Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Hi,

The gang are looking at places for a dinner the night we arrive... thought the menu at Steamworks Brewing Pub had enough variety to please everyone (+ beer ;)),

Is this a good choice? We are staying at the Blue Horizon Hotel.... is the restaurant in walking distance :confused: or SkyTrain or taxi?

We are certainly open to any other ideas on places to eat.

Thanks!

Since you are staying at the Blue Horizon, there are plenty of restaurants that are closer then Steamworks right along Robson Street. One of my favourites is Milestones which is only a block away from the Blue Horizon. There is also Joe Fortes (if you like seafood) or Earl's in the same block. Across the street from Milestones is Cactus Club. These are just a couple of options.

I should add that yes, Steamworks is walkable (15-20 min) from your hotel and a taxi would get you there faster.

Edited by Tweedy

Hi,

Any suggestions in the Vancouver or surrounding areas where we could take an coastal hike with tidepools, seacaves, arches and such?

Ut is quite correct about where you are going to need to go to find all of this....but if you just want a walk on a rocky beach where you are going to find tide pools and the sea life that goes with that you can walk on beach from Brockton Point to Prospect Point at a low tide in Stanley Park ... but no sea caves and arches...well I suppose Siwash Rock would provide a little of what you are looking for.

http://robirda.com/legends/siwash.html

Ugh...I talked to my mom, and L'Hermitage may not work for her because she and my aunt don't want to share a king bed. :(

I still want to move closer to Canada Place, even if I won't have laundry. I'm looking at The Metropolitan, the Le Soleil, and the Traditions Club. All three of those look like places I could get rooms for $250ish/night. Mom, DH, & I can all roll with the punches, but my aunt can be "particular." Your thoughts on those hotels? Thank you!

I like all 3 of these hotels but the Met and LeSoleil are a bit dwarfed by the tall buildings around them...however they tend to be a little closer to many of the sights or the city. The Tower at the Terminal City Club would be my pick, close to Canada Place, has views of the Canada Place, the harbour and the North Shore Mountains....which is what Vancouver is all about...plus as a guest in the tower you can eat in my old club.

Hi,

The gang are looking at places for a dinner the night we arrive... thought the menu at Steamworks Brewing Pub had enough variety to please everyone (+ beer ;)),

Is this a good choice? We are staying at the Blue Horizon Hotel.... is the restaurant in walking distance :confused: or SkyTrain or taxi?

We are certainly open to any other ideas on places to eat.

Thanks!

Tweedy is correct it is a bit of a hike to Steamworks and a taxi will be about $10 each way...SkyTrain would also require some walking and really isn't a good answer. The Fog and Suds would satisfy the need of a pub, Red Robin is nearby as is the Keg Steakhouse.

I like all 3 of these hotels but the Met and LeSoleil are a bit dwarfed by the tall buildings around them...however they tend to be a little closer to many of the sights or the city. The Tower at the Terminal City Club would be my pick, close to Canada Place, has views of the Canada Place, the harbour and the North Shore Mountains....which is what Vancouver is all about...plus as a guest in the tower you can eat in my old club.

You've been really helpful! I ended up booking two concierge level rooms at the Delta Suites, which wasn't even on my radar a couple days ago!:rolleyes: I decided I was really overanalyzing things for a one-night stay!:o The price was right, breakfast will be included, I like the location, and it's hard to find something with a living area that has two double or queen beds. If it was just me & my husband and a longer stay I would probably go for a boutique hotel, but since my aunt will be with us I need to think differently!

The bonus? My husband and I will be up in Whistler before we get to Vancouver, and we need to drop off a Thrifty rental car at the downtown location...*right* by the hotel!:D

I'm looking around for dinner ideas now...preferably within a 1/2 mile walk -- even at that I'm not sure my aunt can do it and we may have to get a cab.

Any comments on these?

L’Abattoir

Hawksworth

Diva

Q4 al Centro

We like seafood, but not sushi, so that eliminates some places. Other recommendations?

I'm looking around for dinner ideas now...preferably within a 1/2 mile walk -- even at that I'm not sure my aunt can do it and we may have to get a cab.

Any comments on these?

L’Abattoir

Hawksworth

Diva

Q4 al Centro

We like seafood, but not sushi, so that eliminates some places. Other recommendations?

Just a block away is Steamworks, 5 minute walk max. There is also the Water Street Cafe which is also very close to the hotel, no more then 10 minute walk.

Any comments on these?

L’Abattoir

Hawksworth

Diva

Q4 al Centro

First off good call on the Delta Suites...kind of a sleeper, so to speak but I am sure that you will enjoy.

