Would you pay $100 to attend the inaugural ceremony for Eurodam?

Would you pay $100 to go to Eurodam's christening?  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay $100 to go to Eurodam's christening?

• Yes -- that's a fair price.
    • Maybe -- if I get to mingle with celebrities and royalty.
    • No -- this is just another way for cruise lines to nickel and dime passengers.
    • No -- I have better things to do with my time and money.

Judy, it's not quite true that all previous HAL Dedications have been by invitation/no charge. The Noordam's Dedication was also open to anybody who was aboard for the Inaugural cruise, with no extra charge for it. If one paid for that cruise, one was invited to attend the ceremony. I was aboard for a special luncheon and such before the dedication, but even had I not been invited to that I still would have been aboard for the Dedication because, if you remember, the ship sailed only about an hour after it was all over. Sadly, you couldn't stay aboard for that. :( I'm so happy you will be this time. :D

I hope so, too, Greg. I see my surgeon Wednesday and will learn if he is allowing us to go. It's not that long since surgery.

Rev. Neal-

This has been said before, but there are some who were not admitted to the ceremony on the Noordam Inaugural, but were ushered to the Lido Pool and and asked to remain there until the ceremony was over. When this was brought up previously, other posters corrected us and thought that had not been our experience. All of those waiting in the Lido Pool area can affirm that not all were welcomed to attend the dedication. We arrived at the terminal prior to the beginning of boarding, so your comment about going to the ceremony directly from the special luncheon might explain how it was handled. Boarding might have begun after that luncheon if it took place early.

I was not aware of this, and I'm sorry to read it. I know several people who were in attendance in the Show Lounge for the Ceremony who were not at the luncheon and who boarded at the normal time ... so ... I'm not sure why some were taken to the Lido and others let into the lounge. Again, I'm sorry that this happened to you ... I was not aware that it had happened (and I don't remember it being reported here ... I'm not saying it wasn't, just that I don't remember it).

At any rate, I would make sure to pay the fee to be sure of inclusion if it was important to me to attend. I would think if they are charging, they will make plans to not have it open to others that are otherwise at the pier area.

We've already paid it ... it was included in our final payment, and I have the invoice from my TA saying "paid in full" ... so ....

I hope so, too, Greg. I see my surgeon Wednesday and will learn if he is allowing us to go. It's not that long since surgery.

With another 2 and 3 weeks to go, I would certainly hope that you'll be well-enough recovered by then to make the trip. I'll certainly pray that direction for you.

Again, Rita ... thank you. I agree entirely. And I will definitely be saying something to this effect ... perhaps directly to Mr. Kruse, himself, if I have the chance during the Prelude cruise.

Ask him if he can sleep at night after making that decision.

I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruises and at the cermony. Take lots of pictures. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I was not aware you had surgery, Sail. I hope all is well and you are far along on the mend I also hope your surgeon gives you the green light for your cruise too!

Blue skies ...

--rita

Sail

I didn't know you recently had surgery either. Hope you are feeling better and back in "ship shape" very soon :)

Ask him if he can sleep at night after making that decision.

LOL ... I'm sure his answer will be "but of course!" :D "It was just a business decision ... nothing personal."

I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruises and at the cermony. Take lots of pictures. :)

Thanks!!!!! You should have no question either! Both will be easy to do!!! :D

All I know for sure is that I'm not about to fly half way around the planet and pay through the nose to take a 23-day cruise, and yet be so stingy as to miss the formal Dedication ceremony simply because I'm offended at having to pay a piddling additional $100 pp.

I am a bit confused. I travel half-way around the world, pay a lot for a cruise, and still get charged for sodas, coffee, water, or other sundry items - do I complain .. and I always get a deluxe suite.

On Crystal, I get charged for little if anything - but I pay about three times as much as HAL for the same accommodations which they call penthouse suite.

Rev .. it seems to me this is the culture of HAL to be a bit thrifty on pricing and on freebies ... and thus, I am not the least bit surprised at their charging 100 .. alternatively, they could have charged more for the trip and included the ceremony, sodas, coffee, water, or other sundry items - then would that make everyone feel better?

I am not trying to be argumentative; it just seems that everyone wants it both ways.

harry

We are booked for 23 days starting in Rotterdam. I don't see us paying $100/pp for this 'honor'. We're primarily interested in the 'cruise' experience. given what we're paying for this cruise (along with DH's time off work without pay), we obviously can afford the $100/pp, but doing so because of the prospect of "possibly meet and mingle with celebs and royalty" is laughable. I can't think of many "celebs and royalty" I'd cross the street to meet, let alone pay $100/pp. :eek:

One of my relatives is among the 'invited'. Unfortunately, he has a conflict and is unable to attend - or sail for the 3-days. I probably would have attend with him, as his wife wouldn't have wanted to do so. If we were invited by HAL, we'd consider going, I can't even say we would definitely attend. But otherwise.....

I didn't vote, because my answer would have been just plain 'no'.

Who was "invited"? HAL employees?

Thanks Greg, Babyher and Kryos.......

Pretty serious stuff (heart valve surgery) but I'm on the mend. Just hope surgeon thinks I've 'mended enough' to allow us to make our final payment next week and plan to travel to Eurodam. My cardiologist said 'No' to our going to Maasdam and we cancelled.... but we'll see.

Pretty serious stuff (heart valve surgery) but I'm on the mend. Just hope surgeon thinks I've 'mended enough' to allow us to make our final payment next week and plan to travel to Eurodam. My cardiologist said 'No' to our going to Maasdam and we cancelled.... but we'll see.

I'm sorry to hear that, sail, but am thankful you're on the mend.

I'm so relieved to see that you're feeling better - the Zodiac Room at Neiman Marcus misses you! ;)

Looking forward to seeing you and Mr S7S in Europe!

:)

Wow! Glad to hear you are on the mend, though.

As for the Eurodam ... just tell the surgeon that there is no better place to recuperate than onboard a luxurous HAL ship ... especially a brand new one!

Blue skies!

--rita

I am sorry to hear that , but glad that you are recovering well.

Hope you will be getting good news on Wednesday regarding your cruise :)

Sail: got my fingers crossed and sending good thoughts your way! Tell your good surgeon that your "public" needs you and DH on this cruise! ;)

Judy ... tell your good surgeon that going on the cruise will generate a significant helping of healthy relaxation, while being forced to cancel will upset you greatly. :D

Pretty serious stuff (heart valve surgery) but I'm on the mend.
You have our best wishes. I went through this a few years ago with my father. Obviously, if you're considering travel, you are past the worst part of the recovery for him (and others we've known who have had this surgery) - you can once again put your hands above shoulder height. :D

we live in the Rotterdam area and we will sail on the Eurodam cruise from Rotterdam. We would never forgive ourself if we would not be a part of this. It's not a thing that happens every week and we would not want to mis the oportunity to take great pictures.

http://www.aadhoogesteger.nl/cruiseschepen/index.html our pictures

Archived