Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Putterdude,

Thanks for the info....I had found the info for the Grehounder before, but was curious if there might be other options available other than flying or driving. They only charge $30 for a 14 day advance purchase ticket so I consider this quite reasonable.

I will have a fair bit of luggage with me as I will be coming off a Mexican cruise and then heading out on an Alaskan cruise 5 days later so I have to bring clothes etc for 6 weeks and two completely different climates. I have a portable cart that I can stack my luggage onso that I only have to pull one bundle as I have limited use of my left hand and arm. Do you think this will be much of a problem with the Skytain? As opposed to the escalator I am assuming they will have an elevator avaailable somewhere.

Is the route walkable? I enjoy walking and will have plenty of time to take an hour or two stroll. Plus you get to see more if you walk!

Thanks again for the help.

Rochelle

We are flying into Seattle and then going on to Vancouver. I haven't decided on the Amtrak train or QuickCoach yet.

We are staying at the Park Inn & Suites on W Broadway, when I called QuickCoach they said that we could get off at Broadway and Granville and get a cab from there. I checked the map and it's about 6-7 blocks to the hotel. Would it be strange (for lack of better word) to just walk to the hotel with suitcases (3) in tow?? would it be easy to get a cab from this location?? or would it be better to have them drop us off at the Amtrak/bus station and get a cab from there?

Putterdude,

Thanks for the info....I had found the info for the Grehounder before, but was curious if there might be other options available other than flying or driving. They only charge $30 for a 14 day advance purchase ticket so I consider this quite reasonable.

I will have a fair bit of luggage with me as I will be coming off a Mexican cruise and then heading out on an Alaskan cruise 5 days later so I have to bring clothes etc for 6 weeks and two completely different climates. I have a portable cart that I can stack my luggage onso that I only have to pull one bundle as I have limited use of my left hand and arm. Do you think this will be much of a problem with the Skytain? As opposed to the escalator I am assuming they will have an elevator avaailable somewhere.

Is the route walkable? I enjoy walking and will have plenty of time to take an hour or two stroll. Plus you get to see more if you walk!

Thanks again for the help.

Rochelle

As long as you have confidence in your carts and you own ability to walk the eqivilant of not more that 2 1/2 blocks at either station then no you shouldn't have a problem. I would assume that in this day of age that there are elevators at both of the Waterfront and Main Street Stations but I can't be sure. If not look very "distressed" and some kind Vancouverite will help, thats what we so out here. Here is the Translink or as we call it "Transclunk" website link http://www.translink.bc.ca/default.asp

Also, what is the best way to get to the airport? If we take a cab, should we request a particular route in order to miss the construction?

There is the Airporter which is a shuttle, or a cab or limo. A cab is about $35 and a limo about $10 more. Most of the cab and limo drivers are pretty honest and they are going to take you the most direct route which is likely up Howe St. over the Granville St. bridge, up Granville St and over the Lang Bridge an into the airport. Here is the link to the Airporter http://www.yvrairporter.com/

We are flying into Seattle and then going on to Vancouver. I haven't decided on the Amtrak train or QuickCoach yet.

We are staying at the Park Inn & Suites on W Broadway, when I called QuickCoach they said that we could get off at Broadway and Granville and get a cab from there. I checked the map and it's about 6-7 blocks to the hotel. Would it be strange (for lack of better word) to just walk to the hotel with suitcases (3) in tow?? would it be easy to get a cab from this location?? or would it be better to have them drop us off at the Amtrak/bus station and get a cab from there?

No, it won't look strange as long as you can handle it it; we will just watch for the gypsys (just kidding). As far as the cabs go it would be cheaper to take a cab from Granville and Broadway then from the Amtrak Station but you may not find a cab on Broadway readily. Your other option would be to catch and east bound transit bus that will cost you $2.50 CDN each and they require exact change; just tell the driver where you are going and he/she will let you off at the stop closest to the hotel, they are very good about that. Enjoy your stay in Vancouver!

No, it won't look strange as long as you can handle it it; we will just watch for the gypsys (just kidding). As far as the cabs go it would be cheaper to take a cab from Granville and Broadway then from the Amtrak Station but you may not find a cab on Broadway readily. Your other option would be to catch and east bound transit bus that will cost you $2.50 CDN each and they require exact change; just tell the driver where you are going and he/she will let you off at the stop closest to the hotel, they are very good about that. Enjoy your stay in Vancouver!

