London Transportation

Hplar

We just returned from Summit's transatlantic trip. When we arrived in London we were shocked by the transportation prices from Southampton to London and from London to either Gatwick or Heathrow airports. Since we had lots of luggage after the long TA trip, I couldn't imagine trying to go from Victoria Station to Gatwick for our departure. Several taxi’s quoted me 100 GBP ($200) for the ride. I found a company that picked us up at the hotel, drove us to Gatwick and even paid 1 GBP for a luggage carrier for us for 50 GBP. I know I can't provide the name of the company because it would be advertising; but if anyone is doing summer cruising out of Southampton and needs excellent service from the cruise terminal to either of the airports or to London; send me an email and I'll send you contact information. grindland@embarqmail.com

Victoria (Railway) Station to Gatwick Airport is absolutely no problem at all as the Gatwick Express leaves from there. You can also board other trains which stop at Gatwick but are not called 'The Express' and therefore they are cheaper, although the journey will be a bit longer as the train calls at other stations on the way!

Yes, Victoria to/from Gatwick is a breeze by train. Can't imagine doing it any other way. Fast, frequent, comfortable, punctual. And the station at Gatwick is right underneath the airport concourse; escalators & elevators up & down.

Rail travel in Europe is part of the landscape, unlike in North America, where it is shunned. Embrace it.

Also, for cruisers to/from Southampton there is a train service every hour between Victoria / Gatwick and Southampton. The station in Southampton is about a five minute cab ride from the cruise terminal (ten minutes for Cunard).

Piece of cake.

Wouldn't do it any other way.

As well as the train being a convenient, efficient service, it is quicker than by road.

BTW, If you have to take the tube to the train in London, you can check on the internet which tube stations have lifts (for luggage).

We just returned from Summit's transatlantic trip. When we arrived in London we were shocked by the transportation prices from Southampton to London and from London to either Gatwick or Heathrow airports. Since we had lots of luggage after the long TA trip, I couldn't imagine trying to go from Victoria Station to Gatwick for our departure. Several taxi’s quoted me 100 GBP ($200) for the ride. I found a company that picked us up at the hotel, drove us to Gatwick and even paid 1 GBP for a luggage carrier for us for 50 GBP. I know I can't provide the name of the company because it would be advertising; but if anyone is doing summer cruising out of Southampton and needs excellent service from the cruise terminal to either of the airports or to London; send me an email and I'll send you contact information. grindland@embarqmail.com

How much do you expect a cab would charge from New York City to Philidelphia recently? Southampton and London are a good distance apart (75 miles), and cabs are never a good deal for long distance travel.

The train from Victoria to Gatwick is simplicity. You get on, you get out at the airport. At the airport station, you get off, get on an elevator and VOILA! you're in the terminal building. No shuttles, no long walks. I'd hesitate to guess you probably ended up walking less than from where a cab would be allowed to drop you.

This is not North American train service where you never know when you'll get there, or a 5ft hop to get off the train. It's more comfortable, easier, and faster than a cab, not to mention 1/4 the cost. Most major airports in Europe have direct (and I mean AT THE AIRPORT) connections to rail links that will take you almost anywhere.

LHR/Heathrow -> Southampton: I'd recommend coach from Heathrow, as there's no direct rail link to the west. National Express run coaches to Southampton (near the train station), or as an alternate, a short coach to Woking and grab the main line to Southampton from there. 2hrs

LGW/Gatwick -> Southampton: Hourly (direct) train from Gatwick Airport to Southampton Central, which is within sight of your cruise ship (except Cunard). If you're willing to change trains at Clapham Jct, it's even more frequent. 2hrs

BHX/Birmingham -> Southampton: Hourly (direct) train from Birmingham airport. 2hr15m

SOU/Southampton -> Southampton Central. Trains every 10 mins approx, takes 7 minutes costs GBP3

The only large airports I can think of in the south of england that don't have good connections BOH/Bournemouth and BRS/Bristol where you need to take a shuttle bus to downtown to catch a train.

Reading these threads I'm continuously amazed at how many people are completely scared of rail service in Europe. Try it, it actually works very well!

