Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

From this thread and others, I have gained much valuable information about our Cruisetour with the Sapphire Princess in June. I still have some questions about how to get from the cruise port in Vancouver to YVR. Too bad the port website didn't have a terminal map, so I could visualize our arrival there.

I understand we leave the ship, clear customs, collect our luggage and find our transportation to the airport. The transportation issue is still not clear.

Our small group of six seniors will take a limo to the airport. I further understand that it is cheaper not to make a reservation but to get one at the curb. My questions are:

• With two large ships in port, will we have any problem getting a limo?
  • Will there be a long line up to get the limo?
  • Where exactly do we go to get the limo?
  • Do you have any idea of the cost?

Any assistance would be sincerely appreciated.

Edited by Headhoncho

Hi all :)

Background : Next May, I will be 62 with mobility issues celebrating 75th birthday for David. YVR open jaw b2b to YVR.

Plan to fly into YVR day before and then cruise for 2 weeks.

Plan to take Amtrak to Seattle via train round trip the next day (do it because we'll probably not be back).

Plan to leave YVR for NY the next day.

Anyone have suggestions for hotel/mode of transport and cost ? Special place for dinner ?

Thanks in advance.

Cinci :):confused:

Speaking of food, is there any place that's open late by Westin Bayshore? We'll be arriving at our hotel about 12:30-1:00 am. I'll be hungry and my husband will want a beer or two.

Ut may have an idea of something that would be open along Denman St. but failing that I would suggest grabbing a bite at the airport.

From this thread and others, I have gained much valuable information about our Cruisetour with the Sapphire Princess in June. I still have some questions about how to get from the cruise port in Vancouver to YVR. Too bad the port website didn't have a terminal map, so I could visualize our arrival there.

I understand we leave the ship, clear customs, collect our luggage and find our transportation to the airport. The transportation issue is still not clear.

Our small group of six seniors will take a limo to the airport. I further understand that it is cheaper not to make a reservation but to get one at the curb. My questions are:

• With two large ships in port, will we have any problem getting a limo?
  • Will there be a long line up to get the limo?
  • Where exactly do we go to get the limo?
  • Do you have any idea of the cost?

Any assistance would be sincerely appreciated.

No there should not be a major problem getting a limo and there should be little, if any, in the way of a line for them. Just step outside the terminal and you will see limos. A six passenger limo should run you $63 plus 12% tax and a tip.

http://www.aerocar.ca/rates/flat-rates

Hi all :)

Background : Next May, I will be 62 with mobility issues celebrating 75th birthday for David. YVR open jaw b2b to YVR.

Plan to fly into YVR day before and then cruise for 2 weeks.

Plan to take Amtrak to Seattle via train round trip the next day (do it because we'll probably not be back).

Plan to leave YVR for NY the next day.

Anyone have suggestions for hotel/mode of transport and cost ? Special place for dinner ?

Thanks in advance.

Cinci :):confused:

The easy answer relates to cab fare from most downtown hotels to the Amtrak station will run you about $10. With hotels and dinner....are you looking for a 5*, 4* or 3*+ hotel and what kind of a restaurant are you looking for?

No there should not be a major problem getting a limo and there should be little, if any, in the way of a line for them. Just step outside the terminal and you will see limos. A six passenger limo should run you $63 plus 12% tax and a tip.

http://www.aerocar.ca/rates/flat-rates

Many thanks, Putterdude. You provide a very valuable service on this board.

The easy answer relates to cab fare from most downtown hotels to the Amtrak station will run you about $10. With hotels and dinner....are you looking for a 5*, 4* or 3*+ hotel and what kind of a restaurant are you looking for?

Thank you thank you.

3-4 star hotel .. clean without bedbugs. Honest spent the night at a 3.5 next to LGA in NY. I got bites .... they lasted 4 weeks ... simple awful.

Either a steak or a seafood restaurant :) Thanks Putter :)

PS Is that the same price to the airport ?

Thank you thank you.

3-4 star hotel .. clean without bedbugs. Honest spent the night at a 3.5 next to LGA in NY. I got bites .... they lasted 4 weeks ... simple awful.

