This CAN'T POSSIBLY be it!!!!

We too are loyal Celebrity customers. They are owned by the same company. Why can't they just get their act together with the wine list. It CAN'T be that big of a deal for them to change it.

You think that they could restock in the Med to get some better wines that would carry through the experience so it isn't US on the ship and Italy on land... :(

I think it stinks that I would have to pay $3000 per person more to sail on another line, just so I could bring wine on that costs $12 (I would gladly pay the corkage if I could). RCL is the only line we can afford that has the itinerary. If it weren't our HM we probably won't sail them again, which unfortunately means that we won't be able to cruise since we can't afford the other lines so much. (We ruled out Carnival, I'm talking Princess, Celebrity, etc)

I have by no means any expert knowledge about how the F&B business works, but my common sense tells me that I doubt it´s that easy to just stock their wine in the Med.

I would guess that RCCL has contractors for the delivery of F&B supply.

Most likely they are not buying on a ship by ship and cruise by cruise basis, but they are probably contracting supplies for the whole fleet on an extended time period like maybe a year or so. They need to calculate all this into their pricing overall and wine price list onboard. They will have fleet wide price lists that last for an extended period of time as well.

I believe it would be a logistical and administrative nightmare to just stock up a bit when in the Med. They can´t just go to the next wine store and buy a case or two.

Now for Celebrity being owned by RCCL as well and having a better wine list. They are catering to a different clientele. I´m not going to argue if they are upscale or not but they are marketing towards a different group of cruisers. I´m sure RCCL F&B knows what wines they can sell on what ships and where they need to cut the line to make money. Most likely they can sell those better wines on Celebrity and that´s what it makes it worth for them to carry them on Celebrity ships. OTOH they probably can´t sell enough of those on RCCL ships (and we all know that CC members saying they want better wines are just a very small percentage of all cruisers) to make it worth for them to carry them onboard. Don´t forget space is at a premium on a ship and it could cost them way more to carry them onboard just to sell some of it once in a while even at a high marked up price.

Now for Celebrity being owned by RCCL as well and having a better wine list. They are catering to a different clientele. I´m not going to argue if they are upscale or not but they are marketing towards a different group of cruisers. I´m sure RCCL F&B knows what wines they can sell on what ships and where they need to cut the line to make money. Most likely they can sell those better wines on Celebrity and that´s what it makes it worth for them to carry them on Celebrity ships. OTOH they probably can´t sell enough of those on RCCL ships (and we all know that CC members saying they want better wines are just a very small percentage of all cruisers) to make it worth for them to carry them onboard. Don´t forget space is at a premium on a ship and it could cost them way more to carry them onboard just to sell some of it once in a while even at a high marked up price.

I understand that Celebrity is going for a different clientele... that's the point of my post. I can't afford to cruise on a line that allows you to bring wine on. So I guess I can't afford to cruise. I don't drink anything else and to go on vacation and not have one drink for us isn't a very good time. It just sucks because (unlike a lot of other people on here), I really like the food, I don't mind the smoke, etc. I just want to drink something better than Berringer.

I'm sure if they only carried Nat Ice, beer drinkers would complain. Most of the Italian wines that are lowered priced (under $15 a bottle in the states) are really good. RCL could have the same markup on their bottles and just offer something different.

As I said, it isn't going to ruin our HM, but we have already decided we aren't going to cruise RCL again. We actually decided that after our first cruise, but when you find a deal for $85 USD a night in the Med, how can you turn that down?

I understand that Celebrity is going for a different clientele... that's the point of my post. I can't afford to cruise on a line that allows you to bring wine on. So I guess I can't afford to cruise. I don't drink anything else and to go on vacation and not have one drink for us isn't a very good time. It just sucks because (unlike a lot of other people on here), I really like the food, I don't mind the smoke, etc. I just want to drink something better than Berringer.

I'm sure if they only carried Nat Ice, beer drinkers would complain. Most of the Italian wines that are lowered priced (under $15 a bottle in the states) are really good. RCL could have the same markup on their bottles and just offer something different.

As I said, it isn't going to ruin our HM, but we have already decided we aren't going to cruise RCL again. We actually decided that after our first cruise, but when you find a deal for $85 USD a night in the Med, how can you turn that down?

Well I wouldn´t say you can´t afford to cruise. You just made one of your preferences that you are not wanting to go on a cruise without the chance to have wine to your liking.

As I tried to say before but obviously didn´t come through well enough. I think the reason for RCI not offering your desired selection is there´s no market for it on their ships and it would be way too costly to offer it for just a few. And again you can make a poll here and reach 90% of CC members wanting that selection added you are asking for, but that´s still not a market on the RCI ships because CC members represent just such a small percentage of cruisers.

I´m sure if they could sell a bunch of those wines you are looking for they would sell it. They are to make money.

Good luck on spending your vacation dollars elsewhere and enjoy your preferred wine.

RCI's wine and liqour policy stinks. Bye Bye RCI from a diamond member.

Well.........it is what it is...........so if you want to leave over wine policy that is your choice.

