LIVE from the Diamond to Hawaii

TorontoTL

Hi Everyone,

We too were on this cruise and agree that disembarkation was the worst out of over 15 cruises with many different cruiselines. The line (or lines as there were no crew/staff directing anyone until too late) went from Club Fusion all the way back to Princess Theater, and then BACK to club fusion for immigration/customs. The line intersected with those that had already gone through customs in the atrium, causing a major traffic jam.

Add no staff for direction, and the captain continuiously calling for additional people to disembark (to add to the line) and it was mayhem! When staff finally arrived to 'help' it was the poor bingo calling cruise staff. No officers in sight! Such a shame.

Deck 5 had some snafu with getting luggage off so apparantly no waiting areas on deck 5 were available as had been the plan. Also, customs arrived on the ship over an hour later than planned.

Many many people missed their flights that we ran into.

It was a mess!

However, Crooner's bar staff Jigs and Marie (no more Beverly) were the highlight of our day. Even the last day when they saw our despair and made us laugh in the congestion of disembarkation!

Thanks Benny - Captain Yeomans was on board in October too. Is Lee Childers still the CD?

So the new disembarkation procedures aren't implemented yet on the Diamond? It sounds like it was the old mess of everyone congregating on stairways and in the atrium? :confused:

Jamie, this was the new "silent disembarkation process". I think in theory it can work, however, there must be flexibility in the "silent" aspect of things and better management when things don't go as planned.

Again, this really was a great cruise and I'd book it again in a heartbeat.

Jamie, this was the new "silent disembarkation process". I think in theory it can work, however, there must be flexibility in the "silent" aspect of things and better management when things don't go as planned.

Again, this really was a great cruise and I'd book it again in a heartbeat.

Thanks Benny!!!

Hi Everyone,

We too were on this cruise and agree that disembarkation was the worst out of over 15 cruises with many different cruiselines. The line (or lines as there were no crew/staff directing anyone until too late) went from Club Fusion all the way back to Princess Theater, and then BACK to club fusion for immigration/customs. The line intersected with those that had already gone through customs in the atrium, causing a major traffic jam.

Add no staff for direction, and the captain continuiously calling for additional people to disembark (to add to the line) and it was mayhem! When staff finally arrived to 'help' it was the poor bingo calling cruise staff. No officers in sight! Such a shame.

Deck 5 had some snafu with getting luggage off so apparantly no waiting areas on deck 5 were available as had been the plan. Also, customs arrived on the ship over an hour later than planned.

Many many people missed their flights that we ran into.

It was a mess!

However, Crooner's bar staff Jigs and Marie (no more Beverly) were the highlight of our day. Even the last day when they saw our despair and made us laugh in the congestion of disembarkation!

WOW!!! This was a MESS!! :eek: :eek:

Susan,

What were the issues with disembarkation? Has Princess implemented the new disembarkation procedures?

So glad you had an amazing time!! I can't wait to go back -- 6 weeks from tomorrow! :D

We too were on this cruise which was wonderful until the VERY, VERY WORST poorly executed, and most ALARMING disembarkation we have ever experienced in our 50 cruises on other lines. This was not Immigration's fault. There is absolutely NO excuse for Princess not to have had numerous Officers/Staff stationed throughout the 7th floor monitoring colored tags (that was the problem - all 2,000 passengers ignored their assigned times to come to Immigration according to their colored tags and all came at 7:30am on the 7th floor), and there was not one Officer/Staff checking or doing anything to redirect the masses of people. Only white (carry off luggage) and yellow tags (flights before 12:00) were to have been in line for Immigration at 7:30am. The Pricesss Officers should have checked the tags of everyone in line causing massive congestion from the bow to the aft and crowding all the stairways, and redirected those passengers that were not to be in line back to their designated areas until their assigned time. We became extremely concerned for the safety issues, especially if there had been a fire, as over 2,000 plus people were jamed shoulder to shoulder from the bow to the aft, and tempers were becomming hostile. The LAME announcements from the Passenger Services Desk went to deaf ears. Even the Staff in the Wheelhouse Bar for the Platinum members would not go out because they were so tired of being yelled at, and kept asking us what we thought should be done. Security did not ask for our colored tags when disembarking, and anyone that had cleared Immigration started leaving even though it was not their color tag or time. It nearly became a riot. People started pushing and shoving trying to get through all the people lined up for Immigration. After arriving at the airport, we learned many missed their flights because of this. What a NIGHTMARE and MESS!!! If Princess cannot handle a simple disembarkation, how in the world can they handle a TRUE EMERGENCY!! I don't think we will be sailing with Princess again due to concerns for our safety. It truly spoiled a wonderful cruise, as the last images of a cruise stay with you the longest.

