Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

A friend and I were trying priceline and initially got turned down for our initial bid for a 4-star hotel downtown... I have never had a bid accepted on Priceline so we kept the price the same and went to a 3-star hotel. Our bid was accepted at the Plaza 500. I've been reading mixed reviews of that hotel. Some saying its pretty good and others pretty bad, although it seems to not be right in the downtown area. Anyone know if the hotel is ok, what there is to do in the area, nice restaurants in the area, if it is close to public transportation, etc...? Any information would be appreciated.

I don't know too much about the hotel itself, but it's located outside of the immediate Downtown area. It's the other side of the Cambie Bridge. If you are planning on doing any driving, just bear in mind that Cambie has a LOT of construction right now, as they are building the new Canada Line - just allow extra time for traffic or look for alternate routes into Downtown. The area around the hotel is fine - West Broadway has a ton of shops, restaurants, coffe shops, etc, and is only about 2 blocks away. You should have a nice view of the Downtown area from this end, too!

Locationally the Plaza 500 is just fine, nice safe area, if you are on the north side of the hotel you should have some good views of downtown and the North Shore mountains. You are on a transit route that will take you downtown. If you look at the hotel’s website, you will see a bridge that you have to cross to get downtown. It would be about a 10 to 15 min transit ride into downtown and about ½ of that by cab; cab fare about $15 each way. With baggage you probably would want to take a cab to the cruise terminal, again about $15.

It is situated diagonally across from City Hall and immediately across the street from an enclosed shopping centre anchored with a Safeway. From a restaurant point of view it is a bit challenged. The only one that spins up in my mind is a White Spot across the street which kind of an upscale Denny or even Applebee’s, kind of good casual food. There will also be some restaurants on Broadway which is 3 blocks to the north.

So while you likely won’t have any trouble with the hotel or location, your savings and time will be eroded somewhat by transiting into downtown & the sights of Vancouver; which kind of begs the question should you keep looking for something in the downtown area even if it costs $25 more or so?

Dennis, Vickie and Tom

Sorry I am so delayed posting but want to thank you so much for the help with my questions regarding the Residence Inn etc.

I have now ordered the Vancouver Entertainment Book and love the idea of leaving it for staff @ the hotel. It sounds like we will get some good savings.

Are there any areas near the hotel we should beware of?

Also we are planning to walk from the Residence Inn to the Starlight Stage at English Bay. Can someone tell us the safest (and quickest) way to walk there the evening of the Celebration of Lights Fireworks?

Jersey - my smart answer would be to say to follow the crowds as most of the roads are closed off but here is the way that I might do it - You are basically at the corner of Davie and Hornby - walk up Davie about 6 blocks until you come to Broughton and then turn left and downhill about three blocks to the stage area.

If you want to get a good viewing spot you will need to get there as early as possible - if it is a sunny day and that time of the year is our best summer weather many people bring their families down early in the day and have a picnic lunch etc.

"Are there any areas near the hotel we should beware of"

NO THE AREA AROUND THE HOTEL IS FINE AND THE AREA IS ALWAYS BUSY WITH PEOPLE OUT WALKING AND THERE IS A HEAVY POLICE PRESENCE DURING THE FIREWORKS. DAVIE STREET NEVER REALLY GOES TO SLEEP BECAUSE OF THE 24 RESTAURANTS AND OTHER SERVICES.

Hope this answer helps

Cheers

Dennis

My friend just booked the Blue Harizon on Robson Street for $119 a night in June - this was the cheapest hotel in Downtown, by far! The other option was the Pacific Palisades at $149 a night - I have stayed at both places and they are fine. Anyone looking for a Downtown hotel might want to check them out....

Hi Ceilidh, would you tell me which website did your friend go and get the Blue Harizon in that great deal? Hotel.com costs $191 per night, while princeline and hotwire will not let you know the exact name of the hotel till you got the bid. Thanks.

I am booking a hotel in downtown Vancouver in June before our cruise. I am trying to decide between the Blue Horizon and the Times Square Suites. I think they are very close to one another so I am mostly trying to decide which is better in terms of price, amenities, etc. Any thoughts?

Hi Ceilidh, would you tell me which website did your friend go and get the Blue Harizon in that great deal? Hotel.com costs $191 per night, while princeline and hotwire will not let you know the exact name of the hotel till you got the bid. Thanks.

I am not an expert at Priceline or Hotwire but from what I understand, you make a bid and it is either accepted or not, if accepted then it is revealed to you what the hotel is and then at that point you can decide if you want the hotel or not. Please read the rules though because I sure don’t want to be leading you astray on this.

I am booking a hotel in downtown Vancouver in June before our cruise. I am trying to decide between the Blue Horizon and the Times Square Suites. I think they are very close to one another so I am mostly trying to decide which is better in terms of price, amenities, etc. Any thoughts?

The Blue Horizon is on Robson St. and you can walk on Robson which is one of the finest shopping districts in Vancouver. You are little closer to business district, Pacific Centre, the art gallery, Canada Place and many of the sights of Vancouver. Time Square is little further from the above but is closer to Stanley Park and English Bay. Both have lots of restaurants around them. Time Square is newer than the Blue Horizon and is receiving a lot of good reviews. I would expect that you can get a better price at the BH than the TS and you probably would save a few dollars in cab fare getting from the BH to the cruise terminal over the TS (only $3-5). However at the end of the day I think it is kind of a pick’m. But I might just give a slight nod to TS.

