Is there shade on the pool deck of the PG?

TimATL

I'm looking at the picture of the pool deck in the ship tour section for the Paul Gauguin on the RSSC web site. It looks as though there is no place to lay in a lounge chair and be in the shade because there is no deck above it and thus no overhang. Can anyone confirm this? If so, what does one do if you want to be out on deck, but don't want to be in the direct sunlight? Do they have umbrella stands, or are you just out of luck?

:mad: :( Tim, this is one of the biggest negatives of the PG (one of the few!). Somehow, management has the idea that passengers want to lay in the tropical sun and burn their little booties off. I don'lt understand it. They could put up awnings, umbrellas, something! But they don't. The management is aware of how some of us perceive this as a real problem, but have chosen to not address it. There is shade on the side areas under umbrella tables, as lunch is served there. But the area around the pool? No. Also, there is an upper deck with an overhang where a chaise can be placed - you can ask an attendant to bring one up for you. But other than that, its slim pickens as far as relaxing in a chaise is concerned, as compared to sitting in a chair at an umbrella table.

I'm leaving on the PG in a few days, and have taken this cruise twice before. Each time I tried to argue for more shade being offered, to no avail.............I accept that this is not going to change, and my family and I will just hunt as best we can for shade under the overhangs, and move as the sun moves........

Still, its a great trip and we are looking forward to it. With all of the rain we expect, and cloudy skies, who knows - maybe no shade won't be as much of a problem!

Glenda

Here's the post and pictures.

June 22nd, 2006, 12:11 PM

calberry

Cool Cruiser Join Date: Oct 2005

PG Shade Photos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having not been on the PG prior to this cruise, I can only guess that these 'wings' are what was added during theh last dry dock. These of course are on deck 8, and the small shade area on 9 next to the bar that is not used is still available as well.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jspc=8...&x=0&y=-sh8r73

Steve

Here's a link to a PG review and in it the poster says:

"I spent part of the day poolside (in the shade of the canopy)." The review is for Oct/06 after the PG drydock. So there was something definately added as there was no shade to be had poolside when I was there post drydock and my only complaint about the PG back then. I've also seen several other posts in 2006 that says there were shade canopies added in the last drydock........still not enough shade for everyone but much better then they had before. Perhaps some of those that just left on their PG cruise will take some current photos.

Pat

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=22409

I'm leaving on the PG in a few days, and have taken this cruise twice before. Each time I tried to argue for more shade being offered, to no avail.............I accept that this is not going to change, and my family and I will just hunt as best we can for shade under the overhangs, and move as the sun moves........

Still, its a great trip and we are looking forward to it. With all of the rain we expect, and cloudy skies, who knows - maybe no shade won't be as much of a problem!

Glenda

Glenda, can you give us all an update on the shade situation after your cruise please; and maybe post some pictures as canadagal suggests? Thanks!

I hope they have improved this as they say they have. Sure they could provide more umbrellas at least, not sure why they don't with the sun so strong. Although I must say on my 3 trips on this ship, there has never been a lack of people lying out in the sun roasting themselves silly.

Hello...

We're booked to sail PG sometime in May. Before booking, I called to ask if the shade problem had been solved as I'm quite sun sensitive (can't bake hours in the sun...and don't like to).

I wanted to sail PG but was considering TP due to the lack of shade on the deck of PG. PG representative sent me an email picture of some large, blue "shade wings" that they'd added to the deck as an extension of the eating area...for lounge chair use. (Sorry I didn't save the picture.)

They said there was "always room in this area" as "most people prefer the sun", but suggested that I book an aft cabin with a large deck if shade is really important to me.

I haven't been to the web site to see if this picture is there now; it still looked like 2/3 (at least) of the deck was in sun. As we'll be off of the ship much of the day, I don't expect much of a problem, but it's really the only negative that I ever hear about this ship so I'm quite anxious to try it!

Happy sailing!

murphysmum;)

Here are some pictures of shades on the PG that a RSSC agent sent me today.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/notamonet/DSCN0100.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/notamonet/DSCN0101.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/notamonet/DSCN0099.jpg

It looks like the shades are located adjacent to the two staircases that lead up to the sun deck on deck 9; but they're white, not blue, as crys and murphysmum described. Is this what you guys are talking about?

Murphysmum here...I'm not really sure if your pictures reflect what they showed me. The picture I received was taken showing the entire awning in once piece (from somewhere above the ship) and it was blue at the time. Perhaps they've already gone through an awning and changed the color?

Actually, the pictures you're showing look like a more sturdy structure. What I saw looked like the type of thing you might set up outside of a camper for extra shade.

Thanks for all of your responses. I'm glad to know I'll have some company in the shade.

murphysmum;)

We were on the PG this October. On the port side, aft of the pool, there is a covered area that fits about 8-10 lounge chairs. It was always full during our cruise, and people were getting up early to "stake out" chairs, making it difficult to get one if you weren't an early bird. The pool bar area is also covered, and was set up with 4-5 tables and chairs. Both spaces were covered with a permanent canvas structure. The lounge chairs directly fore and aft of the pool had shade at least part of the day, but the aft space was often used for the band. The unused bar on the upper deck also had a small covered area.

The relative lack of shade was my only complaint about our wonderful cruise on the PG.

Tom

Port side with the pool bar....the shade awning extends to the stair case. There are groupings of wooden shairs and small round tables.....maybe sitting for 24 (6 tables and 4 chairs per tables).

The starboard side.....they put out about 2 rows (6 and 6) of chaise lounges...

Other shade seating is outside of the La Varanda.....when not used during breakfast and lunch these seating was used for those desiring to read.

depending on the time of day, the lounge chaises forward of the pool has shade.

With the pool bar doing lots of business, every lounge around the pool was used. The lounge chairs were fabulouse.....heavy metal frames with a fine mesh type cloth. You did not seat on them nor did they flip around in the wind.......someone bought a great product.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I did say I would get back to you with my take on this issue. I don't know whether they have increased the overhangs or not, but there definitely seemed more shaded areas than I remembered from 4 years ago. There are a couple of rows of chairs facing the front of the ship, and there are 2 rows on the side. Although I, like ATA, did not sit out there very often, when I wanted a chaise in the shade one was always available. There are umbrella tables and chairs near the bar as well.

I will say, however, that the majority of chaises are around the pool in the direct sun. While some people were broasting themselves in the tropical sun, most of the sun chaises were empty. We did have a full ship, but I expect that most people were off doing other things.

I was disappointed, though, that the children of Raiatea show was held outside on the pool deck. Lots of chairs were set up to watch, but again, they were in the sun. I had heard that the show would be inside in the main showroom, but on our cruise they came aboard in the afternoon and performed on the pool deck. Also, not many crafts to buy at that time from the Mamas. But not to worry, cause there are LOTS of crafts to buy at other ports of call.

Glenda:D

Glenda

Archived