Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Putterdude: Thanks for the information on the hotels in Burnaby.

I have another question. Where can I find information (fares, stations, schedules, etc.) on the Skytrain?

Thanks

Dirty Harry

You are welcome.

Here is the Translink website link, if you are thinking of using transit a lot during the day, consider purchasing an all day pass at most convenience store or SkyTrain stations for $9, it is good on SkyTrain, SeaBus and transit buses. You can plan your route by going to the "trip planner" drop down screen.

http://www.translink.bc.ca/

We will be flying into Vancouver and taking the complimentary shuttle run by our hotel both from the airport and then from the hotel to the cruise pier. When tipping the shuttle driver, is CAN $ preferred or would US $ be ok? If I need to have some small CAN bills on hand I can get those before we leave to save time at the airport, but if people accept American currency for tips I can skip that step.

Thanks for any insight!

We will be flying into Vancouver and taking the complimentary shuttle run by our hotel both from the airport and then from the hotel to the cruise pier. When tipping the shuttle driver, is CAN $ preferred or would US $ be ok? If I need to have some small CAN bills on hand I can get those before we leave to save time at the airport, but if people accept American currency for tips I can skip that step.

Thanks for any insight!

I am certain that anyone receiving a tip from you in US dollars will be very pleased to get it.

For many months the CDN dollar was worth more than the US dollar but that has changed in the last 6 weeks so that the US dollar is worth about 2 cents more than the CDN dollar. We no longer have 1 & 2 dollar bills in Canada having opted about 20 years ago for 1 and 2 dollar coins which we call loonies and toonies. Because of the coin a lot of US banks would prefer not to have it and you probably would have trouble getting anything smaller than a $5 bill.

I would be quite curious about the name of the hotel you are staying in as the free shuttle question is one we are often asked about and really don't have an answer to.

I am certain that anyone receiving a tip from you in US dollars will be very pleased to get it.

For many months the CDN dollar was worth more than the US dollar but that has changed in the last 6 weeks so that the US dollar is worth about 2 cents more than the CDN dollar. We no longer have 1 & 2 dollar bills in Canada having opted about 20 years ago for 1 and 2 dollar coins which we call loonies and toonies. Because of the coin a lot of US banks would prefer not to have it and you probably would have trouble getting anything smaller than a $5 bill.

I would be quite curious about the name of the hotel you are staying in as the free shuttle question is one we are often asked about and really don't have an answer to.

We opted to stay at the Hampton Inn by the airport (I believe in Richmond, not in Vancouver proper). They have a "cruise rate package" which includes free shuttle from the airport and free transportation for two to the cruise pier. The hotel also offers a free continental breakfast.

For the date we needed (mid-June) the total with tax ended up $194 CAN. Based on the info I got on this board (thanks everyone!) about hotel rates and taxi fare, this seemed like the best deal since we'll only be in town long enough to sleep and not really explore the area.

From what I've read the area around the hotel isn't the best for those wanting to go out exploring on their own, but we felt that for our purposes it would work.

We opted to stay at the Hampton Inn by the airport (I believe in Richmond, not in Vancouver proper). They have a "cruise rate package" which includes free shuttle from the airport and free transportation for two to the cruise pier. The hotel also offers a free continental breakfast.

The Downtown Hampton Inn offers a free shuttle to the cruise pier for any guest. You must sign up in the morning of the day you need the shuttle.

No airport shuttle, free or otherwise, that I am aware of.

Allright, the itin. says the Star will be in Vancouver (Canada Place) at 8:00am, debarkation starts 2 hrs after docking. Will we be early into Vancouver and get off ship at 8:00. or will debarkation start at 10:00am? Anyone have any experience with the Pacific Coastal Repositioning Cruises and have some inside info?