Wow, what a difference on our cruise. I was on the Dec. 3 cruise and the disembarkation was one of the easiest I have ever encountered. Maybe it was because we had the valet bag service (the one that is $15 pp). We met in the Explorers Lounge and they called us a few minutes late and we went out and boarded the bus to airport. Left within 5 minutes of boarding and didn't see our luggage until we arrived at our home airport. Very, very easy.

Susan,

What were the issues with disembarkation? Has Princess implemented the new disembarkation procedures?

So glad you had an amazing time!! I can't wait to go back -- 6 weeks from tomorrow! :D

We too were on the Diamond - Hawaii 2/1-2/16 cruise which was wonderful until the VERY, VERY WORST poorly executed, and most ALARMING disembarkation we have ever experienced in our 50 cruises on other lines. This was not Immigration's fault. Since the same disembarkation problem occurred on the previous cruise to ours, there is absolutely NO excuse for Princess not to have had numerous Officers/Staff stationed throughout the 7th floor monitoring colored tags (that was the problem - all 2,000 passengers ignored their assigned times to come to Immigration in the Club Fusion according to their colored tags and they all came at 7:30am on the 7th floor), and there was not one Officer/Staff checking or doing anything to redirect the masses of people that were lined up from the bow to the aft, and in the stairways. Only white tags (carry off luggage) and yellow tags (flights before 12:00) were to have been in line for Immigration at 7:30am, then assigned a lounge until our time to disembark. The Pricesss Officers/Staff should have been checking the colored tags of everyone in line causing massive congestion and crowding, and redirected those passengers that were not to be in line back to their designated areas until their assigned time. We became extremely concerned for the safety issues, especially if there had been a fire, as over 2,000 plus people were jamed shoulder to shoulder from the bow to the aft, and tempers were becomming hostile. The LAME announcements from the Passenger Services Desk went to deaf ears. Even the Staff in the Wheelhouse Bar for the Platinum members would not go out because they were so tired of being yelled at, and kept asking us what we thought should be done. Security did not ask for our colored tags when disembarking, and anyone that had cleared Immigration started leaving even though it was not their color tag or time to do so. People pulling carry on luggage started pushing and shoving trying to get through all the people lined up for Immigration. It nearly became a riot. After arriving at the airport, we learned many missed their flights because of this. What a NIGHTMARE and MESS!!! If Princess cannot handle a simple disembarkation, how in the world can they handle a TRUE EMERGENCY!! I don't think we will be sailing with Princess again due to concerns for our safety. It truly spoiled a wonderful cruise, as the last images of a cruise stay with you the longest.

Wow, what a difference on our cruise. I was on the Dec. 3 cruise and the disembarkation was one of the easiest I have ever encountered. Maybe it was because we had the valet bag service (the one that is $15 pp). We met in the Explorers Lounge and they called us a few minutes late and we went out and boarded the bus to airport. Left within 5 minutes of boarding and didn't see our luggage until we arrived at our home airport. Very, very easy.

We were on the December 18 cruise and like you found the disembarkation to be the easiest we've ever had and we didn't have valet bag service. We reported to our area at the assigned time and waited about 15 or 20 minutes before our assigned staff member let us know that we could proceed to exit. There were people checking our ticket color as we left. It sounds as if the process has fallen apart a bit in the last few cruises. If there are delays and you have passengers trying to just leave without waiting for their group to be called I can imagine how chaos could ensue. The last few reports make it sound downright dangerous.

Having disembarked from this same cruise in the same port, I cannot imagine what is wrong. This was in October and we were off and on our way at 9:00 AM. Immigration went the way it should; uneventfully. If it ain't broke....don't fix it. Sounds like Princess is trying to fix what "ain't broke."

Pia

We were on the Dec 18 to Jan 2 cruise too and had a really easy and orderly disembarcation. It sounds like the passengers on the latest sailing didn't want to coooperate and then blamed someone else for their problems. Too bad. It only takes a few to ruin it for everybody.

It seems the pier where the Diamond docks may make a difference in the type disembarkation you experience.

This information was reported on our roll call:

Pier 93 is a larger pier and allows the ship's immigration to take place OFF the ship. If the Diamond is the only ship in port, it uses Pier 93. Pier 92 is a smaller pier and immigration must take place ON the ship. If other ships are in port with the Diamond, the Diamond uses Pier 92.

Since most of those mentioning the terrible disembarkations also mention long immigration lines ON the ship, it seems those disembarkations must be at Pier 92. Those who have experienced the easy disembarkations are probably arriving at Pier 93.

It seems the pier where the Diamond docks may make a difference in the type disembarkation you experience.

This information was reported on our roll call:

Pier 93 is a larger pier and allows the ship's immigration to take place OFF the ship. If the Diamond is the only ship in port, it uses Pier 93. Pier 92 is a smaller pier and immigration must take place ON the ship. If other ships are in port with the Diamond, the Diamond uses Pier 92.

