Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Hello everyone. We also have a hotel booked in Vancouver for our July cruise. We let our travel agent and RCCI pick the hotel and it is the Sutton Place. What restaurants are close to this hotel and not too high end? Also, we will have 1 day to explore Vancouver and I was thinking the trolley city tour type thing? Is the bus hop on hop off the same or better? We like the narrated tours. Thanks for your help.

Alanbarb;

This hotel is just fine, you are up on West Broadway which is its sub-business core onto its self. By cab you will be a short 10 mins from downtown and 15 to the cruise terminal. You will find any number of eateries on West Broadway, some good sushi bars, soome very good Chineese restaurants, an Earls which is a chain of casual eateries in Western Cananda. Broadway is a major transit artery so there are bus connections to all parts of the city. You likely won't experience the panhandlers that there is downtown. You are within a bolock of the Vancouver General Hospital which has a campus of about 3 X 6 blocks square.

Joanandjoe;

A home run to be sure. It is located on Burrard just north of Granville in the downtown business core. It should have every thing you like about Hyatt including good restaurants and if you don't like thiers then just walk south on Burrard (away from the mountains) twoards Robson and you will find all kinds of eateries. If you don't have much baggage and your ship is leaving from Canada Place you could even walk to the pier; otherwise its is a scant 5 mins by cab.

Travelngirl;

You also have hit a home run. As I recall it is a little smaller than the Hyatt Regency but in a location pretty much as I have described above for the Hyatt. It has been some years since I was in a rrom there but I am sure that you will be pleased. There are tons of eateries around and I am sure that someone else will come up with recommendations. The trolly would be a good way to see the city or Greyline, but check and see if Greyline is still operating in Vancouver, somehow I think they may have shut down their Vancouver or Victoria ops. When I have a moment I will check as well.

I found a good rate at Times Square. Is that a place where there is restaurants near by and things to do?

You will just love that location. It is about 6 to 8 blocks out of the downtown business core and on the north boundary of the West End which is Vancouver densest highrise residential neighbourhhood. Lots of shops and restaurants on Denman St. and even more on Robson St. Almost at the entrance to Stanely Park which is a must see. Lunch or dinner try Cardero's at 1583 Coal Harbour Quay, in the yacht basin, about a 5 min walk from the hotel. You will be a 10 to 15 min cab ride to the cruise terminal depending which one you are departing from. Enjoy, a great choice!!

Yes, it is the bad locations, that we would like to avoid. Some of the research I have done have brought me to the following:

Stay: Days Inn Downtown, 921 West Pender st.

Dinner, July 3: ?

Brunch, July 4: provided with hotel

Activities: one is to visit Caffe Artigiano on 740 West Hastings Street but would like some more.

What is this area of the city like and and do you know of the hotel or coffee shop that I have mentioned? Also, dinner for the night we all arrive. Something casual in the teen price range (per dish). And something to see or do on July 4. We will have 4 children (17, 13,12,8) 4 adults in their 40's and 1 adult in their 70's.

Thank you for your help.

I let Putterdude answer as he seems to know the answers

Thanks for all the local information. Is the Blue Horizon (where I am booked) and seems in a good location okay? Or have I been duped? I would like to be on Robson Street.

The Blue Horizon is a great location, and it is right on Robson in the heart of everything. IN fact walk a block east and you will be at Starbucks heaven, one on NE corner and one on SW corner. Great place to people watch.

Tons of restaurants, one of my favorite Thai restaurants is near there, the Thai House. Also absolutely love Joe Fortes which is on Thurlow, just north of Robson.

You are able to walk everywhere, but if necessary you can jump on the bus too.

Definately make your way down to Denman and walk to English Bay, (South - away from the mountains) - I always go to Cupcakes which is very close to Davie on the East side of Denman and grab a cupcake, ok maybe too and a coffee and sit at the beach and enjoy -- heck after the sugar high you can run back to your room.

The Horizon is an older hotel but they have rennovated and they have a great sports bar at ground level.

Here are some great websites:

Vancouver tourism, tons of info

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/visitors/

http://www.vancouver-bc.com/

Vancouver Island Tourist site

http://www.vancouverisland-bc.com/

Tickets Tonight site in case you want to see a show

http://www.ticketstonight.ca/ticketstonight/

Queen Elizabeth Park

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/parks/queenelizabeth/

Stanley Park

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/parks/stanley/

Info for Gay/Lesbian travellers

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/visitors/about_vancouver/gay-friendly_vancouver

To the people that I have suggested a Grayline tour to, sorry it does appear that Grayline has ceased operations in Vancouver. If you do a Google search for tour bus companies in Vancouver you will come up with 3 or 4 other operators with a variety of tours. I don't feel comfortable recommending one over another and would suggest that you choose the one with the right tour and price for you.

