an update on the update of lobster

fungirl76

If you want lobster go to PEI (Prince Edward Island)...simply outstanding and great value! For our friends in the northeast, the lobster offerings in Maine are outstanding as well.

I don't know exactly what the stuff they serve onboard as part of the "Fisherman's Plate" (or platter) is but I know it isn't lobster as from above. :)

Thanks to the poster from Long Island who agrees about our lobsters. The best lobster I have ever had was from Gosman's Dock in Montauk, although I will admit that the one we bought at a dock-side restaurant on the north side of Nova Scotia was fantastic. We were in New Hampshire last summer, and drove to Maine for lobster, and it was really not too good, but certainly much better than the ones on a cruise ship. Also on Long island if you don't want to drive out as far as Sayville is Jordan's Lobster in Island Park (not far from JFK airport).

Thanks to the poster from Long Island who agrees about our lobsters. The best lobster I have ever had was from Gosman's Dock in Montauk, although I will admit that the one we bought at a dock-side restaurant on the north side of Nova Scotia was fantastic. We were in New Hampshire last summer, and drove to Maine for lobster, and it was really not too good, but certainly much better than the ones on a cruise ship. Also on Long island if you don't want to drive out as far as Sayville is Jordan's Lobster in Island Park (not far from JFK airport).

We were on the Navigator transatlantic (November 5-18). Lobster was only offered on the menu on the third of three formal nights (13 night cruise) as a part of a "Surf and Turf" entree. I can assure you that what we were served was NOT a lobster tail. It was a large shrimp that was slit and broiled. When we asked our head waiter why lobster tail was on the menu and not served, he told us that this change was made four months ago (yet the menu did not reflect the change). Now, I must admit that the menus being used on this crossing were for Europe, so now that she is in the U. S., the menues are probably different. But, we were also on the Splendour transatlantic last year and we certainly had lobster then.

Fran

We returned from the Voyager November 10th Med sailing and lobster was not on the menu.

I do not eat lobster, so it was not a big deal for me, but the other people at our table were somewhat let down.

When others at the table asked about it, our waiter said only on the last formal night would there be a seafood trio with shrimp, scallop, and langoustine (which i guess is a.k.a. norwegian lobster?).

Hopefully this helps. :confused:

Make sure you try to the seafood bisque, to die for!!!:D

Thanks, Sue. You have just moved NYC up the list of places to go as soon as the St Lucia wedding is paid for.... heehee! I'm also ready to see Jersey Boys. Lobster and Broadway....I can't wait!

Thanks, Sue. You have just moved NYC up the list of places to go as soon as the St Lucia wedding is paid for.... heehee! I'm also ready to see Jersey Boys. Lobster and Broadway....I can't wait!

Jersey Boys was excellent, but Wicked is still my favorite.

Jersey Boys was excellent, but Wicked is still my favorite.

Wicked is on my list, too....hopefully we will be able to see them both in spring of 2009. At least that is the plan right now! Thanks for the advice.

If you have any other not-to-be-missed places, please let me know.

At least we know of a good lobster place now...thanks to you!

The only time? That's rather sad, as I have yet to meet a lobster meal on a cruise that could hold a candle to a tasty Maine lobster. You haven't had lobster until you've had one from Maine. If you live in the Chicago area, there are several restaurants that serve them, and I have yet to be disappointed (despite having lived in New England most of my life). The Palm has a splendid special in the summer--$90 for a 5 pounder, for two. Try it if you can--I think you will enjoy it.

crosboro

hi yes the gratefullawyer has spotted your icon and wants to know where you got that cause i want one just like it but in another color

you can email me At Gratefullawyer@aol.com

thanks you

have a gratefulaw day

I am just off the Jewel 8 day cruise and lobster was not on the menu. It was replaced by a "seafood variety" plate that consisted of big and small shrimp.

Sorry, no lobster tails on Jewel last week, as indicated above. What we got was the smaller shrimp and one whole langostino with head, claws, etc. It's like a baby lobster or a really large crawfish. Delicious, but definately not a lobster tail.

Its hard to believe all the hype over a simple crustaceon. Keep in mind that these are generally warm water lobster-tails which is not what most lobster lovers (count me in that class) would even call real lobster. You can buy these things at most supermarkets and they are quite easy to cook (boil or broil). You can get all the lobster you want if you book with Seabourn or Silverseas, but of course you will pay about $1000 per day. As to our beloved RCI (we are off this week to catch the Brilliance in Barcelona) we are now paying less than we paid for similiar cruises 20 years ago. Guess something has to give!

Hank

fungirl76

lobster is not being served anymore fleet wide.

just got off an 8 nighter on the Jewel and was told that is has been discontinued and are now offering a seafood medley instead.

it consisted of one garlic/butterlied shirmp, a crawfish (a decoration for New Englanders), rice, broccoli, and maybe a bay scallop or two (not even a sea scallop).

We were very disappointed too!

fungirl76

lobster is not being served anymore fleet wide.

just got off an 8 nighter on the Jewel and was told that is has been discontinued and are now offering a seafood medley instead.

it consisted of one garlic/butterlied shirmp, a crawfish (a decoration for New Englanders), rice, broccoli, and maybe a bay scallop or two (not even a sea scallop).

We were very disappointed too!

If read some of the previous post from people who also just returned they had regular lobster tails. Who knows what is going on.

Ok, I received the same response from RCL as the original poster......it was a "mistake" and Lobster remains on the menu.

Thank you for your email.

We appreciate this opportunity to respond to your email.

In previously researching this issue we were misinformed and provided an incorrect response to an inquiry similar to this. After speaking with employees in our Food Purchasing Department it has been determined that lobster is not being discontinued on any sailings. We sincerely regret any previous misinformation provided and apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Christopher Fitzgerald

Customer Service Representative

Maybe they realized that maybe they made a mistake with the "decision" and not a miscommunication. Perhaps they underestimated peoples feelings on the subject. It is strange that there are sailings that are not serving lobster yet it has not been "discontinued" according to RCL. I'm confused! :(

This all makes perfect sense meaning simply that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing in regards to serving or not serving lobster.

Again, I was just on an 8 night cruise upon the Jewel and was told that there is no lobster being served anymore fleet wide.

If anyone is still having the opportunity to be served lobster, ask just how fresh it is and I would suspect that they are cleaning out the freezer.

Archived