As for restaurants...you are not being fair...normally we make the suggestions and you choose.;) The selection of a restaurant is a bit subjective but I would probably go with L'Abattoir just to have something out of the ordinary. Tweedy's idea of the Water St. Café is good and I always enjoy it. Once in a cab you are opening up a whole new array of restaurants two that I would suggest would be the Lift and Joe Fortes for seafood...I would throw in Cardero's but your aunt may find it just a bit noisy.

9 of us are taking the Seattle to Vancouver train later in the month. Is there a place in the Vancouver Amtrak station to buy the faresaver book to use to get us to the cruise port?

There is a convenience store on the ground level of the Main St. station across the street from Pacific Central Station which Amtrak uses that is authorized to sell the FareSaver books but it has been reported lately that they are often out of stock. Other than that location...its the cash fare.

I have written down so many helpful hints from this thread; thank you!! I have two transportation questions.

4 of us arrive on a Sunday when I understand it costs only a one-zone ticket to go anywhere on the SkyTrain. We are considering buying the FareSaver book of 10 one-zone tickets (senior price, $17.50).

We would use 4 to get from the airport to Yaletown. Our hotel is at Drake/Howe (Quality Hotel VC, Inn at False Creek). Since we'll have luggage, we'll likely get the C23 Davie bus from Yaletown to our hotel. That would use 4 more tickets. Am I figuring correctly so far?

That afternoon, we will go to Granville Island. The AquaBus is not included in the FareSaver coupons, correct? Should we purchase the 20 ticket strip for $22? By that afternoon, there will be 5 of us. We would use 10 tickets, r/t, correct? That sounds better than $5.50 each r/t. And then we could give away the remainder of the tickets.

On Monday, the plan is to drop off luggage at the pier (for Norwegian) early and then see Gastown and walk the waterfront path to Stanley Park.

Could we use the FareSaver tickets for the bus to the pier? That will be a Monday, so would riders frown on our bringing aboard our luggage? If we use the bus this morning, we're now looking at two FareSaver packets of 10.

We are all good walkers, but would we need the bus or other transportation after dropping off luggage? If we end up exhausted from walking a few miles into Stanley Park, can we get a bus back to the pier?

A lot of questions, I know, but I have tried to be succinct. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Debbie

I have written down so many helpful hints from this thread; thank you!! I have two transportation questions.

4 of us arrive on a Sunday when I understand it costs only a one-zone ticket to go anywhere on the SkyTrain. We are considering buying the FareSaver book of 10 one-zone tickets (senior price, $17.50).

We would use 4 to get from the airport to Yaletown. Our hotel is at Drake/Howe (Quality Hotel VC, Inn at False Creek). Since we'll have luggage, we'll likely get the C23 Davie bus from Yaletown to our hotel. That would use 4 more tickets. Am I figuring correctly so far?

You can actually use the same 4 tickets. Transit tickets in metro Vancouver are good for 90 minutes once validated (do so in the silver box by the ticket machines at the airport). Once that ticket is validated, putting it back into a validation machine (like the ones on the buses) just shows that it's OK. So just 4 tickets for Skytrain+bus for getting to your hotel. Lastly the word you want to use when you buy them is 'concession' (aka senions/students) book of one-zone tickets.

That afternoon, we will go to Granville Island. The AquaBus is not included in the FareSaver coupons, correct? Should we purchase the 20 ticket strip for $22? By that afternoon, there will be 5 of us. We would use 10 tickets, r/t, correct? That sounds better than $5.50 each r/t. And then we could give away the remainder of the tickets.

Likely the strip of 20 makes the most sense for you. As you already understand, Aquabus is not part of the integrated transit system, so the Faresaver transit tickets aren't good on Aquabus. I'm not sure about sharing the strip, but it's easy enough to ask about when you get there.

On Monday, the plan is to drop off luggage at the pier (for Norwegian) early and then see Gastown and walk the waterfront path to Stanley Park.

Could we use the FareSaver tickets for the bus to the pier? That will be a Monday, so would riders frown on our bringing aboard our luggage? If we use the bus this morning, we're now looking at two FareSaver packets of 10.

Yes you can; you'll still have some left....

If you have any other questions, please ask. There are a few locals here that either live or work downtown, and use the transit system all the time.

Many thanks, Scottbee! I will remember to say "concession"! And I knew about the 90-minute time, but I thought that was for the same type transportation - i.e., take the bus; get off to pick up some groceries; get back on same bus line. So, this is excellent news that the same ticket will work all the way from the airport.

So, taking luggage on the bus Monday morning wouldn't be frowned upon?

First off good call on the Delta Suites...kind of a sleeper, so to speak but I am sure that you will enjoy.

As for restaurants...you are not being fair...normally we make the suggestions and you choose.;) The selection of a restaurant is a bit subjective but I would probably go with L'Abattoir just to have something out of the ordinary. Tweedy's idea of the Water St. Café is good and I always enjoy it. Once in a cab you are opening up a whole new array of restaurants two that I would suggest would be the Lift and Joe Fortes for seafood...I would throw in Cardero's but your aunt may find it just a bit noisy.

