Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Are you staying at the Sandman at 3233 St Edwards Drive or Sandman Signature at 10251 St Edwards Drive?

You could always ask the shuttle driver if he would drop you off at the station instead of taking you back to the airport. By catching the train at the Bridgeport Station instead of the airport, you would be saving yourself the add-on fee they charge.

I'm at the 10251 St. Edwards Drive location. I was hoping exactly what you suggest, that the shuttle driver drop me off

Hi: We will be staying at the Georgian Court Hotel (773 Beatty St,) for one night before our cruise...Just a quick question for the Vancouverite! Is this hotel in a safe neighborhood and are there any family type restaurants within walking distance? We will have our two grandsons with us (ages 6 and 10) so we are looking for something not too fancy...Thanks a lot!

Steve

Georgian Court is all safe but very boring. The Sandman around the corner may have a family-style restaurant. Otherwise you can walk up Robson Street to see what catches your fancy. Folks up here are not into white bread food as much as the bulk of the U.S. is. You have to go to the 'burbs for that. One nearby possibility I can think of is the White Spot at Georgia and Seymour (if it is still there).

Hi: We will be staying at the Georgian Court Hotel (773 Beatty St,) for one night before our cruise...Just a quick question for the Vancouverite! Is this hotel in a safe neighborhood and are there any family type restaurants within walking distance? We will have our two grandsons with us (ages 6 and 10) so we are looking for something not too fancy...Thanks a lot!

Steve

The Georgian Court is a great hotel in a very safe area. It is across the street from BC Place Stadium, the home of our CFL BC Lions, so if you happen to be there on a night they are playing it may be a bit noisy pre and post game. Their is a Moxie's Grill around the corner on Georgia St., a McDonalds just down the street in Library Square and there is Rosie's on Robson a couple of blocks down the street....while a bit of a pub environment they do cater to families. The White Spot was demolished the best part of a year ago to make way for the Telus expansion.

Georgian Court is all safe but very boring. The Sandman around the corner may have a family-style restaurant. Otherwise you can walk up Robson Street to see what catches your fancy. Folks up here are not into white bread food as much as the bulk of the U.S. is. You have to go to the 'burbs for that. One nearby possibility I can think of is the White Spot at Georgia and Seymour (if it is still there).

Moxie's in the Sandman is probably the best choice for North American fare nearby. Exit the hotel, turn left walk ½block to Georgia, turn left again, and Moxie's is ½ block up the street door surrounded by yellow lights.

Other option is head ½ block to the right to "Back 40" which is a BBQ joint kind of pup style, or ½ block to your right, right on Robson and a few blocks up (on the far side of the street) is another BBQ joint called "Memphis Blues"

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to all the regular Vancouver posters here. Great advice and suggestions. You answer the same questions over and over with great patience, and it is appreciated.

We loved Vancouver in our two days pre-cruise at the end of April. Pan Pacific was a great hotel, harbor view definitely worth the extra $30! Got a very small taste of Stanley Park, got to see the Olympic Torch lit for a charity event.

Steamworks for lunch and Carderos for dinner, would recommend both.

Hope to return to Vancouver some day!

Did your room at the Pan Pacific have a view of the harbour towards the Convention Centre and Coal Harbour?

PD - another update for you - the McDonalds in Library Square is long gone - replaced by a newer one a block away where the updated CBC complex is.

Also I am told that the Golden Arches in the train station is also no more - apparently going to be replaced by an iconic Canadian institution - best guess on that one is Tim Horton's - will be down there in a week or two to pick up Amtrak tickets for my fall cruise and will see what I can find out.

Cheers

Dennis

Did your room at the Pan Pacific have a view of the harbour towards the Convention Centre and Coal Harbour?

Yes, we overlooked the West Convention Centre with the grass roof, and the float plane docks. Crystal Symphony docked just below our window. Of course, we were on Carnival Miracle, which docked on the other side, but we got to watch both come into port.

Hi, I don't know if this has been answered somewhere in these 200 pages (but I think not :) ). Also, restaurants change and move all the time so I'm looking for current info. We will be in Vancouver at the end of August and will have a full Saturday to explore the city before our cruise leaves on Sunday. Hubby has to eat gluten free. I've tried googling but I'm still wondering if I'm missing something only a Vancouverite would know about. We are staying at the Sutton Place and will be doing the HOHO trolley during the day. Do you know of any GF friendly places for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Sometimes hubby gets stuck with eating a dry salad with no croutons because everything has breading or floury dressings and sauces. Just wondering if there are any places in the area we'll be in, or passing by on the HOHO, that would cater to celiacs, etc.

Hi, I don't know if this has been answered somewhere in these 200 pages (but I think not :) ).