I would have to say of all the dinner cruises I've been on the dinner is not the greatest; however the sailing is. And Vancouver has one of the most beautiful harbours. Most cruises take you either around Stanley Park and into English Bay or some go up Burrard Inlet to Indian Arm. Both are very nice.

I can also highly recommend the Cannery Seafood restaurant, but you will need a reservation.

Firstly, I'd like to say that Vickie and Bernie will do a fine job answering questions, after all, they did help us all kick butt in the Movie Music trivia on the Sep Island Princess Sailing :-)

As for the Cannery, it's quite wonderful, but awkward to get to with anything except a taxi. If you're looking for an interesting, but not too expensive downtown restaurant, I'd recommend the Banana Leaf on Denman.

Scott (&Marie)

Ok everyone I received my Entertainment Book today and have a few places to ask about...

Cia bella restaurant and piano bar ...703 denham St.

Cordon Bleu Cafe.....250 E 1st St. North Vancouver

Zefferelli's ......1136 Robson St.

Amarcord Ristorante Italiano...104-1168 Hamilton St.

Pepita's Restaurant.....2015 Burrard St.

Stonegrill...1161 Granville St. ??? Is this place really expensive?

Bogart's Chophouse & Bar....1619 W. Broadway

Sophie's Cosmic Cafe....2095 W. 4th Ave.

The Smoking Dog Bistro...1889 W. 1st Ave.

Medley's Restaurant....1110 Howe St.

KAlypso Quzeria.....#200-1025 Robson St.

Cascades Lounge....300-999 Canada Place

Zachary's on Robson....121 robson St.

Cafe Pacifica.....300-999 Canada Place

Tivolli's Downtown....1379 Howe St.

Can you please tell me how far these are from The Hampton Inn on Robson, Are they safe, Good, and are they in a safe part of town if we are out after dark?

PLease tell me if these are very expensive places to go also?

Thank you

Hello Vickie, Thank you so much for offering to help :) ...as you can see I have posted several places that has offers in the Entertainment Book and I was wondering if you could tell me what is good, reasonable, and we will be staying at the Hampton Inn on Robson Street so we do want to stay some what close for Dinner. All that I have listed are offering 2 for 1:D .

thank you

Activities: one is to visit Caffe Artigiano on 740 West Hastings Street but would like some more.

There's a new Cafe Artigiano in the 500 Block of Granville (near Dunsmuir). OK OK, it's a tad pricy, but DAMN it's good coffee. If you're a real coffee hound 'Mink' is also very good, they have a clover machine (off Hastings @ Hornby IIRC). You might also want to try 'Marios' which is on Howe just north of Dunsmuir.

What is this area of the city like and and do you know of the hotel or coffee shop that I have mentioned? Also, dinner for the night we all arrive. Something casual in the teen price range (per dish). And something to see or do on July 4. We will have 4 children (17, 13,12,8) 4 adults in their 40's and 1 adult in their 70's.

If you're headed toward stanley park, I always recommend the Banana Leaf (Malay cuisine; great without being too fancy or expensive) on Denman st.

http://www.makingmemorieswithscrapbooking.com/page/page/1657990.htm

http://www.scrapbookwarehouse.com/

http://www.myscrapbookshop.com/

The first two are in vancouver, the last one is in Langley, an hour outside of the city.

I use to scrapbook, but now I do it all digitally.

thanks vickie-bernie

that is brill info!! shhh don't tell her! lol

Firstly, I'd like to say that Vickie and Bernie will do a fine job answering questions, after all, they did help us all kick butt in the Movie Music trivia on the Sep Island Princess Sailing :-)

As for the Cannery, it's quite wonderful, but awkward to get to with anything except a taxi. If you're looking for an interesting, but not too expensive downtown restaurant, I'd recommend the Banana Leaf on Denman.

Scott (&Marie)

Hi Scott, yes we did kick some butt. Hope all is well. What is your next cruise venture? I look for you guys whenever I am around 22nd station or doing a 101 route.

I've never been to Banana leaf, I'll have to try it. Yes the Cannery is a ways away and you will definately need a taxi or car. But the trip is worth it, but it is expensive and I don't think I would take kids there, they'd be bored.

Ok everyone I received my Entertainment Book today and have a few places to ask about...