I agree there is nothing to be afraid of with European rail service, as the rail service is often better than the air service in Europe.

We flew to Frankfurt, then caught the train to Amsterdam, Holland from within the terminal.

How easy is that?

For a brief visit, we caught the free airport shuttle to an Amsterdam Airport hotel, then used that as our base for touring Holland by their efficient train system.

Hi. We returned via private car from the dock. We were both too sick to chance the bus. You got off very cheap. Since Celebrity organized the transfer, it was probably twice the price to begin with. Looking at the taxis, however, I was glad to be in the big car. Hopefully, our travel insurance will be able to help us cover the some of the excessive fee for that car. I'm not holding my breath, because the doctors who treated us on board would not write a letter on our behalf.

--Judy

Sure you can name the company! People recommend companies all the time on these threads. That is one of the best things about the threads is the wealth of information. Clearly, anyone reading your post with a company name needs to do their own research and make their own decision.

One of my best excursions came from a recommendation of a guy/company to us in Costa Rica. :)

Victoria (Railway) Station to Gatwick Airport is absolutely no problem at all as the Gatwick Express leaves from there. You can also board other trains which stop at Gatwick but are not called 'The Express' and therefore they are cheaper, although the journey will be a bit longer as the train calls at other stations on the way!

We have done Gatwick to Victoria station and back numerous times. It is not a problem, but is not great. The rail cars have places to place the luggage. If I remember, there are steps from the airport to the train platform and if you are carring numerous bags, then you just need to be prepared.

Once at Victoria Station, we did have to hail a taxi to our final hotel destination after pulling the luggage the full length of Victoria Station. The taxi was packed to the gills with me, DW and 2 DD's and all the associated luggage.

We did the train from London to Southampton and it was no problem. We also did the Gatwick express and again no problem.

In fact, we flew from Venice- London and then did the Gatwick express into the city. At the other end, a kind porter wheeled our luggage to the hotel two blocks away. I gave him 5 pounds but there was no charge (although I am sure he thought I would tip him). Very nice welcome to London!

From Victoria to Southampton it was a lovely train ride. I met a man who was also going to our ship (in our case QM2). We split that very short taxi ride. It was about 5 pounds.

We did the train from London to Southampton and it was no problem. We also did the Gatwick express and again no problem.

In fact, we flew from Venice- London and then did the Gatwick express into the city. At the other end, a kind porter wheeled our luggage to the hotel two blocks away. I gave him 5 pounds but there was no charge (although I am sure he thought I would tip him). Very nice welcome to London!

From Victoria to Southampton it was a lovely train ride. I met a man who was also going to our ship (in our case QM2). We split that very short taxi ride. It was about 5 pounds.

I hope all these positive comments about trains in Europe are true, because we plan to book London to Paris on the Eurostar and then overnight to Venice for our 12-night departure.

See comments on this Europe thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=745006

Anyone here done this before that can comment ?

Roy & Val

Can anyone help with Harwich to LHR transportation ideas? Taking TA next year on Constellation. We will not have a lot of luggage - 2 suitcases and one or two carryons. Any suggestions are welcome.

Keep cruising...............

Can anyone help with Harwich to LHR transportation ideas? Taking TA next year on Constellation. We will not have a lot of luggage - 2 suitcases and one or two carryons. Any suggestions are welcome.

This link may help:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g315968-i10026-k382335-Heathrow_to_Harwich-Harwich_Essex_England.html

Andy53

I can't comment on the train to Venice, but whilst my daughter was in London she used to catch the Eurostar from London to Paris and London to Belgium for a long weekend, for the pleasure of the train trip.

I find travelling on European trains a joy - less stressful than flying, with beautiful scenery thrown in! When we travelled by train direct from Frankfurt airport to Amsterdam airport, we waited on the platform where our tickets indicated and the correct carriage of the train stopped in front of us - heaven! In addition, going through border control is quick and painless, unlike flying.

I can understand why Americans don't fully appreciate the excellence of the European train system, as we've travelled on Amtrak.

