Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

To all the wonderful post & present Vancouvites including Urban Trekker who has helped us so much so far.....Thank you so much for your time & knowledge...your the best!!

What more can you tell me about the Residence Inn Downtown Vancouver? you will be in the South end of the downtown core -- (relatively close to the Chateau Granville, but still a few blocks away) everything is within walking distance. I was there a few years ago and it is an older hotel but it is a good value.

Where could we pick up bottled water & soda pre-cruise (decent prices)? Check previous posts re this, you could pick it up at tons of spots nearby, London Drugs (like a Walgreens) is big here or Shoppers Drug Mart.

Is there a drug store nearby in case needed? see above, Shoppers is the closest to you, it is on Davie near Thurlow

What about lower cost spots for lunch & dinner near the Residence Inn? We would even consider chains such as Applebees, Friendlys even Burger King. We would rather spend our money on seeing your city..Grouse Mountain.. Capilano Bridge etc and know that we will be eating more than our fair share on the cruise. We don't have an Applebees in Vancouver, there is at least one in the suburbs, never heard of Friendlys, but we do have all the hamburger chains etc. If i were you I would walk up to Davie street (one block North) and turn left (west) and you will come accross a ton of restaurants, including my favorite Greek restaurant Stephos (see earlier post). Also you can walk up to Robson for more.

Any comments on Hop On/Off Bus vs Hop On/Off Trolley? We know that the Hop On/Off Bus has a stop @ the Residence Inn. Any idea of a close stop by the Trolley near the Residence Inn? don't know, but I am sure the hotel's conceirge can help when you arrive

It appears that the Trolley does a more thorough tour of Stanley Park than the Bus...Am I right? Yes it does, the city bus is just that, it will take you to the part, the trolley tour bus is a tour company and will take you all over the park and give you history etc.

Note, it may be confusing as many of the buses in Vancouver are called "trolleys" as they run on electricity and overhead wire. There is also a tour company that calls their bus a "trolley" but it looks like an old street car but it is really a diesel bus.

I hear that the Entertainment Book has a pay for 1 - get one free on the Trolley. Does anyone out there have the Entertainment book...if so, can you check if there any coupons for the Hop On/Hop Off Bus? sorry I would check but car is in the car

Thanks again for everyones help.

J

Hope this helps -- enjoy your visit

"To Putterdude - I was also born in Vancouver just over 60 years ago at St Paul's and spend my entire working career over just over 41 years working in the downtown core including more than a few nights putting back beer in some of old downtown drinking holes - remember the Blackstone now the Howard Johnson or the Austin now the Ramada.

Over the past couple of months the police have closed Granville St to traffic from Helmecken to Robson on weekend nights and this has had a positive effect on the street - there have been less incidents since it is harder for the culprits to escape on foot and in fact with the latest revamp of Granville ready to start any day it city is looking at incorporating this feature on a permanent basis.

Cheers

Dennis

Oh you brought back memories -- because i too have had my fare share of drinks at those watering holes -- I love the Yale Hotel, great live bands.

Also I love your cruise history as it says 45 years on BC ferries. Today a friend said she could never sail on a cruise as she hates sailing the ferry to Victoria -- ha ha had to tell her it is a little different on large cruise ships

Urban Trekker;

Yes I remember those one’s and I think I had my first illegal drink at the Belmont (but we have discussed that in another thread). At one time I moonlighted bussing at the Ramada on Howe but maybe that was Burrard. My wife, our oldest son, and myself were born at St. Paul’s Hospital and my mother was nurse there briefly. Back in the mid 60’s we used to hang at the Abbotsford and the one around the corner from Hornby on Hastings (the name has escaped me) then there was the venerable old Devonshire. Dare I say that I remember “Gary Taylor's” in my youth. However on weekends we were generally at the Avalon or the more likely the Coach House Inn but occasionally it was the St. Alice or the Olympic (the Big “O”). All of them gone but not forgotten. Used to have a friend who thought the Silvia was the place to go so occasionally we would go there for some brews and a baron of beef. Actually in its day the Abby had a pretty good baron as well.

"At one time I moonlighted bussing at the Ramada on Howe but maybe that was Burrard."

Wasn't the Holiday Inn on Howe at one time the Ramada and would the place on Hastings be the Jolly Taxpayer and yes I remember the Abby which is now the Days Inn downtown. Then there was the Alcatzar, Grovsner, King George VI pub in the Georgia which may have been the first place I went underage as it seems that a student card was your admission not your birth certificate.

The Fraser Arms was my main pub so much so that I use to cash my pay cheque there - those were the days before electronic deposits.

Oh gosh we have to stop posting all this trivia we are making ourselves old.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you so much for the wonderful thread!

What can you tell me about the Marriott Pinnacle? We will be in Vancouver for 1 night pre-cruise and can use points for our stay.

