"LIVE" from the Liberty of the Seas/ 1-05-08

Radio

Radio, where will the Westerdam thread be posted? I'm curious about the Holland America and all the Indo food being served.

The "LIVE" from the Westerdam thread will be on the Holland America boards, starting on March 7th. . .

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks for the video and extra pictures. I love following your "Live" posts, and am looking forward to your "Live" posts aboard the Westerdam. Will you be following that cruise with a comparison of the two lines, or will you strictly be focusing on covering your Westerdam experience?

Probably a little of each. . . . :)

As well as a report from the Baltimore Orioles Spring Training game I will be attending on March 8 (The day before we sail)

Orioles VS Mets 1:05PM

oriole.jpg

Radio

Probably a little of each. . . . :)

As well as a report from the Baltimore Orioles Spring Training game I will be attending on March 8 (The day before we sail)

Orioles VS Mets 1:05PM

oriole.jpg

Radio

You'll certainly need a scorecard this year!!! Bon voyage!:)

Hello Everyone ! I have arrived in Miami today for a pre cruise stay before my "Live" from the Liberty trip report.

I drove to Miami, and it took me awhile to get here. . .but I am happy that I made it safely, and I am happy that I will soon be boarding the Newest...Biggest... and most Beautiful ship in the RCI Fleet.....the Liberty of the Seas.

For those of you that are new to Cruise Critic, I will be providing something more than a Cruise Ship Review. I will be posting Daily Photos, of the Ports of Call, Cabin, Ship exterior, and public areas. I will be able to answer many questions, and provide daily commentary. (Pending valid internet connection)

We will be sailing the Eastern Caribbean, which includes 3 Ports (San Juan, PR. . . St Maarten, NA. . . Labadee, Haiti and several days at sea.

I am looking forward to seeing the many changes that have been made, and the many differences between the Voyager Class, and Freedom Class ships.

There have been many pics that I have viewed from the Freedom, and Liberty. . . .However, this will be my first sailing on a Freedom Class Ship !

I am just a few miles from the Port, and my plan is to arrive at the Port of Miami tomorrow by 11AM. I should be able to post many pics before we sail at 4PM.

Thanks for tuning in !

Radio

Welcome to Florida !

flvc.jpg

My Pre Cruise Miami / Doral Hotel

flhotel3.jpg

Nice Pool. . .

flhotel2.jpg

The Beautiful Liberty of the Seas

LIBERTY2.jpg

Dear Radio,

We i.e. my family and I are going on the Liberty of the Seas western caribbean cruise from 17 May to 21 may 08. It was just by chance that i happened to log on to this site and was amazed to read the amount of information posted here.

First let me introduce my family. We are 2 families coming to the US for the first time in May 08 and decided to throw in a cruise for good measure. We live in the city of Bombay in India. This is going to be a vacation of a life time and the cruise the high point of this trip.

We are 5 adults (5th adult is my sister) and 3 children ages 10, 13 & 13 yrs. We are trying to gather as much info on this ship and shore excursion so wld appreciate detailed info all everything that has to do with this ship, cruise adn excursion. There are so many land excursions to choose from that we are completely bewildered. And they are not cheap. I wld love to have indepth info on the excursions that u do or recommend.

Our cabins are on Deck 3 ; Cat D1 ; Cabin Nos 9526 & 9528 and we will be 4 to a cabin. Wld love to know the dos and donts, things that can be given a miss and things that we must do and see.

One aspect of the cruise that is bothering us is the formal nights. Since we are travelling for over a month in the US and there are baggage restrictions on all airlines, we dont want to waste space carrying a formal wear, especially the men. So if the guys are casually formal in formal trousers and long sleeved formal shirts will they do or will they stick out like sore thumbs. (Renting a tux is out as it is very expensive). Also the kids, (two boys aged 13 and one girl aged 10) do they need to be formally dressed in the main dining room.

What do u mean when u say that one has to buy tickets for the Ice Show. Are they to be purchased. And what is the amount.

Also does one change for dinner everyday, or can u use the main dining room in shorts and t-shirts too.