We are going to book AmTrak to Seattle at 6:00pm. Will we have time to rent a car at the Pan Pacific Hotel, visit the Aquarium and Stanley Park, return the car, and get to the AmTrak station? Should we book a hotel for the night and book AmTrak the next day? also, anyone ever rent a car at the Hotel on a cruise day? Lines horrible? Only 1 ship in port, so mabye not too bad?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Don

We are staying at Times Square. What restaurants do you suggest. Also, do you have a eating suggestion for our last night? We are just pain workin' folks ,so nothing outragous in price,but want some memories,too.

"We are going to book AmTrak to Seattle at 6:00pm. Will we have time to rent a car at the Pan Pacific Hotel, visit the Aquarium and Stanley Park, return the car, and get to the AmTrak station?

Exactly what time you get off the ship is unpredictable due to customs, priority disembarkation etc but you will have time to do your little mini tour. With only one ship at Canada Place it won't take long to clear the port.

You are only a couple of miles from Canada Place to Stanley Park so it won't take long to get there but I wonder if you really need a car for such a short period of time.

As this is a repositioning cruise I am going to assume that you won't have a lot of luggage - how about storing your luggage at Canada Place and either walking to the Park and aquarium along the seawall or else walk two blocks to Pender street and pick up the #19 bus - it's final stop is just a short couple of minutes walk to the Aquarium - Cost for the bus is only $2.50 per person.

When finished in the park - catch the bus back to Canada Place - retrieve your luggage walk a block and catch our Skytrain to Pacific Central Station which is the Amtrak station - only four stations from Canada Place - the transfer/ticket you got for the bus is good for 90 minutes and is good for the Skytrain as well.

Having said all that all if you still feel you need a car you might want to consider Hertz - they have a booth at the Amtrak station so you might be able to drop it there.

Another thing to keep in mind in Stanley Park is the issue of parking - for each place that you stop and want to explore you must purchase a new ticket - there is no all day parking pass for the Park and they do a pretty good job of enforcement.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

"We are staying at Times Square. What restaurants do you suggest. Also, do you have a eating suggestion for our last night? We are just pain workin' folks ,so nothing outragous in price,but want some memories,too

There are so many restaurants along the Robson and Denman corridors that I don't know where to start but here is a web site with lots of information of the West End which is where you are staying.

http://www.englishbay.com.

By wanting memories do you mean some place special that you will remember for years to come or some place that has been around for many years - for the former I will let some of the others respond - if the latter then you must try the White Spot on Georgia - about three blocks from your stay.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

We are staying at Times Square. What restaurants do you suggest. Also, do you have a eating suggestion for our last night? We are just pain workin' folks ,so nothing outragous in price,but want some memories,too.

There are a number of restaurants in close proximity to the Times Square and some would include:

White Spot On Granville, kind of an upscale Applebies

Mr. Picwicks, a fish & chip restaurant on Denman St.

Carderos, a marine pub

The Boat House, on Denman at Beach Ave, overlooks English Bay

http://www.whitespot.com/

http://www.mrpickwicks.bc.ca/

http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/home.html

http://www.boathouserestaurants.ca/2004/english_bay.htm

"We are going to book AmTrak to Seattle at 6:00pm. Will we have time to rent a car at the Pan Pacific Hotel, visit the Aquarium and Stanley Park, return the car, and get to the AmTrak station?

Exactly what time you get off the ship is unpredictable due to customs, priority disembarkation etc but you will have time to do your little mini tour. With only one ship at Canada Place it won't take long to clear the port.

You are only a couple of miles from Canada Place to Stanley Park so it won't take long to get there but I wonder if you really need a car for such a short period of time.

As this is a repositioning cruise I am going to assume that you won't have a lot of luggage - how about storing your luggage at Canada Place and either walking to the Park and aquarium along the seawall or else walk two blocks to Pender street and pick up the #19 bus - it's final stop is just a short couple of minutes walk to the Aquarium - Cost for the bus is only $2.50 per person.

