ACCIDENT on Mariner of the Seas 03-30-08

You are a business invitee on the vessel. The owner has a duty to make reasonable inspections to look for foreign substances, spills, etc. They have a duty to warn of hidden conditions... something that is open and obvious doesn't require a warning. As a reasonable prudent person, you are expected to watch where you are walking...

Hope you are feeling better now.

LL

I got hurt on the Mariner, but not there. The Schooner Lounge has a step up to a second level that juts out. I was chasing after Hubby because he always walks so fast and I can't keep up. So I was looking for him to be sure he didn't get so far ahead that I would lose him. And, whoops, I fell flat on my face having tripped right over the place where that step juts out!

I got a lot of bruises on my lower legs, but the greatest pain was sheer embarrassment of falling so clumsily in front of the fully packed lounge. I'll say this though. Not one person came to help me up! I guess they just assumed I was some drunk and didn't want anything to do with me. So I managed to get up, brushed myself off and hurried off to once again chase my Hubby. I know my face was red.

I do sympathize with the OP's accident. I've since fallen UP the "glass" stairs of the Centrum on the Jewel of the Seas and tripped over our bedspread on Liberty of the Seas narrowing missing the glass coffee table. I confess to being unusually clutzy, though, on cruise ships.

LA Solomon, I hope you recover soon.

This is funny. My wife fell on the same step. Just on the Navigator. She too fell like a clutz and nobody came to help her. :D

Just based on the key words of the OP, this smells like a fishing expedition for a lawsuit.

Looking for corroborating stories.

Funny you said that. After I was reading the post I got stuck on the following line:

The main reason I'm posting this is to find out if anyone either on that trip or at any time have had a problem with this area on the ship. Everyone that saw my arm in a sling asked about it and after hearing what happened, most of them knew the area I was talking about and had some kind of uncomfortable experience with it.

This is fishing to proof negligence by RCI.

Then you come across this

Can I give you my business card???

:mad:

I stumbled and almost fell in that area. Usually I'm totally on floor watch as, it only takes a small change in the ground level for me to go down. But there was so much else to see, that I was looking up. I caught myself before I could go down.

Blame needs to start at home. If I had been paying attention to what I was doing, then I wouldn't have stumbled.

After reading this thread I am truely amazed. These message boards are filled with such an eclectic group. We have the critics,cynics,defenders,offenders, fishers,trolls,suporters, blamers, flamers, abstainers, self proclaimed maritime law experts, self proclaimed cruise ship design experts, the list of special people on here is endless. If it sails with the crown and anchor, just mention the name and 50 "experts" about every aspect of her will descend upon your thread to either demean you or clarify why you are mistaken.

With that being said, I find it an awe inspiring feat that most of you who regularly feel we need your "2 cents" on these boards can enjoy a cruise.

I wish you all peace, happiness and smooth sailing.

P.S. dont bother flaming me, I won't be back on these boards for some time as I can see nothing has changed since I last passed this way.

Cruising is a natural vacation selection for the "elderly", "less mobile", "immobile", "overweight", "out of shape" and/or "fragile" traveler because it allows people to travel, see lots of sites with minimum mobility.

Heck.... when I am in my wheelchair I hope to keep cruising. :D

As such I am surprised there are not more such incidents.... especially in rough seas.

Actually crocs can be really dangerous on that type of surface, highly polished/varnished because they "stick".

I agree,

Also, I learned this from my orthopedic surgeon after I tripped on slight incline on asphalt, the loose fit cause the shoe to slide down your foot and so the tip of the shoe contacts the ground before your foot and you trip. It was an expensive, painful lesson.

I can clearly see the curvature just by looking at the railing. It doesn't look like there are any actual steps up, but appears to be just a gentle 'hill' (for lack of a better term)

May I ask why you think such a walkway is dangerous? I would think if one was walking at a normal gait it shouldn't be a problem.[/quote]

I had difficulty just about every time I walked on this area on the Mariner and her sister ships also. I would lose my footing and nearly lose my balance and I'm not elderly. It's a bad design for sure.

No dont take away the sloping bridge, I love that. I dont think that it is a bad design at all. I have sliped more on the tile on the Royal Promenade when I was wearing new dress shoes, didnt scuff up the soles:D

Just wanted to say thank you so much for your response from my post. I should have added that I had my 'crocs' on and was walking at a normal pace.

Thanks for your concern!

Happy and SAFE Crusing!

Linda

Sorry you had a bad experience and got hurt... Honestly i would be careful what I post here publicly if you have any intentions of filing any sort of claim.

