Sweet 16 vs. 6135 on M class

sealover155

So, how great are those sweet 16's? We've had regular CC's and aft CC's (our favorite, of course) but if the afts aren't available but 6135 is, is it worth $800 more than a sweet 16?

This is for Infinity South America so I'm slightly concerned about being too far forward in potentially rough seas. The CC extras are not that significant to us and we managed pretty well in a 170sq. ft. CC on Century so the space is not that much of an issue.

But for $800, we could have a lot of fun in the Martini Bar.

Mary Anne

We've landed aft CCs for several M-class cruises, and were in a sweet 16 last time. The cabin is a little smaller than a CC, with less storage it seemed to us, but the veranda made up for it. If veranda size is very important to you, then a sweet 16 is a good choice.

6135 is a great cabin. Excellent location, much better veranda. When we had a sweet 16, there were just two chairs and a small table. 6135 had a larger veranda, two lounge chairs, two regular chairs and a dining height table. I would spring for the extra cost.

So, how great are those sweet 16's? We've had regular CC's and aft CC's (our favorite, of course) but if the afts aren't available but 6135 is, is it worth $800 more than a sweet 16?

This is for Infinity South America so I'm slightly concerned about being too far forward in potentially rough seas. The CC extras are not that significant to us and we managed pretty well in a 170sq. ft. CC on Century so the space is not that much of an issue.

But for $800, we could have a lot of fun in the Martini Bar.

Mary Anne

We've done both and there's no way I'd spend $800 more for 6135. We were on Constellation last month and had a sweet 16 (6030). We had some rough seas and I felt absolutely no movement in our cabin. The balcony was quite large (they do not allow loungers on any of the side cabins anymore, I'm told...just suites and aft cabin balconies have loungers).

I'd take the sweet 16 and save yourself $800.

Jo-Ann

If you're booking South America for the 2008/2009 winter season (Nov-Feb) I'd definitely 6135 now while you have the chance. IMO the $800 price difference between CC and cat 2 will grow less and less as time goes on.

Do a search on refunds from price drops witinn 60 days of sailing and you'll see what I mean. On many occasions cat 2 cabins sell out much faster than Concierge Class. In the end, Celebrity is left with a glut of unsold CC category, and drops the prices accordingly. Just my observation and past experience.

So my take is the $800 difference you're looking at now won't be $800 difference 30 days prior to sailing. Grab 6135!

If you're booking South America for the 2008/2009 winter season (Nov-Feb) I'd definitely 6135 now while you have the chance. IMO the $800 price difference between CC and cat 2 will grow less and less as time goes on.

Do a search on refunds from price drops witinn 60 days of sailing and you'll see what I mean. On many occasions cat 2 cabins sell out much faster than Concierge Class. In the end, Celebrity is left with a glut of unsold CC category, and drops the prices accordingly. Just my observation and past experience.

So my take is the $800 difference you're looking at now won't be $800 difference 30 days prior to sailing. Grab 6135!

Excellent, sound advice! When the price drops in CC you can get the adjustment.:)

Just to put a spanner in the works, in my 6 cruises, I've never had the price of the cabin go down, they always go up by about $500-$800.

But I would go with 6135. I think they are in the area of the "real" suites and you will have the same attendant that handles the suites. They seem to be the elite of the attendants for that location. We had 6143 on Constellation and loved all the pampering.

Just to put a spanner in the works, in my 6 cruises, I've never had the price of the cabin go down, they always go up by about $500-$800.

Gotta love a good spin! So the question is do you cruise the same region repeatedly (such as Caribbean) or all over the globe(Alaska, Europe, Panama Canal, Transatlantic, etc)? As to South America, specifically, this past winter I was noticing rate reductions (including happy hour sales) repeatedly throughout the season, and more specifically. We're sailing Summit Transatlantic this weekend and I've noticed a number of price drops in CC class over the past two months. Last year, same thing with our Infinity cruise to Alaska.

Thanks to all of you for your insight into this serious dilemma! I never thought that the price might drop between now and then - it seems that the price drops on our previous cruises have been for new bookings only. But I will certainly look out for that.

We're probably going to go for the 6135 - the point about the quality of cabin service is worth considering although we've always had very good service on all of our X cruises. And, the extra storage and space in the CC is more significant for a 14 day cruise with many climate changes than on a shorter 1-climate cruise.