Sorry I'm not playing fair...I had already started doing some research!:) Since we're one of three ships going out on September 13th, I wanted to get reservations taken care of.

I love the look of L'Abattoir. It looks a little bit funky and definitely not something that you see on every corner! I already made a reservation!:D The only way that will change is if my mom thinks "someone":rolleyes: in our party might whine about the distance!:eek: If we don't go there, then I think we'll probably end up at the Water St. Café. According to Google Maps it is a 3 minute walk...there couldn't possibly be an objection to that, could there?:confused: Sigh...

If we don't go there, then I think we'll probably end up at the Water St. Café. According to Google Maps it is a 3 minute walk...there couldn't possibly be an objection to that, could there?:confused: Sigh...

Just don't tell her before hand that there is a slight uphill walk to get back to the hotel. You'll be going downhill to get there.

Sorry I'm not playing fair...I had already started doing some research!:) Since we're one of three ships going out on September 13th, I wanted to get reservations taken care of.

I love the look of L'Abattoir. It looks a little bit funky and definitely not something that you see on every corner! I already made a reservation!:D The only way that will change is if my mom thinks "someone":rolleyes: in our party might whine about the distance!:eek: If we don't go there, then I think we'll probably end up at the Water St. Café. According to Google Maps it is a 3 minute walk...there couldn't possibly be an objection to that, could there?:confused: Sigh...

Your initial shortlist was all rather out of the league of Water Street Cafe - not that WSC is bad, it's just much more 'middle of the road' in style. I'd pay for a taxi both ways to L'Abattoir instead and count it money well-spent, but if the mad aunt insists on walking and it has to be within a few minutes, Pourhouse is the next block down Water and House Guest is actually closer to you - both have a considerably more interesting menu and vastly superior cocktails to WSC.

And if you do manage to stick to L'Abattoir, do your tastebuds a huge favour - get at least one of your party to have the Sweetbreads and the Pork shoulder cooked in milk. They change most of the menu frequently, but these dishes are *always* on because the customers would rebel en masse if they went away... Also, ask for a table upstairs at the back - you can look out the original window into the conservatory below and get the benefit of natural light and people-watching without the loudness and annoying glare when sunny.

Many thanks, Scottbee! I will remember to say "concession"! And I knew about the 90-minute time, but I thought that was for the same type transportation - i.e., take the bus; get off to pick up some groceries; get back on same bus line. So, this is excellent news that the same ticket will work all the way from the airport.

Further to SB's note - you can split a strip of Aquabucks, we do it all the time. As to taking a bus with suitcases on a Monday - there are very few places you can put luggage on a bus, unlike the Canada Line Skytrain which was set up with suitcases in mind, so yes, regular bus riders will be somewhat miffed to climb over a big pile of suitcases - although being Canadian, you'll probably just have a lot of bad karma sent your way than get punched;-)

Since you're concession fare eligible, and have 5 people, I'll point out two things: one, that you don't actually save any money with Faresavers on a Concession ticket ($1.75 per ticket, vs. $1.75 cash fare...); and two, that a cab may actually cost you *less* than transit to get to the pier from your hotel - it's straight down Howe just 1 mile. Ask the hotel to call you a minivan cab so you can all fit in one, it'll be under $10 on the meter.

NB: the Faresavers do avoid the $5 airport surcharge, so they're worth getting for you - but I'd use leftover tickets to zip into Stanley Park on the #19 bus after dropping your bags so you can see a bit more during your morning. Then you can walk back along the Seawall, and if you have time wander down into Gastown.

There are tide pool areas near Horseshoe Bay just north of Vancouver but they are impacted by the urban density and boat traffic. For more undisturbed environments you do need to go over to the island as Dennis mentioned.

You'll find tide pools if you walk around Stanley Park. Keep in mind the tide has to be out.

We're arriving at YVR on a Tuesday and renting a car to head up to Whistler for a couple days. I had originally reserved a car from Budget, but I ran across all the stories about fraudulent damage charges and cancelled the reservation.

I'm looking at either a Thrifty or Hertz rental through AAA or an Avis rental through my insurance company (USAA). Have there been reports of any problems other than the widely publicized ones with Budget? I could get a car with Avis or Thrifty for about the same price, and Hertz is $30.00 more, however I'd rather pay a little more if that's what it takes to avoid problems at the end.

I'll be dropping the car off downtown on Thursday afternoon, so if Thrifty is reliable they are far and away the closest to my hotel (Delta Suites). I also have the option of leasing from Enterprise through my insurance company, and their downtown drop-off location looks quite convenient. Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Just don't tell her before hand that there is a slight uphill walk to get back to the hotel. You'll be going downhill to get there.

Your initial shortlist was all rather out of the league of Water Street Cafe - not that WSC is bad, it's just much more 'middle of the road' in style. I'd pay for a taxi both ways to L'Abattoir instead and count it money well-spent, but if the mad aunt insists on walking and it has to be within a few minutes, Pourhouse is the next block down Water and House Guest is actually closer to you - both have a considerably more interesting menu and vastly superior cocktails to WSC.

And if you do manage to stick to L'Abattoir, do your tastebuds a huge favour - get at least one of your party to have the Sweetbreads and the Pork shoulder cooked in milk. They change most of the menu frequently, but these dishes are *always* on because the customers would rebel en masse if they went away... Also, ask for a table upstairs at the back - you can look out the original window into the conservatory below and get the benefit of natural light and people-watching without the loudness and annoying glare when sunny.

I've kind of decided I'm having dinner at L'Abattoir...not sure about everybody else!;)

You'll be fine with luggage on the bus, as long as you don't do it between 7am-9am during rush hour. Just wait until 10:30ish and it'll be pretty quiet.

As for the multi-mode transportation, the 90 minutes is good on Skytrain (all three lines), all buses and Seabus (the passenger ferry to North Vancouver).

9 of us are taking the Seattle to Vancouver train later in the month. Is there a place in the Vancouver Amtrak station to buy the faresaver book to use to get us to the cruise port?

Absolutely. When you exit pacific Station, you'll see the Skytrain tracks ahead and slightly to your left. Cross the street toward them, and there's a little store under the tracks next to the Van City Savings branch that sells them .

We're arriving at YVR on a Tuesday and renting a car to head up to Whistler for a couple days. I had originally reserved a car from Budget, but I ran across all the stories about fraudulent damage charges and cancelled the reservation.

I'm looking at either a Thrifty or Hertz rental through AAA or an Avis rental through my insurance company (USAA). Have there been reports of any problems other than the widely publicized ones with Budget? I could get a car with Avis or Thrifty for about the same price, and Hertz is $30.00 more, however I'd rather pay a little more if that's what it takes to avoid problems at the end.

I'll be dropping the car off downtown on Thursday afternoon, so if Thrifty is reliable they are far and away the closest to my hotel (Delta Suites). I also have the option of leasing from Enterprise through my insurance company, and their downtown drop-off location looks quite convenient. Your thoughts?

Thanks!

All my career I rented Budget and never had a problem (I am not saying that what happened a year ago didn't happen but it was sensational and the media loves that) Avis was my back up. Hertz to me has always been the more expensive and Enterprise for a variety of reasons is at the bottom of my list. On occasion I have used Thrifty and if they are competitive, given their location relative to you hotel, I would go with them.

I'm going on my first cruise in decades, but knew enough to schedule arrival the day before, even if our sailing time is in the afternoon. That being said, I've heard Vancouver is a lovely city, and I was going to try to see some of it. Problem is, our embarkation day is on July 1, and there's going to be a huge party at Canada Place and Granville. Any suggestions on what to do that won't be packed or do we just give up and go straight to the ship?:confused:

I'm going on my first cruise in decades, but knew enough to schedule arrival the day before, even if our sailing time is in the afternoon. That being said, I've heard Vancouver is a lovely city, and I was going to try to see some of it. Problem is, our embarkation day is on July 1, and there's going to be a huge party at Canada Place and Granville. Any suggestions on what to do that won't be packed or do we just give up and go straight to the ship?:confused:

Regardless of the holiday and activities you will be able to move around the city easily and access to the Canada Place cruise terminal will be pretty easy as it is away from the activity area.

If you are interested, Land/Sea Tours offers and excellent tour on the morning of your cruise...they pick you and your luggage up at your hotel, do the excursion with you and then deliver you and your luggage back at Canada Place in plenty of time for your cruise.

http://www.vancouvertours.com/pre-cruise-vancouver-city-tour

We have a 6:30AM flight out of Vancouver.

After getting off the ship we plan to rent a car near the cruiseport and spend two days somewhere other than Vancouver. We will then return to Vancouver for two nights including the night before the early flight.

We can keep the car for the two days and return it at the airport or we can check into a hotel and return the car.

Is there any real advantage to having a car if all we plan in Vancouver is downtown, Stanley Park, and various touristy stuff. If we keep the car we will need to pay for parking pretty much everywhere we go plus overnight parking at a downtown hotel.

My thoughts are that the most efficient plan would be to check in at a hotel near the airport (Richmond) that has easy access to SkyTrain. We can then return the car and get back and forth on public transportation.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations (hotel near airport and Skytrain station)?

NOTE: It will be me, my wife, and two daughters (11, 15).

Edited by Rock_Dr