Golden Or Dawn Mexican Rivera And Why?

LindaMae

My opinion is the Dawn is overpriced for what you get.
Have you priced it lately? You might be surprised.

But this post makes a good point - if square footage is the critical criteria in your choice, then choose Golden.

I got inside guarantee on the Dawn for $708.68 (this includes all fees/taxes/port yada, yada yada!) per person for next weeks' New Years cruise- how is that overpriced?

Subtract a Princess courtesy credit given to me, and factor in my CCL shareholder benefit and we are paying $558 per person (we got two cabins). This will be our cheapest holiday cruise ever.

I got inside guarantee on the Dawn for $708.68 (this includes all fees/taxes/port yada, yada yada!) per person for next weeks' New Years cruise- how is that overpriced?

Subtract a Princess courtesy credit given to me, and factor in my CCL shareholder benefit and we are paying $558 per person (we got two cabins). This will be our cheapest holiday cruise ever.

Along that line, there were two guys on Dawn Princess with me who got a fire sale, last minute fare - $285 per person, inside. That's for the whole week! And for those Canadians who complain about being cheated by Princess, these guys live in Vancouver. Granted, it was a last minute thing, but the price is pretty phemominal.

You all have made me do a lot of thinking about these two ships. After doing 20 plus on RCL this will be our 3rd Princess, and doing a fourth in the caribbean in November :) I must say I am jealous of you in Souther CA who do not have very far to get to the ship.

Wave Month is in January and is usually when many companies come up with some good deals. ;)

Again Happy Holidays to all of you Cruisers!!

LindaMae

I love the Dawn. We sailed on her through the Panama Canal a few years ago and wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again. We are doing the Mexican Riviera on the Golden at the end of January. We sailed on the Golden for 34 days this last January and February and really enjoyed that ship also. I know I'm not much help but wanted to let you know that which every ship you choose you should have a nice time.

BTW LindaMae.. .do you happen to have a daughter that works in a dental office in Half Moon Bay? If so she cleaned my teeth today:) :) .

Stacey

I chose the Golden for our cruise in 3 weeks as she is a newer ship. I had to cancel a cruise I had booked on her two years ago and was so disappointed, so it wasn't much of a decision for me.:)

I also love my balconies, so hearing how small the Dawn balconies are just confirms my decision, though. I would have like to spend more time in Cabo, though!:( But then again, I am looking forward to sailing out of port that day and watching whales from my balcony during daylight hours - a follow up to my scheduled whale watching excursion!:D

Given a choice, I'd go with the Dawn. I've been on the Sun/Sea/Ocean Princess (her sister ships, a couple of which are now sailing for other brands) and I've been on several Grand-class ships, including the Golden. Hands down, I'd pick the Dawn. The premise that one is newer than the other really isn't relevant since the Golden is getting long in the tooth itself. We found the Golden to be "iffy" in service and amenities (the CD was terrible) and I've always loved being on the Sun-class ships. They're pretty special. One nice thing is that they have a wonderful promenade with padded loungers so that if you want to get away from the crowds, relax, read and watch the water go by, it's a great spot. I was on the Sea Princess several years ago on a Mexican Riviera cruise, lounging on the Promenade deck when all of a sudden, I saw whales swimming near the ship. Those of us on Promenade deck saw them; I doubt those on the sun decks did. Also, at the back of Deck 10 is a public sun deck with lots of loungers where you can also relax in the sun or in the shade. Plus, the barstaff comes by to find out if you want a drink or a soda. :)

We just came off the Dawn on the 23rd of this month. I have been on the Golden, also, but in the Southern Caribbean. I slightly prefer the Golden, but would still recommend doing this cruise on the Dawn for several reasons.

One has been mentioned: it is leaving the fleet and it is nice to experience cruising on a (relatively) smaller ship. We did the Regal to Hawaii this summer before she left the fleet also for this reason. Embarkation from San Diego was a dream, even with another ship leaving that day. We arrived at the port at 11:00 AM, and by 11:30 we were on the ship, and in our cabin! (We also had our luggage within just a few hours, certainly before 3:00) That was by far the best embarkation of any of our seven cruises.

The food ranged from ok to excellent, in my opinion, with all shellfish dishes, whether appetizer or main course, being excellent. The weakness was in the lamb and beef which tended to be overcooked, and have been much better on other cruises. Other items were all good. Our servers were the best we have ever had. I think our table number was 112, early dining, in the Venetian Room.

Many people have mentioned the extended time at the ports, and that is very helpful, especially at Cabo which is a tender port.

I am not sure if this is true shipwide, but our bedding was new, and it was the most comfortable bed I have ever had on a cruise.