Safe travels to all,

Mary Anne

I hate to be a downer, but our worst cabin attendant ever was while we were in 6135 on Summit. We loved the cabin, but the attendant seemed to go out of her way to make our lives more difficult, and this was on our honeymoon. My husband says that he wishes our tips weren't prepaid because she would have gotten nothing.

She would do things like throw out our filled out Customs card, not give us the comment card after THREE requests, threw away luggage tags (all placed neatly on nighttable, not anywhere near garbage!), would not clean the room in a timely manner (we'd be out of the room at 9am and our room would not be made up until midafternoon, or we'd go to dinner and the room would not be made when we returned), and ignored simple little requests like for additional bath towels, even when we repeatedly asked again. The last straw was when I got home and found $40 in minibar charges and $100 missing bathrobe charges, and we had never used the minibar or the bathrobes. We hadn't gone to Guest Relations and complained because we didn't want to get her in trouble, but I was so mad when I saw these charges that I told the customer service agent everything.

Fortunately, she's been the only really bad cabin attendant we ever had.

Thanks to all of you for your insight into this serious dilemma! I never thought that the price might drop between now and then - it seems that the price drops on our previous cruises have been for new bookings only. But I will certainly look out for that.

Price drops come in several forms.

1. Celebrity simply lowers the cost of cat CC. Their current policy allows for fare adjustments, even after final payment is made

2. Resident/Senior fares. If you ever see such a rate offered, and you qualify, Celebrity will adjust your fare accordingly, even after final payment. In order to monitor these fares, be sure and check the appropriate boxes on Celebrity's website for such rates to display.

3. Happy Hour sales (or whatever they call them now). There are always valid for new bookings only, so fare reductions to existing bookings won't happen.

4. Any other promotional offer -- simply check the rules & restrictions. If they're valid only for new bookings, they'll specifiy it in the fine print.

(We've done both and there's no way I'd spend $800 more for 6135. We were on Constellation last month and had a sweet 16 (6030). We had some rough seas and I felt absolutely no movement in our cabin. The balcony was quite large (they do not allow loungers on any of the side cabins anymore, I'm told...just suites and aft cabin balconies have loungers).

Oh darn it..we have 6030 on Millenium April 6th and I was hoping for the loungers. Oh well..maybe they can just give us two more regular chairs so we can at least put our feet up.

Gotta love a good spin! So the question is do you cruise the same region repeatedly (such as Caribbean) or all over the globe(Alaska, Europe, Panama Canal, Transatlantic, etc)? As to South America, specifically, this past winter I was noticing rate reductions (including happy hour sales) repeatedly throughout the season, and more specifically. We're sailing Summit Transatlantic this weekend and I've noticed a number of price drops in CC class over the past two months. Last year, same thing with our Infinity cruise to Alaska.

All over the Globe! I very seldom go back to the same location a second time. I have to really be in love with the area (Alaska, Australia, Hawaii, Hungary) to think of repeating. The Med cruise is for my dear friend to see Italy and Greece, as I've already done land trips there, and probably wouldn't return if she didn't want to see it. I was thinking Baltics, when she threw Italy & Greece out there.

I have done one land trip to Jamaica and one cruise out of San Juan to St. Martin and St. Thomas, nothing in the Caribbean for me to bother going back.

I hate to be a downer, but our worst cabin attendant ever was while we were in 6135 on Summit. We loved the cabin, but the attendant seemed to go out of her way to make our lives more difficult, and this was on our honeymoon. My husband says that he wishes our tips weren't prepaid because she would have gotten nothing.

She would do things like throw out our filled out Customs card, not give us the comment card after THREE requests, threw away luggage tags (all placed neatly on nighttable, not anywhere near garbage!), would not clean the room in a timely manner (we'd be out of the room at 9am and our room would not be made up until midafternoon, or we'd go to dinner and the room would not be made when we returned), and ignored simple little requests like for additional bath towels, even when we repeatedly asked again. The last straw was when I got home and found $40 in minibar charges and $100 missing bathrobe charges, and we had never used the minibar or the bathrobes. We hadn't gone to Guest Relations and complained because we didn't want to get her in trouble, but I was so mad when I saw these charges that I told the customer service agent everything.

