Is the Adventure O seas too big

RnD

We have been on a lot of cruises (52), but never on any ship as large as the Adventure.

Are the lines huge everywhere?

Is the food comparable to say Celebrity?

How are the service staff?

We have an aft JS on deck 6 reserved, and honestly were not crazy about a ship with over 3K people on it. Though the ice skating rink is appealing, we wondered if it was ever empty enough that you could actually use it. We always hated carnival due to the masses of people on board whose main function seemed to be how drunk they could stay for the week, and how much noise and damage they could create. I hope this is not the case here.

Just looking for some advice from experienced large vessel cruisers.

You'll be amazed at how un-crowded the Voyager class ships feel. I don't know what you expect, as far as food goes, but you won't go hungry. The food is fine--just don't expect 4 or 5 star.

RCI has some of the best service going--I think you'll be pleased.

You can use the ice rink--make sure you have long pants, tho! And don't miss the show! You'll be told when to pick up tickets (a crowd control thing--there are plenty for everyone!)

Voyager class is my favorite!

We have been on a lot of cruises (52), but never on any ship as large as the Adventure.

Are the lines huge everywhere?

Is the food comparable to say Celebrity?

How are the service staff?

We have an aft JS on deck 6 reserved, and honestly were not crazy about a ship with over 3K people on it. Though the ice skating rink is appealing, we wondered if it was ever empty enough that you could actually use it. We always hated carnival due to the masses of people on board whose main function seemed to be how drunk they could stay for the week, and how much noise and damage they could create. I hope this is not the case here.

Just looking for some advice from experienced large vessel cruisers.

You will not find crowds on this ship. The passenger flow is amazing on all the RCCL cruises we have been on. Wonderful service, delicious food (IMO). The skating is fun to watch or do at sea.

You will find a wonderful variety of ages and types and we have never encountered any wildness like you described, nothing even remotely close.

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree about the AOS not being crowded. How ever I did travel last week 2/17-2/24/08 which is a U.S. school vacation week. On the days at sea it was impossible to get a pool seat because people reserved them with towels etc. And the Windjammer/Island Grille seats at peak times were difficult as well. Those were the only areas that crowds were a problem. I had a very nice vacation on the AOS.

When we booked a new cruise for the February vacation week 2009 I wanted few days at sea and a smaller ship. We will be trying the Serenade of the Seas.

this is our fav class of ship ( so far)- it can take a few minutes to find a seat in the windjammer at breakfast but we have always managed to find one- as far as tendering off the ship, we have never had an early excursion that required us to get off super early- we usually wait an hour or so to let the poss. crowds go first getting off when a tender is involved- other than that i have not noticed lines being very bad at all-

Yes. This class is huge and we found it to be crowded and we sailed in early December. Usually this time of year is not a busy time in all the cruises we have taken. The thing we disliked the most was the closed-in feeling due to the Promanade. It was a unique setting, like being in a mall, but I don't necessarily want a "mall" on my cruise. We prefer glass and views of the water, therefore, we book smaller ships. Enchantment is our favorite. Everyone has their own favorite so perhaps you will like the amenities of the Voyager class ships. Happy cruising whatever you decide.

I did find AOS a bit large and I have some issues with some of their design choices. For example, who designs a library with a hallway running through it and right between two sets of elevators with an overlook that's open to a VERY busy public area? :confused: It's like trying to read in Grand Central Station.

We found the flow of people in the WJ to sometimes not make a lot of sense. People naturally gravitate to the closest line and sometimes it wasn't clear that other "sections" of the buffet were open or closed, but the line stopped at the first area. Seating (as mentioned before) was difficult during peak times, but in the evening, it was heaven! Chose it over more crowded/formal dining choices.

Overall, will I sail on AOS, yes. But it would be for choice of itinerary vs the ship.

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree about the AOS not being crowded. How ever I did travel last week 2/17-2/24/08 which is a U.S. school vacation week. On the days at sea it was impossible to get a pool seat because people reserved them with towels etc. And the Windjammer/Island Grille seats at peak times were difficult as well. Those were the only areas that crowds were a problem. I had a very nice vacation on the AOS.

When we booked a new cruise for the February vacation week 2009 I wanted few days at sea and a smaller ship. We will be trying the Serenade of the Seas.

I was on that cruise as well and if you think there were too many kids ( and I didnt think there was) then don't go during spring break times. Sure the pool area is going to be busy when it is 85 and sunny but I have seen the same problems with small ships and the WJ is always busy in the front sections at 9am and noon. The bigger ships IMO have less of these problems because they have more options of things to do and more room

I did find AOS a bit large and I have some issues with some of their design choices. For example, who designs a library with a hallway running through it and right between two sets of elevators with an overlook that's open to a VERY busy public area? :confused: It's like trying to read in Grand Central Station.

