Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier?

orientodyssey

I am booking an Alaska Cruise on HAL for May. I know it is not the best time to go there but the price seems good and the review from previous few years are not too bad. Plus that is the time we can travel......

The itinerary either goes to the Glacier bay, or Hubbard Glacier. Which one you would recommend me to choose from, which one is more spectacular?

All other ports are the same. Thanks for your input......:D

We went to Alaska on HAL via Glacier Bay, which departs from Vancouver. Lots of scenery to look at. We loved this cruise, but we also went in May and it was very cold.

I think Hubbard Glacier departs from Seattle, which has less scenery and more ocean.

Also, I have read in previous posts that in cold weather it is hard to get close to Hubbard, so the viewing is difficult. That may be the case in early May.

That said, we will probably go the Hubbard Glacier cruise next time because we haven't done it.

Pat

We went to Alaska on HAL via Glacier Bay, which departs from Vancouver. Lots of scenery to look at. We loved this cruise, but we also went in May and it was very cold.

I think Hubbard Glacier departs from Seattle, which has less scenery and more ocean.

Also, I have read in previous posts that in cold weather it is hard to get close to Hubbard, so the viewing is difficult. That may be the case in early May.

That said, we will probably go the Hubbard Glacier cruise next time because we haven't done it.

Pat

Hi, Pat, Thank you for the info.

It seems it better to choose Glacier Bay for May departures....... when you went in May, how cold is it? Does it rain a lot? Thank you for your time and info......

We went the last week in May 2006 leaving from Seattle...it was beautiful and sunny the entire trip except for Ketchikan where it rained. We went to Hubbard...got very close ...some claving...it was breathtaking. Loved it and can't wait to return again.

My only regret is that we didn't see any bear...next time we would like to take a train and see more wildlife.

Missygirl

This question is asked repeatedly on the board. Search a bit and you will get lots of opinions.

Hubbard Glacier is stunning. It is an amazing sight, and if you are able to get close it is wonderful. It is true that earlier in the season there are lots of reports of ships being blocked off by ice in the water.

But Glacier Bay National Park is a World Heritage Site, and well deserves it. It is every way more beautiful and spectacular than Hubbard! There are lots of glaciers, lots of scenery, and also NPS naturalists to interpret. For a first cruise to Alaska I would seriously suggest Glacier Bay.

Check our trip reports at the site in my sig file and you will see reviews and pictures of both places.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Hubbard Glacier is five times as wide as Margerie Glacier, Glacier Bay's best. However, as others just said, the scenery in Glacier Bay overall is much better than that in Yakutat Bay (IMO). You have to see both at least once in your lifetime, so just pick one and plan to go back for the other next year! :D

Hubbard Glacier is five times as wide as Margerie Glacier, Glacier Bay's best. However, as others just said, the scenery in Glacier Bay overall is much better than that in Yakutat Bay (IMO). You have to see both at least once in your lifetime, so just pick one and plan to go back for the other next year! :D

Good Advice. I would do the same, pick one, you won't go wrong or be sorry.

SAw Hubbard aug 2003. WE got up close and saw lots of calving. Doing RT Seatle on WEsterdam May 18th. Hoping for decent weather but will bring winter/rain gear. We will be doing Glacier Bay this time but hear you can't go as far in in the early season due to ice and baby seals.

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. It is my 2nd cruise to Alaska - last one - more than 10 years ago and I can barely remember. I think I wen to Glacier Bay......

But as you said, I will simply pick the itinerary / dates that suite me the best and will not worry about which bay to visit. I know I am going to have a wonderful experience.

Thanks again for taking the time sharing your input!

Hi, Pat, Thank you for the info.

It seems it better to choose Glacier Bay for May departures....... when you went in May, how cold is it? Does it rain a lot? Thank you for your time and info......

We were the first cruise ship into Alaska that year, and it was pretty cold. We're San Diegans, you know. :)

We brought layers, including fleece jackets, gloves, caps. We wore ALL of it, including a windbreaker we bought on board. I also brought boots to wear.

I'm kind of a prissy girl, but I wore that knitted cap all the time, and I didn't even care about my hair. :D

I think it was in the mid to hi 40's. It only rained in Juneau. When doesn't it rain in Juneau ??

It was very, very windy in Skagway, but most of the passengers went on tours. I have problems walking very far, so even though there was a bus for town drop off, I stayed aboard and got a facial.