Thanks Putterdude, I was afraid that we might not find a cab that easily at Granville and Broadway, but didn't think of the bus.

Anyone ever eaten at Capone's ....is it worth the walk?

and a BIG Thank You to the locals how have provided soooo much help and insight. Mahalo Nui! :D

I haven't eaten there personally only because I was more of a downtown guy rather than a Yaletown guy but the reviews I have read seem to be good to very good (I think with reviews you have to toss out the poors and the excellents). Maybe someone like Urban Trekker who lives quite close to it could give you a more "up close and personal" review.

Hi! My son and I are on the Amtrak train leaving Seattle in the early morning. We plan to take a taxi to get us to Princess dock. In lieu of carrying wine on the train, we would like to purchase it in Vancouver. I understand that we will need to purchase it at a government run liquor store.Would there be one nearby the cruise terminal or one somewhere on the route between the Amtrak station and the terminal? Thanks

You may want to rethink that; we are taxed to death on liquor and wine in BC, its a "sin tax" you know. So much for my rant, a bottle of California wine that you can buy on sale at the grocery store in the US for $5 to $7; well double that at the BC Liquor Stores. The closest liquor store to the terminal at Canada Place is in Harbour Centre at 555 W. Hastings, about 2 or 3 blocks to the east. You are allowed to bring into Canada 1 litre of wine each so if there are 2 of you, customs will look the other way if you bring in three .750 litre bottles between you, you could probably bring in 2 each but you never know.....? We also now have private liquor stores and there may be one in Waterfront Centre which is right a cross from Canada Place but you won't save any money because they are quite regulated by our Provincial Gov't; its the price we pay for universal health care.

Sorry can't help with Capone's as I have never eaten there.

Putterdude - assume you know that the Park Inn and Suites is the old Centennial Hotel on Broadway - that was out favorite watering hole when I was attending the old King Edward Campus of Vancouver Community College in the late 60's.

Cheers

Dennis

Putterdude - assume you know that the Park Inn and Suites is the old Centennial Hotel on Broadway - that was out favorite watering hole when I was attending the old King Edward Campus of Vancouver Community College in the late 60's.

No that hadn't occured to me, but didn't Joe Kapp have some involvement in the hotel in it's early years?

Thanks, guess we will bring it on the train or wait til our first stop in Ketchikan.

I hate to say it, but good decision. You don’t have to wait until Ketchikan to open it; once you are aboard ship you are “home free”. Oh, if you have an extra bottle of a good California red, Smoking Lion or something, well that will be me waiving to you on the starboard side about 1 ½ hours out of Vancouver.

I have read through the posts here and am still confused about hotels. We will be 3 women in their 40's in Vancouver for about 5 days without a car. Where would you suggest staying. We walk alot and are not afraid of public transportation. We hae started our list of things to do. We had though about going to Whistler for a day, but are not sure if that would be worth our time away from Vancouver since there seems to be quite a bit to do there as well.

Thanks for your help

Bolt

I have read through the posts here and am still confused about hotels. We will be 3 women in their 40's in Vancouver for about 5 days without a car. Where would you suggest staying. We walk alot and are not afraid of public transportation. We hae started our list of things to do. We had though about going to Whistler for a day, but are not sure if that would be worth our time away from Vancouver since there seems to be quite a bit to do there as well.

Bolt,

Probably the best thing to do is establish what you budget for accommodation is then go to Priceline and or Hotels.com pick out some suspects then come back here with them and we will try to help you with a final selection. As long as you stay off Granville St. for the most part you will be ok.

As to Whistler, yes, with 5 days in Vancouver it would be a very good investment of your time. I try to get up there once a year and it still takes my breath away each time I go, even the trip up is beautiful. Here is a link to one of the companies that offers trips to Whistler but there are certainly others. Also with Whistler hosting a lot of the 2010 Winter Olympic events it will give you some idea where these are being held.

http://www.vancouvertours.com/

We are getting to Vancouver at 7am 4/27 from a 3 day repo cruise so I assume we will be off by 10am. We have a 745p flight that night and I will be at the airport by 6pm. Does this leave us enough time to see Vancouver via the stop-and-go trolley? We will only have carry on luggage so that's not an issue, just wondering what we can do for 1 afternoon to experience Vancouver as mush as possible.

