Marriott Marquis Times Square

SailingDeanna

Tell me about the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. Any comments?

How far to the cruise port (New York) for NCL?

Favorite restaurant in Manhattan for American food?

1. fine hotel

2. not far about 1/2 a mile

3. Nathan's...(not really)

American food is one of those really interesting statements....do you mean hot dogs hamburgers etc....

Hi,

My DH and I usually stay at Marriotts all over the World. We stayed at this hotel in NYC two years ago and while it had beautiful rooms, I could hear the music in Times Square up to the top floor of the building. I slept with ear plugs. When we went downstairs it was a ZOO. The ticket window for the Broadway Shows is next to the lobby entrance and thousands of people were lined up to buy tickets. We didn't pay for the our stay since we used Marriott points and will NOT go back to that hotel.

Sheila

I've stayed at the Marriott Marquis for business regularly for over 20 years now. Just stayed overnight in December and will be there for a week in a couple of weeks. It's a large, busy hotel. The guest rooms are very nice and the service is impersonal but very good. As for noise - the hotel's in Times Square! It's not the quietest location in the city. The lobby is on the 8th floor (meeting rooms and the theater occupy the floors below). I find the lower guest floors to be noisier since there are lounges with music on the lobby level, but the music usually ends by 11 or midnight. The upper floors are quieter. If light bothers you at night, ask for a room that does not face Times Square; even with the draped closed, the flashing lights can sometimes be a problem. If you haven't been to New York often, you might want to visit The View lounge at the top of the hotel for a drink; it's a revolving lounge with great skyline views. I've always been satisfied with my stays.

With respect to food, I wouldn't eat at the Marriott - it's Marriott food and it's overpriced. There are lots of options in the area; it depends on your price range and your restaurant preference. If you're not interested in wandering too far from Times Square for dinner, I'd recommend Frankie and Johnnie's on 45th Street between Broadway and Eighth Avenue. It's a steakhouse with atmosphere. There are cheaper places to be had outside the Times Square area, though.

Right now the TKTS booth for discounted Broadway tickets is located on the 46th Street side of the hotel while Duffy Square is being renovated. I'm not sure of the timetable for opening the new ticket booth, but the arrangement with the Marriott is not permanent.

As for traveling to the pier, the taxis line up at the Marriott's taxi stand (unless it's raining:rolleyes:) and you're going from 45th and Broadway to 55th and 12th Avenue. It should be a very quick trip to the pier.

Eat at Juniors! It's literally right next door to the hotel, and it's one of my favorites in Times Square (I used to work next door to the Marriot Marquis in the MtV building - that's where Juniors is located as well, and it was a favorite lunch spot for us).

It's not that expensive, for the area, and it's a fun place to eat. The food is really quite tasty as well :)

Oh, and the cheesecake (if you like cheesecake) is to die for :)

I also recommend John's Pizzeria and Tony Dinapolis. Oh, and if you like BBQ, there's Spankys on 43rd between broadway and 6th as well. MUCH better than Virgils (which is also a BBQ restaurant, but over on 44th between broadway and 6th), in my book.

Wow! You guys are such great help. I am checking online about the restaurants you suggested. I had previously been leaning towards Virgils because this board recommended it on another thread. I'm glad to hear of the better one.

I'm not too concerned about the price, as we will only be in NY for one night pre-cruise. We are celebrating my husband's birthday (40th).

By American food, I meant a sit down dinner with a fun atmosphere. BBQ is fine. Steaks are perfect. And my DH loves cheesecake!

I don't mind the noise at the Marriott as we like action spots.

Any more suggestions? What about breakfast in the morning?

• 2 weeks later...

I agree about Juniors. Good cheesecake and great location. You should also consider the Carnegie Deli ( 854 Seventh Avenue, at 55th Street). A little bit of a walk, but it's NYC and walking comes with the territory and you'll work up an appetite that way. I haven't tried the pizza places, but my husband had some off a street cart once and said it was great.

The View lounge is nice. They have a buffet, but I think it is overpriced for what you get. Nice to go for a drink, though, and the view is awesome.

I just returned from my latest stay at the MM. Four nights and everything was fine - room well cared for, good bell service - it was raining when I left and they found me a taxi fairly quickly! I had the chance to visit the following restaurants for dinner:

Rosie O'Grady's: The one on 46th Street, not 7th Avenue. I had smoked salmon and French onion soup - both very good.

Les Halles - 411 Park Avenue South (between 28-29th Streets). French brasserie. Very good food (I had steak au poivre), although we were a bit crowded on the enclosed porch. They make a crepes Suzette tableside that was very impressive (and very good, according to my fellow diner who ordered it).

Mi Nidito - 852 8th Ave. (51-52nd Street): Very good Mexican. I had nachos with guac and sour cream and enjoyed it. Also a frozen margarita - very good. The service was friendly, if a bit disorganized.

