Seriously need some help - passport problem

JF4300

BIL applied for passport 10 weeks ago. After 6 weeks he got a letter that said he had not signed his application. Went within 1 day and signed a new application & sent by overnight mail. For some reason his passport is being processed in Washington, DC (he is from Pennsylvania) We leave on Dec. 23 for caribbean cruise.

Does anyone know if RCCL is requiring a passport?

Should he go to Washington, DC to try to get it?

Anyone have any ideas. My sister could lose over $5,000. if they can't go on this cruise!

BIL applied for passport 10 weeks ago. After 6 weeks he got a letter that said he had not signed his application. Went within 1 day and signed a new application & sent by overnight mail. For some reason his passport is being processed in Washington, DC (he is from Pennsylvania) We leave on Dec. 23 for caribbean cruise.

Anyone have any ideas. My sister could lose over $5,000. if they can't go on this cruise!

As long as he has a birth certificate and another form of ID, such as a driver's license, he doesn't need a passport yet.

Back a couple of months ago when the passport applications got so backed up, our South Carolina congressman had a special person in his office assigned to help people with passport problems. You might try that avenue. You surely don't want to wait!!

I just went through a passport quagmire--they spelled my name wrong! Called my local congressman, and as long as the it hasn't gone to print--they can help expedite it. Worst case--they can give you a "passport in progress" document to accompany his other ID, and should be fine.

I think Sally is right.

The departments have also identified unique circumstances for specific groups of travelers that warrant permitting the use of alternative documents.

• U.S. citizens on round trip cruise ship voyages that originate and end in the United States may present a government-issued photo ID and birth certificates, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad or Certificates of Naturalization.

I don't think you need a passport for Caribbean cruises til Summer 2008 now.

Definitely, he should communicate with his congressman. This person applied long ago, and is entitled to a passport, which should be carried, particularly if the ship visits foretign ports. Laws requiring passports are getting tighter.

ugh--I'm so aggravated...I just went on the passport agency website and they have in fact extended the land/sea requirements until summer 2008, the earliest.

this has got to be new info--becasue I was just on this site no longer than a month ago when dealing with my own passport nightmare....figures.....at that time it still said January 2008.

ugh--I'm so aggravated...I just went on the passport agency website and they have in fact extended the land/sea requirements until summer 2008, the earliest.

this has got to be new info--becasue I was just on this site no longer than a month ago when dealing with my own passport nightmare....figures.....at that time it still said January 2008.

While it is a 'new' update on the State Dept website, this extension was published on June 20, 2007. The latest, most up-to-date information is found on the DHS website, not the State Dept. (DHS determines passport usage, State just issues them) Passports are not needed now, or after 2008, on RT from the US cruises to the western hemisphere.

For the OP--On a Caribbean cruise, your BIL just needs a certified Birth Certificate and a DL. If he does not have a second certified copy of his BC, he should apply for one now. He can expedite it in most states, or use an online service such as VitalChek.

I think Sally is right.

The departments have also identified unique circumstances for specific groups of travelers that warrant permitting the use of alternative documents.

• U.S. citizens on round trip cruise ship voyages that originate and end in the United States may present a government-issued photo ID and birth certificates, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad or Certificates of Naturalization.

I don't think you need a passport for Caribbean cruises til Summer 2008 now.

Actually, this quote is from the wording of the regulation that will go into effect AFTER sometime in mid-2008. It's the last phase of the WHTI--and since passports are not needed on the specified RT itineraries now, and won't be needed after, there is no passport deadline for cruises. Land borders, that's another issue...

Actually, this quote is from the wording of the regulation that will go into effect AFTER sometime in mid-2008. It's the last phase of the WHTI--and since passports are not needed on the specified RT itineraries now, and won't be needed after, there is no passport deadline for cruises. Land borders, that's another issue...

Yes, I didn't feel she needed the extra info.

It does look like passports will eventually be required for cruising, once they get their act together.

SUMMER 2008

At a later date, to be determined, the departments will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have either a U.S. passport; a U.S. passport card; a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, FAST, or SENTRI; a valid Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or a valid U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders.

The implementation date will be determined based on a number of factors, including the progress of actions undertaken by the Department of Homeland Security to implement the WHTI requirements and the availability of WHTI compliant documents on both sides of the border. DHS and DOS expect the date of full WHTI implementation to be in the summer of 2008. The precise implementation date will be formally announced with at least 60 days notice.

Glad everyone got it clarified, I, too, thought they were holding it to Jan 2008, and was worried that the OP might have the Dec 23rd cruise run into Jan, but didn't have the time to look it up this am and post.

Glad everyone got it clarified, I, too, thought they were holding it to Jan 2008, and was worried that the OP might have the Dec 23rd cruise run into Jan, but didn't have the time to look it up this am and post.