Whichever ship you chose, you will enjoy your cruise.

Wow your answers are so wonderful. I know how you guys feel about the smaller ships. I loved the Rhapsody but she is in Asia now:( The RCI itineraries leave a lot to be desired--just the same old cookie cutter style.

Cactusrose-I do have a dental daughter who moves around. She has gotten her master's at UOP for hygiene. That means she can go anywhere to work on people's teeth. And working on a masters to take care of older people. She works different days and offices according to her class schedule. She lives in San Francisco. Was her name Deb? That is so funny. It could be a very small world.

I hope all of you have cruises planned for next year!! We are doing the Mexican and someone out of San Juan in December.

Enjoy the rest of your Holidays!!!!:):):)

I am not sure if this is true shipwide, but our bedding was new, and it was the most comfortable bed I have ever had on a cruise.
We got off the ship on 12/2, and noticed while waiting for our disembarkation time that they were loading new mattresses. Maybe you got one! ;)
Thanks for the correction, but moving to Australia is ALMOST as bad as leaving the fleet!
Agreed - it's unfortunate that either by price or geography, Princess is making the smaller ships untouchable.

I was on the Dawn Princess December 2nd and the Golden on December 15th. Here is what I loved:

Dawn... loved the layout of the ship. Wider outside deck on the Promenade. Smaller ship with open layout. Everything is easy to find. Wifi on laptop can be used on same kiosk Internet account. Internet cafe was open on day of disembarkation. Pier is very close to airport. Cab ride or shuttle both very cheap and available. After embarkation it was easy to disembark for an hour to walk around the port. Really enjoyed extra time in port, especially Cabo and Puerto Vallarta. Extra 4 hours in port allows for returning to ship and going out to explore more than once.

Golden...Loved the wrap around front section of the Promenade but the stairs might inhibit some passengers. Loved the extra amenities on the ship... extra restaurants, swim against the currents pool, a couple of areas for adults only. Skywalker disco great for daytime views of the ocean and fun at night. Roger Carr at the piano is a great performer. Overall entertainment very good. Loved the extra coffee and tea station in the Horizon court buffet.

Hated... on the Dawn--nothing. It was all great. Some hated the one set of elevators that didn't extend to all floors. Sorry, but I use the stairs.

On the Golden I "hated":

1. no USB access on internet kiosks.

2. wifi access at 50 cents a minute--no lower cost plans and no combination with kiosk packages

3. internet kiosks not available after midnight the night before disembarkation.

4. no exception and little help from Internet cafe staff (notice a theme?)

5. Stairs to forward section of promenade deck roped off at night, so no late night strolls around the ship.

6. Lotus spa outside area smells of stale water and needs more attention to cleaning up old towels and stocking toiletries in restroom.

7. Distance to LAX meant waiting a while for cabs or shuttles and paying much more than in San Diego

On the Dawn it was easy to walk into the the anytime dining restaurant. On the Golden they check your cruise card to make sure you are not "sneaking in." The Golden felt a bit more controlled with few exceptions to policy. The Dawn was very responsive to reasonable requests.

Though I "hated" a few things about the Golden, they were, in perspective of the overall great experience, relatively minor. Both cruises were fantastic experiences and great values.

For onboard entertainment, activities and selection of onboard amentities I would choose the Golden Princess.

For more time in ports and late night strolls around the promenade and more fexibility with "rules" go with the Dawn Princess.

Mike

I was on the Dawn Princess December 2nd and the Golden on December 15th. Here is what I loved:

Dawn... loved the layout of the ship. Wider outside deck on the Promenade. Smaller ship with open layout. Everything is easy to find. Wifi on laptop can be used on same kiosk Internet account. Internet cafe was open on day of disembarkation. Pier is very close to airport. Cab ride or shuttle both very cheap and available. After embarkation it was easy to disembark for an hour to walk around the port. Really enjoyed extra time in port, especially Cabo and Puerto Vallarta. Extra 4 hours in port allows for returning to ship and going out to explore more than once.

Golden...Loved the wrap around front section of the Promenade but the stairs might inhibit some passengers. Loved the extra amenities on the ship... extra restaurants, swim against the currents pool, a couple of areas for adults only. Skywalker disco great for daytime views of the ocean and fun at night. Roger Carr at the piano is a great performer. Overall entertainment very good. Loved the extra coffee and tea station in the Horizon court buffet.

Hated... on the Dawn--nothing. It was all great. Some hated the one set of elevators that didn't extend to all floors. Sorry, but I use the stairs.

On the Golden I "hated":

1. no USB access on internet kiosks.