I have never expected RC to replace my liquor store selections.....they are a cruise line.

and I respect their business decisions.......don't necessarily agree with all of them.........but again.......it is what it is.

also note that many of the selections on "the list" may not actually be available on your sailing and/or they may only have one or two bottles of a certain type. and some of the markups are much higher than land-based restaurant markups.

yes, the wine list is poor and the alcohol policy is ridiculous. but I try to make the best of it once on board :)

Well I wouldn´t say you can´t afford to cruise. You just made one of your preferences that you are not wanting to go on a cruise without the chance to have wine to your liking.

As I tried to say before but obviously didn´t come through well enough. I think the reason for RCI not offering your desired selection is there´s no market for it on their ships and it would be way too costly to offer it for just a few. And again you can make a poll here and reach 90% of CC members wanting that selection added you are asking for, but that´s still not a market on the RCI ships because CC members represent just such a small percentage of cruisers.

I´m sure if they could sell a bunch of those wines you are looking for they would sell it. They are to make money.

Good luck on spending your vacation dollars elsewhere and enjoy your preferred wine.

well that was unpleasant. I am not the OP and I would never post a poll on here for that.... why do you think I would?

I'm just saying that yes, RCL has alientated me (I'm not saying everyone, just little ole me) from their crusing demographic and in all my other options I can't afford to cruise. I understand why they do what they do (well except the corkage fee thing, that one I don't get) and I understand why they carry what they carry. I am not saying they should carry other things, I'm saying I wish it were different and because of which, I won't be cruising anymore and I think its really sad, because I love doing it. I just don't enjoy having dry vacations.

It isn't just the wine thing that has caused us to try other lines, things just are not the same as they were when we first started cruising RCCI a few years ago. They have cut back on live entertainment, made food cuts, etc. I am not saying I will not cruise RCCI, we are also Diamond, but...we check other lines FIRST now. Maybe if I could bring my wine on board again they would be seeing more of us.

We had one of the best Zinfindals (NOT white) I've ever had on our Med cruise last May in Chops Grill. I lived in Northern CA for awhile and my brother lives in Napa so I've had some of the best and some very expensive wines that I didn't like. This Zin I tried on a whim turned out to be a gem. Rather than having just one or two glasses and saving the rest for another night, we drank the whole bottle the same night! I believe RCCL does have a good wine list that covers most people's tastes. Sometimes you find a gem when you try something new. Now I order it online from the winery.

I've done a search on wine and have been reading for over an hour now. I can't for one second believe that I am going to get on a cruise ship with only 4 different kinds of cabernet. Someone please tell me that I can get some good wine on these ships. Last time I was on RCCL (two years ago) I just sent a case of wine through with my luggage and went to the naughty room to pay my corkage fees. I don't mind having to buy it on the ship, but come on, is that list really all they have? I'm looking for some stag's leap, duckhorn, cakebread.....we're celebrating, don't stick me with modavi PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

They have a reasonable selection. The main dining room has a "regular" list and a "reserve" list. There may also be other selections available at other venues around the ship that are not on the DR selection. I don't remember all the offerings. We don't have as expensive tastes as you in wines, but I know they at least had one Stag's Leap Cab.

Edit: Are you a dental hygienist, btw?

We had one of the best Zinfindals (NOT white) I've ever had on our Med cruise last May in Chops Grill. I lived in Northern CA for awhile and my brother lives in Napa so I've had some of the best and some very expensive wines that I didn't like. This Zin I tried on a whim turned out to be a gem. Rather than having just one or two glasses and saving the rest for another night, we drank the whole bottle the same night! I believe RCCL does have a good wine list that covers most people's tastes. Sometimes you find a gem when you try something new. Now I order it online from the winery.

I'm sorry, but you're not allowed to give such a glowing review to any wine offered on RC.

(At least not without telling us the name of the wine!!!)

I just returned from a week on Adventure yesterday and thay had an issue with wine in the main dining room. They told us they did not get their supply delivered in San Juan and were out of many selections.

They would run out of one selection but would get it from another bar on board if you pressed them. One night after choosing two different wines with no luck they brought a bottle rather than giving me the wine list again. Since I was holding up dinner being delivered to our table I took their selection only to find out it was over $20 more than what I had been drinking. I found the same thing at one of the bars. The bartender offered Calmus Merlot when he ran out of what I had for a first glass. He charged the same per glass. the next night I ordered the Calmus and was charged $24 a glass. Buyer beware !!!

Do they still serve Opus by the glass on RCI? if so, how much is it now? used to drink that all the time at the Champagne Bar and take it to dinner. Used to run around $25 a glass I think.

Loved when we sailed Princess out of Vancouver and the wine didn't have to fly, we took on a selection of Duckhorn, Insignia, Opus and a couple of Stags Leap.....ahh for the days of pre-mortgage, to have the wine cellar again!!

Worldsbest,

We enjoy both RCCL and X, but understand your frustration. I would recommend you look at the fares on X. Depending on the cruise, there may not be as much a difference as you would think. You might also try Cunard. We were on the QMII last year and found the wine selection to be excellent. The passenger demographic is obviously a little different, although that may not be an issue for you.