Since this is our first cruise, wld appreciate if all who read this post can reply with whatever bits and bites of info that they can supply.

U cant imagine the excitment in the family.

Looking forward to many many replies.....

Shiraz & Freddy

Hi and welcome to the U.S. I know Radio and the rest of the crew will get back to you with much better information than I will have. I cruise for the first time on the Liberty the week after yours, so I have been trying to gain information myself. However, I have been on these boards for a while and have done several RCI cruises.

Your cabins are, I think, on Deck 9. I am so glad to see that you have balconies since I think they add a lot to your cruise experience. I don't think you will stick out like a sore thumb on formal nights if you have on dress shirts and pants. The kids should probably dress a little nicer than the usual for those nights too. Shorts and t-shirts are inappropriate for the main dining room in the evenings. Having said that, there are a lot of other dining venues that never require formal dress. There are two specialty restaurants - Chops and Portofino. These do require reservations and are an extra $20/$25 per person. The adults may want to splurge. The dress code in there is smart casual - no shorts there either. Shorts can be worn to the Windjammer, the casual buffet restaurant. This is open for all meals. I know there is something called the Cafe Promenade that serves sandwiches and a pizza place (Sorrento's ?). Both of these venues would be casual as well (i.e. shorts welcome). If you don't want to dress up, there are plenty of other options.

The tickets for the ice show are free. It is just necessary to pick these up. The times that these are available will be posted in the cruise Compass - a daily newsletter that outlines activities.

As for excursions, there is a ports of call board on Cruise Critic with all sorts of ideas. In Grand Cayman, you all do need to go to Sting Ray City. My daughter and I used this tour company when we went last year. It's independent of the ship's tours and costs a little less. It is a short walk from the tender landing. Here's the website:

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityCaptBryans.htm

In Cozumel, the children would probably love swimming with the dolphins. These excursions are really expensive, but it's quite an experience.

Check the Montego Bay board for ideas about tours from independent operators.

Have fun and keep posting your questions. By the way, there is a Meet and Mingle thread for your cruise. Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=561483

You can get to know others that will be on your cruise and get their ideas for activities.

• 3 weeks later...

Radio,

I followed this back in Jan when you wrote it and yesterday I went back through it looking for the exact camera you used. It was as good the second time as it was the first!!

Just thought I would let you know that I purchased the Sony DSC W90 and I am heading out on the Mariner on Sunday! I am looking forward to using it! I have always been a Canon/Fuji gal but your pictures convinced me otherwise.

Thanks again for the great review/pictures!! :)

Here are a few more pics. . .

Radio

Jade / Early AM

w4.jpg

Windjammer / Early AM

w7.jpg

Internet Café at Royal Caribbean On – Line (DECK 8)

w8.jpg

Radio and Captain Charles Teige

W11.jpg

The Diamond Lounge Outdoor Seating Area

sxm63.jpg

Hi Radio,

I'm BIL to LynnTC. How did you like Jade's

Hi Radio,

I'm BIL to LynnTC. How did you like Jade's

I loved it at Jade. There was a different steamed white rice everyday.

The soups were also very good.(They had several different soups) I enjoyed sushi there a few times as well.

Radio

w4.jpg

• 2 months later...
Radio,

i am getting ready to go a cruise on Liberty!!

You have amazing amazing pictures

Can you please tell me what camera you are using??

Thanks so much!

nina :)

Thanks for the nice comments. . .

I used a Sony DSC-W50 for most of the Pics. . .

There have been a number of improvements with the newer models that have come out recently though. . .

I just purchased a new Sony DSC-H10 that I will be using on my next cruise !

Radio

Radio what was your cabin number on your Liberty cruise? From the location I am able to pinpoint starboard toward the aft. I'm staying in a D1 (7384) and was curious to see if that is around where you were and what you thought of that location.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yay, I'm so glad and thankful that I somehow found my way to this awesome thread. I went on a search for Liberty Info and hit the jackpot. This is our #1 choice for Jan 2010 and I wanted to see and read everything I could about this ship. Thank you Radio!

T

Archived