Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

I think I'll skip the YWCA. Not saying I wouldn't pay more, (I'm doing 31 days of cruising in a row, so I guess I can spring for something better) but I have seen a lot of hotels on hotel.com and hotwire not much more than $100 in downtown Vancouver and I guess I thought this would be the place to enquire about them...so it was just an enquiry LOL.

We stay via Priceline and Hotwire for $71 plus tax in really nice hotels in San Pedro and Long Beach, so I guess I was making an assumption that close to $100 would get me a decent hotel in Vancouver, and just trying to get info, since I know nothing about Vancouver and had no idea where the Sandman was. But thanks for the suggestion of the Y..but we'll pass! We thought we would do our sight seeing there, but maybe it will just be better to stay in Seattle for two nights and take the morning train there if the hotels just over $100 on Hotel.com and hotwire are not feasible or in good areas.

I do wonder, since you have had no problem on the trains with luggage, why they bother to say, no checked luggage. No wonder people get confused going from Seattle to Vancouver. Has anyone else had any problem bringing on luggage on times that it says no checked luggage?

You could look into the YWCA on Beatty St. While I don't consider it a hotel it is clean, safe, more in your price range and gets you downtown.

I think I'll skip the YWCA. Not saying I wouldn't pay more, (I'm doing 31 days of cruising in a row, so I guess I can spring for something better) but I have seen a lot of hotels on hotel.com and hotwire not much more than $100 in downtown Vancouver and I guess I thought this would be the place to enquire about them...so it was just an enquiry LOL.

We stay via Priceline and Hotwire for $71 plus tax in really nice hotels in San Pedro and Long Beach, so I guess I was making an assumption that close to $100 would get me a decent hotel in Vancouver, and just trying to get info, since I know nothing about Vancouver and had no idea where the Sandman was. But thanks for the suggestion of the Y..but we'll pass! We thought we would do our sight seeing there, but maybe it will just be better to stay in Seattle for two nights and take the morning train there if the hotels just over $100 on Hotel.com and hotwire are not feasible or in good areas.

I do wonder, since you have had no problem on the trains with luggage, why they bother to say, no checked luggage. No wonder people get confused going from Seattle to Vancouver. Has anyone else had any problem bringing on luggage on times that it says no checked luggage?

Vancouver's hotels are expensive as our downtown is on a peninsula and land is very expensive...plus it is cruise season. Right now on Hotwire there is a 4* hotel for 9/1 at $114...that strikes me as a good deal....the Y would be all of that.

Sorry, I can't answer for Amtrak.:)

And that was my point..that I'm seeing these hotels close to $100, so why would you suggest the Y..unless those hotels are not in good areas, or are dirty.

I guess I thought when I saw this board, that people in Vancouver answering the questions would guide us. Hotwire gives hints at what the hotel is..I assume people from Vancouver would have an idea of which hotels people usually get, just like the San Pedro people have helped in the past and we've ended up at great hotels, for a lot less than if I booked direct. I wasn't meaning to sound cheap..just trying to figure out the best way to spend my money..and I don't mean at the Y.

Vancouver's hotels are expensive as our downtown is on a peninsula and land is very expensive...plus it is cruise season. Right now on Hotwire there is a 4* hotel for 9/1 at $114...that strikes me as a good deal....the Y would be all of that.

Sorry, I can't answer for Amtrak.:)

And that was my point..that I'm seeing these hotels close to $100, so why would you suggest the Y..unless those hotels are not in good areas, or are dirty.

I guess I thought when I saw this board, that people in Vancouver answering the questions would guide us. Hotwire gives hints at what the hotel is..I assume people from Vancouver would have an idea of which hotels people usually get, just like the San Pedro people have helped in the past and we've ended up at great hotels, for a lot less than if I booked direct. I wasn't meaning to sound cheap..just trying to figure out the best way to spend my money..and I don't mean at the Y.

Why, you indicated you had a $100 budget, wanted a hotel with a shuttle and wanted to be close to HOHO stops and were looking out at the airport..I thought the budget was the most important factor in the equation and was trying to be sensitive to that. Vancouver is not San Pedro, San Pedro has 2 hotels that cruisers tend to stay in...the Crowne Plaza and the Double Tree both I have stayed in using Priceline and Hotwire and have paid as little as $65. Vancouver has more than 100 hotels.

Vancouver people don't stay in Vancouver hotels...I am one of the few exceptions. While I native Vancouverite and lived in the city for 50 years. Through the business I was in I have seen rooms in most downtown hotels over the years. I now live an hour up the coast so when I need to stay in the city I use Hotwire and Priceline. That Hotwire rate for a 4* is a full $20 less than I have seen a 4* offering in ages, the best we saw last season was $135 and frankly if it were me I would grab it but candidly I don't know which of several dozen 4* hotels it is, the area is good.