When finished in the park - catch the bus back to Canada Place - retrieve your luggage walk a block and catch our Skytrain to Pacific Central Station which is the Amtrak station - only four stations from Canada Place - the transfer/ticket you got for the bus is good for 90 minutes and is good for the Skytrain as well.

Having said all that all if you still feel you need a car you might want to consider Hertz - they have a booth at the Amtrak station so you might be able to drop it there.

Another thing to keep in mind in Stanley Park is the issue of parking - for each place that you stop and want to explore you must purchase a new ticket - there is no all day parking pass for the Park and they do a pretty good job of enforcement.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Yes, very much so. Booked the AmTrak at 6:00pm (officially) and now plan on taking the bus and sky train around (didn't realise it was all so close at first).

Will likley leave luggage at Canada Place, but may just go to AmTrak and check our bags in as soon as we get off the ship. The less stops the better on the way to the station, and it may be better on my fragile nerves to not have to worry about how much extra time to allow to stop and grab our bags!

Thanks for all your help!

Don

Hi,

Sorry if this has been ask before. But I can't seem to find the answer on this thread.

What are your thoughts on the RAMADA at

7188 WESTMINSTER HIGHWAY

RICHMOND BC V6X 1A1

Thank you,

Maria

Being a resident, I have never stayed there but it is out near the airport but not really close to the airport. It does offer free shuttle to and from the airport but I don't believe to the cruise terminals. There are large number of restaurants in close proximity including a number of Chinese restaurants as Richmond has a very large Asian population. You will be 30 to 45 mins into downtown and about a $40/45 cab fare to the cruise terminals. Good safe area to stay in.

Hi helpful folks

We will be spending two to three days precruise and plan to stay at a YVR Airport hotel. We will be renting a car.

We want to travel outside of Vancouver. One area we want to explore is up Rt 99 to Whistler. Is it a pretty drive?

How about other ideas?

We do plan on spending a day in Vancouver, taking cues from this thread.

Hi helpful folks

We will be spending two to three days precruise and plan to stay at a YVR Airport hotel. We will be renting a car.

We want to travel outside of Vancouver. One area we want to explore is up Rt 99 to Whistler. Is it a pretty drive?

How about other ideas?

We do plan on spending a day in Vancouver, taking cues from this thread.

It is an absoutely fantastic drive up there. There is some constrction being done to the highway for the 2010 Winter Olympics but not enough to spoil your day. You will drive thru Vancouver, thru the Stanley Park Causeway and across the Lions Gate bridge and then along the shores of majestic Howe Sound. Once up there you will blown away by Whistler's beauty...I know I am. Plan that your drive will take 2 to 2 1/2 hrs either direction and enjoy.

For one of your days you want to consider a trip to Victoria however to do it as a day trip can be rather rushed but certainly not imposible if you catch the first ferry and restrict yourself to the Butchart Gardens and say a downtown tour.

If you choose not to go to Victoria than you certainly can easily spend two days seeing the sights of Vancouver.

You could spend at least a half of a day over on the North Shore going to the Capilano Suspension Bridge, the Capilano Fish Hatchery, the Cleveland Dam and the Grouse Mountain Skyride.

Out in Richmond where you are staying there is the restored fishing villlage of Steveston which is a scant 15 or 20 mins from your hotel.

Last but not least you could spend a whole day in Stanley Park and still not have seen it all.

Hello-

We currently have a room reserved at the Downtown Hampton Inn (Robson at Beatty). We booked this hotel because we were able to get 2 queen beds (there are 4 of us) and a continental breakfast and will only be in Vancouver for 16 hours or so.

From what I have read on this thread- and on the Hampton website- there is a free shuttle to the Ballentyne Pier (I'm going to contact the Inn to verify!)

My questions about this location:

-will we have much to pick from as far as dinner the night we arrive?

-would you walk around near the hotel at night with your family?

thanks for any info you can offer!

-JC in CA

Hi,

Sorry if this has been ask before. But I can't seem to find the answer on this thread.

