Carnival-no thanks

ktravis

I think I would like HAL. Looking into them for next year for my 50th birthday. :eek::D

Will definitely take a look at your pics. Let me know when you are finished uploading them.

Sandi, they're loaded. Many of the ones for the interior of the ship are lacking.

Sandi, they're loaded. Many of the ones for the interior of the ship are lacking.

Great pictures Gordon. The ship looks beautiful. I see it's pretty much the same layout as the Spirit class of Carnival. Was that your cabin? You could have a party out on the balcony, it was huge. Nice loungers and a table and chairs. I like the lido restaurant. Very elegant. The whole ship looks just beautiful. How were the activities?

Great pictures Gordon. The ship looks beautiful. I see it's pretty much the same layout as the Spirit class of Carnival. Was that your cabin? You could have a party out on the balcony, it was huge. Nice loungers and a table and chairs. I like the lido restaurant. Very elegant. The whole ship looks just beautiful. How were the activities?

It is basically the same layout as the Spirit class with some minor changes.

That was our cabin. One of the best that we have had to date. The only negative was the weather. It was very cool on this cruise and hard to get good use of the balcony.

One thing about the Vista class on HAL, all balcony cabins and higher have a bath tub as a standard feature. Also all cabins on the ship get the Elemis personal products for the bathroom. A nice touch. You can also dine in your cabin by ordering off of the dining room menu regardless of cabin category. The activities are a little more laid back but still plenty to do. Again this can change depending on the length of the cruise.

It is basically the same layout as the Spirit class with some minor changes.

That was our cabin. One of the best that we have had to date. The only negative was the weather. It was very cool on this cruise and hard to get good use of the balcony.

One thing about the Vista class on HAL, all balcony cabins and higher have a bath tub as a standard feature. Also all cabins on the ship get the Elemis personal products for the bathroom. A nice touch. You can also dine in your cabin by ordering off of the dining room menu regardless of cabin category. The activities are a little more laid back but still plenty to do. Again this can change depending on the length of the cruise.

It's too bad the weather wasn't so good because that balcony looked fabulous.

Yes I read that HAL puts the Elemis products in their cabins. That's a great feature.

It's too bad they are taking their ships out of NY because that would have been so easy for us. They were in the Brooklyn terminal in Red Hook and that is even a shorter cab ride for us then the Manhattan pier. Oh well...I'm still going to look into sailing with them even if I have to fly down to FL.

I hate the whole arguement over what cruiseline is better. There is a cruiseline out there for everyone. I prefer RC. Tried Carnival...wasn't impressed. But for the right deal, I'd give them another try. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They aren't wrong. It is their opinion based on personal experience. I live near Tampa, and for the longest time Carnival was the only line. So, as a result I tried the Inspiration and wasn't impressed. Since then, RC has added some ships to the port and I can't wait to enjoy them.

Hi...I have been on RCCL, Carnival and Celebrity cruises. We went on the Carnival Miracle and it was absolutely fantastic. I was a little leery about Carnival...but you can't beat the price. I personally like sailing on the newer ships. Our RCCL and Carnival cruises were on new ships and they were super duper la dee da! We went on a Celebrity cruise (Century) last year and it was lovely, but compared to the other two it was absolutely "sedate."

Carnival had one crazy party at the pool one night, but other than that it was a good cross-section of ages and everything was outstanding.

Take a cruise on one of the newer Carnival ships and I bet you have a great time.

Hi...I have been on RCCL, Carnival and Celebrity cruises. We went on the Carnival Miracle and it was absolutely fantastic. I was a little leery about Carnival...but you can't beat the price. I personally like sailing on the newer ships. Our RCCL and Carnival cruises were on new ships and they were super duper la dee da! We went on a Celebrity cruise (Century) last year and it was lovely, but compared to the other two it was absolutely "sedate."

Carnival had one crazy party at the pool one night, but other than that it was a good cross-section of ages and everything was outstanding.

Take a cruise on one of the newer Carnival ships and I bet you have a great time.

We were on the Miracle last year and love it as well. They had a Mexican deck party the night we left San Juan but it wasn't wild and crazy or anything like that. People were dancing and having fun. We stayed about 45 minutes. It started at midnight so we were very tired after walking around San Juan. they had a beautiful buffet set up too with all sorts of Mexican foods. I would sail the Miracle again in a heartbeat that's how much we loved it.:D

the Miracle is a spirit class ship-it holds a third less people then the Carnival conquest class, but yet has the same amount of pools and lounges, so although I have not been on the conquest class-it has to be a much better experience.

