Why are there no solo cruisers cabins on RCCL?

Don't you think that nowadays RCCL should have solo cruisers cabins on their new/refurbished ships?

Why do they only cater for couples/families etc?

Yes I know solo cruisers can still book a cabin but why the heck should they have to pay double fare to be able to cruise with RCCL.

There must be lots of people out there who would like to cruise but due to the single supplement they cant/wont do it.

I would be keen to hear your thoughts on this please.:D

I totally agree, but I can also understand RCI's drive for revenue. I think HAL and Cunard have solo cabins.

You can occasionally find some good single deals.

Also, when you get to 50 cruise credits, the supplement for all cruises drops to 150%. At 75 credits, it drops to 100%.

I figure it comes down to money. If they have a solo cabin, that's only 1 cruise fare - and it's one less double cabin. By only having double cabins (or larger) they are always guaranteed of getting at least 2 cruise fares for every cabin. It's like the fact that most of their cabins on their new ships are actually built to accommodate 3 or 4 passengers - to give families more options in cabins. Offering solo cabins would reduce the options for other passengers.

Not that I like it as I do sail solo, but I can somewhat understand it.

Don't you think that nowadays RCCL should have solo cruisers cabins on their new/refurbished ships?

Why do they only cater for couples/families etc?

Yes I know solo cruisers can still book a cabin but why the heck should they have to pay double fare to be able to cruise with RCCL.

There must be lots of people out there who would like to cruise but due to the single supplement they cant/wont do it.

I would be keen to hear your thoughts on this please.:D

I guess that financial considerations outweigh your argument at least in the minds of the powers that be with RCI and most major cruiselines. The fact is that many single cruisers will pay that single supplement, outrageous as I agree it is, so there is less incentive for them to cater to single cruisers by offering them a more reasonable fare. I am also sure that most of their financial projections are based on there being a minimum of two guests in every room and that when the costs associated with each cabin are the same or similar regardless of whether one or two guests occupy that room they need to charge that supplement in order to bring the revenue generated from that cabin in line with the revenues from two person staterooms. I don't think that they really value single passengers as much as they do couples and families and therefore they see no real benefit to attracting such business.

Interesting question Liz,

especially for me being a solo cruiser.

First of all I think it has with the overall concept in the US to do. I´ve learned that Hotels in the US don´t offer single rates. You always pay for the room regardless if there are one or to occupants.

Now of course one could ask why don´t the cruise lines change the concept and offer single rooms.

My guess is that it´s just not a good concept for them money and space wise. A single cabin would of course have to be much smaller for the cruise line to be able to get as much money form the traveller.

Now with basic needs of a room like bathroom, closet space, bedding etc. they can´t just put two single cabins in the same space as a double cabin, but to make the same ammount of money they would have to.

With this in mind I have to say as much as I would like to see a single fare being much lower than 200% I wouldn´t want to cruise in such a tiny little cabin.

I know some cruise lines offer single fares of less than 200% and I would like to see those on RCCL as well and not only at special sale times.

However again money wise and knowing that a big revenue is not made by the cruise fare but by onboard spendings they surely think it´s better to have two people in a cabin than one.

My husband and I took an older friend with us on a cruise to Hawaii back in 2002. It was on the Hawaiian American Cruise Line. That ship always had single cabins, 1 bed, that were available for "solo guests".

She still had to pay either 75% or 100% ?more of the fare than we did to join us.

I just think they would rather built them for two and hope they fill them.

If not one person has more room. ;)

I also can understand it from a money point of view but it still stinks :( :o

Surely they could have maybe at least 6 single cabins on the ships. The 6 single cabins wouldnt take up much more space than 3 double cabins would they? I bet they would fill up quickly.

My son doesnt want to cruise now until Genesis comes out and not many people up here cruise (they think it is for old people :rolleyes: ) so I am finding it more difficult to feed my cruise addiction. I have to say I was gobsmacked when I read how much the single supplements are :eek: No way am I paying that kind of money so RCCL has lost out on my money for the time being.

Liz, you can always do what I've done. Find a roommate through Cruise Critic. On my last cruise, I was going to go solo then I found a roommate among the friends I've made via CC. It worked out so well we plan on rooming together on another cruise.