I am not going to spend anymore time defending the advice I have provided you this morning but would suggest that you don't want to book a hotel in Hotwire or Priceline under 4* in the "Entertainment Disrtict" that is where is can be a bit seedy and rowdy at night.

I hope you enjoy Vancouver and your cruise.

Wow, defend yourself? I wasn't attacking you. I came to a board about a city I have never been too, hoping to find out what to expect. I asked do any of the hotels have airport pick up, do any have transport. I did not say I need them to be under $100, to stay in my budget (I said I hoped to). I had no idea since I have never been there before. I thought I would then be answered by people in the know, if my expectations would be good ones. I've never been in your city. I've been in plenty of others in the US and overseas, and on lots of other boards where someone might say, no, sorry, but, here are some suggestions for a bit more than that. I did mention I found one for $104 which I found by a search on this board, posted by others that stayed there. You did let me know that was not in the downtown area and I appreciate that. I didn't say my budget would only allow $100..I said I hoped to stay under a $100. You pointed out staying under $200 was a challenge. I didn't understand that since I had seen several people quote lower prices..I just wasn't sure where they were. What I asked, was:

From there, we need to get a hotel, hopefully from walking distance to a HOHO to sight see. Do any of the hotels have airport pick up (assuming thats where the bus or train from SEA drops us), and then once at our hotel, do any of them have transport to the dock (Princess)? Not fussy about the hotel (hope to stay under $100 a night), other than we'd like it to be in an area we feel comfortable walking around.

"

Perhaps others who have bid on Priceline or hotwire, would be kind enough to mentions what hotels are usually given when bidding in certain areas. I assume there are people on this board that have cruised from the area before, do stay in the Vancouver area hotels, since as you mentioned, most Vancouver people do not. I assume, just like many of us know which hotels you may 'win' in San Pedro, there are usual ones won in the Vancouver area that are preferred. Obviously I'm not going to get one under $100, but it does look like I could get one for $114, which isn't that much different...but again, I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on which hotel it might be. Thank you.

Why, you indicated you had a $100 budget, wanted a hotel with a shuttle and wanted to be close to HOHO stops and were looking out at the airport..I thought the budget was the most important factor in the equation and was trying to be sensitive to that. Vancouver is not San Pedro, San Pedro has 2 hotels that cruisers tend to stay in...the Crowne Plaza and the Double Tree both I have stayed in using Priceline and Hotwire and have paid as little as $65. Vancouver has more than 100 hotels.

Vancouver people don't stay in Vancouver hotels...I am one of the few exceptions. While I native Vancouverite and lived in the city for 50 years. Through the business I was in I have seen rooms in most downtown hotels over the years. I now live an hour up the coast so when I need to stay in the city I use Hotwire and Priceline. That Hotwire rate for a 4* is a full $20 less than I have seen a 4* offering in ages, the best we saw last season was $135 and frankly if it were me I would grab it but candidly I don't know which of several dozen 4* hotels it is, the area is good.

I am not going to spend anymore time defending the advice I have provided you this morning but would suggest that you don't want to book a hotel in Hotwire or Priceline under 4* in the "Entertainment Disrtict" that is where is can be a bit seedy and rowdy at night.

I hope you enjoy Vancouver and your cruise.

Edited by DMRick

Wow, defend yourself? I wasn't attacking you. I came to a board about a city I have never been too, hoping to find out what to expect. I asked do any of the hotels have airport pick up, do any have transport. I did not say I need them to be under $100, to stay in my budget (I said I hoped to). I had no idea since I have never been there before. I thought I would then be answered by people in the know, if my expectations would be good ones. I've never been in your city. I've been in plenty of others in the US and overseas, and on lots of other boards where someone might say, no, sorry, but, here are some suggestions for a bit more than that. I did mention I found one for $104 which I found by a search on this board, posted by others that stayed there. You did let me know that was not in the downtown area and I appreciate that. I didn't say my budget would only allow $100..I said I hoped to stay under a $100. You pointed out staying under $200 was a challenge. I didn't understand that since I had seen several people quote lower prices..I just wasn't sure where they were. What I asked, was:"

Perhaps others who have bid on Priceline or hotwire, would be kind enough to mentions what hotels are usually given when bidding in certain areas. I assume there are people on this board that have cruised from the area before, do stay in the Vancouver area hotels, since as you mentioned, most Vancouver people do not. I assume, just like many of us know which hotels you may 'win' in San Pedro, there are usual ones won in the Vancouver area that are preferred. Obviously I'm not going to get one under $100, but it does look like I could get one for $114, which isn't that much different...but again, I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on which hotel it might be. Thank you.