We found the flow of people in the WJ to sometimes not make a lot of sense. People naturally gravitate to the closest line and sometimes it wasn't clear that other "sections" of the buffet were open or closed, but the line stopped at the first area. Seating (as mentioned before) was difficult during peak times, but in the evening, it was heaven! Chose it over more crowded/formal dining choices.

Overall, will I sail on AOS, yes. But it would be for choice of itinerary vs the ship.

I agree the set-up of the library is a bit unusual.............

I didn't think it was at all too crowded, but because of the design of the ship, that is, trying to fit so many things onto the ship, the ebb and flow wasn't quite perfect, and some things were hard to find or get to (without reading the maps outside the elevators). I remember not finding the schooner bar until the last night, and thinking I missed out on something cool.

As for the size, I suggest to everyone to get a stateroom close to one of the elevator banks, because you walk forever back and forth if you're too far forward or aft.

If it's the southern itinerary you're looking for, check into the Serenade, as long as it's the right time of the year. We have been on two Celebrity m-class ships and found Serenade very similar. For the combination of itinerary and ship, the Serenade southern is our favorite cruise to date.

We have been on Mariner, and thought it crowded at certain times such as waiting to get into dinner and walking the Promenade in the evening. Also, while the ice skating rink was fun, the time it was available for skating was very limited. The ice show itself was great. Overall, we did enjoy out cruise on Mariner, though, and are going to sail on the Independence this year.

My wife and I have been on 3 Voyager class ships .. the Adventure, Explorer and Mariner. We love them .. especially the Promenade.

All things being equal (week of the year and adult to kid ratio) it is no more crowded than smaller ships.

But I know everyone has there preference. We have not been on a ship that we disliked .. but still prefer the big ones most of the time.

I actually think the flow on the Voyager class ships works well to lessen the "crowded" feeling.

Is the food as good as Celebrity? Not having been on X, I couldn't say.

If you tend to like smaller ships, this may not be the ship for you. I have a friend that really likes the smaller ships and even found Celebrity Galaxy to be too big.

How is the service staff? Excellent in my opinion. Everyone I have ever met on the ship greeted me with a smile.

No cruise is a bad cruise, so it may be worth a try for you.

Jen

I actually think the flow on the Voyager class ships works well to lessen the "crowded" feeling.

Jen

When we were aboard for the day on VOS on a sold out cruise departure day, I never saw a crowd... As said by others and from Explorer experience the ship is laid out very well to keep it from feeling crowded...

Just curious, but why is that a school vacation week?

When we were aboard for the day on VOS on a sold out cruise departure day, I never saw a crowd... As said by others and from Explorer experience the ship is laid out very well to keep it from feeling crowded...

There are times once you set sail that get a bit crowded, but the Promenade makes it less problematic as compared to the Radiance Class ships. I love that class as well, but the negative of Radiance class ships is that you get packed like sardines as you are moving from the DR to the theater in the evening. On Voyager class ships you have more than one avenue to traverse the ship and the Promenade doesn't leave you feeling as "closed in".

Jen

We went on AOS during Spring Break two years ago. There were a lot of kids on board, but they were never a problem. Like most reviews and cruise lines out there, the number of deck chairs is proportional to the number of guests, and there's never one available when you want one (lots unoccupied, but most with people's belongings or towels on them - sorry, I digress - just a pet peeve of mine). Otherwise, the food was good, service with a smile, no ridiculously long lines to speak of. It was such a good experience, we're setting sail on FOS (even bigger than AOS) this Spring Break.

As long as one of the avenues in not going from forward to aft on decks 2 and 3. You will hit studio B.(Dead end) up to deck 4 to make way to the other parts of the ship.

Happy Sailings!:)

our next cruise is AOS...from past experience on Explorer...the only crowd we found was a very long line of people trying to get off for shore excursions the first port day! I think everyone was afraid their tour would leave without them! after the first day things calmed down and leaving the ship was not a problem again!

i would suggest, don't be late getting back on the ship, there will be a long line just because there are so many people! but we had this happen on a large carnival ship once too...luckily we were on board, watching the crowd who all wanted to be the last one on!

Beverly

Just think. If RC keeps building its ships bigger and bigger, the Voyager ships will soon be the smaller ships in the fleet. :D

That will soon be true. Just learned that Majesty of the Seas has been sold and will be pulled out of service sometime in 2009. Radiance class indeed will be one day be the smallest RCI ships. It will be sad, though, when they start to be sold off, maybe in ten years.

Archived