My problems is I hate crowds and congestion and on my Mariner of the Seas cruise we had 3700 PAX, (so many staterooms had 4 instead of 2) and it was very congested nights on the RP and sea days by the pools.

The following year we were on the Caribbean Princess and although that cruise had 3100 PAX, it never felt congested, the lounges and even the dinnngrooms were spread out over ths ship, there is a centrum area, with a few of the lounges, but many more lounges were spread out further away and on other decks. That kept it from being congested. Plus it had 5 pools and the voyager class ships only have 3 pools.

I took a cruise on the Miracle in 04 and I loved her. Although in some areas you still saw the loud decor, it was much more subdued then other Carnival ships I have been on. Since that ship also had less PAX, but plenty of entertainment areas also, it never felt congested.

I hate the whole arguement over what cruiseline is better. There is a cruiseline out there for everyone. I prefer RC. Tried Carnival...wasn't impressed. But for the right deal, I'd give them another try. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They aren't wrong. It is their opinion based on personal experience. I live near Tampa, and for the longest time Carnival was the only line. So, as a result I tried the Inspiration and wasn't impressed. Since then, RC has added some ships to the port and I can't wait to enjoy them.

The Inspiration was my worst Carnival cruise. Now we had been on Fascination a few years before, (out of san Juan, southern caribbean) so it was not the ship's design. We just felt the food and entertainment was a dud.

Our guess was it was becuase we crusied her in early December and got one of those of-season bargain fares, but maybe not, several posts I have read have said the same thing and they did not cruise her in the bargain months.

We cruised the Miracle 4 months later and whoa-the CONTRAST- between the 2 cruises-we could not believe. But we also paid much more for the Miracle cruise-that is why we figured it was because of cruising during a bargain month-plus the differance in crusing a brand new ship-Miracle was only 6 weeks old when we cruised her- and a older ship, at that time- Inspiration was 8 years old when we crusied her in Dec. 03.

Now that I have read so many posts I wonder if it is the ship itself. We have taken 4 Carnival crusies and that is the only one we did not particualry enjoy.

We had a party like that on the Celebrity Zenith. We did that what do you call it-a mombo line? You know like Carnival does at dinner-now Celebrity never has anything more then the Baked Alaska parade at dinner-but they did have that fun little party by the pool one night with the buffet.

We were all givens leas (spelled? the Hawaiian flower necklaces) and any drinks you ordered came in a "coconut" souveneir glass. We loved that little party. Definetely not a "wild" party just a fun little party!

I've never been to one of the pool parties. I'm just doing other things in the evening, I guess.

I happen to love the Fantasy-class ships. Of course, they're all different, even though they're identical, if you know what I mean!

I like the layout. They aren't too huge. They may not have the supper club, but I've been fine just eating in the dining room for dinner.

I suspect the Glory will be WAY more ship than I like with WAY too many people. But on a ship that size, I know I'll be able to find somewhere to sit and relax.

But I am looking forward to sailing on Fascination in December, simply because I can't wait to return to HMC.

I'm looking at Pride for May 2009. I'm delighted that another Spirit class ship will be heading to Florida. Pride Eastern, then maybe Legend Western in December 2009? I'll be Platinum after that! DD will have graduated from college by then (finally!) and I may even have enough disposable income to not only sail twice a year but fund my retirement! ;)

There was a couple on our Roll Call on Miracle who sail multiple times a year (they organize group trips). They are currently on a Panama Canal cruise. They sail all lines. After getting to know me a little on Miracle, she advised me that I'd probably find HAL too sedate for my style. I'm 55! I drink, I gamble, I dance, but I'm not a fall-down-and-puke partier. :o

I'm sure I'd like the ships, but as I noted, I'm about the itinerary, so I'll just stick with Carnival until I've had my fill.

The Inspiration was my worst Carnival cruise. Now we had been on Fascination a few years before, (out of san Juan, southern caribbean) so it was not the ship's design. We just felt the food and entertainment was a dud.

Our guess was it was becuase we crusied her in early December and got one of those of-season bargain fares, but maybe not, several posts I have read have said the same thing and they did not cruise her in the bargain months.