Metro Vancouver is a quite large city. In a nutshell the area you want is 'downtown', which when you look at a map is a small penisula (look for Granville & Georgia streets for the rough centre of downtown). The YVR airport is located about 10km south of downtown near the municipality of Richmond. Airport hotels may have a free airport shuttle, and downtown hotels may have a free Canada Place (cruise terminal) shuttle, but I'm not aware of any that have both. As for getting from the airport to downtown, there is a skytrain [subway] line called the Canada Line which runs from Airport to Waterfront station, 3 blocks from Canada Place. It's all designed for roll on roll off, and has escalators and elevators, and is the fastest and least expensive way of getting between the two areas.

As for hotels, the YWCAHotel is not the ickiness you're implying here, it's clean safe location, and the price is inexpensive. http://www.ywcahotel.com/ reviews on travel websites consistently give a high score.

Lastly, you can get information on Amtrak's luggage policy here. http://www.amtrakcascades.com/Baggage.htm Note the ViaRail [Amtrak] station is about 2km east of downtown, at the corner of Main and Terminal.

This map will help you get your orientation, showing everything I've talked about:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212770407613531027445.000467645fcda21dd87b2&msa=0&ll=49.275085,-123.097&spn=0.041999,0.111494

Thank you very much for all the info. Hopefully I picked well, on Hotwire. I got the Hyatt Regency Vancouver for $129 a night plus tax. I understand the Y may be very nice, but it's pricing is not inexpensive. For our nights it was $120 (sr rate) plus tax. I do have to admit it sounds much nicer than the Y in my area. It's just not a place usually suggested when someone is looking for a hotel on cruisecritic LOL!

Wonderful to hear about the roll on roll off..a far cry difference from many other cities.

I asked about getting from the airport because I didn't know when we take the train in from Seattle, where it brings you. Do you know if it will be near our hotel on Burrard St?

Metro Vancouver is a quite large city. In a nutshell the area you want is 'downtown', which when you look at a map is a small penisula (look for Granville & Georgia streets for the rough centre of downtown). The YVR airport is located about 10km south of downtown near the municipality of Richmond. Airport hotels may have a free airport shuttle, and downtown hotels may have a free Canada Place (cruise terminal) shuttle, but I'm not aware of any that have both. As for getting from the airport to downtown, there is a skytrain [subway] line called the Canada Line which runs from Airport to Waterfront station, 3 blocks from Canada Place. It's all designed for roll on roll off, and has escalators and elevators, and is the fastest and least expensive way of getting between the two areas.

As for hotels, the YWCAHotel is not the ickiness you're implying here, it's clean safe location, and the price is inexpensive. http://www.ywcahotel.com/ reviews on travel websites consistently give a high score.

Lastly, you can get information on Amtrak's luggage policy here. http://www.amtrakcascades.com/Baggage.htm Note the ViaRail [Amtrak] station is about 2km east of downtown, at the corner of Main and Terminal.

This map will help you get your orientation, showing everything I've talked about:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212770407613531027445.000467645fcda21dd87b2&msa=0&ll=49.275085,-123.097&spn=0.041999,0.111494

I know that Priority Baggage is not good about returning emails so I have phoned them. Yes, they have confirmed that they will hold checked luggage at Canada Place overnight.

Thank you. I should have just sent you an email directly. I've been reading this board off and on. Looks like I have the best deal possible for my one night stay in Vancouver. Returning to the Sheraton Wall Center for points and cash. Do you know anything about the South Tower? I stayed in the North Tower the last time. It is a bit of a walk, but if the weather is nice (and I don't have to schlep my luggage, then this might be the way to go. I know that I can take the skytrain, but would still have lots of blocks to walk. Is there a bus that goes up Burrard Street from Canada Place?

Renee

I will try and answer your Amtrak questions as I use them a lot since I don't fly.

No checked baggage means you have to carry your luggage to the train with you - there is no baggage car on the Amtrak Cascade - there is an area as you board your coach or business class car where you can put your luggage if it is too large or bulky to take to your seat - these racks are located on each car.

The Amtrak station in Vancouver is called Pacific Central station - it is a multi-modal facility for trains and buses for Vancouver - across the street from the station is the Main Street/Science World Skytrain or rapid transit station - from there you are three stops to Burrard Station which is adjacent to the Hyatt Regency hotel - the fare is $2.75 per person or $1.75 for seniors over 65. Depending when you are planning on use the system it can be very busy and getting on with luggage could be a bit of a challenge. If you are at all concerned it is about $15.00 by taxi from the station to your hotel.

