Notarized affidavit?

Guera88

I am traveling in 1 1/2 wk. with ny 17-year old daughter and saw on Carnival's website I will need a notarized affidavit signed by my husband stating that he gives me permission to leave the country with her. Did anyone ever do this? Will they even ask me for it? And where to I go for such a thing? a bank? HELP!! :eek:

[quote name='Cotton'][b][color=darkslategray]I [i]believe[/i] that's only required if there is a custody case involved. I may be wrong. I'd call Carnival Customer Service and ask.[/color][/b][/QUOTE]
They would have no idea if it is a custody case. If one parent is taking kids out of the country, it is always a good idea to have a notarized letter from the other parent. It take little or no effort to print an authorization letter and get it notarized. We suggest this to all our clients with only one prent travelling regardless of the reason.

Just type out a letter stating it is ok for your daughter, use her full name, to travel out of the United States with you, using your full name, and dates of travel, have him take it to a notary and sign it in front of them. You can look in your yellow pages for a notary or call your local bank, city offices, or an attorneys office. Usually there is no or a nominal fee ($1.00 or $2.00) to have them notorized the letter. It is really not that difficult.

I believe that it is required to have a notarized letter anytime one parent takes a child out of the country unless that parent has sole custody then they just need to bring the custody papers stating that. A few years ago I went away with my son and had a letter written and notarized by a lawyer. Took about 1/2 hour. Cost about $25.

When only one parent is traveling with a child, regardless of marital status, they have to get permission to take the child out of the country. If you weren't leaving the country you wouldn't need it.

I have to do this with my DD as I am divorced from her father. Most banks have a notary of public if you have trouble finding one.

Even in the case of sole custody, depending on the wording of the divorce decree you might could need the affadavit.

Scott's mother could not take him across state lines, much less out of the country, without my permission, despite her having physical and legal custody, and of course I would not sign off on it [i]ever[/i]. She went once without it and had to face contempt of court charges when she returned. It was [i][b]*SWEET*[/b][/i]!

If you are traveling to Mexico, they are very strict about this issue. I was flying to Mexico this summer (not cruising, though) from Dallas, and my husband was parking the car. When I got to the counter at check in, the AA clerk asked me if I was traveling alone and asked me if I had a notarized letter from my daughters' father allowing them to travel to Mexico. When I explained my husband was with us, she said, ok fine, but would not issue us our boarding passes until he arrived at the counter. I don't know how they handle this on cruises, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to have the letter if you can get one.

Scott's mother could not take him across state lines, much less out of the country, without my permission, despite her having physical and legal custody, and of course I would not sign off on it [i]ever[/i]. She went once without it and had to face contempt of court charges when she returned. It was [i][b]*SWEET*[/b][/i]!

tef43-I know your probably a good judge but just curious was there a legitimate reason that you were concerned? Sometimes it could benefit your child to travel. I don't need it for my son but wouldn't sign for my ex ( he lives in Florida me in PA) because he has supervised visitation .

This is a preprinted form

[url="http://landfalltravel.com/child.pdf"]http://landfalltravel.com/child.pdf[/url]

I wouldn't think you'd need an attorney to draft this for you. Like someone else said, you can type up the document yourself and have it notarized. Your husband would have to sign it in front of the notary, though, because the notary's signature is saying that he/she saw your husband sign the document. The notary should ask for photo ID from your husband. I am a notary for the state of North Carolina and there is a charge of $3.00 per signature per document -- it's illegal to charge more. Find out what your state's laws are on that. Again as someone said, banks can notarize signatures for you and they wouldn't over charge you. Some banks even do it for free if you have a certain kind of account with them; check with your bank.

Good luck.

Flying is different than cruising. When flying you absolutely need that letter, death certificate of the other parent, or sole custody papers. It also depends on the destination. Mexico requires it, but Jamaica doesn't. However, when I called Carnival (3 times) and asked if I would need this, they've told me they will not ask for it or deny boarding for not having it. It's a good idea to have in port, because if something should happen like a medical emergency, you would need it. We're traveling with my sons from a former marriage, so I've been concerned.

[b]Thanks everyone! I will get that typed up and call my bank. I even had to order my daughter's "certified" birth certificate because i could only find her copies. I think it was lost in our move last year! All these last minute details! And extra $$$. And for a 4 day cruise only at that! Ay-yi-yi! Oh well! Thanks again!! [/b]

[quote name='Travelitis']Flying is different than cruising. When flying you absolutely need that letter, death certificate of the other parent, or sole custody papers. It also depends on the destination. Mexico requires it, but Jamaica doesn't. However, when I called Carnival (3 times) and asked if I would need this, they've told me they will not ask for it or deny boarding for not having it. It's a good idea to have in port, because if something should happen like a medical emergency, you would need it. We're traveling with my sons from a former marriage, so I've been concerned.[/QUOTE]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I'm not doubting what you say, but when my brother and sister in law were checking in for a cruise on Jubilee the Carnival rep told them they had to have the letter before she could let them board, luckily they had it with them. I think that's the first time I've heard of someone asking for it, but it can happen.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Terri[/font][/b]

I live in Detroit and have never been asked in crossing the Detroit/Windsor border. However, traveling with my sister and her daughter and my son we were asked going and coming - once going to Victoria, once going to Vancouver. Both times coming back into the US. So I always take only when my son and I travel by ourselves.

Archived