Menu changes

shofer

I guess a lot of it depends on what you're used to. We don't get much lobster here, so if I have to pick my way through 3 or 4 to be happy instead of one large one - so be it.

On our first cruise 6 years ago (out of NY) we sat at a table with 6 ladies who had obviously buried at least 2 husbands each. We were in awe of everything and must have looked like kids in a candy store (we're not kids....). But the "ladies" who were talking about which cruise they just got off, or which one they were going to as soon as they got off this one, were all complaining about the food which we thought was wonderful (and it wasn't even BBQ!). All we could think was "wonder where they eat every day???"

We've done the UBB and the UBD and loved the experience for the extra money. We probably wouldn't do it again - but not because we didn't enjoy it or because of the extra money - just been there done that.

I have a question about ordering off the menu. I really love French Onion Soup and I have noticed that it is no longer on the menus for the CB. Has anyone ordered this and had any luck getting it?

Any other things people have ordered that are not on the menu that they really enjoyed?

On the CB back in October the waiter offered the French Onion Soup as an "off the menu" special one of the nights, I *think* it was the Chef's Night dinner.

On the CB back in October the waiter offered the French Onion Soup as an "off the menu" special one of the nights, I *think* it was the Chef's Night dinner.

I was also on the CB in October and recall that both French Onion Soup and Escargot were offered in addition to other menu items, although not on the same night, IIRC. Same thing on the Emerald 2/4-2/14 sailing.

Chris

I have seen many times on these boards that people would make a special request the night before and get it w/o any problem. The night before our last night, I asked if I could get chocolate souffle since we had missed the first formal night. The response I got was the dessert menu for the next night with the waiter proudly pointing out the Baked Alaska. So I guess it depends on your server.

When we went to Hawaii on Celebrity, with my cousins, two of whom are very picky eaters, one of them asked during the 4 day sail back to LA if they ever had corn as a veggie. The next night and every night after that, we had corn on the cob every dinner. They would also only eat thousand island dressing and that was on the waiters tray every night also.

I have a question about ordering off the menu. I really love French Onion Soup....QUOTE]

Ordering anything “off menu” is hit and miss. You are looking at a menu for the dinning venue you are in, but there are other eating venues on the ship.

In your post you mention French Onion Soup. While it may not be offered in what ever dinning room you were at, it MAY have been on the menu at Sabatini, Sterling or even for room service. The question then is it being made in the main galley or if they are willing to send someone to one of the other venues to retrieve it.

On our last cruise my wife asked if crème Brule was available. She was told no but that it may be the next night. The following evening she asked a different waiter and explained what the previous night’s waiter had said. She was told he would see what could be done, but to order an alternate dessert just in case. Everyone was served the desert that had been ordered from the menu, but in addition, everyone was served a crème Brule that had not been finished with the torch. It was clear that someone had gone to Sterling where the Brule was served every night and brought back enough for the entire table, but they were not able to do the finishing step to caramelize the top.

The bottom line is I don’t think they will prepare one “order” of anything, but will do their best to provide it if it is available somewhere on the ship.

For those who say that small lobster is no big deal, just order more, THAT DID NOT WORK FOR US LAST MONTH!!!

We were on the Dawn and lobster was listed as something that could be added to any meal. Our waiter (we had assigned seating btw) told us that we could each only have ONE ONLY, that they wanted to make sure that there was enough to go around.

Later, he brought us a plate of four tails for the four of us and that was it! He said that was all he could get us. Each tail was maybe thumb sized, about 1/5th the size of what we got a year before, and even then, we got seconds. As far as I am concerned, Princess is only offerring this things so that they can say that they still offer "lobster". Also, Sterlings didn't offer lobster either.

<<And the lobster, what a laugh that was! It was so tiny and they served it with 2 prawns. It was barely 4-oz. I hear if you pay the premium for the Ultimate Balcony dinner, then you get a large lobster tail.>>

We did the Alaska cruise on the Dawn Princess in 1997. At that time the lobster was free-flowing. I had 2 or 3 that night. One of the people at the table had 5.

And there was no soda card back then. Soft drinks were free!

<<And the lobster, what a laugh that was! It was so tiny and they served it with 2 prawns. It was barely 4-oz. I hear if you pay the premium for the Ultimate Balcony dinner, then you get a large lobster tail.>>

We did the Alaska cruise on the Dawn Princess in 1997. At that time the lobster was free-flowing. I had 2 or 3 that night. One of the people at the table had 5.

And there was no soda card back then. Soft drinks were free!

How much was your cruise back in 1997 compared to what you paid now?

In 1991 I cruised to Bermuda in an inside cabin for $1600 for 2. Pretty much the same prices today. If the masses want cheap prices they have to cut back somewhere.

Bill

The lobster tail and shrimp on the Coral recently was excellent. It may have been small but it tasted good.

I have noticed smaller portions, but I don't mind because I can enjoy the dinner without being "stuffed" - and of course visit the Horizon Court about 11 pm to check out the goodies there!

Thanks for all of the replies. I was just wondering how ordering off the menu works with anytime dining? We don't usually get reservations for the same time and place every night as this defeats the purpose of anytime dining. We can tell the waiter one night and if we have a different waiter the next night how would we be able to get the item? (Assuming it is available.)

Archived