Any place to buy soda's for the cruise near by?

Good place to get fish and chips?

Also, our plane get into Vancouver at 11 am Sunday morning. What time can we reasonably expect to get to the hotel to drop off bags?

What can you tell me about the Marriott Pinnacle? We will be in Vancouver for 1 night pre-cruise and can use points for our stay.

Good place to get fish and chips?

Also, our plane get into Vancouver at 11 am Sunday morning. What time can we reasonably expect to get to the hotel to drop off bags?

this is a great location and no matter where your room is you will get a great view.

For purchasing of soda/water etc you may want to head up to Robson Street and go to London Drugs and buy snacks/pop/water there it is at Robson and Bute. there is a grocery store too, but it is further west on Robson and you will probably pay the same or less price at London Drugs. You can also go to Pacific Centre (large mall in downtown Vancouver) ask front desk at hotel how to get there. http://www.pacificcentre.com/contact/index.ch2

Re the fish and chips gee you got me there, even check with husband and he says all the ones he loved are gone now. So hopefully someone else can help. Whenever we crave fish and chips we head to Steveston.

http://www.yvrairporter.com/ here is a link for the airport shuttle bus. If that is something that interest you. By taxi it will take about a half hour on the weekend if traffic is good. Tip: go to the city via Granville Street and the Granville Street Bridge as the Cambie Street Corridor is a mess because of the building of the RAV line for the Olympics. My best guesstimation if you arrive at 11 is you will have your bags and in a taxi noon depending on Customs/Immigration. At the latest you should be at the hotel by 1 pm. Hopefully you will be able to check in or at least leave your bags.

Cheers

Vickie

Your location is very pleasant and will be quiet at night; it is very much in the business core but towards the north and west of it. You should have some good views of the harbour and the North Shore mountains if you have a north facing room. If you are departing from the Canada Place terminal you could walk if you don’t have much baggage but if you do you are only a 3 min. taxi ride. If you leaving from the Ballantyne Terminal you are about 7 – 10 mins by taxi & probably a $15 fare including tip. I can’t think of a “C” store in the area so I would suggest London Drugs at Granville & Georgia for sodas etc. It is a 7 or 8 block walk so be aware of the weight of what you buy or try transit.

By the time you get your bags, get out of the airport and downtown, you probably won’t make the hotel until 12:30 so I would go directly there. If your room is not ready I am certain the bell desk will check it for you.

Fish n’ chips, now with everyone eating so healthy (myself not included) I can’t think of anything close but the concierge desk in the hotel could probably direct you somewhere. A neat place to eat is an upscale marine pub called Cardero’s http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/home.html. It is a beautiful setting but probably just a little bit too far to walk, I am sure that you can find something closer.

Urban trekker;

I think you are correct the Ramada Inn was on Howe and probably is the now the Holiday Inn. In the 60's in was a very nice to stay, not that it isn't today Iam sure. It had a very nice dining room and I have a vision of walking up some stairs to get into the lobby from the street then the first floor of rooms was open to the lobby. But the memory fades.

Yes the pub on Hasitings is the "Jolly Tax Payer" today, I was trying to think of the name of the hotel it is part of, could it be the Pemberton? We used to leave the old Canada Trust building at 901 W. Pender (it was new when I started there in 1964) and go down the alley from Hornby and enter thru the back door off the lane. Not sure if I ever went in the front door. So on Friday's we would send an advance party next door to the Abby or down the lane to the ? to reserve a bunch of tables and how we ever got home after all of those 20 cent beers - God only knows.

Hello Vickie,

I'm going to be cruising from Vancouver in July, and will begin by reading the forum from post 'one' Since we're staying in Vancouver for a few days post cruise, this should be most informative.

Now that I'm here, I'll catch - up before asking redundant questions!

Pete

Hello Vickie,

I'm going to be cruising from Vancouver in July, and will begin by reading the forum from post 'one' Since we're staying in Vancouver for a few days post cruise, this should be most informative.

Now that I'm here, I'll catch - up before asking redundant questions!

Pete

That is great Pete, we will have to get together. What days are you in town? Maybe we can arrange to show you around and do dinner or something? See you missed us so much you had to come visit. :eek:

That is if you can handle us, considerine you will have to spend two weeks with us in Jan.

Vickie

Good place to get fish and chips? Mr. Pickwick's on Denman Street used to do really good fish and chips - I haven't been there in about a year, so no idea if it is still as great as it used to be!

Vancouver is a great place to visit, but it's a WONDERFUL place to live...

To all the wonderful post & present Vancouvites including Urban Trekker who has helped us so much so far.....Thank you so much for your time & knowledge...your the best!!

What more can you tell me about the Residence Inn Downtown Vancouver?

Where could we pick up bottled water & soda pre-cruise (decent prices)?