We cruised the Miracle 4 months later and whoa-the CONTRAST- between the 2 cruises-we could not believe. But we also paid much more for the Miracle cruise-that is why we figured it was because of cruising during a bargain month-plus the differance in crusing a brand new ship-Miracle was only 6 weeks old when we cruised her- and a older ship, at that time- Inspiration was 8 years old when we crusied her in Dec. 03.

Now that I have read so many posts I wonder if it is the ship itself. We have taken 4 Carnival crusies and that is the only one we did not particualry enjoy.

I agree. I'd give them another shot. The Inspiration is an older ship in their fleet, but then again...so are the RCCL ships I've cruised with. So apples to apples. But, the Inspiration was gaudy, food was subpar, guests were somewhat rude and louder than we've experienced with RCCL, and all in all...we just didn't enjoy them as much as RCCL. So we switched back. We live so close to Tampa that I'd be foolish not to try them again for the right price. But this time, I'll make sure to try a newer ship.

I agree. I'd give them another shot. The Inspiration is an older ship in their fleet, but then again...so are the RCCL ships I've cruised with. So apples to apples. But, the Inspiration was gaudy, food was subpar, guests were somewhat rude and louder than we've experienced with RCCL, and all in all...we just didn't enjoy them as much as RCCL. So we switched back. We live so close to Tampa that I'd be foolish not to try them again for the right price. But this time, I'll make sure to try a newer ship.

I recommend you try one of the Spirit Class ships (Legend, Miracle, Pride and Spirit).

from the Carnival website.

30 percent of its passengers are under 35, 40 percent are between 35 and 55, and 30 percent are over 55. So you see they are not only for the young crowd. 40% are in the 35 to 55 age bracket.

Carnival is for ALL ages....not only the party hardy. I don't care what your TA says.

Hi folks, I am new here and would like some opinions. I have a couple friends that want to go on a singles cruise and they want me to with them and being as how I have went on one cruise I am the guy who gets to find the right one. Any ideas on any agencys to talk to or better yet stay away from? I already got an email from one claiming the will set up a singles event on this labor day weekend with carnival Long Beach to Ensenada and back 3 day trip. Any ideas about a weekend singles cruise for the party animal types here in S. California?

Hi folks, I am new here and would like some opinions. I have a couple friends that want to go on a singles cruise and they want me to with them and being as how I have went on one cruise I am the guy who gets to find the right one. Any ideas on any agencys to talk to or better yet stay away from? I already got an email from one claiming the will set up a singles event on this labor day weekend with carnival Long Beach to Ensenada and back 3 day trip. Any ideas about a weekend singles cruise for the party animal types here in S. California?

We can't mention the names of travel agencies on this site but I'm sure if you look on google you will find many.

Stick with the short 3 day cruises as they are more geared for what you are looking for. Other than that, I can't help you because my husband and I are in our very late 40's and are not the party animal types. :p

Just keep reading these boards and you will gather a lot of info.

Why can we not get any ships on a full time basis except Carnival, from Galveston?

Hang in there, if I am not mistaken, Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas will be based full-time in Galveston starting in 2009.

I have my personal reasons too for not sailing on Carnival. If I do it will only be as a last option. For example, either I sail on her with my family or I miss out totally on a cruise. We each have our own reasons. What works for some just doesn't work for others and I respect that. As I am sure the majority of you here at the Cruise Critic community will agree with me.

Yes, I have sailed with them and will not do it again. I have sailed RC and Princess as well and would sail either of them again.

The ship and/or line does not make the cruise, you do. Sailed Carnival and RCI, both about the same. We just find that each ship, although similar, very different. We like some things on RCI, and some on Carnival. In today's economy, DW and I look at price more than we used to, and find Carnival best for our budget.

Hang in there, if I am not mistaken, Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas will be based full-time in Galveston starting in 2009.

I have my personal reasons too for not sailing on Carnival. If I do it will only be as a last option. For example, either I sail on her with my family or I miss out totally on a cruise. We each have our own reasons. What works for some just doesn't work for others and I respect that. As I am sure the majority of you here at the Cruise Critic community will agree with me.

Voyager is scheduled to return to Europe in 09. No year round ship in Galveston for the time being when it comes to RCI.

I've only been on the Spirit class Carnival ships. Legend and Miracle and found them to be very easy to navigate and they were not crowded. Maybe it was just a fluke, but both cruises were great. I didn't find either ship dirty, as a matter of fact they were spotless. The service we received was fabulous. Do you think that maybe I just got lucky?