Fortunately, she's been the only really bad cabin attendant we ever had.

Pardon me for asking, but what does this have to do with the OP booking 6135 on the Infinity?

As for the unfortunate experience with your CA on Summit, you should not have hestitated to speak with the assistant chief housekeeper to voice your concerns. This is exactly where the ACH's duties come into play and - IMO - precisely how and why they earn their $0.50/day pp suggested gratuity.

As for not wanting to get her in trouble? Sorry, I don't feel you did her any favors by not speaking out. Poor service by crew members do eventually come to light, and its to their own benefit to improve their work ethics (not to mention the benefit to future passengers who also would have had to endure the same experience that you did).

Sealover, we once got upgraded to a sweet 16 from an oceanview. The balcony was at least twice as large as a normal balcony but most of the balcony was overlooked by the cabin above so privacy was minimal.

Ouch! I've never heard about that privacy issue but that might be a deal breaker for me. I've also just heard that 6143 and 6144 on Millennium have no cover or privacy from above but the other M class ships do.

Sorry Susie about your cabin attendant on Summit but I doubt that all who attend those staterooms are as inept. I agree that you might have involved the Asst. Housekeeper.

Back to privacy, do all sweet 16's have the same issue? We didn't mind some view from above on the aft cabins as there was enough coverage from the balcony right beyond the stateroom. Is it a similar situation?

Thanks, again, for your input.

Mary Anne

Pardon me for asking, but what does this have to do with the OP booking 6135 on the Infinity?

As for the unfortunate experience with your CA on Summit, you should not have hestitated to speak with the assistant chief housekeeper to voice your concerns. This is exactly where the ACH's duties come into play and - IMO - precisely how and why they earn their $0.50/day pp suggested gratuity.

As for not wanting to get her in trouble? Sorry, I don't feel you did her any favors by not speaking out. Poor service by crew members do eventually come to light, and its to their own benefit to improve their work ethics (not to mention the benefit to future passengers who also would have had to endure the same experience that you did).

I think her point was that just because she had a cabin nestled in between suites doesn't necessarily guarantee a great cabin attendant. I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

As far as privacy issues with a sweet 16, we had cabin 6030 on Constellation lat month and half the balcony was covered, half was open. If you stood at the open end of the balcony and looked up and behind you, you could see people above, but not very well. And if they were sitting on a chair on their balcony, it's not like they can peer into your balcony. Only if you are standing on the open part near the railing. Since the balcony is quite large and half is covered and half is open, it was the perfect solution for us.

With the sweet 16 cabin, 1/2 of the double balcony is covered, and 1/2 is open. You have every bit as much privacy on the sweet 16s balconies as you do any other 2Cs, it's just that you have a balcony that's fully twice as deep. (oops, I see jerseygirl3 pretty much answered that!

Hi Taralin,

We were in SS 1226. If you are lucky enough to have Salome (attendant) and Nelson (Butler), please say hello to them from Joe and David in Dallas. They were fantastic!

P.S. Regarding putting your feet up.....There are ottoman type stools that are part of the chair set, so you can definitely put your feet up!

Hi Taralin,

We were in SS 1226. If you are lucky enough to have Salome (attendant) and Nelson (Butler), please say hello to them from Joe and David in Dallas. They were fantastic!

P.S. Regarding putting your feet up.....There are ottoman type stools that are part of the chair set, so you can definitely put your feet up!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Good to know about the stools! Thanks..I am so looking forward to it. (WOOHOO)

..and if I see Salome and Nelson, I will pass on your regards.

I think her point was that just because she had a cabin nestled in between suites doesn't necessarily guarantee a great cabin attendant. I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

That's exactly what I meant, thanks.

Again, my thanks to you all. The balcony, size and privacy, is important to both of us even on a trip like this where we will, no doubt, encounter some

bad weather. So, now it's just a question of whether or not we feel we need a bit more size and space in the cabin. I'll leave it up to my husband to decide. And, no matter what, we will still have fun in the Martini Bar!

Mary Anne

You say the price difference is $800. Is that for the cabin? I have an aft reserved for 4 weeks in March on the Infinity, and had one not been available, I would have taken 6135,36 or 6143,44 rather than one of the sweet 16 cabins. Room size and balcony size on long cruises are very important.

Archived