We are getting to Vancouver at 7am 4/27 from a 3 day repo cruise so I assume we will be off by 10am. We have a 745p flight that night and I will be at the airport by 6pm. Does this leave us enough time to see Vancouver via the stop-and-go trolley? We will only have carry on luggage so that's not an issue, just wondering what we can do for 1 afternoon to experience Vancouver as mush as possible.

Hello Henderson, we have a winter home in Fort Mohave so we are often up in Henderson to shop at the Galleria and Costco then stay the night at Sunset Station. Yes you should be able to see a fair amount of Vancouver in the time you have via the Trolly, you may not be able to jump off and on as much you like but it should still work for you. Please try to get off the ship ASAP and just remember that the airport is 45 min from downtown, you will be going to the airport in rush hour so add a few minutes to that and officially you should be at the airport 2 hours before your flight as you will clear US customs at the airport. Although if you are flying Phillipine Airlines or on a Canadian charter flight that goes into terminal 2 at LAS you may not clear customs until you arrive in LAS. Here is the link to the Trolly.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/citytours/tour.html

The Century Plaza, the Blue Horizon, Holiday Inn on Howe and Pacific Palisades will put you within blocks of Joe Fortes and the shops on Robson St and Pacific Centre with the Blue Horizon and Pacific Palisades being right on Robson. On Priceline and Hotels.com you should be able get a room for under $200 however the Pacific P. may be a bit more particularly as we move into July. The Silvia Hotel is an old, but meticulously maintained, family operated, landmark hotel on English Bay and a superb location for Stanley Park but will be a bit of a hike to the heart of the shopping centre on Robson St.

Thank you very much for your help. You all are so kind for doing this thread.

As long as you have confidence in your carts and you own ability to walk the eqivilant of not more that 2 1/2 blocks at either station then no you shouldn't have a problem. I would assume that in this day of age that there are elevators at both of the Waterfront and Main Street Stations but I can't be sure. If not look very "distressed" and some kind Vancouverite will help, thats what we so out here. Here is the Translink or as we call it "Transclunk" website link http://www.translink.bc.ca/default.asp

Putterdude,

Are you saying that the distance from Canada Place to the bus station is only a 2 1/2 block walk? I walk 7-10 km every night...I guess I could handle that then!

If you did not mean that, I was asking if the above entire route is walkable.

Thanks again for your help,

Rochelle

Putterdude,

Are you saying that the distance from Canada Place to the bus station is only a 2 1/2 block walk? I walk 7-10 km every night...I guess I could handle that then!

If you did not mean that, I was asking if the above entire route is walkable.

Thanks again for your help,

Rochelle

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, the distance between each of Canada Place and the Waterfront Sky Train station and the Main St. Sky Train station and the Grayhound Bus depot is less than 2 1/2 blocks each. Actually the walk from the Main St. station to the Grayhound depot is the longest at a short 2 1/2 blocks. You absolutely wouldn't want to walk from Canada Place to the Grayhound Depot, it would require a walk through the Downtown Eastside which is one of the "seediest" neighbourhoods in Canada.

Putterdude,

Well there is excellent information to be had.....would not want to be strolling through that type of area, especially carting my laptop, cameras and other valuables....and especially as I will be on my own.....the Skytrain it is for me.

Thank you for all your help

Rochelle

Putterdude,

Well there is excellent information to be had.....would not want to be strolling through that type of area, especially carting my laptop, cameras and other valuables....and especially as I will be on my own.....the Skytrain it is for me.

Thank you for all your help

You are very welcome, hope next time you will be able to spend some time enjoying Vancouver.

Putterdude,

I am sure I will have many opportunities in the future. My daughter moved to Kelowna in September. She jokes about moving home all the time, but I think she will be one of those who move west and never come back ( well she was already home for Christmas but she got back on the plane afterwards). I bet I will be learning all about beautiful BC from first hand experience in the years ahead.....unless I follow her out there.

Thanks again

Rochelle