There are renovations going on at that station which has closed off some of the entrances - perhaps ScottBee can update about which one is opened as I don't ride the system on a regular basis.

The Hyatt is located just about in the center of the downtown - you are two blocks to our large Pacific Center shopping complex - 7 or 8 short down hill blocks to the cruise ship terminal - close to the shopping on Robson - our version of Rodeo Drive or Newbury Street - great restaurants etc. There is a food court in the small mall adjacent to the hotel including a 24 hours Mcdonalds and Tim Horton's the Canadian counterpart of Dunkin Donuts.

That is a good price for a great location hotel.

I didn't see it mentioned in scanning through your recent posts but are you aware of http://www.betterbidding.com - I have found it useful in getting some good tips on which hotels are which on Hotwire.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions and hope you enjoy our great city and that you have a treat cruise.

Cheers

Dennis

ScottBee can correct me but I don't think there is a direct bus from Canada Place to your hotel - I believe you will need to either walk to Pender and catch the #22 or take the Skytrain from Waterfront station - get off at Burrard station and then transfer to #22 bus.

If the weather is bad for less than $10.00 a taxi should get you to the hotel.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you so much.. Great info. I did go to better bidding as well and did put a Priceline bid in and lost so I went via Hotwire. I did find a place that gives which Hotwire hotels you might get so that was good. I also bid on a three star for a hotel for one night between cruises.. If I had spent mire time on trip advisor I would have booked it direct and done just about as good since Hotwire overcharges the tax. I guess I should have just gone there but it's daunting when first starting IMO. Thank you again. Doris

I will try and answer your Amtrak questions as I use them a lot since I don't fly.

No checked baggage means you have to carry your luggage to the train with you - there is no baggage car on the Amtrak Cascade - there is an area as you board your coach or business class car where you can put your luggage if it is too large or bulky to take to your seat - these racks are located on each car.

The Amtrak station in Vancouver is called Pacific Central station - it is a multi-modal facility for trains and buses for Vancouver - across the street from the station is the Main Street/Science World Skytrain or rapid transit station - from there you are three stops to Burrard Station which is adjacent to the Hyatt Regency hotel - the fare is $2.75 per person or $1.75 for seniors over 65. Depending when you are planning on use the system it can be very busy and getting on with luggage could be a bit of a challenge. If you are at all concerned it is about $15.00 by taxi from the station to your hotel.

There are renovations going on at that station which has closed off some of the entrances - perhaps ScottBee can update about which one is opened as I don't ride the system on a regular basis.

The Hyatt is located just about in the center of the downtown - you are two blocks to our large Pacific Center shopping complex - 7 or 8 short down hill blocks to the cruise ship terminal - close to the shopping on Robson - our version of Rodeo Drive or Newbury Street - great restaurants etc. There is a food court in the small mall adjacent to the hotel including a 24 hours Mcdonalds and Tim Horton's the Canadian counterpart of Dunkin Donuts.

That is a good price for a great location hotel.

I didn't see it mentioned in scanning through your recent posts but are you aware of http://www.betterbidding.com - I have found it useful in getting some good tips on which hotels are which on Hotwire.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions and hope you enjoy our great city and that you have a treat cruise.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by DMRick
iPod has bad spelling lol

Thank you. I should have just sent you an email directly. I've been reading this board off and on. Looks like I have the best deal possible for my one night stay in Vancouver. Returning to the Sheraton Wall Center for points and cash. Do you know anything about the South Tower? I stayed in the North Tower the last time. It is a bit of a walk, but if the weather is nice (and I don't have to schlep my luggage, then this might be the way to go. I know that I can take the skytrain, but would still have lots of blocks to walk. Is there a bus that goes up Burrard Street from Canada Place?

Renee

If I had a choice I would opt for a north facing room in the north tower ... second choice would be a north/east facing room in the south tower and as high as possible.

ScottBee can correct me but I don't think there is a direct bus from Canada Place to your hotel - I believe you will need to either walk to Pender and catch the #22 or take the Skytrain from Waterfront station - get off at Burrard station and then transfer to #22 bus.

If the weather is bad for less than $10.00 a taxi should get you to the hotel.

Cheers

Dennis

There are no transit buses that go right in front of Canada Place. You will need to walk a couple of blocks to catch a bus or take the skytrain (either to Pender Street or Cordova/Granville). The Hyatt is right across the street from the Burrard Skytrain Station so if you opt for skytrain, there is no need to transfer to the #22 bus as Urban trekker noted above. Hyatt is in a great location and they've recently updated it. You got it for a good price.

