Art Auctions - Buyers Remorse

kimberly1949

Has anybody ever had too much champagne and bid on a piece of art and unfortunately was the winning bidder; then have buyers' remorse and approach the auctioneer later and ask if you could rescind your purchase, only to be refused, and made to complete the sale? I would like to hear other cruisers experiences with the art auctions.:o

Contrary to many of the negative things you hear about the art auction; we thoroughly enjoyed the experience and spend time throughout the cruise to look thru the pieces and determine which was we were interested in buying. We ended up buying several pieces which were shipped home to Canada. Framing costs more than the actual artwork did but these pieces have been hanging in our condo for over 9 years now and we still enjoy them.

Kathy:)

I have had nothing but fun at the art auctions. The champagne is a great help also. I have 4 paintings hanging on the walls at home which my wife and I are very proud and pleased with. So no remorse for us.

Wwwwelllll :)...We went to check out what they had pre auction...and my husband really liked a Reggie Jackson autographed bat. I told him...we didn't have the money. Well after a few champagnes...my paddle was waving in the air. The first time I bid...my husband kept looking around the room to see who was bidding...and he nearly died when he saw my paddle in the air. But honestly...we paid around $200 and I've seen them on ebay sold at $600. So, I guess we did OK. He'll never sell it anyway. He wanted to put it up on our mantle but we settled for a plant shelf (Florida homes usually have atleast one of these darn dust collectors).

Last year on a cruise I "won" a print valued at $500. I put "won" in quotations because the free print still cost me shipping and appraisal charges (yes, I could have declined the appraisal, but wouldn't have proof of its so-called value); think the total was about $85. I've seen a number of the same prints advertised and sold elsewhere for under $200. That being said, while I haven't had the print framed yet (very expensive on-board), I will eventually, and I will proudly display it as my prize won on my cruise. I did offer to give it to either of my kids for their dorm rooms - they both turned me down. No taste, what can I say?

Oh, I should also mention it was a bit of a run-around to get the free print. Was told I had to attend the first auction, then told to come back at a set time (no one there), finally found them the last night of the cruise and got the print (my choice of 5, by the way).

Last year on a cruise I "won" a print valued at $500. I put "won" in quotations because the free print still cost me shipping and appraisal charges (yes, I could have declined the appraisal, but wouldn't have proof of its so-called value); think the total was about $85. I've seen a number of the same prints advertised and sold elsewhere for under $200. That being said, while I haven't had the print framed yet (very expensive on-board), I will eventually, and I will proudly display it as my prize won on my cruise. I did offer to give it to either of my kids for their dorm rooms - they both turned me down. No taste, what can I say?

Oh, I should also mention it was a bit of a run-around to get the free print. Was told I had to attend the first auction, then told to come back at a set time (no one there), finally found them the last night of the cruise and got the print (my choice of 5, by the way).

Same thing happened with me. I won and spent $45 to ship my free painting home. Unfortunately it was not really my taste so I gave it to my SIL but I still had fun drinking the champagne and winning. I am glad to have been able to give something nice to my SIL so no regrets:D

Last week on Voyager, CD Eric gave away some small prints from Park West as prizes during our M&M. He joked that these are fine works of art, drawn as any talented 3rd grader could do! My DD actually ended up winning 2 of them. They're okay, I guess. Because they were small, we didn't have any trouble taking them off with us, and I can frame them myself on the cheap. That is- if I actually want to hang them somewhere.

We also have bought art on board,

Our first cruise we bought 5

Altogether now we have 15, We didn't get them all framed as we have no wall space left to hang them.

We have promised each other not to buy any more, We do check on line once in a while to see the value of the ones we bought, and they have all increased in value over the years.

Will be on the Navigator on the 12th. April,Transatlantic

:p

Yes, it will get peoples' minds off sodas, jeans, & tipping.

you forgot "and smoking." :D

To the OP; we have non-buyers remorse. There was a piece that we really liked, missed the auction, and well, it's not hanging in our house. It would have been a nice piece and I'm sure that it went for far less than we would have been willing to spend.

I have really enjoyed the art auctions, I tend to buy the art that comes with the frame, also have bought walked off since we live in ft lauderdale it is easy for us to take off the ship. I tend to know what they sell before going on the ship so I can price compare. We have bought some nice works of art at reasonable prices. Never let them fool you about the value of the art. If you intend to buy art at the auction buy it because you like the piece not because the auctioneer tells you it is worth x. Another trick I learned and have done is if I see a piece I really like I have bartered with the auctioneer prior to the start of the auction. I bought two pieces that way.

"Add-ons" typically are:

1. 15% buyers premium

2. Shipping charge for artwork (if you buy a Take Off, 0 charge)

3. Appraisal charge (if you decline, 0 charge)

We bought a piece of artwork at the end-of-the-cruise "sale".....we were told it HAD to be shipped - no takeoff option - the shipping was $$$ and of course if we bought more than one piece it would all be included in that shipping price.

We loved the piece BUT it turned out to be more than we "bargained" for.

I won one last cruise. It cost $35 to have it shipped and I declined the appraisal. Haven't had it framed yet....just havent had the energy. It is large and I know from past experience that it is going to be verrrrry expensive (to do it right). DH hates the only other art we have gotten from the auction.

I can't speak on the remorse part. But on our first cruise they were going to have a special Salvador Dali auction. We went at the time specified and no auction. We tried locating the art folks and no one could get in touch with them. And no one knew anything about it. Bummer. I LOVE Dali. So after that, I figured why bother even trying for the next cruise. Just not worth it.

Erika

I personally have never even seen a piece of art on the ship that I could even say I remotely found interesting.

Looks like crap in my opinion.

No need for POPCORN, just saying that I think it is all ugly and while I realize people have different tastes, I still don't understand how most of that stuff sells. :eek: :confused:

Apparently my aunt bought enough art (or spent enough) to be considered one of their top buyers and got a free cruise b/c of it. I never knew the art ppl did that. Makes me think in horror as to what she bought!

I personally have never even seen a piece of art on the ship that I could even say I remotely found interesting.

Looks like crap in my opinion.

No need for POPCORN, just saying that I think it is all ugly and while I realize people have different tastes, I still don't understand how most of that stuff sells. :eek: :confused:

Apparently my aunt bought enough art (or spent enough) to be considered one of their top buyers and got a free cruise b/c of it. I never knew the art ppl did that. Makes me think in horror as to what she bought!

One man's junk (or so poetically put, crap) is another man's treasure.

I saw a show on TV recently about cruise ship art auctions and this one couple bought a few pieces of art, spending about $20K, purchased as an investment. They got home, had it appraised and had about 600 bucks worth of junk. Too much money, not enough sense. I got the feeling from the interview that they were new money trying to act upscale and a bit to big for their britches. Lot of money to spend for free champaign(sp)

All I could think about was how much Natty Lite that $20K would have bought ME:D (If it's good enough for August Busch IV, it's good enough for me:rolleyes: )

I have found that, if you approach the art people with all this knowledge (from these boards) in your back pocket, they never fill you in completely on the total costs of purchasing and always make it seem like you have to pay certain fees (like the appraisal fee).

I admit, I enjoy getting them flustered by being a difficult customer with a lot of questions. I feel it reveals a lot about the true nature of the employees (I think they are paid on commission) and the establishment as a whole when I have an art auction employee not favor me as a potential customer because I am asking FAR too many questions.

I wish I could say that I would go just for the champagne but Cook's champagne always ends up giving me a headache...

Archived