Is there a drug store nearby in case needed?

What about lower cost spots for lunch & dinner near the Residence Inn? We would even consider chains such as Applebees, Friendlys even Burger King. We would rather spend our money on seeing your city..Grouse Mountain.. Capilano Bridge etc and know that we will be eating more than our fair share on the cruise.

Any comments on Hop On/Off Bus vs Hop On/Off Trolley? We know that the Hop On/Off Bus has a stop @ the Residence Inn. Any idea of a close stop by the Trolley near the Residence Inn?

It appears that the Trolley does a more thorough tour of Stanley Park than the Bus...Am I right?

I hear that the Entertainment Book has a pay for 1 - get one free on the Trolley. Does anyone out there have the Entertainment book...if so, can you check if there any coupons for the Hop On/Hop Off Bus?

Thanks again for everyones help.

J

I just received my Vancouver Entertainment Book and Yes it has a coupon for Two For One on the Vancouver Trolley Company. In addition to a lot of great restaurant coupons it also has 2 for 1 to the Vancouver Aquarium, Capilano Suspesion Bridge and a lot of others. We are only going to be in Vancouver for two days but we figured that it would pay for itself very quickly and we could leave the rest of the book for the hotel staff to use.

Tom

I just received my Vancouver Entertainment Book and Yes it has a coupon for Two For One on the Vancouver Trolley Company. In addition to a lot of great restaurant coupons it also has 2 for 1 to the Vancouver Aquarium, Capilano Suspesion Bridge and a lot of others. We are only going to be in Vancouver for two days but we figured that it would pay for itself very quickly and we could leave the rest of the book for the hotel staff to use.

Tom

You are abolutely right, if you use them they really are a great book to have. I am sure that someone at the hotel would love to have it when you are finished with it.

Have any questions? Well so many of you have helped me when I visit your cities, so hopefully I can help you.

I know the city well and work as a transit driver. And if anyone else from Vancouver knows an answer feel free to help too.

Hi Vickie,

Thanks for your help in advance. This is my first time to travel both the Alaska and Vancouver this May. My family (party of seven, no children) and are planning to take the shuttle from Seattle to Vancouver downtown. The Coral Princess should be docked in Canada place, I am still looking for the hotel, don't know which area should l stay and we are planning to go to the Butchart Gardens the day before we sail.

Any suggestions for the hotel (around $115 to $125 per night) and how should we go to the port from hotel? Is it easy to call cab in Vancouver since we have 7 people that we should call 2 cabs?

Thank you.

Hi Vickie,

Thanks for your help in advance. This is my first time to travel both the Alaska and Vancouver this May. My family (party of seven, no children) and are planning to take the shuttle from Seattle to Vancouver downtown. The Coral Princess should be docked in Canada place, I am still looking for the hotel, don't know which area should l stay and we are planning to go to the Butchart Gardens the day before we sail.

Any suggestions for the hotel (around $115 to $125 per night) and how should we go to the port from hotel? Is it easy to call cab in Vancouver since we have 7 people that we should call 2 cabs?

Thank you.

Your budget is going to make this a little bit of a challenge as rates in the downtown core start at about $150 + taxes and move up from there, you will do a bit better if you move out of the downtown area just a bit. My suggestion would be to do a search on hotels.ca with your dates. Then when you have some ideas we can probably help you a little better.

Other things that would help would be, will you be renting a car to go to Victoria to the Butchart Gardens or will you go by coach? Have you put together any kind of an itinerary of what you would like to do and see while you are here as that would also help with the hotel suggestions?

As to cabs you would probably have to use 2 cabs and no, cabs are not quite as abundant as they are in some metropolitan cities. Having said some of the cab companies do operate mini-vans and you may be able to request one but that would lengthen your wait for one. With your size of group there may be economy in renting a mini-van from a rental car company – just a thought.

That is great Pete, we will have to get together. What days are you in town? Maybe we can arrange to show you around and do dinner or something? See you missed us so much you had to come visit. :eek:

That is if you can handle us, considerine you will have to spend two weeks with us in Jan.

Vickie

Well, I'll have my 81 yr old Mother, and sister in tow.... this is going to limit what we do. If it were just Tina and I, we'd by free wheeling it, but it's our intent to design this vacation for my Mother, who's never experienced anything like this before. We're staying at the Comfort Inn Vancouver Airport both per and post cruise, and have a car rented. RCI sails out of the 'Ballantyne' cruise port, and we have our parking arranged and paid for.

Flying in July 11th, sailing the 12th, disembarking on the 19th, and flying home on the 21st.

Thanks to everyone who has offered so much in experience and suggestions. There's a considerable amount of information to mull over, and links to be followed. As for the restaurant suggestions... wow. It will be nice to decompress post cruise at a nice restaurant, and now we have a realistic list to look into.