Either a steak or a seafood restaurant :) Thanks Putter :)

PS Is that the same price to the airport ?

Airport from downtown will run about $35.

Hotels in no particular order:

Marriott Pinnacle

Renaissance

Hyatt Regency

Metropolitan

Sutton Place

Sheraton at Wall Centre

Blue Horizon

Restaurants:

Joe Fortes

The Lift (nice views)

Aqua Riva (nice views)

Hy's Steak House

The Fish House (in Stanley Park)

If none of these work for you then come back and we will find some others for you.

Is Aqua Riva still in business - didn't we post some many moons ago that they were closing up shop due to costs etc.

Cardero's is another place on the water that might be worth a visit.

Cheers

Dennis

We will be getting in to Vancouver late, around 11pm on a sunday night. Catching a taxi to the Best Western on Drake. Any recommendations for a restaurant that will be open that time of night still that is reasonably close by? Prefer close enough to walk (if it's just a block or so & if it's safe to do so at this hour) but we could take a taxi.

How close are we to Chinatown? I'm not picky about what sort of food, just good and not terribly expensive.

Is Aqua Riva still in business - didn't we post some many moons ago that they were closing up shop due to costs etc.

Cardero's is another place on the water that might be worth a visit.

Cheers

Dennis

Ut, you are absolutely correct re Aqua Riva, it closed last summer, I had forgotten.:o I didn't mention Cardero's only because it can be a bit loud...but the food is excellent.

We will be getting in to Vancouver late, around 11pm on a sunday night. Catching a taxi to the Best Western on Drake. Any recommendations for a restaurant that will be open that time of night still that is reasonably close by? Prefer close enough to walk (if it's just a block or so & if it's safe to do so at this hour) but we could take a taxi.

How close are we to Chinatown? I'm not picky about what sort of food, just good and not terribly expensive.

There is a White Spot in your hotel but it closes at 10 pm....Chinatown is going to require a cab in either direction, about $10 each way. That end of the town is Ut's neighborhood and he will likely have some great ideas for you...if not, you may want to grab a bite at the airport before you start downtown.

You won't have trouble finding places to eat as you are at the upper end of the entertainment district and most of the bars have restaurants - there are also a number of Subways in case you want something lite - assuming pub type fair is okay - try Two Parrots - one block from your hotel - open til two AM - I find there food more than adequate but then any meal I don't cook is a treat - two more close by are the Morrisey in the Ramada and Wings in the Harold Johnson - if it is still open and you want some Greek fare - Adonis is good and moderate price.

If you just want some Pizza - while there are a number in the area - Numero Uno - next door to Blenz coffee has pretty good selection and quality

If all else fails - there is a 24 hour Denny's at Davie and Thurlow - about five blocks from your hotel - while there are street people and the area houses a number of special needs types there is enough street traffic that it is safe to walk at night - I am often out until 2AM and feel safe walking back to the condo.

Hope this helps and if you want a good breakfast check out the White Spot.

Going to try and find the web site for Granville street - it should give you some more ideas.

Cheers

Dennis

I walk by it every day so will check an see when I am out for my daily stroll a little later.

Edit: here`s a link to there web site -

http://www.adonisgreektaverna.com/M_Menu.html

Edit again - looks like they close at 10:30PM - Adonis is located at 1265 Granville Street Vancouver downtown near Yaletown neighbourhood and open 7 days a week from 11:30 AM to 10:30 PM.

Wonder if you might be able to phone again and order a to go meal.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

I walk by it every day so will check an see when I am out for my daily stroll a little later.

Edit: here`s a link to there web site -

http://www.adonisgreektaverna.com/M_Menu.html

Edit again - looks like they close at 10:30PM - Adonis is located at 1265 Granville Street Vancouver downtown near Yaletown neighbourhood and open 7 days a week from 11:30 AM to 10:30 PM.

Wonder if you might be able to phone again and order a to go meal.

Cheers

Dennis

I'll just try one of the other places, & try to make it by adonis on monday some time. Thanks for all the help!

Hi Everyone

Looking for your feedback on these hotels please.