PS - agree with you on the corkage issue and wonder about the Europe thing. During Caribbean cruises, they put on their liquor in Caribbean ports to save on duty as well as to keep inventory where it needs to be. Why wouldn't Europe be the same? Our first European cruise n RCCL is coming up this summer, but I was under the impression that the dinner menu changes in Europe. If so, why not the wine list?

I'm sorry, but you're not allowed to give such a glowing review to any wine offered on RC.

(At least not without telling us the name of the wine!!!)

I'm going to bet it was the Cline Zin? That is pretty good, someone else just posted a rave about it being offered (unless that was the poster who mentioned it?)

The best solution would be for customers to be able to contact the sommelier and prepay for any special wines that you would like to have on their cruise. I'm not cheap and I don't mind paying for the ship's booze but if you are really into wines the selection onboard leaves a lot to be desired.

I thought RCCL got rid of their sommelier's years ago - perhaps even 9 or 10 years ago.

###

I thought RCCL got rid of their sommelier's years ago - perhaps even 9 or 10 years ago.

###

And that brings us back to the subject of the wine list!

I don't cruise with vinophiles, so I just make the best selection from the available list and if I have questions (like why I was brought a blend when I ordered a cabernet) the waiter scurries back to the sommelier, allegedly. I'm not sure if time travel, general deceit or ineptitude is involved.

One should not expect an extensive wine list on beer and pretzels lines like RCCL or Carnival (these are not by words but rather those of Rod McLeod former VP marketing RCCL).

If you want imported wine and cheese step up to Azamara, Oceania, Princess or Crystal says Rod. :cool:

HAL and Celebrity may be somewhere in between. :eek:

Here is a link to pictures of the wine list: http://travel.webshots.com/album/560040409VZdLVw

Just got back from Freedom and they don't have some of the wines on the list -- no Chianti and no Banfi Barbera d'Alba. The waiter at Portofino said they were having trouble getting sufficient stock of these wines. We could not find the Barbera at any wine store in our area (even by order) on Total Wine & Beverage's website or the Banfi Website in over 2 years of looking.

Here is a link to pictures of the wine list: http://travel.webshots.com/album/560040409VZdLVw

Just got back from Freedom and they don't have some of the wines on the list -- no Chianti and no Banfi Barbera d'Alba. The waiter at Portofino said they were having trouble getting sufficient stock of these wines. We could not find the Barbera at any wine store in our area (even by order) on Total Wine & Beverage's website or the Banfi Website in over 2 years of looking.

There you go. That should answer the OP's question. They have about 20 different cabernets total, including Stag's Leap, which is the first one on the reserve list. The Liberty School, on the regular list is a pretty nice cabernet for the price, as well.

Just did 2 recent RCI cruises (Sept 2007 Brilliance, Jan 2008 Rhapsody) and there are no sommeliers at all on RCI. There are also no red wine glasses, only one generic wine glass no matter if you order an inexpensive white or $120 Barolo. That said, the reserve list is pretty decent so you should be able to find a suitable wine. But if it's red, bring your own glass. ;)

There you go. That should answer the OP's question. They have about 20 different cabernets total, including Stag's Leap, which is the first one on the reserve list. The Liberty School, on the regular list is a pretty nice cabernet for the price, as well.
We had the Liberty School one night, Meridien Merlot (which was pretty good), and 2 bottles of Valpoliacella, Secco Bernini (recommneded in Portofinos -- lighter than a Chianti or Barbera but nice).

I am going to suggest to RCI that they stock a Gabianio, Cecci or Banfi Reserva Chianti (prefereably Chianto Classico). These are similar in price to the Ruffino and seem to be widely available.

Do you mean "oenophiles"? :)

Dang, corrected by someone from Ala-by God-bama! Obviously ain't none of us too sophisticated, they don't know wine, I don't know fancy words!

Just kidding, hope you can take some ribbing from a Georgia neighbor. I'm originally from SC so feel free to look down on me!

Dang, corrected by someone from Ala-by God-bama! Obviously ain't none of us too sophisticated, they don't know wine, I don't know fancy words!

Just kidding, hope you can take some ribbing from a Georgia neighbor. I'm originally from SC so feel free to look down on me!

While I didn't go to school in AL, I do know the Alabama State Board of Education motto: "Thank God For Mississippi and Arkansas!" :)

BTW, spent 3 months working in Orangeburg, SC last year...I'll stay in AL, thank you...

While I didn't go to school in AL, I do know the Alabama State Board of Education motto: "Thank God For Mississippi and Arkansas!" :)

BTW, spent 3 months working in Orangeburg, SC last year...I'll stay in AL, thank you...

You poor thing, Orangeburg can be a pit. I was actually born there since it was the hospital nearest the rural area where I grew up.

We like to visit the Gulf Shores area but haven't been in a few years, since before the storm that wrecked the zoo, whichever one that was.

Archived