What is the Deal with All-Inclusives?

QueenDido

I have heard cruisers can now buy day passes at some of the all-inclusive resorts near ports. Since my boyfriend are I are the type who really appreciate a calm beach and a cool drink (well, who doesn't? :p ), this seems perfect.

We're on the 3/03/08 Ecstasy sailing that stops in Cozumel and Progreso. We'd probably prefer to do the beach day in Progreso and hit the bars in Cozumel, but we're open to suggestions for either.

Does anyone know of good all-inclusive resorts nearby that will do day passes? How does this work?

I've only done one AI in Coz and that was Playa Mia... back when I did it, it was horrible!! But I understand it is under new management and it is better. I typically do the beach and bar thing in Coz (Paradise Beach and CNC's) Only because I can spend about the same money as an AI and not get the watered down drinks, and much better food. It's a toss up... there are only a few AI's I have had good luck with, one of those being Sunset Beach in Montego Bay :D That one was great!!!

Try the Beach Break through www.cozumelcruiseexcursions.com . The beach is very clean very UNcrowded. There's unmotorized water sport toys, a big beautiful pool/jacuzzi, swim up bar. A WONDERFUL lunch ( I don't remember what else they had...I only went for the ribs...:D ....ALL INCLUSIVE. It was really a great day. You just tell them what time to pick you up & they'll be there waiting for you.

So given that I shouldn't be planning a beach day for Progreso, what should I do there? Are there any good bars/shopping/restaurants to look out for?

I had a great time at the beach in Progreso. This is a Gulf beach, however, so the water is not as clear as in the Caribbean. The water is clean, but is cloudy with fine sand. There are palapas with waiters that will take very good care of you. I recommend finding a spot across from "viejo y el mar" (something like that).

If this beach does not sound inviting, another choice is taking the bus or taxi to Merida.

Progresso beach day ?

Lets see ... I tried that a few months ago ...

Brown murky water with seaweed

Vendors that harrass you continuously

non stop

no matter how many times you say NO

and that you have NO MONEY:mad:

Both in Spanish and english

they did not care

they kept coming back over & over again

We got so annoyed

that we headed back to the

ship very early:(

Cozumel beaches are great though

We did Dolphin Discovery (not with Carnival ) and

even enjoyed time in their pools

and we also did Mr Sanchos Beach club

not an all- inclusive but nobody hassling us at all

Both were great

But like I said not all - inclusive

sorry

Our beach excursions on Dawn Princess to the Mex. Riviera last Oct were all to all-inclusives. There were vendors at every beach except in Puerto Vallarta-Dreams resort, repeatedly trying to sell us junk and blocking our view of the water. I don't know anything (yet-will in Nov) about western Carib. Mexican beach resorts, but from what I've read it seems like vendors are an issue there too. The nicest thing about all-inclusives is everything is included-food, drinks, use of pools, etc.

Here's a suggestion...

Google "all-inclusive Progresso (or Cozumel) resorts" and see what comes up. Then go to those web sites and investigate. Not only will you find something about the beach clubs (or lack of) you will educate yourself a lot more and may find links to other places or get better ideas of what you can do there. Comments on Paradise Beach in Coz should be taken in the good intensions of the poster but make sure you check the Cozumel or Progresso sites here on CC to get more opinions and find out current conditions. We had some of our cruise mates go to PB last year and they said it was the worst beach they have ever been to because of the roughness. Probably because of the recent storms. But keep researching before you go. You'll be glad you did. If you get a chance to go to Jamaica, go to Sunset Beach. GREAT place!

Smooth sailing!

I do second the suggestion to do a lot of research yourself, BUT, that said...

We are spending the day at Playa Uvas in Cozumel next month. They have several different packages to choose from, most of which are all-inclusive. (Oh, and Playa Uvas is not a resort, but it is a beach club.)

For instance, we are paying $59/pp for facility use, beach chair, beach towel, umbrella, locker, all-you-can-drink, food, guided snorkeling tour, and guided clear kayak tour. This is for the whole day. That is their most expensive package--they have ones that cost less that do not include the snorkeling/kayaking, or ones that include the open bar but no food, etc. Also, if your group is like ours and there might be one person (my grandmother) who wouldn't take advantage of the open bar or the water sports, they do have a $7.00 package that includes entry fee, facility use (chair, locker, umbrella, towel, etc), and one welcome drink.

Their website is http://www.playauvas.com but it has been malfunctioning lately. You can still book it with Eduardo via e-mail and he is very quick to respond.

We LOVED Paradise Beach in Coz. You pay like $9 and get to use all the water sports and equipment and you can sit on their beach in lounge chairs with umbrellas and they have servers that come to you. A bucket of 5 Dos Equis wasnt too expensive (we even got one for free) and the food was GREAT! They have free internet access and also have tents where ladies give some cheap massages. They also have jet skis there to rent. I would go back there in a heartbeat!

melounging.jpg

We LOVED Paradise Beach in Coz. You pay like $9 and get to use all the water sports and equipment and you can sit on their beach in lounge chairs with umbrellas and they have servers that come to you. A bucket of 5 Dos Equis wasnt too expensive (we even got one for free) and the food was GREAT! They have free internet access and also have tents where ladies give some cheap massages. They also have jet skis there to rent. I would go back there in a heartbeat!

melounging.jpg

I second that opinion and I don't remember any vendors ever bothering us at PB either. The drinks are worth every penny you pay for them (which is very reasonable), they are not watered down at all. The nachos at PB are to die for. That is the only food that I've had there so can't comment on anything else :-)

That said, I'm sure there are beaches with better water access. PB is a little rocky when entering so to be on the safe side, take water shoes.

If all you plan to do is lay in the sun, drink & eat, get wet periodically, I highly recommend PB. Unless you plan to use the floats or climb the rock thing I believe it is free as long as you drink and eat.

Have fun!

That said, I'm sure there are beaches with better water access. PB is a little rocky when entering so to be on the safe side, take water shoes.

There is.....Mr. Sanchos.:D There are no waves and no rocks and the water is beautiful. No entrance fee. No vender's. Great food and drinks.

But hey what am I saying......go to Paradise Beach.... all of you:D

DH and I did Progresso 2 1/2 years ago, detour thanks to one of the hurricanes. If we had known what it was like, we would have stayed on the ship. If you want to do something...the tour to Meridia is your best bet. Good luck, and have fun.

We went to the all-inclusive Wyndham in Cozumel. It was $30.00 per person and we had a great time. It is a quiet beach. The hotel was beautiful and very clean.If you decide to go make sure you take water shoes for all the rocks in the water. I couldn't imagine trying to get in the water without them.

Archived