I also can understand it from a money point of view but it still stinks :( :o

I absolutely agree here !!!

Surely they could have maybe at least 6 single cabins on the ships. The 6 single cabins wouldnt take up much more space than 3 double cabins would they?

Well unfortunately I think they would:(

Being a solo cruiser, I wouldn't feel so cheated if I got BOTH cruise credits and any other perks that normally BOTH people in a per/person situation would have received for the same cabin booked as a double. If I'm paying 200%, shouldn't I get 2 cruise credits (4 if in a suite), especially since I'm paying for two people?

Liz, you can always do what I've done. Find a roommate through Cruise Critic. On my last cruise, I was going to go solo then I found a roommate among the friends I've made via CC. It worked out so well we plan on rooming together on another cruise.

I am lucky that for my AOS cruise I wont have a problem getting a roomie with one of my CC buddies but if I want to do cruises on this side of the pond it is more difficult to find a roomie, all the CC UK Cruisers I know have partners etc.

I have to say though I wouldnt be comfortable sharing with someone I dont actually know. I am glad to hear it has worked though for you :D

tbruin3235

Oh I never thought about the cruise credits..oh yes now it double stinks being a solo cruiser wannabe :(

Gunnar

I just want to cruise..I dont care about the size of my cabin,heck I am never in mine that much anyway :D

Thanks folks for your thoughts on this,it has kept me awake the last few nights..oh yea that and a sick dog. :(

not to mention that the cabin steward only gets tips from 1 person in that solo cabin and not from 2 people. So the crew may not be as willing to service a cabin, essentially having to do the same amount of work albeit a smaller room, for half of what they'd get for a double occupancy.

Hey Patrick ..is this for real..wow never heard that before :D

Hi Liz - It is true to the best of my understanding. It is very rarely put into print; otherwise I'd scan something and post it. I'm 8 credits away from 75 so it darn well better be true; then I'll always have my own cabin! :D

Hi Liz - It is true to the best of my understanding. It is very rarely put into print; otherwise I'd scan something and post it. I'm 8 credits away from 75 so it darn well better be true; then I'll always have my own cabin! :D

Thanks Patrick :D ...only 8 credits to go to 75..wow..heck I am not even in double figures yet :(

Thanks Patrick :D ...only 8 credits to go to 75..wow..heck I am not even in double figures yet :(

Sure np. I board Mariner tomorrow so I will try to confirm and get something in print.

I may just go on Majesty 8 times to get to 75. :p

100 credits is a free cruise, btw...

Sure np. I board Mariner tomorrow so I will try to confirm and get something in print.

I may just go on Majesty 8 times to get to 75. :p

100 credits is a free cruise, btw...

Ok now you are being so cruel :p ..it would cost an arm and a leg here for me to do some short cruises...heck we dont have any short ones here very often.

Oh I wish I was going on Mariner tomorrow..I had email the other day from Jimmy Blakemore (Pub singer) and he is on the Mariner just now.

Och well hopefully he will be over for the Independence in April :D

Hope you have a great cruise and reach your 75 very soon :D

Patrick, can I use your address for my C&A membership so I can get your status?;)

Being a solo cruiser, I wouldn't feel so cheated if I got BOTH cruise credits and any other perks that normally BOTH people in a per/person situation would have received for the same cabin booked as a double. If I'm paying 200%, shouldn't I get 2 cruise credits (4 if in a suite), especially since I'm paying for two people?

Since most couples who cruise together "are" together, they are really only getting one cruise credit for the sailing. They don't advance TWO credits in their C&A sailing just because there are two of them in their cabin.

And you DO get the full coupon value, and full C&A discount value, and full stockholder OBC value even if you are a single cruiser as long as you are paying full price.

So it's not quite fair to say that you are not being compensated for THOSE things when you cruise solo.

Carol, who cruises solo sometimes, too.

:)

Other solo possibilities:

1) HAL has many OV rooms at 143% and balcony rooms at 187%.

2) Only the QE2 had single rooms; the QM2 and Queen Victoria don't.

3) Carnival has some 1A category rooms (cheapest inside category) with a porthole or 2 windows. Most 1A rooms are true insides, though.

Just some options.

Archived