Sleepy Bonnie???

Hope2havefun

Hi

For those of you who take Bonnie for sea sickness just wondered how sleepy it makes you or if at all. It says on the packet may cause drowsiness??? My husband is worried about getting sea sick (this is our first cruise and he has only travelled on a ferry across the English Channel before, so dont think it really compares to these enormous vessels!!)

Just dont want him sleepy every day of our hols!!!

Thanks

Hi, we took the Bonine with us because it was our first cruise and didn't know how everyone would react. We took it the first day as we were getting used to the motion and also the last because it was a little rough. None of us got drowsy though. I've taken Dramamine before, and it knocks me out so this was great! Have a wonderful time!

There are 2 kinds, the regular and the less drowsy. It makes me a little sleppy at first, I take one in the morning and one at night. But if I start it a day or two before cruising I am just fine. I get sea sick snorking! :eek: Either way, it doesnt make you drowsy to the point where you cant stay awake. Have fun!

I tried Dramamine and it floored me, I felt in a Daze the whole time! I switched to the less drowsy formula and took it at bedtime and was fine - I did make a big mistake though, about 4 days into the cruise I thought that I was fine and didnt need it anymore, WRONG! was ill to the point of not being able to leave the bathroom and it took 2 days for me to feel normal again once I started taking the meds again!

i took less drowsy bonine and it made me sleepy/ disoriented- would only take this at night now...lol

tried meclazine- no side effects at all but could not find it last time before we cruised so bought less drowsy bonine-

i prefer meclazine

def. try it before you cruise to see how it effects you personally- we are all different and will have diff effects

Hi

For those of you who take Bonnie for sea sickness just wondered how sleepy it makes you or if at all. It says on the packet may cause drowsiness??? My husband is worried about getting sea sick (this is our first cruise and he has only travelled on a ferry across the English Channel before, so dont think it really compares to these enormous vessels!!)

Thanks

Hi,

the English Channel can be just as 'rough' and the 'enormous vessels' can move just as much as the ferry.

Try the "Sea-Legs" which I believe is " Meclozine" in UK same as the 'meclizine".

I believe the Sea-Legs come in 12.5 mg - that will make anyone prone to ' being sleepy' a lilttle less than the 25 mg dose. ( I use the 25 mg - wife uses the 12.5 mg)

Wes

I just read the ingredients for the Seacure tabs and they look like made up names, but if they work for you its all good.

My dd gets seasick and she just took the bonine at night and everything worked out great.

I swear by these pills by Hylands with no side effects.

http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=2615

I buy mine at the local Rite Aid in the vitamin department.

Thanks guys for the info.

The bonnie I have bought says '4 times less drowsy than regular dramamine'. Think I will get him to take it at bed time, though, of course, it says dont mix with alcohol???? And I know for a fact that we will both be participating in a bottle of wine or 2!!!

The idea of taking one before we go is a good one. Will try that.

I also bought a pack of seabands for my husband. How many people wear them??? Its just when I showed them to him he looked at me as if to say, I'm not wearing those, I will look like a right wally!!!! I have assured him that he wont be the only one with wrist bands on!!!

:D

i took less drowsy bonine and it made me sleepy/ disoriented- would only take this at night now...lol

tried meclazine- no side effects at all but could not find it last time before we cruised so bought less drowsy bonine-

i prefer meclazine

def. try it before you cruise to see how it effects you personally- we are all different and will have diff effects

I have trouble finding plain old meclazine, too. I found mine at drugstore dot com.

Jan

DH and I took 1 Bonine/day and weren't sleepy at all nor did we get sick...However we were cranky, moody, and down right mean to each other for no reason at all. Then I realized the only thing different for us was taking the Bonine...so we stopped and we were fine, both physically and emotionally. So I guess meds effect everyone differently and at different levels. Now we bring ginger should we need it. We have seen many people wearing the sea bands and also many wearing the sea patches, behind the ear, on their arms or where ever. So tell you husband he will not be the only one wearing preventitive measures.

I have trouble finding plain old meclazine, too. I found mine at drugstore dot com.

Jan

Hi,

did you try Costco ? got 100 pills ( this time the 12.5 mg) for about 7 dol ( do not remember exactly).

Most drugstores have the larger bottles behind the counter ( to prevent the abusive usage) .... even that it is OC medicine.

Wes

Take the less drowsy at night. Start taking it 2 nights before you leave to get it in your system. Then take it every night...never been sea sick including out of Baltimore in high seas where half the dining room was empty and they were out of gingerale by the third day!!!

Bonine and "Less Drowsy Dramamine" are brand names for the drug meclizine. (Dramamine is a different drug.)

Meclizine makes me extremely sleepy. If I absolutely must take it then I take 1/2 of a 25mg tablet before bed. Even taking this very light dose I can't drink the next day or I'll fall asleep, and I am drowsy all day the next day.

I use the Trans Derm Scopolomine patch, which requires a doctor's prescription unless you live in Canada where it is available over the counter. There are also scopolomine pills. This drug has its own unique set of side-effects, but I have excellent results with it. But then, I KNOW I get seasick so I have to take some sort of medication.

The advice to try it before you sail is excellent. Have him take 1/2 or 1 pill before bed one night to see if it leaves him sleepy the next day. You might want to try it on a non-work day in case he is really sleepy.

Other choices are seabands or ginger tablets.

Good luck!

Hi

Thanks

Do you mean Bonine? I highly recommend this, but try at home before the cruise.

Jan

I took the chewable Bonine brand and it didn't make me any more drowsy, even when drinking alcohol (wine) with it. But everyone is different, so you might have a completely opposite experience.

(BTW - before drinking with any med, ask a doc or pharmacist about it. Almost all, if not all, meds say not to drink while taking them. It is mostly a precaution and may not cause effects on all ppl.)

• 1 month later...
There are 2 kinds, the regular and the less drowsy. It makes me a little sleppy at first, I take one in the morning and one at night. But if I start it a day or two before cruising I am just fine. I get sea sick snorking! :eek: Either way, it doesnt make you drowsy to the point where you cant stay awake. Have fun!

I thought I was the only one in the world who gets sea sick snorkling! I have told people this and they lok at me like I'm crazy!:rolleyes:

Dramamine Original

Average cost: $4 for 12 pills

Active ingredient: 50mg Dimenhydrinate

Drug class: Antihistamine

Uses:

Reduces allergic symptoms such as hay fever, hives, rash or itching;

Prevents motion sickness, nausea, vomiting;

Relieves symptoms associated with the common cold;

Induces sleep.

What the drug does:

Blocks action of histamine after an allergic response triggers histamine release in sensitive cells. Histamines cause itching, sneezing, runny nose and eyes and other symptoms.

Appears to work in the vomiting center of the brain to control nausea and vomiting and help prevent motion sickness.

Skin and Sunlight: May cause rash or intensify sunburn in areas exposed to the sun.

Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL

Average cost:

Dramamine Less Drowsy: $4 for 8 Pills

Bonine: $7 for 16 pills

Meclizine HCL: $7 for 100 pills

Active Ingredient in all three: 25mg Meclizine Hydrocloride

Drug class: Antiemetic, antihistamine, anti-motion sickness.

Uses: Prevents motion sickness and treatment for Vertigo.

What the drug does:

Reduces sensitivity of nerve endings in inner ear and blocks messages to brain’s vomiting center.

Skin and sunlight: No problems expected.

As you can see, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL are identical. You are paying for the “Brand” name. Buying the generic Meclizine HCL will save you a whole bunch of money.

Archived