We will be going again, and when we do, we will go again in May. DH does not fly, so we take a repositioning cruise from San Diego. The repo's are only in May and Sept., so we choose May.

We had sooooo much fun !! :)

Pat

Weather is always a gamble in Alaska, but we had glorious weather in mid-May (shorts in Skagway!) and Glacier Bay was magnificent. We visited Hubbard on the second cruise (August) and saw absolutely no calving. This last trip (early July) the weather in Glacier bay was awful (low 40s, fog, and hard rain). Disappointing, but College Fjord the next day was sunny and fairly warm. You just never know.

All that being said, I would definitely select Glacier Bay. The Park Ranger narration, higher probability of wildlife sightings, and more varied (not to mention magnificent) scenery make it an easy recommendation. For my money, the main feature of Hubbard is its impressive size.

SAw Hubbard aug 2003. WE got up close and saw lots of calving. Doing RT Seatle on WEsterdam May 18th. Hoping for decent weather but will bring winter/rain gear. We will be doing Glacier Bay this time but hear you can't go as far in in the early season due to ice and baby seals.

We have been to Glacier Bay at least four times in late April /early May, and have never had any trouble with ice, and or baby seals. Glacier Bay by itself is worth the money of the entire cruise. Also May is the 'Dry Month', in 35 days we only had one day of rain, [in Whittier], although we did get a little snow once, at the summit of White Pass Railroad.

John

We went to Glacier Bay and it was quite early May, as we were on the ship on Mother's Day. Glacier Bay was the most magnificent site I have ever seen, and by far the most beautiful scenery! HAL turned off the motors of the ship and the quiet was something unbelievable. There was one "calving" moment and it rocked the ship. My vote is for Glacier Bay at that time of year!

In May, I would head out to Glacier Bay because Hubbard is too iffy, this time of year. Later in the season, I would reverse these choices, because one is apt to see more spectacular calving in the warmer months.

You are so right -- May - Glacier Bay.

We had spetacular calving of Hubbard Glacier later in the season - end of June, July and first part of August.

We have been to Glacier Bay at least four times in late April /early May, and have never had any trouble with ice, and or baby seals. Glacier Bay by itself is worth the money of the entire cruise. Also May is the 'Dry Month', in 35 days we only had one day of rain, [in Whittier], although we did get a little snow once, at the summit of White Pass Railroad.

John

For clarification, the right arm of glacier bay, with Grand Pacific and the famous Margerie glacier, is open all season.

The left arm, with the Johns Hopkins glacier, is where the seals raise their pups and is closed to cruise ships until September.

For a pic of the seal pups on the ice Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaska.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

I am booking an Alaska Cruise on HAL for May. I know it is not the best time to go there but the price seems good and the review from previous few years are not too bad. Plus that is the time we can travel......

The itinerary either goes to the Glacier bay, or Hubbard Glacier. Which one you would recommend me to choose from, which one is more spectacular?

All other ports are the same. Thanks for your input......:D

Glacier Bay by all means. The bay is spectacular !!!!:)

• 7 years later...

Another vote for Hubbard Glacier. There is a somewhat long fjord that the ship has to sail in order to get to the Glacier. I found that trip interesting. We were returning to the ocean from the Glacier and were in light fog and mist. Sitting on deck, wrapped in a deck blanket, out of the fog comes a "ghost" ship (that was my first impression) sailing towards the Glacier. Another cruise ship was approaching the site as we were departing. I can still see the event in my mind's eye.

We've done both numerous times, and you can't go wrong with either. Hubbard is a more spectacular glacier thab anything in Glacier Bay, but Glacier Bay is far more scenic than Yakutat.

One thing, in reading this thread be sure to discount the views of those who have only seen one or the other. Since both are really spectacular, everyone thinks there itinerary was "the best".

And the weather is always a crap shoot. Our worst visit to Hubbard (a cold, rainy, dreary day) was in August!

IMO there's no question that Hubbard is the most spectacular single glacier. When the ship can get in close, it's amazing to be on top of the Crow's Nest and have to look UP to see the top of the wall of ice! The glacier routinely calves off icebergs the size of a ten-story building. You won't see that in Glacier Bay.

But as the CC article said

"If you have to choose, keep the time of year in mind. Ships most likely will not sail past Hubbard Glacier during the early or late parts of the Alaska season, as temperatures might be too low for waters in and around Hubbard to remain ice free.

In general, if you've never been on an Alaska cruise, we recommend a cruise that sails Glacier Bay for the full experience."

Edited by jtl513