What are your thoughts on the RAMADA at

7188 WESTMINSTER HIGHWAY

RICHMOND BC V6X 1A1

Thank you,

Maria

We stayed there for one night following our cruise in September 2003. The price was great and I liked the free shuttle to the airport. There we lots of places to eat nearby (easy walking distance). The room was quite clean and I thought it was comfortable enough. They had a small continental breakfast in the morning. Another treat was a beautiful park right behind the Ramada that was fantastic for an evening walk before retiring. I think it was called Moreau park or something like that.

Hello-

We currently have a room reserved at the Downtown Hampton Inn (Robson at Beatty). We booked this hotel because we were able to get 2 queen beds (there are 4 of us) and a continental breakfast and will only be in Vancouver for 16 hours or so.

From what I have read on this thread- and on the Hampton website- there is a free shuttle to the Ballentyne Pier (I'm going to contact the Inn to verify!)

My questions about this location:

-will we have much to pick from as far as dinner the night we arrive?

-would you walk around near the hotel at night with your family?

Good choice, I do believe that they do have a shuttle to the Ballantyne terminal, if not its about a $12/15 taxi ride. I am assuming you want kind of family dining place so my suggestions would be the White Spot and Georgia and Seymour, it kind of an Applebies...maybe a litttle bit upscale of them. The other one is Rossie's on Robson which is a block or two west of the HI on Robson....good casual dining and quite popular. If you want something more trendy or upscale just come back & we can help.

You are very safe walking around the neighbourhood, you will be in close proximity to BC Place Stadium which where the CFL, BC Lions play and it will be the scene of the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics; as well as GM Place which is the home of our NHL Vancouver Canucks. However, you may not want to venture west of Seymour St. and south of Robson on Granville St. with your family at night as is an entertainment district which can get a little rowdy at night. However walking north on Granville from Robson towards the water will be just fine. That will put you down towards Canada Place....you will encounter a few panhandlers but a firm but polite "no" is all that is needed.

Thanks Putterdude!

You have put my mind at ease!

I read about Rossies somewhere else- that might be a very good choice. Is there a good steak house in the area?

Our kids are teens- 14 & 19- but still- we like to be careful.

Panhandlers are a fact of life- visiting San Francisco from time to time has taught us to smile and say no.

thank you!!!!

-JC

Steak Houses in YVR:

The Keg....700 block Thurlow, just north of Robson,about 6 or 7 blocks from HI - popular price steak houses.

Hy's Encore....600 block Hornby about 6 or 7 blocks from HI...starting to get up there in price.

Gothams.....600 block Seymour 4/5 blocks from HI .... very expensive

Joe Fortes ..... 700 block Thurlow St., just north of Robson... 4/5 blocks from HI...above moderately priced steak, chops and sea food...kind of a touchstone in Vancouver.

http://www.joefortes.ca/

http://www.gothamsteakhouse.com/

http://www.hyssteakhouse.com/hys-vancouver.html

http://en.kegsteakhouse.com/locations/British_Columbia/Downtown_Vancouver/Thurlow_Keg

A couple of thoughts for you - while I agree with PD to an extent regarding the Granville Street entertainment district most of the trouble starts in the wee hours of the morning. Many of the pubs in the outlying area close around 1AM whereas Granville is either 3 or 4 AM so many of the already drunks grab the bus/sky train and head in for a couple more hours of drinking - they get to the pubs only to find them packed to capacity and lineups waiting to get in and the result is predictable. So an evening walk up to 10 or 11 PM shouldn't be to much of a problem - many of the stores along Granville like Adidas, Puma, American Apparel, Urban outfitters, future shop, winners etc are open late - your teens will probably enjoy taking them in.

There is a new steak house only a block away and next door to BC Place stadium - it's called Player's Chop House restaurant - don't know much about it but here is a link.

http://www.vancouverchophouse.ca/menus.htm

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis