Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Does anyone have an opinion of the Listel Hotel for a night pre-cruise stay? It seems like a good location, but I am uncertain about the quality of the hotel.

Cheers,

Angela

Listel runs good properties both in Vancouver & Whistler; the Vancouver location on Robson is a good location. Robson as you move east t to Pacific Centre has some of the finest shopping in Western Canada and lots of restaurants. You will also be able to walk to the art gallery, Canada Place and even to Stanley Park. There are transit routes on Robson and the cruise terminals are about 7 to 15mins away by cab depending if you are departing from Canada Place or the Ballantyne terminal, max fare about $15.00.

However I would confess that I was rather shocked recently at the rates they were charging at the Listel and I not entirely sure that they represent good value at those rates. Others that I would consider on Robson would be the Blue Horizon and the Pacific Palisades. A little to the east there is the Holiday Inn on Howe St and the Century Plaza on Burrard St and to the west the Best Western Sands on Davie St.

Jersey:

I go out with a group called the Skyline hikers of the Canadian Rockies - I am actually one of the day hike leaders having many years of hiking experience over the years.

We don't actually backpack - our heavy duffel - up to 42 pounds goes in by horse - anything else we carry in - usually our adult beverages and cameras etc.

Here's a link to the Skyliners web site:

http://www.skylinehikers.ca/

I have been to this area before but it is so beautiful and the walk in while about 12 miles is mostly flat so it isn't all that difficult and we have all day to do it.

As for the posts on that other thread I have a friend who can't visit the states because of a mistake he made a decade ago - the process has become so difficult he has given up even thinking about applying for a permit.

Enjoy your evening

Cheers

Dennis

Thank You so much (Vickie/Bernie) for the great hotel info. I have made my list and will start checking your recommendations. We are sailing on X in Sept from Ballentine (sp) pier and I know where ever we stay we will have to take a cab. What kind of weather should we expect in late September ? Again, thanks for all the help !

We'll be arriving in Canada Place from our cruise and don't have a flight home until the next day at 11:30 am which will give us the afternoon to take in the beautiful sights of Vancouver. Any advice on where we should stay? I think I read on CC that Canada Place has a facility where you can store your luggage. I wasn't sure if it would be best to store the luggage and sightsee and then find transportation to a hotel near the airport (so we don't have to leave as early the next morning) or if it would work out better to find a hotel in the downtown area and then find transportation to the airport early the next day. Anyone have any thoughts on what might work best? I wasn't sure about traffic, transportation, etc. I've only read that it will take awhile to go through security at the airport.

Thanks for any help!

Susan

Yes you can store your baggage at Canada Place, the charge is about $5 per bag and as hotel rooms probably won’t be available for you when you arrive then that is likely the best option while you sightsee. If you are returning to the US, this is considered an international flight and you should be at the airport 2 hours before your flight time as you will clear US Customs at the airport; for domestic flights it is 1 hour. The drive time from downtown to the airport is about 45 mins. It probably doesn’t matter whether you stay downtown or out at the airport area. The room rate may just be a little lower in the airport area then downtown but there won’t be much to see out there. There is a hop on hop off bus that takes in many of the sights in the Vancouver area, here is their link http://www.bigbus.ca/ In the downtown area the range in room rates is about $150 to $400 and out at the airport somewhat less. I would suggest that you look on Hotels.com or Priceline for hotels that might interest you and then come back to this thread and we will help you with your selection if you need it.

Hi,

I am still looking for the hotel in Vancouver and it seems the hotels in downtown are expensive (we need two rooms for two nights)and so I may want to switch to Richmond area.

We will rent a van from Seattle and drive to Vancouver, could anyone tell me

1)Is richmond area safe to stay? I think after 8pm we all will stay at hotel.

2)How long does it take to drive from Richmond to Downtown? Is the traffic heavy everyday between the two places?

3)Any bridge fee to pay?

4)How about drive from Richmond to BC Ferry place?

Trying to figure out if staying in Richmond will save money or I should forget it and stay in Downtown 3.5 stars hotel (cost 159/night).

Any advice/suggestions is appreciated! Thank you.