I booked a cruise to Bermuda in the summer (July 08) and yes, as others have mentioned, right now a BC with a raised seal, along with a government issued photo ID (license probably best), according to my reservation confirmation. However my ressie warns that since I am mid summer and no one really knows when passports will absolutely be required, I am told it is my responsiblity now, while I can, to absolutely have mine in hand for midsummer to avoid being shut out.

The only warning now is that you have to hope that you don't get sick and have to be airlifted off an island because all air travel now requires a passport. However, can't imagine anyone would allow a dying or very sick person denied access to getting back home - but you can bet there'd be at least a small hassle b/c of it.

Just a thought, since he has the letter with the info that he didn't sign it, can he fax a signature to the person handling it with a note that he is having the original overnighted or some such arrangment? But wondering, just had teen nieces get their passport and it was to be unsigned and signed/witnessed in front of a passport employee before it could be sent. Didn't the same thing apply to your BIL?

Yes, I didn't feel she needed the extra info.

It does look like passports will eventually be required for cruising, once they get their act together.

No, the wording you posted is from the NPRM of the last phase of the WHTI, meaning that when the final phase is implemented sometime in mid 2008 or later, the text you posted will apply. You have the right words, just the wrong idea of when it goes into effect. :)
You might want to check wht Rccl's internal rules and regulations are before trying to board, no matter what the requirements state therer are some variations at the company level as they are above compliance standards. Also you can check out the web site here for actual travel requirements http://travel.state.gov
As explained before, the State Dept site is just a summary of the DHS requirements (says so at the top and provides a link to the DHS site) and does not include the various exceptions. If you want to read about the specific application to cruises, you need to go to the DHS site.

I have checked with RCCL about having higher standards; not gonna happen because:

1. They, along with every major cruiseline based in the US, wrote urgent appeals to the original wording of the WHTI and asked for the cruise exception in the first place.

2. It would be a breach of duty to their stockholders not to maximize revenue by not allowing passengers to travel with just a BC and DL.

3. Their own website says that they will follow the government rules on documentation: The requirements described below are required by government regulations and policies. They are subject to change without notice.

That said, they admit privately they will take their sweet time to update their website because they all would prefer that folks get a passport. The RCCL site currently reflects the wording "all passengers will need a passport" whereas the DHS and State Dept. changed to "most passengers" months ago. (Again, 'most' not meaning 'all' meaning there are listed exceptions which apply to RT cruisers, Alien members of the US military, Canadian and US children under the age of 16 on school trips and Kickapoo tribe members. This being a cruise board, the first exception is relevant to the discussion)

No, the wording you posted is from the NPRM of the last phase of the WHTI, meaning that when the final phase is implemented sometime in mid 2008 or later, the text you posted will apply. You have the right words, just the wrong idea of when it goes into effect. :)

As explained before, the State Dept site is just a summary of the DHS requirements (says so at the top and provides a link to the DHS site) and does not include the various exceptions. If you want to read about the specific application to cruises, you need to go to the DHS site.

I have checked with RCCL about having higher standards; not gonna happen because:

1. They, along with every major cruiseline based in the US, wrote urgent appeals to the original wording of the WHTI and asked for the cruise exception in the first place.

2. It would be a breach of duty to their stockholders not to maximize revenue by not allowing passengers to travel with just a BC and DL.

3. Their own website says that they will follow the government rules on documentation: The requirements described below are required by government regulations and policies. They are subject to change without notice.

That said, they admit privately they will take their sweet time to update their website because they all would prefer that folks get a passport. The RCCL site currently reflects the wording "all passengers will need a passport" whereas the DHS and State Dept. changed to "most passengers" months ago. (Again, 'most' not meaning 'all' meaning there are listed exceptions which apply to RT cruisers, Alien members of the US military, Canadian and US children under the age of 16 on school trips and Kickapoo tribe members. This being a cruise board, the first exception is relevant to the discussion)

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what is a "RT" cruiser?

They are issued from the state you were born in. They come in all shapes and sizes. depending on your state, what year you were born in, they may not have a raised seal They will most likely come from the Dept. Of vital Statistics from the state you were born in, and have a file number on it, and signed from the state. It is a certified copy of Birth. The original one , not a photo copy. There are birth records out there with no given birth name on them, people that have no record of all of their births, and some other unique situations. In cases such as them, there is secondary records that can be used to obtain a passport, as long as they have a statement from the state proving, no birth record, no name given at birth etc.

As long as he has a birth certificate with a raised seal and a valid drivers license, ge will be okay to travel if you are leaving from a US port.

The problem is that usually you need to send in your birth certificate with your passport app.

Archived