Holiday Inn Express Richmond

Holiday Inn Express Vancouver (east side)

Hampton Inn

Sandman Airport

Best Western

I see the Holiday Inns and Hampton are 3 star and the others are 2 stars. Are any of these in a section of town we don't really want to be in?

We are driving from Seattle so we can enjoy the scenery. Will have all day Friday to enjoy Vancouver and then sail away is saturday. Thanks for the help and any suggestions

Robin

Hi Everyone

Hampton Inn

Sandman Airport

Best Western

I see the Holiday Inns and Hampton are 3 star and the others are 2 stars. Are any of these in a section of town we don't really want to be in?

We are driving from Seattle so we can enjoy the scenery. Will have all day Friday to enjoy Vancouver and then sail away is saturday. Thanks for the help and any suggestions

Robin

Living here I haven't stayed in any of them, so I'll stick to location info:

None of them are actually *in* a notorious area. HI Express Richmond and Sandman Airport are far from downtown; if you want to maximize your time doing things I'd recommend staying closer in.

HI Vancouver same deal - it's closer in distance but has no rail access. If you're happy driving around in your car then it might work out OK for you but traffic can be a real bear in Vancouver at rush hour. You'd pass through the 'worst' part of town as you're driving along Hastings - never heard of carjackings though so you'll be safe! In fact you'll be much more dangerous to the local street people than vice versa - there have been many pedestrians hit by cars along that corridor. Be alert for very low speed zones, traffic cameras, police and more than a few people just wandering out into traffic...

The Hampton is in a great location for walking around downtown core - it's a wee bit sketchier at that end of Robson than along in the West end but there's plenty of pedestrian traffic at all hours, I've never felt uncomfortable (I lived a couple of blocks from the Hampton until Xmas 2011).

BW has multiple locations: Downtown & Chateau Granville are in 'party central' so expect lots of street noise, but close to everything downtown; the Sands is ideal for English Bay/West End, also has lots of bars & restaurants around it; Uptown is convenient for Main St (many small shops & restos) and walkable to False Creek & Chinatown; the Albercorn near the airport you're back to 'far away from everything'

Personally I think the Hampton is the best of this bunch.

Fritz will definitely be open (until 2:30am!). Definitely fits your Close, Good and Not Terribly Expensive criteria. And Poutine is a very Canadian thing, must be tried at least once... :)

Hi Everyone

Hampton Inn

Sandman Airport

Best Western

Robin

To provide you with any type of a proper answer it would be useful to know which Hampton and Best Western are you considering?

I've stayed at both the Sandman and Hampton near the Airport. I would recommend the Hampton over the Sandman. The Hampton is about a 10 min walk to the Canada Line which can get you downtown in about 15 mins. If you ask the shuttle driver nicely they might detour to a Canada Line Station on there airport run. After being in downtown you can take the Canada Line to the airport and take hotel shuttle back to the hotel. They do have some pre/post cruise and stay package avaiable.

For those you have to call them direct.

I'll be there on April 12 for our next cruise .

Hi Everyone

Hampton Inn

Sandman Airport

Best Western

Robin

it all depends on where you need to return the car. Another option (if HI is good with you) is the Holiday Inn Metrotown, which is across the street from the Skytrain station @ Metrotown (on the original Expo line). From there you're half a block to Canada place when you get off at Waterfront.

Here is my saga: Flying into Seattle after midnight, taking the train to Vancouver before US Liquor stores are open, arriving in Vancouver on a Sunday, embarkation is on Victoria Day....where am I going to purchase adult beverages to take on board? My research shows that a few BC Liquor Stores are open on 'some' holidays. Can any of you local folks come up with a solution for me...other than just showing up at the port and handing me a bottle of rum:D

Here is my saga: Flying into Seattle after midnight, taking the train to Vancouver before US Liquor stores are open, arriving in Vancouver on a Sunday, embarkation is on Victoria Day....where am I going to purchase adult beverages to take on board? My research shows that a few BC Liquor Stores are open on 'some' holidays. Can any of you local folks come up with a solution for me...other than just showing up at the port and handing me a bottle of rum:D

The BC Liquor store at Albernie & Bute is open.

Here's a link: --> http://www.bcliquorstores.com/store/129

:)

Edited by ell52