Ever cruise with only the clothes on your back? No luggage?

gatorclaw

Of course there's lots of debate about how much 'stuff' is too much 'stuff' to take on a cruise. But I don't hear much about what's the minimal you can get away with.

I have a fantasy of taking a 7 day cruise w/ basically the clothes on my back- no luggage at all. Here's what I'd take:

Pants: khakis on top of shorts on top of swimtrunks.

Shirt: t-shirt under a polo shirt.

Shoes: loafers

Pockets: wallet, cruise docs, camera.

That's my purist idea. And I think it would be so liberating to not have to worry about any junk. You can just buy a toothbrush, deodorant, and some sandles on board. You can even rent a tux if you really want to go to formal dinner.

You could branch out a bit by bringing a little bag to carry more items, maybe an extra shirt or some underwear. But I don't think that's being 100% commited to the concept. :)

Anyone do anything close to this before? Am I off my rocker for wanting to do this?

I think it depends on your age and sex, me I need my bathroom stuff. Toothpaste, dental floss, antiacids (just in case and other similar), toothbrush, hair shampoo and good creme rinse, a comb and brush, and on and on. If it gets rough or I do an excursion where I need better griping, I want my track shoes. We have done a 5 day with one carry on each.

Well... Underwear is always good for 4 days, and sometimes 5.

Day 1, Fresh pair of underwear.

Day 2, Take off underwear... turn around... and pull back on.

Day 3, Take off underwear... turn inside out... and pull back on.

Day 4, Take off underwear... turn around... and pull back on.

Day 5, Take off underwear... hold up to nose and Sniffff... if bareable, put back on. :eek:

Never seen or heard of on a cruise...however, after my highschool graduation (Long time ago) about 40 of us from my school went to Myrtle Beach SC for a week. One guy tagged along...he had only the clothes on his back and a box full of liquor an weed. Had only about $200 and no hotel room. He stayed in which ever persons room who could stand his smell. I think he slept in a stairwell a couple of nights. He rode down with someone else and they left him and went somewhere else. He slept, swam (Both ocean and pool), puked on and God knows what else in the same clothes all week.

When I left he was still there. Who knows what happened to him.

One pair of Clothes, No Car, No Hotel, Not much Money, but plenty of booze and weed....I guess he had his priorities in order!!!

With regard to the underwear....

A friend in our roll call was worried about not having time to pack...said he might just have to use the back up plan and just take underwear. I brought him a pair of crazy boxers on the cruise just in case he resorted to the back up plan!:p :D

(Hi John!;) )

I've never done this, nor do I ever want to. But I did meet a couple of people on Destiny last week who were doing it -- not by choice. Their luggage had been LOST! One guy didn't even speak English -- he was Russian. Another woman (on the pizza line) was telling us how she hasn't been to the dining room once all week.

Of course there's lots of debate about how much 'stuff' is too much 'stuff' to take on a cruise. But I don't hear much about what's the minimal you can get away with.

I have a fantasy of taking a 7 day cruise w/ basically the clothes on my back- no luggage at all. Here's what I'd take:

Pants: khakis on top of shorts on top of swimtrunks.

Shirt: t-shirt under a polo shirt.

Shoes: loafers

Pockets: wallet, cruise docs, camera.

That's my purist idea. And I think it would be so liberating to not have to worry about any junk. You can just buy a toothbrush, deodorant, and some sandles on board. You can even rent a tux if you really want to go to formal dinner.

You could branch out a bit by bringing a little bag to carry more items, maybe an extra shirt or some underwear. But I don't think that's being 100% commited to the concept. :)

Anyone do anything close to this before? Am I off my rocker for wanting to do this?

As for women. NO woman could go 7 days without some clothes. We are too picky. And who ever said 1 pair of undies will last 5 days is sick. Maybe for a man, but not a woman.

If you chose to do it, put extra undies in your pants pockets. don't forget your sports jacket.

I personally would not doit. I did by accident one time go on vaca without undies. ended up finding a kmart and buying some. also ended up going to a funeral without any blouses. had all my pants packed, but go 1300 miles from home for my dads funeral with only the shirt on my back. Needless to say, it was hot, and we needed to go buy some extra clothes for me.

We are getting our suitcases from 6 to 2 now. We all put our 3 days worth of clothes in one suitcase, take enough money to do laundry mid week, and our garment bag for dress wear. DD and DH wear mainly jeans. ME, i need to change 2 x a day sometimes. always take 2 extra pair of pants in case of rips or tears.

but to come down from 6 bags to 2 is an awesome thing. Still take 2 collaspable bags in case they are needed on the trip home. One for last morning dirty clothes for sure.

My DS (11 @ the time) and I (5mo pregnant @ the time) also did this because of our luggage being lost. NOT something I want to repeat. It was only a 4 day cruise and I our luggage came back to us in the last port, but I was mortified!

Thank God I followed the advice I found online and we each brought in our backpacks a change of underwear and bathing suit (in case the luggage wasn't in our room yet and we wanted to swim). I went to the dining room anyway, it wasn't MY fault I only had khaki shorts and a t shirt!

Carnival was awesome too (was the airline's fault), maybe b/c being hormonal and being on a trip without my husband or any other adult and our luggage was lost and I was bawling crying on the phone to DH with poor DS standing there saying "its ok mom".

We were given free carnival Tshirts (which I used as a nightie and a swim cover up), a toiletry kit in a carnival case each, and free formal rentals for formal night.

That was the first time I ever got trip insurance (not through carnival though), and you'd better believe I'll buy it for all my trips from now on! I was able to use any extra time in port to buy some things (although nothing fit - being pregnant and all) and was reimbursed later.

Well... Underwear is always good for 4 days, and sometimes 5.

Day 1, Fresh pair of underwear.

Day 2, Take off underwear... turn around... and pull back on.

Day 3, Take off underwear... turn inside out... and pull back on.

Day 4, Take off underwear... turn around... and pull back on.

Day 5, Take off underwear... hold up to nose and Sniffff... if bareable, put back on. :eek:

With regard to the underwear....

A friend in our roll call was worried about not having time to pack...said he might just have to use the back up plan and just take underwear. I brought him a pair of crazy boxers on the cruise just in case he resorted to the back up plan!:p :D

(Hi John!;) )

The "back up plan" lives!!! See, you thought I was nuts!:cool:

It's simply a "guy thing" :p

In My Belly!!! :D

LOL Tyde! Great idea!:D

Me, I'm a very light packer for a female. I could probably do a short cruise with 2 tops, a pair of shorts, a skirt, my sparkly flipflops, a bathing suit and a wrap. Small toiletry bag, too, of course! That wouldn't take up much room, but it's the least I could do and be comfortable! :cool:

LOL Tyde! Great idea!:D

Me, I'm a very light packer for a female. I could probably do a short cruise with 2 tops, a pair of shorts, a skirt, my sparkly flipflops, a bathing suit and a wrap. Small toiletry bag, too, of course! That wouldn't take up much room, but it's the least I could do and be comfortable! :cool:

You didn't wear those sparkly flip flops to formal night did ya? LMAO Howdy Fintoo, what's shakin sweetie?

You didn't wear those sparkly flip flops to formal night did ya? LMAO Howdy Fintoo, what's shakin sweetie?

Of course I do! With my sparkly jeans!:p

I'm with Tyde. Thought you'd be trying to keep the beer in the fridge cold! ;)

It's nice to see ya'll again! Haven't had the chance to chat in quite a while!:D

Archived