I have had some disagreement with other posters about this location, it is a bit mixed but transitioning to the better. Not a whole lot to walk to from here. I have checked the mid-July rates and I have to say that they would be hard to beat. But if you checked Priceline, Hotwire and Hotels.ca you might get a room in a downtown west-side for about $25 more, you could walk to many of the downtown attractions, restaurants and use hop on-hop trolley and not use a rental car for a day or two. The other option would be the 4 motels that are on Capilano Rd. in North Vancouver , Best Western, Comfort Inn, North Vancouver Hotel and the Grouse Inn; but there you would need your rental car. The North Vancouver motels would put you closer to the Grouse Mountain Sky Ride, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Cleveland Dam, Horseshoe Bay and Whistler. The downside is the traffic over the Lions Gate Bridge at rush hours. At the end of the day if you can, I’d spend the few extra dollars, stay at a moderate downtown-west side hotel and not rent the car.

We went straight to the website and booked from there. At the time, the special (see the link below) extended through June, and the reduced rate was applied at time of booking. Their regular rates are not too outrageous, though! They also offer a discount for BC residents at certain times...

https://secure.grumpmedia.com/clients/bluehorizon/packages.asp?ID=17

I am feeling rather sheepish about post #112 above. I had posted it in response to someone inquiring about the Best Western Uptown. They were a senior aged couple who were renting a car and staying in Vancouver for 3 days but their post has disappeared or it was on another thread ....sorry I guess I am loosing it!

I am feeling rather sheepish about post #112 above. I had posted it in response to someone inquiring about the Best Western Uptown. They were a senior aged couple who were renting a car and staying in Vancouver for 3 days but their post has disappeared or it was on another thread ....sorry I guess I am loosing it!

See post #60. I think this is the post that you were responding to.

what is the "Vancouver Entertainment Book"? - thanks for all your help

The “Entertainment Book” is a book of coupons for 2 for 1 meals, discounts in hotels & attractions etc. The books tend to city specific and are often sold as a fund raiser by clubs and charitable organizations but can be purchased on line and in some retail establishments. They can save a person a lot of money if they use them. Here is the link to the Vancouver one. http://vancouver.entertainment.com/discount/browse.shtml?overrideLocation=N

We went straight to the website and booked from there. At the time, the special (see the link below) extended through June, and the reduced rate was applied at time of booking. Their regular rates are not too outrageous, though! They also offer a discount for BC residents at certain times...

https://secure.grumpmedia.com/clients/bluehorizon/packages.asp?ID=17

ohhh, so good, thank you.

Jersey - my smart answer would be to say to follow the crowds as most of the roads are closed off but here is the way that I might do it - You are basically at the corner of Davie and Hornby - walk up Davie about 6 blocks until you come to Broughton and then turn left and downhill about three blocks to the stage area.

If you want to get a good viewing spot you will need to get there as early as possible - if it is a sunny day and that time of the year is our best summer weather many people bring their families down early in the day and have a picnic lunch etc.

"Are there any areas near the hotel we should beware of"

NO THE AREA AROUND THE HOTEL IS FINE AND THE AREA IS ALWAYS BUSY WITH PEOPLE OUT WALKING AND THERE IS A HEAVY POLICE PRESENCE DURING THE FIREWORKS. DAVIE STREET NEVER REALLY GOES TO SLEEP BECAUSE OF THE 24 RESTAURANTS AND OTHER SERVICES.

Hope this answer helps

Cheers

Dennis

Your potential smart answer was a good response to my most definitly stupid question....I'm sure that the crowds will wisk us along...just wanted to be sure we didn't "get with the wrong crowd" so to speak.

I now feel much more confident about our stay thanks to you (& other posters)

On another post, I think I saw you were going to be out of town for some of the Celebrations dates...does that include July 26th? Just wondering if I would be gazing @ faces wondering if one of them was the wonderful "Dennis" that has helped guide me & so many others.

Jersey Joan

The “Entertainment Book” is a book of coupons for 2 for 1 meals, discounts in hotels & attractions etc. The books tend to city specific and are often sold as a fund raiser by clubs and charitable organizations but can be purchased on line and in some retail establishments. They can save a person a lot of money if they use them. Here is the link to the Vancouver one. http://vancouver.entertainment.com/discount/browse.shtml?overrideLocation=N

thanks can't you tell I am a brit! lol

Jersey Joan - I might be around for that night of the fireworks as my hiking trip is the following week - just depends on how much travel I want to do before getting into Banff - have a few friends and relatives in the cities and towns along the way that I sometimes stop and visit.

Will continue to follow this post.

Cheers

Dennis

Our pre-cruise accommodations are at the Centry Plaza on Burrard. Is this location a do-able walk to Stanley park and the aquarium?? or would it be very difficult to grab the bus .....

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate that you've taken the time to help us who are looking forward to visiting your beautiful city......

Our pre-cruise accommodations are at the Centry Plaza on Burrard. Is this location a do-able walk to Stanley park and the aquarium?? or would it be very difficult to grab the bus .....

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate that you've taken the time to help us who are looking forward to visiting your beautiful city......

Yes you can walk to the park and the aquarium but it is a bit of a walk and you may want to take transit. The park is huge so you may also find that you will want to take a transit bus that goes around the parimeter of the park during the tourist season. I am sure that Vicki or UT can tell a whole lot more than I can on this matter.

Jersey Joan - I might be around for that night of the fireworks as my hiking trip is the following week - just depends on how much travel I want to do before getting into Banff - have a few friends and relatives in the cities and towns along the way that I sometimes stop and visit.

Will continue to follow this post.

Cheers

Dennis

Tell me about Banff...did you say you were backpacking there?

By the way...saw your post regarding Canada & DUI...way to go.,

Joan