Interested in feedback on Voyager's Monte Carlo-Venice itinerary

poss

Having enjoyed two previous Voyager trips, we're potentially interested in this one. BUT: I've never had a great desire to visit either Sicily or Corfu. Would much appreciate feedback on these two ports, and would, of course, be especially interested to learn that folks enjoyed them. (I'd never even heard of Tallinn before our Baltic cruise, and it was our favorite stop of all.) I also much wish that Voyager did longer cruises in the Med, e.g. 10 or 11 day cruises, with a couple of sea days. Much as we liked our Baltic cruise, we liked even better our Dover-Nice cruise last year-- because we had plenty of time to enjoy the ship, eat leisurely breakfasts, etc. I'm not sure about the hectic pace of the Monte-Carlo-Venice trip.... (May decide to try one of the longer Oceania cruises instead-- but we do really love the Voyager.)

Many thanks!

While I have not been to Sicily (though I have quite a few very positive comments from clients), I can tell you that Corfu is a very enjoyable place. It is laid back and picturesque...especially if you don't linger too long in the tourist shopping area. It has wonderful beaches if you are interested and some good history.

Also, we discovered a wonderful, very local restaurant, which served one of the most memorable seafood lunches I have ever had. Very casual, no English spoken, but al fresco dining with a great view of the water and a dozen different types of seafood simply prepared to perfection.

We did a Crystal cruise a few years ago that docked at Taormina and then did a tour of the island--went to Mt. Etna, etc. Sicily was our absolute favorite stop! Taormina is beautiful to walk around and the restaurants are great--lots of open air restaurants with the freshest fish you'll find. The rest of the island was just as lovely and interesting; lots of variety, like mountains and cliffs and flat agricultural land and old cities and new cities. It's a big island, so there is plenty to do and see.

Taormina was wonderful. We took a tour of the town along with a trip up Mt Etna. When we return this year, I think we are just going to enjoy the countryside. Corfu has some neat sites; a good place to rent a car or take a tour. Again, for our second visit this year, we might just go ashore for a little shopping or turn the day into a "sea day."

I don't know why people complain about seven day itineraries when it is so easy to make them into 14 day trips. We are doing Athens to Monte Carlo for 14 days including three full days in Venice. Adding a precruise in Athens and a post on the French Riviera, this ends up as a wonderful trip of slightly less than three weeks. I also wonder why folks complain about lack of port days; just stay on the ship if it is a port you don't like or you have been there before.

Marc

My husband and I lived in Sicily for 2 years and absolutely loved it there! Would go back in a heartbeat and have looked at this cruise to do that very thing :D. Taormina is just beautiful and the food there is the best!

Mt. Etna is also such a wonderful experience that I think you would truly enjoy this stop. And, I agree with you, the Voyager is a beautiful ship! Wish I were on her right now :).

Nice to get the positive feedback on Sicily and Corfu. I've in the meantime done more reading and, for sure, they both sound like interesting places to visit.

Marc: I found your reply curious. For one thing, I wasn't "complaining" abt the Voyager 7-day itinerary (a "complaint" might be something on the order of the a.c. not working and no one bothering to try to fix it.) Many people prefer 7-day itineraries. We prefer ones slightly longer. Emphasis there on the "slightly." Some people can't afford a 14 day cruise, either in time or money (or they simply don't enjoy being afloat for that long).

I assume you meant to say lack of "sea days" in your final point. Once again, this is not a "complaint." Everyone has his/her druthers as far as such things are concerned. When a ship is in port, it's our pleasure to get off and explore. At the same time, we much relish those delicious, lazy days at sea, which kind of oblige us to slow down and enjoy the ship itself-- sort of like our pleasure in an occasional rainy day at home, which forces us just to hang out and slow down a bit and enjoy various inside kinds of pleasures.

Poss -

Did not see your post as complaining at all. :)

You will love Taormina. Been there several times. We didn't bother with Etna but others say it was great. We just explored the town - great ceramics, food, and very easy to walk around. Be sure to enjoy a granita.

hc44

If one skips, lightly, the town, the countryside in Corfu is splendid, especially the North coast. We found a great guide and car using the web site of Taverna Agni. I stiil visit the webcam periodically.

Our day tour , prior to boarding our ship, ended for a meal at the Taverna.

Taormina has been described, and we agree. Visit the archeologic theater.

Another rarely visited port is Syracusa.

Poss, I agree with you about the 7-day itineraries. With the prices so high for Regent right now, I can't get my head around the cost of a b2b for 14 days. But a 10-11 day is just right, and sometimes the price isn't so bad (like the Nice to Dover route.)

For us, still spry enough to hoof around on our own, the alternative is to pad a 7-day trip on one or both ends--I don't like going over the pond for less than 3 weeks if I can manage. But we're not cruising in summer for a while, sticking to tropical destinations when it's miserable here at home. When we start to become physically limited for some reason, then we'll probably want to do longer cruises, if we can afford it.

Those of us still working often can't take enough time for a 14 day cruise off, especially if it starts and ends somewhere other than the US. The 7 and the 10 or 11 night cruises are perfect for me. Looking forward to retirement for the longer ones.

Archived