Renee

I should add that there is no bus from Canada Place but if you walk up to Waterfront Station you can catch a #44 bus that will get you to the hotel.

Just 6 more days and we will be in Vancouver. great can hardly wait. I do have a few more questions. We plan to purchase the Fair Saver Book at the 7/11when we arrive at the airport, Is this still a good thing because my wife and I are both seniors. and I understand the fairs are less for seniors.

One other question we are staying at the Marriott Pinnacle on Hastings, we are going to be tired after a long flight, can anybody recommend a restaurant close to the hotel. Seafood is good, A lot of people seem to like Cardraroes or something like that. Would that be a far walk ?

Cardero's is a wonderful place to eat, especially seafood.

The walk from the Mariott on Hastings is roughly 10 minutes on an easy pace. To get there from Hastings, walk towards the water and you will find the seawall, from there turn left and walk along it until you hit Carderos. Can't miss it, very easy to get to. You might want to phone ahead and make reservations as they can get quite busy at times, and request a table by the window.

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to all the regular Vancouver posters here. Great advice and suggestions. You answer the same questions over and over with great patience, and it is appreciated.

We loved Vancouver in our two days pre-cruise at the end of April. Pan Pacific was a great hotel, harbor view definitely worth the extra $30! Got a very small taste of Stanley Park, got to see the Olympic Torch lit for a charity event.

Steamworks for lunch and Carderos for dinner, would recommend both.

Hope to return to Vancouver some day!

Just 6 more days and we will be in Vancouver. great can hardly wait. I do have a few more questions. We plan to purchase the Fair Saver Book at the 7/11when we arrive at the airport, Is this still a good thing because my wife and I are both seniors. and I understand the fairs are less for seniors.

One other question we are staying at the Marriott Pinnacle on Hastings, we are going to be tired after a long flight, can anybody recommend a restaurant close to the hotel. Seafood is good, A lot of people seem to like Cardraroes or something like that. Would that be a far walk ?

With the FareSaver tickets there is no concession or "seniors fare" booklet for the 2 zones but you are a few dollars ahead by purchasing the 1 zone concession fare and adding the $1 "add fare" and if your intend to use transit for any more that going from and to YVR then you are way ahead of the game.

Cardero's is a great restaurant, rather an upscale marine pub and certainly one of my favourites (can be a tad noisy at times). Something a little closer to the hotel with some seafood on their menu is Mahoney & Sons on the water at the Convention Center. Another super seafood restaurant is Joe Fortes which is about a 4/5 block walk from your hotel.

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to all the regular Vancouver posters here. Great advice and suggestions. You answer the same questions over and over with great patience, and it is appreciated.

We loved Vancouver in our two days pre-cruise at the end of April. Pan Pacific was a great hotel, harbor view definitely worth the extra $30! Got a very small taste of Stanley Park, got to see the Olympic Torch lit for a charity event.

Steamworks for lunch and Carderos for dinner, would recommend both.

Hope to return to Vancouver some day!

Thanks...when it raining we don't have a lot else to do.:D

We would love to welcome you back anytime.:)

Edited by Putterdude

As a local thanks for the kind words - "when it raining we don't have a lot else to do' - true if you spend the winter months on the wet west coast and not in the sunny confines of the desert southwest.

Cheers all!

Dennis

Thanks...when it raining we don't have a lot else to do.:D

We would love to welcome you back anytime.:)

Well, it was raining when we arrived, but the sun was shining beautifully the next two days! And I've never seen bigger tulips than those in Vancouver!

Is the Sandman near the airport close to any of the Skytrain stops? Or should I take their free shuttle back to the airport in teh morning and catch it there? I got the Sandman thru Hotwire for about $75 including taxes so it seems like a good deal for a short stay pre-cruise with a late night arrival

Is the Sandman near the airport close to any of the Skytrain stops? Or should I take their free shuttle back to the airport in teh morning and catch it there? I got the Sandman thru Hotwire for about $75 including taxes so it seems like a good deal for a short stay pre-cruise with a late night arrival

Are you staying at the Sandman at 3233 St Edwards Drive or Sandman Signature at 10251 St Edwards Drive? The Sandman is about a 10-15 minute walk to the Bridgeport Station or you could catch the #407 westbound bus on Bridgeport (stop is in front of the Tim Horton's across the street) as it makes a stop at the station. The Sandman Signature is a bit further, not much. Either hotel is about a 5 minute cab ride to the station.

You could always ask the shuttle driver if he would drop you off at the station instead of taking you back to the airport. By catching the train at the Bridgeport Station instead of the airport, you would be saving yourself the add-on fee they charge.

Edited by Tweedy