Since most of those mentioning the terrible disembarkations also mention long immigration lines ON the ship, it seems those disembarkations must be at Pier 92. Those who have experienced the easy disembarkations are probably arriving at Pier 93.

This makes a great deal of sense. We were at Pier 93 and went through immigration off the ship upon our disembarkation from the Diamond. I knew there was a second pier as we have seen other ships there when we embark, but I didn't realize it made such a difference upon return. Thanks for explaining that.

Benny - I want a blow by blow of how they get big old Diamond Princess into the tiny port of Nawiliwili. Enjoy your cruise!

I watched the Diamond park at the port in Ensenada while onboard the Monarch of The Seas. It was amazing to see it turn and just slide up to the dock.

This makes a great deal of sense. We were at Pier 93 and went through immigration off the ship upon our disembarkation from the Diamond. I knew there was a second pier as we have seen other ships there when we embark, but I didn't realize it made such a difference upon return. Thanks for explaining that.

Yes, the Diamond Princess did dock at Pier 92 and Immigration came onboard. It has been noted Princess had the same horrible Disembarkation problem on the prior cruise to ours, and they should have already known to have had Officers/Staff (which were none) ready on Deck 7 at 7:00am to check colored tags and times before permitting anyone in line, then redirect those 2,000 passengers that did not follow directions back to their assigned lounges. I saw one of the passengers taking pictures of the event, so maybe he will put them on cruise critic to view. Hopefully, the cruise in progress will benefit from all the comments. The overall cruise was the BEST, except for the Nightmare Disembarkation!!

For anyone on the Hawaii cruise, a question not related to the disembarkation fiasco:

In your Princess Patter on the days you were in Lahaina and maybe Kona (if you went there), before going ashore were you warned to eat only in safe restuarants and drink only bottled water? This is what they said in Patter on Tahitian Princess when we sailed on her from Tahiti to Hawaii last July. As a part-time Maui resident, I freaked and complained to the front desk, maitre d' and anyone who would listen. The MD said "someone" got sick on Maui. I said, "Where? I've eaten in half the places in Lahaina."

He didn't have an answer. Furthermore, I told him that when I'm jogging I have drunk water from public fountains. I mean, Hawaii is a state, not some third world country.

Anyway, so what if anything did Patter say?

I checked our Patters from our December 18 Diamond cruise and on three of our five days in Hawaii there was a boxed section at the top of page three that offered general tips for safety and security. The last bullet point said "Be careful when choosing places to eat and drink ashore." The only reference to bottled water was in another section where it was referring to heat and sun protection. This box appeared in our Patters on our days in Kona, Honolulu and Hilo. It did not appear on our Patters the days we were in Kauai, Lahaina and Ensenada. Kauai and Ensenada were both holidays (Christmas and New Years) and as such there were a lot of extra activities listed in the Patter those days, so I'm guessing they just didn't have room to include it. On the days it did appear, it didn't seem to relate specifically to a certain port, it was just good general advice for passenger well being.

Thanks, both "moms."

I suspect it was a local problem--i.e.the crew who ran the Tahitian Princess. Although we loved the ship and the itinerary, we had our moments with people in charge (not the working folks). A ships go, our favorite Princess ship is Island. Just so nicely layed out and full of some of the finest art work at sea (the stuff on the walls, not the stuff they try to sell you).

I have just looked at the Patters for our Feb 1 2008 Diamond cruise and there was no mention anywhere about the food or water in Hawaii being a risk. The only mention really was that the ship's food was not allowed off the ship.

This makes a great deal of sense. We were at Pier 93 and went through immigration off the ship upon our disembarkation from the Diamond. I knew there was a second pier as we have seen other ships there when we embark, but I didn't realize it made such a difference upon return. Thanks for explaining that.[/quote

We were on the 11/18 sailing and docked at pier 92. The immigration/customs process was in Club Fusion. Everything went smoothly, and we were off the ship earlier than the projected time. We found a couple of chairs out on the Promenade deck and watched folks leave the ship until our color tag was called. Just as we boarded the bus for the airport, a bomb scare was reported and folks disembarking were ordered to walk to pier 93 for safety. Those on the ship were taken to the water side of the ship. It was reported that there was a 45 minute delay, but except for that, being at pier 92 had nothing to do with what this sailing experienced.

I have a question for everyone who sailed on the Diamond..........

I am almost positive that Princess has our itinerary for the 4/1 sailing wrong. They have us tendering in Kauai even though we are the only ship in port that day. And they have us docking in Lahaina!! To the best of my knowledge, Lahaina does not have a cruise ship pier!! :confused: :confused: Unless they built one since last October!! LOL!

So did you dock in Kauai and tender in Lahaina? Some of the folks from our roll call and my TA called and the Princess reps keep insisting that the intinerary is right -- tender in Kauai and dock in Lahaina. :eek:

Archived