Correct Terminology

custompcsys

Cabin, stateroom, room? Boat, ship? Does not matter to me what you call it as long as I can eat in that dinning room and have stewart make my bed.

By "stewart" I assume you are referring to someone in Martha's family?;)

I've read many a post here where people talk about their rooms, ask for help selecting a room, etc, etc, and have always answered where my experience allowed. However, I always thought that if a sleeping accommodation was on a ship it was referred to as a cabin or stateroom, not a room like in a land-based hotel. Before you all flame me I'm not trying to correct or pick on anyone, I'm just trying to learn something I've been curious about in reading the boards :)

Which is the proper reference...room, stateroom, or cabin? Thanks! :)

I still use "cabin," but can't seem to grasp using "Passenger Services Desk." It was always the "Purser's Desk" and always will be to me. Oh, and I walk down the "passageway" to get there.;) I guess you can tell who has been cruising a long time...:)

Since we are discussing terms

Remember when it was "Personel Office" then "Human Resourses". I wonder what it is called on the "StarCruiseShip Enterprise" with those Alien life forms.

Alien Resources...? Life Form Office???:confused:

[quote name='nabby']Make sure those phasers are set to stun, not kill. ;)[/QUOTE]

Has anyone heard them say "Set the phasers to kill"?

Phasers are the most common and standard weapon in the arsenal of Starfleet and several other powers.
from
[url]http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Phaser[/url]

The soda, pop thing reminds me of when I was growing up. We would call the comic page the "funnies." I can't remember what my father called them. He grew up in Chicago and would refer to carbonated drinks as pop. I guess it's a regional thing.

When I first started reading this thread, I was waiting for someone to bring up "stewart" and Martha Stewart. It does drive me crazy when someone writes "dinning room." Even my ten year old knows how to spell dining room.

People also seem to misuse "its" and "it's," "lose" and "loose," and "chose" and "choose."

[QUOTE=spongerob;14284008I'm surprised no one with a military background has reminded people that the correct definition for the place you sleep is, "your space."[/QUOTE]

Why is the bathroom called the head?
from
[url]http://www.ancientsites.com/aw/Post/605441[/url]

And don't even bring up the "Poop Deck"

Okay, let's all get it out of our systems right now. The poop deck of a sailing ship has absolutely no connection with a certain bodily function
from
[url]http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-poop-deck.htm[/url]

My DH and I, he is from the midwest, hecalled it pop, I called it soda-we compromised, it's called soda-pop. With all of the text messaging going on , there will be no spelling in the next generation. The period in grammar is now called a dot. This must be how language changes.

I'm not sure about where it is anywhere else in the country, but from my experience I think the "Pop Line" goes straight down somewhere through the middle of Pennsylvania (I would estimate somewhere around Altoona or Johnstown). I'm in South Central PA and it is soda here and everywhere else east of here, but I know in Pittsburgh it is pop...so that line is somewhere between here and there. :D

Isn't it funny how we have so many regional dialects? I still, however, refuse to use all of the texting abbreviations...I refuse to lose my whole words.

Archived