Yes, Richmond is a safe place to stay; you won’t have any problem there. Yes, the traffic is heavy during the rush hours on weekday mornings and evenings; by 9:00 am the morning the rush tails off and similarly by 7:00 pm for the evening. Your drive time is about 30 mins +/- between the two areas. There are no bridge or tunnel fees. The drive time from Richmond to the Victoria Ferry terminal at Tsawwassen is about 30 mins but remember you want to be at the terminal a full hour before the sailing you would like to be on or buy a reservation for $15 each way. Here is BC Ferries website http://www.bcferries.com/ the schedule will change towards the end of June. I think you have got a pretty good rate downtown at $159 but check Hotels.com or Priceline for Vancouver Airport Hotels (Richmond) rates, see what you come up with and then come back to this thread and we will try to help you. My guess would be that you will be $125 to $250 in Richmond and the savings will be eroded by fuel and parking charges. However your downtown hotel may charge you for parking so that maybe a wash.

Yes, Richmond is a safe place to stay; you won’t have any problem there. Yes, the traffic is heavy during the rush hours on weekday mornings and evenings; by 9:00 am the morning the rush tails off and similarly by 7:00 pm for the evening. Your drive time is about 30 mins +/- between the two areas. There are no bridge or tunnel fees. The drive time from Richmond to the Victoria Ferry terminal at Tsawwassen is about 30 mins but remember you want to be at the terminal a full hour before the sailing you would like to be on or buy a reservation for $15 each way. Here is BC Ferries website http://www.bcferries.com/ the schedule will change towards the end of June. I think you have got a pretty good rate downtown at $159 but check Hotels.com or Priceline for Vancouver Airport Hotels (Richmond) rates, see what you come up with and then come back to this thread and we will try to help you. My guess would be that you will be $125 to $250 in Richmond and the savings will be eroded by fuel and parking charges. However your downtown hotel may charge you for parking so that maybe a wash.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I finally got the Delta vancouver airport under $100 from priceline. It takes 22 mins to vancouver downtown according to google map. Hopefully I made a right decision. Thanks for all your help.

Delta are good operators in Canada, that is a good hotel and a good location. You did extremely well at that rate. I have stayed there myself over the years and I am sure you won't be disapointed. It is located at one end of the airport but don't worry you won't hear the aircraft as long as you don't sleep with the window open. Good job!!!

Vancouver has something in the order of 500 Chinese restaurants and I am embarrassed to say that I personally can’t think of one that you can walk to from the Pan Pacific that I would recommend. There is one called the Victoria Restaurant in Royal Centre on Burrard St. about a 4 block walk from the hotel but having read some reviews lately I am not confident about it. My favourite is the Fortune Garden Seafood Restaurant at 1475 West Broadway but it is about a $15 cab fare in either direction. I am sure that one of the other Vancouverites who post on this thread will be able to help with something closer.

On your way back from Stanley Park you could hit Cardero’s which is a upscale marine pub which features a lot of fish dishes http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/home.html There is a fish restaurant in the Hyatt Regency at Burrard & Georgia Sts. just a few blocks from your hotel. Five Sails at the Pan Pacific at Canada Place and Aqua Riva adjacent Canada Place has a large selection of fish on their menus plus great views of the harbour . both are just a few blocks from your hotel. The other great one is the Cannery on Commissioner St. in east Vancouver but it will require a cab, likely a $15 to $20 fare http://www.canneryseafood.com/ Last but not least is the Salmon House in West Vancouver, on a good day there are terrific views but almost a 30 minute drive from your hotel http://www.salmonhouse.com/ That’s not all but a pretty good selection, enjoy!

Our pre-cruise accommodations are at the Centry Plaza on Burrard. Is this location a do-able walk to Stanley park and the aquarium?? or would it be very difficult to grab the bus .....

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate that you've taken the time to help us who are looking forward to visiting your beautiful city......

I think there is a comedian performing at the Century Plaza, too.