Nope. We sailed the Legend on our honeymoon over Christmas 2004. My first Carnival experience and, frankly, I was a little nervous. Found the ship clean, easy to navigate, the room was fantastic and roomy, staff was friendly and efficient, food was much better than I'd anticipated. Their specialty restaurant, which included a 3 pc. band and dance floor, was the best I've experienced. I'd go on Carnival's Spirit class ships again in a heartbeat!:)

well you know I took 2 sovereign to the Seas crusies, two years apart. the first crusie I LOVED, the second had soem wild college students acting up before 8 pm and we also experienced an obnoxious drunk in the dinning room.

On my four carnival crusies I have never experienced this, though may say they have experienced much worse.

My thinking is you never know WHO your fellow PAX will be and I guess it is the luck of the draw WHO happens to be cruising with you. (though I did feel the second SOS crusie being a 3 day weekend did contribute to it being worse)

as far as decor on ships, yep those fanasty class ships are gaudy for sure, I did not like Fascination's either although I enjoyed the actual cruise much better. But I have not found RCI's ships to have outstanding decor, except for the lovely chandlier in the Mariner of the Seas diningroom. When I compare Mariner of the Seas to Carnival Miracle, which is much more subdued in it's decor compared to a fanasty class ship, Mariner of the seas only gets a little edge in their decor.

I have only been on two ships I found the decor really beautiful. Both Disney Wonder and HAL Statendam had lots of teak, marble, and highly polished brass , plus some very beautiful art pieces. They both had the "feel" of an oceanliner of old. After those two ships, the ship with the nicest decor would be Celebrity Constellation.

But I will be honest with you, I have yet to see a ship that I would want my home to be decorated like it. I really do not pick a ship by decor.

Nope. We sailed the Legend on our honeymoon over Christmas 2004. My first Carnival experience and, frankly, I was a little nervous. Found the ship clean, easy to navigate, the room was fantastic and roomy, staff was friendly and efficient, food was much better than I'd anticipated. Their specialty restaurant, which included a 3 pc. band and dance floor, was the best I've experienced. I'd go on Carnival's Spirit class ships again in a heartbeat!:)

We did the supper club on the Miracle and it was wonderful as well. I would equate it to a fine dining establishment here in NY City. Except much easier on the pocketbook. :D

Wow, we have sailed NCL, RCCL, Princess, HAL, and Carnival. Hate RCCL (terrible food, service, and entertainment - worst cruise ever!), like NCL, really like Princess, HAL was o.k. but very tiny cabins, and really, really like Carnival. We have never, ever thought of Carnival as a 24/7 hardy party cruiseline. We actually saw a lot more party hardy passengers on RCCL than on any other line. It's great though that everyone has their own opinion and often different than ours, isn't it - otherwise we'd all be on the same ship. We'll be on our third Carnival cruise in Jan. 09 - and just loved our Destiny and Valor experiences.

Wow, we have sailed NCL, RCCL, Princess, HAL, and Carnival. Hate RCCL (terrible food, service, and entertainment - worst cruise ever!), like NCL, really like Princess, HAL was o.k. but very tiny cabins, and really, really like Carnival. We have never, ever thought of Carnival as a 24/7 hardy party cruiseline. We actually saw a lot more party hardy passengers on RCCL than on any other line. It's great though that everyone has their own opinion and often different than ours, isn't it - otherwise we'd all be on the same ship. We'll be on our third Carnival cruise in Jan. 09 - and just loved our Destiny and Valor experiences.

You had a tiny cabin on HAL?????? What ship? HAL has some of the biggest staterooms of all the lines. Only Disney give syou comparable staterooms. I think you mean Princess. both Princess and RCI the cabins are not big enough unless you book a minsuite/juniorsuite. Each line has a differant name for it but I am referring to the catagory above a standard balcony.

While I do not agree w/ the OP re: Carnival, I DO wish that Galveston would be have more choices. We usually cruise out of Galveston since we live in Houston - no brainer, cost-wise. Every cruise, the ship is always full so having more choices would give more people a chance to cruise, right? I do want to try Voyager out of Galveston - maybe next time! We leave on the Conquest next week.

A tiny cabin on HAL??? Which ship and which cabin????

Archived