One memorable journey, in winter, was from Orlando to Montreal return (yes, I didn't understand the state of Amtrak) - the toilets blocked up and the heating packed it in! It was so cold the man in the seat behind had shower caps, over his socks, on his feet!!

Andy53

When we travelled by train direct from Frankfurt airport to Amsterdam airport, we waited on the platform where our tickets indicated and the correct carriage of the train stopped in front of us - heaven!

I did have an alarming experience a few years ago on a train from Milan to Bellagio on Lake Como.

Halfway to Bellagio, the back half of the train was uncoupled and we were deposited in some other strange town. Took us two bus trips to get to where we should have been 2 hours earlier.

The language barrier was also a bit of a problem !!!

Roy & Val

Yes, we've had train adventures in Europe also.

Thanks for the memory, as I'd forgotten about those trains which split in half en route.

I used to live in terror that I'd be on the wrong half.

What happened to you was just what I'd imagined would happen, with the language barrier thrown in for good measure.

At least you got to see some of the countryside you wouldn't have seen otherwise, but guess you could have lived without the experience. :)

One time, after a memorable visit to Paris, our family was waiting on the correct train platform to catch the train back to the airport. We thought it was strange that the platform was empty and kept hearing announcements in French, which were no good to us. Being our last day, we had no French money left, so a taxi to the airport wasn't an alternative.

Fortunately, eventually staff redirected us to another platform, as there was a train strike, and we made the plane.

Another time in Paris, after 5 months in Europe, we put all our luggage in lockers at the train station before we took the hire car back. Next day, when we went to catch the train, they had shifted the departure to another train station. Again end of holiday, no taxi money left, no alternative but to take subway with a mountain of luggage, and two children just in time to catch the train to UK.

I did have an alarming experience a few years ago on a train from Milan to Bellagio on Lake Como.

Halfway to Bellagio, the back half of the train was uncoupled and we were deposited in some other strange town. Took us two bus trips to get to where we should have been 2 hours earlier.

The language barrier was also a bit of a problem !!!

Roy & Val

The get to Bellagio, you have to take the train to Varenna and then the ferry to Bellagio. I wonder what route you were on?

The get to Bellagio, you have to take the train to Varenna and then the ferry to Bellagio. I wonder what route you were on?

Looking back I see we were headed for Menaggio, to take the ferry to get to Varenna.

One can take the train from Milan to the eastern or western side of Lake Como.

Belllagio was a day trip for us.

Varenna was magical !!! What a lovely village/town, with an amazing history.

Isabella,

Trains go from Liverpool Street Station directly to Harwich. We have used these twice. The first time the train traveled on the left side track, and our car stopped within 100 feet of the port baggage collection area. For some reason the second time the train traveled on the right side track and we had to walk to a crossing about 300 feet away.

For our last trip (second) the cab from Rubins at the Palace Hotel to the Liverpool station was about £18. Rubins is midway between Buckingham Palace and Victoria Station. The cab took us directly to the station's lower level, that level where the ticket counters and the tracks are. There were also luggage trolleys available there. The first time, our cab dropped us at the front door one level up. We did not know of the lower entrance. However, there is one lift (elevator) on the left side of the long hall as you enter the station. It will not be obvious until you are almost at its door.

For anyone wondering about a train to Dover, try Victoria and Waterloo Stations.

Sorry, I now see that I misread your post. But I spent all this time putting it together, so will leave it on. Reverse my directions and at least get into London. Unfortunately, trains go from London to LHR only from a station north of Hyde Park. If you wanted to heft your luggage onto and off a subway (underground) you can get to LHR on the Piccadilly line. The Covent Garden Piccadilly tube station has a lift (elevator) if you wanted to get to there by taxi from Liverpool to avoid transferring from one tube to another to get to the Piccadilly line.

Someone else may know more. Perhaps London Transport has a bus from Liverpool to LHR.

Bob :cool:

LHR/Heathrow is West of London, Harwich is NE of London; which all makes for a quite annoying connection. While there are many car companies, and the cruise line that will do the transfer, I would expect it to be 2-3 hours. You might want to consider flying from STN/London Stansted airport, which would be a much shorter car ride from Harwich. AA operate daily STN-JFK.

Archived