No, I don't recall the question ever being asked and I have no personal experience in this regard. However here is a link to a listing of restaurants in the downtown area the profess to be "gluten friendly".

http://www.urbanspoon.com/tn/14/1/1304/Vancouver/Gluten-Free-Friendly/Downtown-Vancouver-restaurants

I have been using Google Street View to take virtual "walks" around our hotel area...Located several potential "easy" food places...(Subway, Starbucks, Back 40, a couple of pizza joints, etc)...Really a cool way to check out an area...Followed the route from the Skytrain station to our hotel also...Has great views of the areas around Canada Place...

Steve

In looking at the list Joey's Burrard is across the street from the Sutton Place - pretty sure they don't serve breakfast but lunch and dinner for sure.

I thought I saw somewhere that Subway has some gluten free items - if that is the case there is one across the street next to Joey's.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks everyone. I just realized that my previous post looks like it's directed at everyone. :) I meant it for the person who suggested the Wallflower in particular (which I admit did look intriguing to me, but I'm not sure how out of the way it is). I will also try the other suggestions listed here.

Yes, we overlooked the West Convention Centre with the grass roof, and the float plane docks. Crystal Symphony docked just below our window. Of course, we were on Carnival Miracle, which docked on the other side, but we got to watch both come into port.

Thanks for your reply.

That is the view we wish to see from the hotel room and see the HAL Volendam dock.

Do you recall what type of hotel room your booked to have that view from your room?

Thanks for your reply.

That is the view we wish to see from the hotel room and see the HAL Volendam dock.

Do you recall what type of hotel room your booked to have that view from your room?

Room category was King Harbor View. But there are two sides to the pier, so you'll need to find out, if you can, which side your ship will dock on, then request a room facing that side.

Happy cruising!

We arrive in Vancouver at 11am the day before our late June cruise. We have a reservation that we can cancel at the Best Western Sands hotel. We wanted a room for 4 adults but the second party will not arrive till midnight. The Sands was one of only a few places that would allow 4 adults and we didn't want to spend a lot of $$ for a few hours sleep.

Any other Hotel recomendations?

What kind of area is the Sands in?

We wanted to spend the afternoon in Stanly Park, can we walk there and catch the park suttle?

Can the 4 of us take one cab to the port?

We want to check our luggage at the port and walk to Gastown for a couple of hours in the morning, will that work?

Thanks

We arrive in Vancouver at 11am the day before our late June cruise. We have a reservation that we can cancel at the Best Western Sands hotel. We wanted a room for 4 adults but the second party will not arrive till midnight. The Sands was one of only a few places that would allow 4 adults and we didn't want to spend a lot of $$ for a few hours sleep.

Any other Hotel recomendations?

What kind of area is the Sands in?

We wanted to spend the afternoon in Stanly Park, can we walk there and catch the park suttle?

Can the 4 of us take one cab to the port?

We want to check our luggage at the port and walk to Gastown for a couple of hours in the morning, will that work?

Thanks

Sorry without making a lot of phone calls I have no idea what other hotels may allow 4 adults in the same room. But you could try the Coast Palza and the Times Square Hotel and suites.

The Sands is in a high density residential area, it is safe.

The hotel is about 3 blocks from the park and about 5 blocks to a shuttle stop.

Our cab fleet is Prius in size but will hold 4 average sized adults and a reasonable amount of luggage otherwise I would request a mini-van cab when you call for a cab.

The porters will start accepting luggage at Canada Place about 0930.

Thanks Kamloops50 for mentioning that the White spot has GF available - I was at one last night and noticed it on the menu and was going to post it here but you beat me to it.

Cheers

Dennis

Re: the Sands - if you are a beach person and the weather is sunny and warm you are basically across the street from English Bay - one of our popular downtown beaches.

There are lots of eateries - from the Golden Arches, Starbucks, Tim Horton's, to more upscale places like Milestones, The Boathouse, Cactus Club and a large Safeway grocery store and late night government liquor store as well as a London Drugs - like CVS -all within a couple of blocks.

Enjoy your visit

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

Room category was King Harbor View. But there are two sides to the pier, so you'll need to find out, if you can, which side your ship will dock on, then request a room facing that side.

Happy cruising!

Thanks for your reply.

I understand we need the view to the Convention Centre with the grass roof.

Thanks for your reply.

I understand we need the view to the Convention Centre with the grass roof.

This link will show which side your ship is scheduled to dock on. West & North docks are looking toward the convention centre, East dock looks toward the Seabus and commercial port.

http://portmetrovancouver.com/en/ShowFile.aspx?VesselName=

This link will show which side your ship is scheduled to dock on. West & North docks are looking toward the convention centre, East dock looks toward the Seabus and commercial port.

http://portmetrovancouver.com/en/ShowFile.aspx?VesselName=

Really appreciate you posting this link.

Yes, Volendam will berth on the West side.

Thank you.:)