April- cruise from NY or Florida?

helencw

I would like to try my first cruise the 3rd week of April when my DS 7 is out of school. We live in Brooklyn, NY, and can take car service to NJ for the 5 day RC Explorer to Bermuda, or we could fly to FLL or MIA and do a Carnival to the Caribbean. I will be on my own with DS 7.

It would be easier to cruise from NJ, but I have some concerns. Are the swimming pools on the explorer enclosed? Would it be too cold to swim on the ship? I am intrigued with the skating rink being a competitive figure skater, though I've heard that is very small. Are there any freestyle sessions for high level skaters?

Or would you recommend that we fly to Florida and cruise to warmer ports?

Thanks!

We love the convenience of sailing out of New York. It's such a pleasure to zip over to the port in a cab and be aboard in no time. There isn't an enclosed pool on the Explorer but, it's only one sea day to Bermuda where the weather will be tropical with balmy breezes.

I say skip the hassles of flying to Florida and sail with ease out of New York or New Jersey.

Jonathan

Your first cruise sets the bar for all other cruises. We made the mistake of taking a full-week cruise with a balcony for my first cruise, and my husband still wishes he put me in an inside because now I always want balconies! :p

I haven't sailed from anywhere but Florida, but know that I really prefer to not have to drive. It adds "non-vacation" time to the trip. But then you will certainly have cooler weather for at least a couple of days. The pools are not heated, so even in the Caribbean the water can be a bit refreshing at certain times of the year. It would probably be really cold out of NY. But there are plenty of other things to do on the ship, so it's not like you'll be looking for entertainment.

The skating rink is very, very small. They have free skating, but it's normally a lot of children messing around on the ice, or people out there because of the novelty. I've never seen special times for "high level" skaters, but then I've never looked for that specifically. When I do see the skating times in the Cruise Compass (daily newsletter), it just says open skating. If you do take this cruise and decide to skate, you must have socks and long pants.

You should probably spend some time looking at the ship reviews here on this site. That helped me make a decision before our first cruise, and I still come back here and check out any ships we are considering. You'll find a mix of cheerleaders and complainers, but it will give you an idea of the ship and its activities.

Thanks for your advice, everyone! DS 7 loves to stay in the pool for hours whenever possible, so I think I'd better take the advice of going where it's warmer.

This board is amazing. I have so much to learn. Thanks again!

Archived