Cia bella restaurant and piano bar ...703 denham St. very nice, haven't been there in a while but great location

Cordon Bleu Cafe.....250 E 1st St. North Vancouver ]never been, North Van requires you to take bus or sea bus[/color]

Zefferelli's ......1136 Robson St. Great restaurant, another great location, reasonably priced, love their pizza[/font]

Amarcord Ristorante Italiano...104-1168 Hamilton St. This is in Yaletown, I've never been to this restaurant but there are many great ones there and it is a cool place to walk around espcially on a nice day. Lots of outdoor cafes/restaurants. You could walk to Yaletown - a nice route is to head south till you get to the seawall and then turn left and keep walking until you come to it. It is an old industrial area that has been developed and now sells for 700% of original prices...

Pepita's Restaurant.....2015 Burrard St. This is a good Mexican restaurant on the South end of Vancouver, catch 22 bus on Burrard get off at 4th St. -- For Mexican we are big fans on Andalads (also in Entertainment book on Broadway) The area on Broadway is easy to get to, lots of buses to take you there and a nice area to stroll and check out the shops, especially all the Greek stores.[/font]

Stonegrill...1161 Granville St. ??? Is this place really expensive? This is one of those trendy places with a theme, everything is cooked on a stone. Haven't been there. It is in a great location right at the harbour, south side.... afterwards take water taxi over to Granville Island for the sites there. This location doesn't do well for restaurants, seems like it changes hands every two years.[/color]

Bogart's Chophouse & Bar....1619 W. Broadway Another great place, also on Broadway near Burrard... popular with the after work crowd, you can get a great martini there.

Sophie's Cosmic Cafe....2095 W. 4th Ave. Oh how I miss this place... when I lived downtown I would eat weekend brunch here. Be prepared to line up to get in, but it is worth it. And the restaurant's deco is pretty out of this world. Also walking around 4th Ave is another great thing to check out at all hours.

The Smoking Dog Bistro...1889 W. 1st Ave. don't know this one

Medley's Restaurant....1110 Howe St. don't know this one

KAlypso Quzeria.....#200-1025 Robson St. I think this is the Greek restaurant upstairs... easy to find as they have a guy dressed up in costume outside... I have never eaten there but I've had friends who have and they didn't really like it... there are so many other great Greek restaurants that this one shoud be at the bottom of the list... my opnion. My recommendation for Greek is Stephos on Davie between Burrard and Thurlow, again the locals love this place, so be prepared to line up... but hey you will fit right in with the locals

Cascades Lounge....300-999 Canada Place Haven't eaten her - can't comment

Zachary's on Robson....121 robson St. Haven't eaten her - can't comment

Cafe Pacifica.....300-999 Canada Place Haven't eaten her - can't comment

Tivolli's Downtown....1379 Howe St. Haven't eaten her - can't comment

Can you please tell me how far these are from The Hampton Inn on Robson, Are they safe, Good, and are they in a safe part of town if we are out after dark?

PLease tell me if these are very expensive places to go also?

Thank you

Hello Vickie, Thank you so much for offering to help :) ...as you can see I have posted several places that has offers in the Entertainment Book and I was wondering if you could tell me what is good, reasonable, and we will be staying at the Hampton Inn on Robson Street so we do want to stay some what close for Dinner. All that I have listed are offering 2 for 1:D .

thank you

Vancouver is a very safe city and I feel comfortable walking pretty much everywhere at all hours. Note: I would stay away from the downtown eastside especially at night, this is the Hastings/Main area but most tourists don't go there; however Chinatown is just one block south but during the day you shouldn't experience any problems.

Note there are lots of homeless people (like most large cities now a days) and you will be asked for change, a polite no sorry will work fine.

Enjoy your stay

There is a Shoppers Drug Mart in the 500 block of Granville, about 3 blocks from your hotel, a large London Drugs at Granville & Georgia, about 4 blocks from your hotel and a 7-11 at Seymour & Dunsmuir which is about 5 blocks from the PP. All of these are in close proximity of one another.

As to restaurants, there is some fine dining in the PP at at the Waterfront Hotel as well as Aqua Riva which is right next door in Granville Square or the revolving restaurant at Harbour Centre ( great views but average foods) about 2 blocks to the east. There are also some great steak houses, such as Hys on Hornby St. and Gothams on Seymour St, all easy & safe walks from your hotel.

Thanks so much for the info; what about drug stores and restaurants near the Sutton Place Hotel?

The answers would be the same except you are a block or so closer to the drug stores and 7-11 and 3 to 4 blocks further away from the restaurants down near the PP and the harbour. For the most part the 100%downtown business core of Vancouver is pretty compact, 8 to 10 blocks square.