Another one would be Joe Fortes and it is only a few blocks from your hotel

Here's a link to their web site:

http://joefortes.ca/

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

BINGO! This restaurant looks wonderful! So I'll come at this a different way. We are coming into Vancouver on 7-17 at 11 a.m. Staying for the evening and leaving next day on our cruise. We like a lot of the hotels mentioned above in this thread. Which hotels would be near Joe Fortes Restaurant and the other great shops, restaurants and pubs mentioned above? I like the Century Plaza Hotel, but I'm not sure where that is in relationship to the restaurant and other things. I think we may want to go to the Park, too. You all are great! Thank you for doing this.

Virginia gal

The Century Plaza, the Blue Horizon, Holiday Inn on Howe and Pacific Palisades will put you within blocks of Joe Fortes and the shops on Robson St and Pacific Centre with the Blue Horizon and Pacific Palisades being right on Robson. On Priceline and Hotels.com you should be able get a room for under $200 however the Pacific P. may be a bit more particularly as we move into July. The Silvia Hotel is an old, but meticulously maintained, family operated, landmark hotel on English Bay and a superb location for Stanley Park but will be a bit of a hike to the heart of the shopping centre on Robson St.

Hi all you Vancouverites....

I will be arriving in Vancouver on May 7 off the Ryndam.....I am not sure if it will be at Canada Place or not. I will not be staying over in Vancouver as I want to head to Kelowna. I can't seem to find many options for getting from Vancouver to Kelowna. If I am indeed docking at Canada Place how do I get to the bus terminal if this is my only option? Is it true it is only .45 miles away? I did a search for directions where it told me this distance but it also showed the same location and distance for the airport? So now I am very confused! I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanking you in advance....

Rochelle

Hi all you Vancouverites....

I will be arriving in Vancouver on May 7 off the Ryndam.....I am not sure if it will be at Canada Place or not. I will not be staying over in Vancouver as I want to head to Kelowna. I can't seem to find many options for getting from Vancouver to Kelowna. If I am indeed docking at Canada Place how do I get to the bus terminal if this is my only option? Is it true it is only .45 miles away? I did a search for directions where it told me this distance but it also showed the same location and distance for the airport? So now I am very confused! I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanking you in advance....

Rochelle

You will be arriving at Canada Place. Your options for getting to Kelowna are renting a car, going by Grayhound Bus or Flying. If you decide to go by bus the Grayhound station is at the old CN or Via Train Station at Main & Terminal Sts and you can go by cab, probably about a $15 fare and a 10 min drive or by Sky Train our ELS. The Sky Train station is adjacent Canada Place so if you don’t have a lot of baggage you can just walk over and catch Sky Train. The cost is $2.50 and you will go to the Main or Station stop where you will get off, go down an escalator, cross Main Street to the bus depot; about a 20 to 25 min trip including the walks. If you want to fly I think your options will be Air Canada or WestJet who offer direct service to Kelowna. Your best bet there will be to either cab it to the airport, about 45 min and a $35 to $40 fare or go by Airporter. I would suggest that if you decide to fly that you don’t book anything until after 12:30 in the afternoon.

Here are links for Grayhound, the Port of Vancouver and the Airporter. I will leave you to look up the Air Canada and WestJet sites.

www.greyhound.ca/en/

http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/schedule/index.php

www.yvrairporter.com

The Century Plaza, the Blue Horizon, Holiday Inn on Howe and Pacific Palisades will put you within blocks of Joe Fortes and the shops on Robson St and Pacific Centre with the Blue Horizon and Pacific Palisades being right on Robson. On Priceline and Hotels.com you should be able get a room for under $200 however the Pacific P. may be a bit more particularly as we move into July. The Silvia Hotel is an old, but meticulously maintained, family operated, landmark hotel on English Bay and a superb location for Stanley Park but will be a bit of a hike to the heart of the shopping centre on Robson St.

Thank you very much.

Hi! My son and I are on the Amtrak train leaving Seattle in the early morning. We plan to take a taxi to get us to Princess dock. In lieu of carrying wine on the train, we would like to purchase it in Vancouver. I understand that we will need to purchase it at a government run liquor store.Would there be one nearby the cruise terminal or one somewhere on the route between the Amtrak station and the terminal? Thanks