Oh, Crocs rule; They are the most comfy thing I've ever worn.

I'm in the medical field where crocs are abundant. Have a pair as everyone said they were so comfy. About 2 to 3 times per day, I would nearly trip on a flat surface. Horrible horrible shoes. Also, it turns out that they are bad for the feet. Lots of heel spurs popping out, and the first thing the docs say is get rid of the crocs, get a great pair of New Balance, get a great pair of orthotics. The crocs currently occupy a corner of my closet. If the OP is looking for a lawsuit, she will be unhappy. The shoes have a lot of fingers pointing at them for injuries. If she wants something for her carlessness, better to try the shoe company.

Just based on the key words of the OP, this smells like a fishing expedition for a lawsuit.

Looking for corroborating stories.

I don't agree. I had a similar "whoopsee" experience the first time I crossed that bridge thingy on an RCCL ship. I stumbled a little when I first walked across it. It's a depth perception thing: your brain thinks it's flat, and the floor is sooner than expected on the first or second step. I caught my balance, but I can see how someone could trip if they were distracted or hurrying.

I am sorry to hear of your accident. I wish you a rapid recovery. ;)

I spent two weeks on the Navigator which has the identical "bridge" and had no problem at all walking in that area. I never found it to be sticky or slippery.

I'm in the medical field where crocs are abundant. Have a pair as everyone said they were so comfy. About 2 to 3 times per day, I would nearly trip on a flat surface. Horrible horrible shoes.

You are spot on with the crocs comment. Many facilities are banning them. If you get them the least bit wet, they slide like crazy, but otherwise, they "stick" to the floor and cause a lot of stumbling injuries. I adored mine, but after several falls, figure out they were the culprit. I hate it, though, 'cause they were so comfy!

Oh, and to prove you can fall anywhere (especially if you are me), I fell on the Enchantment in January on the "faux grass" like stuff they have around the pools. You know, the stuff that's there to keep you from falling when it's wet. Siiiiigh. I cannot win!!!

You are spot on with the crocs comment. Many facilities are banning them. If you get them the least bit wet, they slide like crazy, but otherwise, they "stick" to the floor and cause a lot of stumbling injuries. I adored mine, but after several falls, figure out they were the culprit. I hate it, though, 'cause they were so comfy!

Oh, and to prove you can fall anywhere (especially if you are me), I fell on the Enchantment in January on the "faux grass" like stuff they have around the pools. You know, the stuff that's there to keep you from falling when it's wet. Siiiiigh. I cannot win!!!

You're in good company. **sigh** Even after dancing for twenty years, I still have the grace of a new born calf when walking.

Anyways, my crocs stay in my closet as well since I broke my arm. They suddenly didn't seem so comfy after I had to spend an entire summer heat wave in a full arm cast.

I avoid those bridges on the fleet; I know they are annoying to walk on depending on what shoes I have on and whether I am wearing my bifocal eyeglasses or my contact lenses, because my depth perception changes.

As others have posted, the bridges aren't the only things onboard that can be troublesome, especially in rough seas. New shoes, even new New Balances, can add to the situation.

I have learned to be very careful and pay extra attention. Meanwhile, my Brian has never had a problem anywhere ever. Figures! :p

Bon Voyage~~

Leslie

Talk to any podiatrist (I have a couple as clients) and they will go on about how bad and dangerous flips and crocs are for the feet. Absolutely no support and the sliding around on the feet causes problems, such as the op had.

They say that they are worse than spike heels because when a woman is wearing spikes she knows they are not steady and pays extra attention to where and how she is walking; not so the crocs which give a false sense of security.

And then you have the population that travels wearing crocs and flips with all the stress and danger with everybody using clumsy wheeled luggage, escalators with grooves, unfamiliar floor surfaces, etc. a disaster waiting to happen.

Give me sturdy well made sneakers any day.

Talk to any podiatrist (I have a couple as clients) and they will go on about how bad and dangerous flips and crocs are for the feet. Absolutely no support and the sliding around on the feet causes problems, such as the op had.

They say that they are worse than spike heels because when a woman is wearing spikes she knows they are not steady and pays extra attention to where and how she is walking; not so the crocs which give a false sense of security.

And then you have the population that travels wearing crocs and flips with all the stress and danger with everybody using clumsy wheeled luggage, escalators with grooves, unfamiliar floor surfaces, etc. a disaster waiting to happen.

Give me sturdy well made sneakers any day.

I saw a teen running across a street in flip flops and almost get killed because they made her trip.

Archived