Grand Princess on Fire

etoile

is the next sailing still on? USatoday reports the grand will need repairs.

UPDATE, 1:45 P.M.: It looks like the damage to the Grand Princess from last night's incident is worse than originally thought. Princess spokeswoman Julie Benson tells USA TODAY the engine that failed will remain out of action for at least the rest of this week's cruise and is now scheduled to undergo repairs when the ship returns to Ft. Lauderdale.

Benson also revealed more details about last night's incident, which it turns out affected more than one of the ship's six engines. The problem began with the failure of a turbo charger casing on one of the engines, which automatically shut down, she says. But "the transfer of electrical load to the ship's other engines resulted in further turbo charger problems, and, as a result, one turbo charger on (another engine) seized, causing smoke in the engine spaces."

Benson says the ship's engineers were able to vent the smoke out of the ship and stablize the situation, but the vessel only was able to muster power from three of it six engines to continue on to Grand Cayman. Benson says all but one engine are now back on line, and the good news for cruisers on the voyage is the ship will have enough power to finish the trip without further delays.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/blog.aspx

I hope they can get it fixed - we are supposed to sail on Saturday!!!!

:(

An engine failure certainly explains the late arrival as well as the smoke.

I'm surprised that no one aboard has logged into CC to give a report, unless of course none of the passengers noticed. :confused:

Hope they fix her up quick. Just over 60 days and I'll need that ship to cruise the British Isles.

They better fix 'er up faster than that. I'm on that sucker Sat morning!

I've been next to a large diesel generator when the turbocharger went boom. It is not something you want to be standing near.

They better fix 'er up faster than that. I'm on that sucker Sat morning! .

Me TOO!!! I checked with our TA - she is trying to get in touch with Princess. She is confident that they will get it fixed or send another ship for us.

The plot does thicken then! (a little)

The Grand schedule shows that she's supposed to be in Grand Cayman by 07:00, that's 08:00 EST.... It's 09:00 and I just checked and she's STILL on her way? :eek:

Maybe they are having some sort of issue..... :confused:

grand_bridge.jpg

That picture shows her at anchor...she is there, not on her way.

Looking at ***** it shows the Grand in port at Grand Cayman. Thnk this would have hit all the news programs if it were true!

Alright, correction. I hope someone from the ship checks the site to give us an update.

Good luck to those with travel arrangements for her this weekend, what do you think will happen?

Me TOO!!! I checked with our TA - she is trying to get in touch with Princess. She is confident that they will get it fixed or send another ship for us.

I don't think Princess has any "spare" ships sitting around that they could substitute.;)

Mike:)

of course they will say its fixed...:rolleyes:

I hope that all those of you lucky people going on Saturday get away on time and have a great cruise....Engine problems permitting...:D

of course they will say its fixed...:rolleyes:

I hope that all those of you lucky people going on Saturday get away on time and have a great cruise....Engine problems permitting...:D

Gee thanks for the optimism

That picture shows her at anchor...she is there, not on her way.

The picture I attached is constantly updated. Believe me, she was still at sea when her schedule said she should be in port.

Princess says that they were two hours late arriving in the Caymans.

The picture I attached is constantly updated. Believe me, she was still at sea when her schedule said she should be in port.

Princess says that they were two hours late arriving in the Caymans.

yes sorry you were right....I didn't realize the pic you posted changed too

Send another ship for you?

Just quoting what my TA said:

"

What the cruise lines will do is have the ship repaired, if it is not ready in time, they will have another Princess ship put into its place.

I will keep an eye out and see if we hear of anything else."

All I can do is go with what I am told.......

:rolleyes:

"

What the cruise lines will do is have the ship repaired, if it is not ready in time, they will have another Princess ship put into its place.

Yeah lol, maybe find a new TA. That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. It is no fault of your own.

Princess has all of their ships sailing constantly, they dont have any spare ones laying around.

"

Your T.A. feeding you a lot of merde.

Archived