewable. In theory they can cause blurred vision and dry mouth but I have never known it at normal dose level.

I hope that you have better luck than my brother and me last week. We set off to drive from Orlando to Daytona Beach at 3pm, got completely lost on the toll road and after illegally going through the toll without putting any money in arrived at Daytona in the pitch dark:)

Paul - definitive answer from a retired pharmacist -

Bonine (US) and Sealegs (UK) contain meclizine, an antihistamine and can make you drowsy, so not ideal for driving.

Stugeron (UK) is cinnarizine, also an antihistamine, but not as sedative although it may make you drowsy. It is slow-acting.

Kwells (UK) contain hyoscine (known in the US as scopolamine) which is quick-acting and non-sedative. Also they are chewable. In theory they can cause blurred vision and dry mouth but I have never known it at normal dose level.

I hope that you have better luck than my brother and me last week. We set off to drive from Orlando to Daytona Beach at 3pm, got completely lost on the toll road and after illegally going through the toll without putting any money in arrived at Daytona in the pitch dark:)

Thanks for the definitive answer Mr Warringtonian!

I think I may try the Sea Legs? Take them on Friday night and see how I go?

We're flying Virgin from Manchester into Orlando so we arrive 3pm local time, I've got the sat nav all set up for Florida with the obligatory John Cleese voice add on...........I'm very much looking forward to being directed around the Sunshine State by Mr Cleese! I SAID TURN LEFT YOU IDDDIOT!!!!

Fingers crossed we can be in Miami by 6.30pm buy maybe I'm being very optimistic there?

Thanks again.

Paul.

Archived