Pete

"I have a vision of walking up some stairs to get into the lobby from the street then the first floor of rooms was open to the lobby."

Then we are talking about the same place as that is the what the entrance to the Holiday Inn is like today.

Cheers

Dennis

"I have a vision of walking up some stairs to get into the lobby from the street then the first floor of rooms was open to the lobby."

Then we are talking about the same place as that is the what the entrance to the Holiday Inn is like today.

Cheers

Dennis

You have nailed it, I am no longer confused, thanks.

With all of your BC Ferry trips, our youngest son is with the Ferry Corp working towards his mates ticket. He spent most of last year as a quartermaster on the new "Northern Adventure" however he is off on compo right now as he got injured in an advanced rescue course a few months ago. Until he joined them I had no idea how much time and money the corp spends on training their crews and then retraining them, it is very impressive. They are not exagerating when they make the boarding annoucement and say how highly trained the crew is.

Thank you vickie, putterdude and ceilidh1 for the information. DH wanted to have fish and chips for lunch so Mr. Pickwick's should be fine. Cardero's sounds good for dinner, thanks for the link.

This thread is just wonderful!

Thank you vickie, putterdude and ceilidh1 for the information. DH wanted to have fish and chips for lunch so Mr. Pickwick's should be fine. Cardero's sounds good for dinner, thanks for the link.

This thread is just wonderful!

Great, hope you enjoy both. I don't know Mr. Pickwick personally but know a friend of his and that he serves up a very good product. He has been around for years so he must be doing something right. It will also put you down towards Stanley Park so you could do that in the morning or afternoon if you wish. You will be doubling back to do Cardero' but there is lots of fine dinning with in a few blocks of the Marriot, you definitly won't go hungry for dinner. A few of the places would be the Five Sails in the Pan Pacific at Canada Place http://www.panpacific.com/en/Vancouver/Dining/TheFiveSails.html

Aqua Riva in Granville Square which is adjacent Canada Place http://www.aquariva.com/ both of these restaurants will give you beautiful views of the harbour and the north shore mountains but are a little spendy.

Your budget is going to make this a little bit of a challenge as rates in the downtown core start at about $150 + taxes and move up from there, you will do a bit better if you move out of the downtown area just a bit. My suggestion would be to do a search on hotels.ca with your dates. Then when you have some ideas we can probably help you a little better.

Other things that would help would be, will you be renting a car to go to Victoria to the Butchart Gardens or will you go by coach? Have you put together any kind of an itinerary of what you would like to do and see while you are here as that would also help with the hotel suggestions?

As to cabs you would probably have to use 2 cabs and no, cabs are not quite as abundant as they are in some metropolitan cities. Having said some of the cab companies do operate mini-vans and you may be able to request one but that would lengthen your wait for one. With your size of group there may be economy in renting a mini-van from a rental car company – just a thought.

Thanks Pudderdule,

I am trying to search hotel via hotwire.com. They list "downtown vancouver West" , neighbourhood sights include Robson Street and Stanley park. Is it a safe area to stay? I read some posts saying Granville street/area is a "club entertainment" area, we don't want to stay there.

Actually we will arrive in the afternoon on the 10th and so I think we will just do sighseeing in downtown and we plan to visit the Butchart Garden for whole day on the 11th, and 12th go cruising. We are thinking renting a mini van when we arrive Victoria, instead of in Vancouver. Do you think it works? Is the BC Ferry to Victoria mear the Vancouver downtown West Area that easily to walk to?

Thanks for your time and help.

Downtown west side is just fine and that will put you a little closer to Stanley Park, the shops on Robson, Pacific Centre, the art gallery and a whole host of Vancouver sights. I have had some debate about the Granville St. scene in early posts in this thread with some of my fellow Vancouverites and I am still of a mind that I couldn’t recommend this area.

The ferry terminal for the Victoria ferry is Tsawwassen and that is a solid 45 minute drive from Vancouver plus without a reservation (an extra $15 each way) you should be there a full hour or more before the sailing you want to be on . Now you can go out there by bus: http://www.pacificcoach.com/ but by the time you add up 7 fares you may be just as well of getting the van the night before and driving on the ferry, plus it is a time saver because the turn off to the Gardens is on the way into Victoria from the Swartz Bay (the Victoria terminal). By the way the drive time into Victoria from Swartz Bay is a solid 35+ minutes. Here is the BC Ferry’s website: http://www.bcferries.com/ The other thing to check would be if there would be economy in doing the whole trip including the Gardens with Pacific Stage Lines but somehow I doubt it.

My friend just booked the Blue Harizon on Robson Street for $119 a night in June - this was the cheapest hotel in Downtown, by far! The other option was the Pacific Palisades at $149 a night - I have stayed at both places and they are fine. Anyone looking for a Downtown hotel might want to check them out....