2. wifi access at 50 cents a minute--no lower cost plans and no combination with kiosk packages

3. internet kiosks not available after midnight the night before disembarkation.

4. no exception and little help from Internet cafe staff (notice a theme?)

5. Stairs to forward section of promenade deck roped off at night, so no late night strolls around the ship.

6. Lotus spa outside area smells of stale water and needs more attention to cleaning up old towels and stocking toiletries in restroom.

7. Distance to LAX meant waiting a while for cabs or shuttles and paying much more than in San Diego

On the Dawn it was easy to walk into the the anytime dining restaurant. On the Golden they check your cruise card to make sure you are not "sneaking in." The Golden felt a bit more controlled with few exceptions to policy. The Dawn was very responsive to reasonable requests.

Though I "hated" a few things about the Golden, they were, in perspective of the overall great experience, relatively minor. Both cruises were fantastic experiences and great values.

For onboard entertainment, activities and selection of onboard amentities I would choose the Golden Princess.

For more time in ports and late night strolls around the promenade and more fexibility with "rules" go with the Dawn Princess.

Mike

Mike,

First of all, congratulations on your first post.. Welcome!!

Second.......I couldn't have described the differences better. Job well done lad....

Now I'm ready to cruise again. Nothing planned.:D

Cactusrose-It was my daughter!! She thought you and your husband were great patients.:)

Ok cruisers-getting some good deale nows---so I think due to your input we will be doing the Dawn on March 2nd or 9th with our friends. I need to have a balcony. Not a mini suite-broke ribs in the bathtub on the island in island. My feet could not reach the end of the tub:eek: My husband does not like aft cabins - he thinks they are to noisy. The only good time was on the PC on the Sernade. We got great pictures of the locks.

I know most of you are not RCI cruises, but they are doing the same things. All the good smaller ships are not going to be in the caribe. Then there mega's offer 3 major ports that you have been to 100 times. The smaller ships have charm and a feeling of being part of the family for a week or more:D

Happy New Year Everyone-Where are some of you cruising this year?

T

We cruised the Mexican Riviera in March of 06 on the Sapphire and had a great time. We are thinking of going on the Dawn in February...food for me is a big thing, can anyone who has been on this cruise recently tell me if there is lobster one night and crab on another night?

Thanks!

We cruised the Mexican Riviera in March of 06 on the Sapphire and had a great time. We are thinking of going on the Dawn in February...food for me is a big thing, can anyone who has been on this cruise recently tell me if there is lobster one night and crab on another night?

Thanks!

Just off the Dawn this past Sunday, yes and yes. Lobster night included King Prawns, the wife ordered this and the waiters offered double servings of each.

There was was a King Crab Leg night and the waiters again offered a"All you can Eat". Great food and service all week.

Dawn Patters

Click to Enlarge

<a href=2674702520079335670S200x200Q85.jpg' alt=

Glad to hear the food was good!!!

One question for you RSWBAGER. Did they have some happy pool music played by a small band? We sure missed that on the Crown in the Caribe in December. Maybe that is a cost cutting thing for the ships.

How was the weather and the water-I guess that is 2 questions!!:confused:

Thanks for your information!!

LindaMae

Glad to hear the food was good!!!

One question for you RSWBAGER. Did they have some happy pool music played by a small band? We sure missed that on the Crown in the Caribe in December. Maybe that is a cost cutting thing for the ships.

How was the weather and the water-I guess that is 2 questions!!:confused:

Thanks for your information!!

LindaMae

We had live music (2 Different Bands), each afternoon on sea days and at sail-away's each night.

The weather for us was cool, but we are from Phoenix. This is quoted from the "Log of the Cruise"

San Diego High 60.8 degrees

At Sea.....High 64.4 degrees

Cabo.......High 73.4 degrees

Mazatlan..High 62.6 degrees

Puerto V..High 62.6 degrees

At Sea....High 66.2 degrees

At Sea....High 60.8 degrees

Pool water was 86.0 degrees

Spa water was 104.0 degrees

Log of the Cruise (Click to Enlarge)

<a href=2757052470079335670S425x425Q85.jpg' alt=

Thanks for your up-to-date information. I am glad to hear about the bands and music. It always puts us in the vacation spirit. What I am surprised about are the temperatures. It was cool for Mexico. We stayed a week the beginning of February in PV and it was mid seventies-great.

My son lives in Scottsdale; we were there for Christmas and it was warmer than that. The only cold day was in Sedona!!:eek:

It sounds like you enjoyed the ship and had a great time. Anything special you like doing on port days?:confused:

Also, I did appreciate what you said about the vanilla on another thread. When in Grenda last December we did get the real thing!!

Thanks-

LindaMae

Archived