St. Martin to Anguilla

EKELLEY

• 1 year later...
It took me awhile Shecup, but I found the review.

This was the best detail review of visiting Anguilla for the day!

I'm using it as a reference point for my upcoming cruise!!!!

Thanks! Can't believe it has been 2 years! You can see in the avatar that the little guy that was just a bump in the belly on the beach that day has grown considerably! We were just back in St. Maarten this May, but didn't go to Anguilla this time. Any questions, ask away.

Toonjie I kept your review in the back burner just in case I could ever sail on a cruise with a long port time in St. Martin.

On my upcoming December cruise, we are in port from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

I want to return back to St. Martin no later than 5:30 p.m.

My goal is to get off the ship early as possible, head to the taxi stand to head over to Margiot.

Now I will admit that prior to catching the ferry, I want to stop in the craft market and purchase some curry.

My question is once you cleared customs, at the taxi area where they also offering island tours? I'm not a true beach person. One hour is more than enough for me. I would love to do an island tour, a little beach time, lunch and then head back.

I figured that at least $200 should cover my transportation, tour, and lunch. I might manage to find someone on my roll call or ship who also want to head over to Anguilla for the day, but just planning for myself.

Any advice or suggestions are most helpful!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks toonjie for the great post. We are headed to Anguilla for our day trip too! :)

Enjoy your trip!

Please post a review of your day trip!

Also, if you can, post the departure times from St. Martin, esp the early ones!

toonjie...fantastic review! Great pictures and great details. I'll keep this one in mind for our next venture in St Maarten. And congrats on the little one!

airlinkdiva...change Sept 2011 to Jun 11, 2011 and venture on the Dream Western with us. Just sneak some Corky's ribs in your carry-on...:D

Crew.

Toonjie I kept your review in the back burner just in case I could ever sail on a cruise with a long port time in St. Martin.

On my upcoming December cruise, we are in port from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

I want to return back to St. Martin no later than 5:30 p.m.

My goal is to get off the ship early as possible, head to the taxi stand to head over to Margiot.

Now I will admit that prior to catching the ferry, I want to stop in the craft market and purchase some curry.

My question is once you cleared customs, at the taxi area where they also offering island tours? I'm not a true beach person. One hour is more than enough for me. I would love to do an island tour, a little beach time, lunch and then head back.

I figured that at least $200 should cover my transportation, tour, and lunch. I might manage to find someone on my roll call or ship who also want to head over to Anguilla for the day, but just planning for myself.

Any advice or suggestions are most helpful!

Hi. I see you are on the Masdaam and that it also goes to St. Lucia, if that's the case, then I would wait and get your curry in St. Lucia. (Do a search for toonjie's AOS Review and you will find detailed instructions and pics on how to get to the spice market, which is just a 10 minute walk from the pier.) I would head straight to the pier to catch the ferry, because, as I remember, time was tight. There are many cab drivers waiting when you arrive in Anguilla and you can make arrangements then for a tour, a drop off at the beach and then a pick up for one of the ferry rides back to St. Maarten.

Hi. I see you are on the Masdaam and that it also goes to St. Lucia, if that's the case, then I would wait and get your curry in St. Lucia. (Do a search for toonjie's AOS Review and you will find detailed instructions and pics on how to get to the spice market, which is just a 10 minute walk from the pier.) I would head straight to the pier to catch the ferry, because, as I remember, time was tight. There are many cab drivers waiting when you arrive in Anguilla and you can make arrangements then for a tour, a drop off at the beach and then a pick up for one of the ferry rides back to St. Maarten.

Thanks, I will go back and check out your St. Lucia review!

Right now St. Lucia day is a loss. This is my third stop here and I want to do something different,but relaxing. Beside the spice market, what other things are in the downtown area?

Thanks, I will go back and check out your St. Lucia review!

Right now St. Lucia day is a loss. This is my third stop here and I want to do something different,but relaxing. Beside the spice market, what other things are in the downtown area?

There is a mall right at the pier, (Pointe a Pitre) there is also a small straw market across from the spice market, (mostly cheap t-shirts, etc.) (about a 10 minute walk from the ship.) It is definitely a good place to walk around and observe island life. You could take a cab to a beach like Ti Kaye or Reduit for a relaxing day. Rain forest zipline is really good with a gondola ride to the top. This was our 4th time to St. Lucia, including a week stay, and it is one of our favorite islands.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

We are considering a cruise to St. Maarten in hopes of seeing Anguilla. From what I read on the boards the taxi ride is approx $20 each way and the ferry about the same? Once in Anguilla are there things to do/see like the beach, historic sites within walking distance from the ferry? How much time should we allow there? It'll be our first time on both islands and want to spend time in St. Maarten.

Thanks

We are considering a cruise to St. Maarten in hopes of seeing Anguilla. From what I read on the boards the taxi ride is approx $20 each way and the ferry about the same? Once in Anguilla are there things to do/see like the beach, historic sites within walking distance from the ferry? How much time should we allow there? It'll be our first time on both islands and want to spend time in St. Maarten.

Thanks

There is not much that I saw around the ferry. We rented a car the last time that we went. It was in July and the price was $25.00 plus $20 for a license I believe. We went to 3 beaches:Shoal Bay East, Rendevous and Meades. The beaches are lovely but the island is really flat and not very interesting. We stayed about 5 hours or so. We hadn't been since 1992 so it was nice to see it again and it made for a nice inexpensive day trip while vacationing on St. Martin. There were plenty of taxis at the port as well if you prefer to travel that way.

• 4 years later...
Here's a copy of the St. Maarten part of our AOS cruise review and the long winded answer to your question:

“Tranquility Wrapped in Blue,” Leaving when You’ve Just Arrived

Phenomenal review!! Thank you!! I know it is many years later but this helped my planning. We are a family of 5 and hope to travel to Anguilla for the Dolphin Discovery Program. With the prices you quoted and the inflation over the years.... maybe RCI's prices aren't that crazy.