Copper Canyon tour?

crazy canuck

We took the Copper Canyon Excursion in November 2005 and thought it was a spectacular train ride. It was a one time opportunity, since we probably would never be taking a full blown tour of the canyon, which takes several days and is expensive. The weather was pristine...we were very lucky. It was a long day, but I have fond memories when I look at the baskets I purchased from the Tarahumara Indians. I feel you take this trip for the train ride. Be sure to sit on the right hand side of the train going up, because on the return trip in November, it will be dark. Have a wonderful cruise!

Karen

I was very excited to do this tour but in the end I was dissapointed. It was a very long day (expected) and I just didn't think it was worth the time commitment. Trying to get pictures was also very difficult. You had to take them between the train cars. There were some rude people camped out there and wouldn't let you in for 2 seconds. I asked politely to be let in and this guy told me when there is something for you to take a picture of I will let you in. Another time I had to squish between people to get a picture...again...they wouldn't move. I agree with the other poster however...the right side is the best.

It was a very long and exhausting trip ... and, at the same time, a WONDERFUL trip! It really is a "must-do" if you have any interest in seeing such sights.

If you would like to see my photo gallery of this trip, check it out here:

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/ryndam2007/PhotoAlbum209.html

Yes, for sure check it out. Honestly these pictures are so excellent I don't feel I gained anything by going. That said, if I didn't go I'm sure I would have regretted it!

I just did this tour a couple of weeks ago and have mixed thoughts. It is a spectacular train ride and the canyon is impressive but it is a long expensive trip. I thought that the time passed pretty quickly except for the last bus ride back to the ship. I spent a fair amoount of time trying to take photos from the train but with all the rocking and trackside brush it was hard. Also spent a fair amount of time outside on the return trip just enjoying the sunset and fresh air. Overall I'd say I'm glad that I did it but feel it was still overpriced. I'd glady give up all of the "meals" they provided for $100 off the tour.

We did that cruise a few years ago. My family did not do the excursion because it was long and expensive and I get violently train sick. I regret that we didn't do it. There is nothing in the town to see, so either do Copper canyon or stay on the ship.

I'd glady give up all of the "meals" they provided for $100 off the tour.

That made me laugh:D . I think those meals were only worth about $2 with the exception of the food at the Canyon itself. Maybe $5 for that.:D

I am a ex crew member of the Ryndam and have done 1 season the sailings to Tobolobampo. The cruise is really amazing especially the ports in the Sea of Cortez, very small and not overloaded with tourists.

I have never done the Copper Canyon Tour, but some of my fellow crew members (complimentary) and many passengers I got to know.

All did say: It was a very long and exhausting day, over prized, for sure some rude passengers, who thought the train is theirs, some got even sick. Happy to have done it: Yes Would they do it again: NO!

80% of the guests just did complain, since they did expect a lot more from the Canyon and more comfort. Remember you are in Mexico and not in the US!

Be sure if you do it, you know you are picked up from the ship by 5:30a to 6a and will be back not before midnight.

We did that cruise a few years ago. My family did not do the excursion because it was long and expensive and I get violently train sick. I regret that we didn't do it. There is nothing in the town to see, so either do Copper canyon or stay on the ship.

KKMKEM, perhaps that was the case when you did the cruise a few years ago, but that was not exactly the case when we cruised on the Ryndam a few weeks ago. Although there is nothing to see in Topolobampo, there are other opportunities to sightsee or visit a beach. There is a shuttle to Los Mochis for people who want to just wander about town, and another shuttle to a nice beach. In addition to the Copper Canyon excursion, there were also several other ship's excursions that were offered. We did an excursion that included a river float trip, lunch and entertainment by some local dancers. It was a very pleasant trip. When we arrived back at the port, there was entertainment provided there as well. So, for those who do not choose to do Copper Canyon, whether due to the time commitment or the price, there are other options than staying on the ship.

Archived