Tavern on the Green. Okay, I was with a large group for this dinner and that may make a difference. They served absolutely the most horrid appetizer I have every tried - it was a shrimp aspic (I think - at least it was gelatin-y) with guacamole and raw onions. One bite and I was done. The entree (a beef filet) was fine, although over-sauced, and the dessert was good. The restaurant is gorgeous at night and the service is impeccable. IMHO, this is a restaurant you visit for the atmosphere, not the food.

Sailing Deanna - One of my friends had dinner at Virgil's BBQ in Times Square and thought it was great. I've heard the same from folks that work in Midtown.

These restaurant ideas sound fabulous. I have been researching them as you mention them on their websites.

How much are you supposed to tip the bellman for getting you a cab?

Also has anyone eaten at Ruth's Chris steakhouse? It seems it would also be walking distance.

It seems most of you are happy with this hotel. I have officially booked it and I'm quite excited about it.

We are for sure going to eat cheesecake at Johnny's. Does anyone know if you can pre-order a birthday cheesecake from them?

I'm glad you recommended Virgils. It seems all the restaurant websites rank it highly.

Ruth's Chris is very good. They are all over the place, not just in New York. My favorite, favorite, favorite of all steakhouses is Angelo and Maxie's.

http://www.angelo-maxies.com/

My second favorite is Keens, and it's loaded with history. They have a museum there with pipes all over the ceilings. They even have Abraham Lincoln's playbill from the night he was assassinated.

http://www.keens.com/

Third favorite is Frankie and Jonnies.

http://www.frankieandjonnies.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I love New York. I go twice a year. I always eat breakfast at Ellen's Stardust Diner, they have a singing wait staff and it is right down the street from the Marriott. Junior's has the best cheesecake I have ever had. We always take the subway to Little Italy and Chinatown, we love them both. Little Italy restaurant that is fabulous is Positano's. The food was incredible. Eating in Times' Square area near Marriott can be very expensive and touristy, prices in some of these cafe's are ridiculous. Bobby Flay, from the Food Network Show has 2 restaurants in NYC. They are good also, pricey, but worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

You might also want to consider Marriott's Renaissance Hotel in Times Square, about three blocks north of the MM. It's much smaller and quieter, with a cozy, friendly feeling I've never gotten from the MM. I also feel much more secure at the Renaissance. The MM is always so crowded, I've never felt quite safe.

If you decide to stay at the Marquis, be sure to close your blinds when you are in your room. My friend works just across the street and her office window looks across at the hotel. She's much of the guests than she ever bargained for :eek:

i love virgils...and havana central as well......

the marquis IS very busy (that is an understatement) and a little noisy....:D

BUT.......if you want to be in times square, you will put up with it!!!

juniors is pretty good too....i was there pretty late one night...(i thinkthey are open 24 hours, or very close to that!)...had matzoh ball soup and cheesecake. YUM!

have fun!

If you decide to stay at the Marquis, be sure to close your blinds when you are in your room. My friend works just across the street and her office window looks across at the hotel. She's much of the guests than she ever bargained for :eek:

This is quite hilarious! I will keep that in mind!:D

the marquis IS very busy (that is an understatement) and a little noisy....:D

BUT.......if you want to be in times square, you will put up with it!!!

Okay, I'm getting a bit nervous about my pick. I do want an exciting place to celebrate. HMMM. I'm thinking again. Are we talking lots of lines for check-in, long waits, etc ?

You might also want to consider Marriott's Renaissance Hotel in Times Square, about three blocks north of the MM. It's much smaller and quieter, with a cozy, friendly feeling I've never gotten from the MM. I also feel much more secure at the Renaissance. The MM is always so crowded, I've never felt quite safe.

Okay tell me about this hotel. Is it in Times Square? Or just outside of it? Can you see Times Square from your hotel window? Has anyone stayed there since the remodel? You posters are so awesome. Thanks for your help!

It's me, DCDiva's friend and I'm looking out at the Marriott Marquis right now. Nothing to report, thank goodness. :)

I highly recommend checking Trip Advisor for reviews from people who've stayed in the hotels as well as this board (which, obviously, is great too!). It looks like the Marriott and Renaissance are equally rated there, but you can tell by others' comments whether they have what's important to you.

As far as the view, with any of these hotels, the view really depends. You could be looking at Times Square or you could be looking at me...

Okay tell me about this hotel. Is it in Times Square? Or just outside of it? Can you see Times Square from your hotel window? Has anyone stayed there since the remodel? You posters are so awesome. Thanks for your help!

The Renaissance is a much nicer hotel in Times Square but more like the MM's sophisicated older sister. Foley's Fish House, inside the hotel has fantastic views of Times Square from both the bar and the restaurant.

As far as cuisine goes, wow your husband and take him to Gramercy Tavern. It is one of the best restaurants in New York and many New Yorkers favorite. It is on 20th Street between Park and Broadway so it isn't a far ride from either The Marriott Marquis or The Renaissance.

Archived